The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg Prologue
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Sandman View Post
You have a bit more leverage now. Australian Consumer Law gives you an immediate right to a refund or replacement in the case of a major fault.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...major-problem-
Thanks for this. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Returned it today... needs to go to CMI in Melbourne. I read the ACCC stuff... I wonder what a “reasonable” amount of time is considered to be?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamts13 View Post
Thanks for this. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Returned it today... needs to go to CMI in Melbourne. I read the ACCC stuff... I wonder what a “reasonable” amount of time is considered to be?
I've asked this question, it means reasonable in all the circumstances.

If the circumstances are that you are a working musician and you rely upon the instrument to work then a two week turnaround would be ok, four weeks marginal, more than four weeks unreasonable.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That really stinks. There's no reason in this day and age why a current model synth should take 9 weeks to be made good under warranty.

I don't care what Korg release, I'll never buy another Korg product.
I am going to call Korg again on Monday and see what they have to say. Talking to the Korg rep last time, they really take NO responsibility for repairs. He even went as far to say that I should "shop around" for a better service center that would be more responsive.

Maybe I can get them to understand that 2 months for warranty repair really is unreasonable. Not getting my hopes up though. I've already written off the $1400 (and Korg), as my mental health is worth much more.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I am going to call Korg again on Monday and see what they have to say. Talking to the Korg rep last time, they really take NO responsibility for repairs. He even went as far to say that I should "shop around" for a better service center that would be more responsive.

Maybe I can get them to understand that 2 months for warranty repair really is unreasonable. Not getting my hopes up though. I've already written off the $1400 (and Korg), as my mental health is worth much more.
Korg has the warranty responsibility, THEY are the ones that set up service centers to do their warranty work, not you. Telling you to shop around for a different Service Center is a pile of crap. If the Service Center is not in your state, you might have to file a complaint in the state the SC is located.

Call your State's Attorney General's office and FILE A COMPLAIN. There are fitness of use laws that protect buyers against being hung out to dry by a product that doesn't work. I don't know how your state handles complaints, but a complaint filed by a State's AG holds a lot more weight than an end user.

Don't sit back and quietly take what they are handing you. Raise hell and do it loudly.

Mike T.
Old 5 days ago
Korg should be bending over backwards to take care of their customers at this point. Especially after the way they mishandled the "tuna-gate" affair. I don't get this behavior at all. I've always loved Korg's synths and almost always had one if not more of their offerings in my setup. Sadly, that has changed.

If these recent posts were about a Sequential synth suddenly not powering up you would have one or more Sequential employees here in minutes offering excellent help and support advice.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It makes it feel like Korg is in trouble. Which also wouldn't be good for Waldorf, who are relying on them in the US at least for repairs and distribution. Sigh.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
It makes it feel like Korg is in trouble. Which also wouldn't be good for Waldorf, who are relying on them in the US at least for repairs and distribution. Sigh.
yep.
Money set aside for a Quantum. But I'll hold off for now.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Nah...I doubt they're anywhere near trouble. All those Volcas and now the Minilogue XD.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
If I had a Prologue, or any synth that has Patch storage, I would go through the factory patches, and make note of the sounds I would not use, and try to group sounds together by category, and try to organize the sounds in order to find then easily for LIVE shows. That may not be easy on a synth that has no easy way to organize sounds, or have a "performance" section to put them for later use.

Mike T.
There is a life mode, no need for a librarian software.

You can group presets based on "like" also.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
CMI handle Korg in Australia, along with many other brands.

That said, I was appalled that it took nine weeks for my MS-20 Mini to be "repaired" and then came back to me with the same problem. After much consternation on the phone I got a new unit which I promptly sold.

No more Korg products for me. Just seeing how lousy Korg was at addressing the tuning issue on the Prologue is enough not to consider supporting them.
I have the same experience with a Deepmind12.
Its easier for them to give you a new unit.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
"Originally Posted by Holden Sandman View Post
CMI handle Korg in Australia, along with many other brands.

That said, I was appalled that it took nine weeks for my MS-20 Mini to be "repaired" and then came back to me with the same problem. After much consternation on the phone I got a new unit which I promptly sold.

No more Korg products for me. Just seeing how lousy Korg was at addressing the tuning issue on the Prologue is enough not to consider supporting them"

Hmm......So the problem with Korg is not just with a design flaw with the Prologue, its Korg's Service Centers. Korg choose the Service Center based on who was available, what it would cost. and other factors. CMI is not getting the job done, and if Korg doesn't address the problem, they will be the losers.

This information is another reason to hang our hats on this Forum.

Mike T.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hmm......So the problem with Korg is not just with a design flaw with the Prologue, its Korg's Service Centers. Korg choose the Service Center based on who was available, what it would cost. and other factors. CMI is not getting the job done, and if Korg doesn't address the problem, they will be the losers.
In my case CMI were fantastic, it was getting the part needed that was the problem, it was just after the MS-20 mini was released and Korg had NO spare parts available anywhere. It was CMI who made the decision to end up replacing the machine.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
That's good to know. So Korg is the cause of the problem. That said, its not unusual for spare parts to lag behind a new synth.

Back in the Dark Ages, I bought my equipment from a Local Music Store. Unfortunately most Locally owned music stores are now a part of History. No more reliable local service for most musicians is the norm. Pack it up, ship it back at your expense and wait.

Mike T.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Korg has the warranty responsibility,

Don't sit back and quietly take what they are handing you. Raise hell and do it loudly.

Mike T.
So I called the repair center to get some info that I would need to contact Korg USA directly. The repair tech said he would call them as well. I did contact Korg (for the second time). I told them they should replace the unit. They again said they would have to go through the tech center, but said I would get a return call from Korg once he talked to the tech.

Got a call today from Korg USA....they said they are shipping a new unit to the service center. Talked to the service center, and they said they would call me as soon as it arrived.

Still won't be fully at ease until the Prologue is in my possession, but it seems that Korg are taking responsibility.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I called the repair center to get some info that I would need to contact Korg USA directly. The repair tech said he would call them as well. I did contact Korg (for the second time). I told them they should replace the unit. They again said they would have to go through the tech center, but said I would get a return call from Korg once he talked to the tech.

Got a call today from Korg USA....they said they are shipping a new unit to the service center. Talked to the service center, and they said they would call me as soon as it arrived.

Still won't be fully at ease until the Prologue is in my possession, but it seems that Korg are taking responsibility.
Here's hoping it woks out for you - your posts have been more measured and thoughtful than the majority of those on GS nowadays despite your genuinely unreasonable experiences . All the best to you - all the best with this.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

I'm very happy to hear the news! I am a bit surprised that they are sending a new KB. Maybe they KNOW there's a problem with some of the earlier units and want to take it out of your hands. Getting a replacement isn't always an easy expectation. I do hope it works for you!

Cheers!

Mike T.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

After returning my DM12 I had 900 Euros to spend and went for a Prologue 8. After all, very fat sounds are possible, even vintage (when carefully programmed).

Does anyone notice slight sporadic high frequent distortion with some presets using resonance? I heard similar distortion in the shop on a demo unit. I wonder if this happens only with earlier units.

I remember it was preset 5 or 6 (I overwrote them)

Drive is at minimum position. To avoid this I have to reduce the oscillator gains into the mixer, but then the sound gets colder. I hope it is not the internal AD converter after the filter seeing a too got signal and getting overdriven, because it sounds a bit like clipping. Probably headphones required to hear this.

Last edited by Synthpark; 1 day ago at 05:26 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Once in a while when I manually tune my prologue 16 (shift+exit), it gets stuck in the TUNING routine and locks up. Has this been noticed by others? The only way to get out of it is to recycle the power on the synth.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
Apparently Korg still has work to do on their software.

Mike T.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Malone View Post
Once in a while when I manually tune my prologue 16 (shift+exit), it gets stuck in the TUNING routine and locks up. Has this been noticed by others? The only way to get out of it is to recycle the power on the synth.
Not every time I manually tune, but I have had that happen a couple times. I think I was on FW 1.3. Not sure about the latest FW.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I’ve had this happen to me a few times, usually after I’ve had the unit on for a few hours. I’m still on the previous firmware as I didn’t do the most recent update
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've seen that on rare occasions, generally after it's been sitting turned on for a long period of time.

You can push SHIFT+EXIT again and it will cancel the stuck tuning (or, for that matter, any tuning in progress), something that is not mentioned in the manual. However, if you then try to tune again it seems to get stuck again, and so on until you power cycle the keyboard.

It is a slightly annoying bug, but not a hard one to live with. Another in that category is that it leaves the output attenuated if you have the expression pedal assigned to volume and have it set to something other than 100% and switch to another patch...until you change the volume knob a hair (or, should the expression pedal be assigned to volume in the new patch, until you adjust it again). That was rather confusing the first time I encountered it until I sussed out what was going on.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
same here, rarely but happens
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
After returning my DM12 I had 900 Euros to spend and went for a Prologue 8. After all, very fat sounds are possible, even vintage (when carefully programmed).

Does anyone notice slight sporadic high frequent distortion with some presets using resonance? I heard similar distortion in the shop on a demo unit. I wonder if this happens only with earlier units.

I remember it was preset 5 or 6 (I overwrote them)

Drive is at minimum position. To avoid this I have to reduce the oscillator gains into the mixer, but then the sound gets colder. I hope it is not the internal AD converter after the filter seeing a too got signal and getting overdriven, because it sounds a bit like clipping. Probably headphones required to hear this.
Could you share some tips how to make it sound vintage?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search