The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg Prologue
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophonic View Post
That's awful, i am sorry for you, Joe. Was this a unit with an early serial number ?
Yes....early model that originally had tuning issues. It is certainly possible that there has since been a HW revision that could add a failsafe to the update procedure.
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

I just checked the Korg Prologue forum and there is another report of a bricked synth following a failed update. Another user said it was fixed by reflashing, which I suppose means using the "force update" menu option.

Scary stuff. I'll stay well away from this update.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
I just checked the Korg Prologue forum and there is another report of a bricked synth following a failed update. Another user said it was fixed by reflashing, which I suppose means using the "force update" menu option.

Scary stuff. I'll stay well away from this update.
Unfortunately, in my case once the updater failed, the app lost connection to the Prologue. I was able to check the "force update" in the pulldown, but the actual "update" button was greyed out. The app basically reverted to "detect" mode, and even after restarting the app, could not "detect" the connected Prologue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe porto View Post
i have done many updates. Much of my modular gear is updated via sending binary audio file. I've updated nords, dsi, arturia. I also had successfully updated the prologue previously. This is the only time i've bricked a unit due to a failed update.

The fact that the app had a window that reported "fw update failed" would show that the programers knew this could be a possibility. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the app could no longer detect the prologue (even after closing and restarting the program). And korg's design decisions (fw controlled soft power switch, non-socketed fw rom) leave the only option as being a complete main board replacement.

I get it....these decisions were made to keep costs down. It's a lot of keyboard for the price. But in the end, you get what you pay for.
Korg needs to treat your case with utmost priority or they can go fvck themselves. Please keep us posted.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's impossible to say without looking, but the flash memory for the firmware (and, for that matter, patch storage and other things) could very well be part of the microcontroller chips(s). I actually would be a bit surprised if it's a separate memory chip.

There may be JTAG connections, at least pads or test points, on the board that would permit in-system reprogramming, but if so apparently the regional repair facilities don't have the necessary tools to do that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I checked Korg's website, they don't show the Prologue in their Product line up. Apparently, its been discontinued. That's the reason for the fire sale prices on both models. They didn't sell enough units, so its gone. Too bad. I hope they fix it and it works right after you get it back. It would really stink if it comes back and you take a hit on reselling it.

Mike T.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
I checked Korg's website, they don't show the Prologue in their Product line up. Apparently, its been discontinued. That's the reason for the fire sale prices on both models. They didn't sell enough units, so its gone. Too bad. I hope they fix it and it works right after you get it back. It would really stink if it comes back and you take a hit on reselling it.

Mike T.
Hey Mike- It's still there on the synth product page when I just looked (korg.com) and as far as I know, not discontinued, might be wrong though. It's a killer machine, would love and XD version though with sequencer, AT and simult delay and reverb...that would be fresh!
Old 1 week ago
There's a link to it on their main page. You just have to scroll down because so much stuff has been released in the past 2 years and it seems things are featured by how new they are (hell, if you scroll all the way to the bottom you eventually get to the MicroKorg). And on the 'products' page it's the first thing under Analog Synthesizers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Here it is, obviously not discontinued so far:
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/prologue/
Old 1 week ago
I kinda wish it would be discontinued just to ensure future classic status.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimknopf View Post
Here it is, obviously not discontinued so far:
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/prologue/
OK got it. I had scrolled ACROSS the screen and didn't scroll down. My bad.

Mike T.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Hey Mike- It's still there on the synth product page when I just looked (korg.com) and as far as I know, not discontinued, might be wrong though. It's a killer machine, would love and XD version though with sequencer, AT and simult delay and reverb...that would be fresh!
And a random LFO waveform.

Stephen
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
I kinda wish it would be discontinued just to ensure future classic status.
oh really
classic usually means 15 + yrs old,
lol, how many will be working by then, sfa, thats a lock
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
It's impossible to say without looking, but the flash memory for the firmware (and, for that matter, patch storage and other things) could very well be part of the microcontroller chips(s). I actually would be a bit surprised if it's a separate memory chip.

There may be JTAG connections, at least pads or test points, on the board that would permit in-system reprogramming, but if so apparently the regional repair facilities don't have the necessary tools to do that.
Makes sense that it's all on a single processor. The tech said the only way to flash the ROM was over USB, and that's why it needs an entire main board. I'd imagine if there was access on the board with special equipment, Korg would have it sent to them to do so, but who knows.

I may call Korg again and see if there is an option other than being without the keyboard for 2+ months due to a firmware failure. But honestly, I've kind of wrote it off. I understand it's a significant amount of money, but my health and wellbeing are far more valuable, so it's not something I'm going to get worked up over.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I remember them having similar issues with e2/e2s back in 2014. Several people bricked their units during fw updates. Of course e2/e2s are way cheaper.
And I am kind of disappointed the way korg treat their customers, no helpful support team, no database with common issues, they just do not exist.
But I have to admit prologue is an awesome synth, do not know if it worth all the pain though
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
So how long has the Prologue been out? I would think Korg would have had it debugged by now. Korg is not exactly small potatoes.

Mike T.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
So how long has the Prologue been out? I would think Korg would have had it debugged by now. Korg is not exactly small potatoes.

Mike T.
I think it was released proper at the end of 2018. Somebody please correct me if I'm off there.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
I think it was released proper at the end of 2018. Somebody please correct me if I'm off there.
More towards the start of 2018. They showed it at the NAMM show, and shipments started in the spring.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

As I remember I preordered mine back in February or March 2018. So it is beginning of 2018. I think it is mostly debugged now, I actually do not remember any issues except tuning problem and some cusotm osc freezes that are not related to the instrument itself.
Would be great if they added some extra features but I doubt it, usually korg are not the guys that do it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Sub layer midi cc control

Hi All, I have read the manual and tried a few things out but I still cannot get the sub layer of one patch to react to Midi CC.

I have the Sub set to Midi CH 2, the Global set to CH 1, and Midi CH 1 selected on my Cubase Midi track.

With this configuration I can play back Midi notes and read Modulation CC, however, if I write any other Midi CC Data by turning any other knobs on the Prologue it does not playback! The Midi CC data gets written but is unresponsive when playing back...all except the darn Modwheel which controls the Filter...that works...it is really weird!

Can any of you, who have gotten this to work be so kind as to elaborate on what steps you took?

Thanks!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton.Verb View Post
Hi All, I have read the manual and tried a few things out but I still cannot get the sub layer of one patch to react to Midi CC.

I have the Sub set to Midi CH 2, the Global set to CH 1, and Midi CH 1 selected on my Cubase Midi track.

With this configuration I can play back Midi notes and read Modulation CC, however, if I write any other Midi CC Data by turning any other knobs on the Prologue it does not playback! The Midi CC data gets written but is unresponsive when playing back...all except the darn Modwheel which controls the Filter...that works...it is really weird!

Can any of you, who have gotten this to work be so kind as to elaborate on what steps you took?

Thanks!
Sounds like you're going about it correctly. Except, the CCs for the sub layer need to be sending out on midi channel 2 according to your description. Also, go into Globals and hit button 6. All the pages under button 6 deal with sending and receiving controller messages. I would check those settings as well if you still aren't having any luck with the sub layer CCs on midi 2.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
OK I'm starting to get a sense that you don't really need a Waldorf Quantum ----Apart from sampling Prologue will get you in similar territory at a fraction of the price.
I have the Prologue 16 and its the best synth I've ever had for sound design and getting you into weird digital soundscapes.
I got one too and it's instant joy. Ok it's limited due to 1 LFO and when writing a program, I cannot see which user patch is empty so I would not overwrite one.... Perhaps there is a way I don't know about but it is a wonderful machine. SOunds come out so easily..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
If I had a Prologue, or any synth that has Patch storage, I would go through the factory patches, and make note of the sounds I would not use, and try to group sounds together by category, and try to organize the sounds in order to find then easily for LIVE shows. That may not be easy on a synth that has no easy way to organize sounds, or have a "performance" section to put them for later use.

Mike T.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
If I had a Prologue, or any synth that has Patch storage, I would go through the factory patches, and make note of the sounds I would not use, and try to group sounds together by category, and try to organize the sounds in order to find then easily for LIVE shows. That may not be easy on a synth that has no easy way to organize sounds, or have a "performance" section to put them for later use.

Mike T.
The librarian makes all that pretty easy. You can drag and drop a preset (or multiple presets) and reorder them any way you want. You can save the newly organized preset list as a file for easy loading. Then it's just a matter of sending the whole lot to the hardware for later use at the show. You can also send only the presets you have selected in the preset list. This will replace the hardware presets that are in the locations you are sending to without disturbing the rest of the presets. Nice.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumenMedia View Post
Bad news. Recently purchased Korg Prologue 8 right after 2 weeks now not turning on. I double checked power cord, it seems it's ok. I am angry. Voltage in my studio seems ok, no problems with all other gear so far. So, is it piece of crap in spite of "Made in Japan" sticker on top of it??? Any ideas guys, or may be similar experience?
I’ve got the same issue with mine suddenly today. Won’t power on at all... changed cables and power points. Looks like it’ll have to go in for service. Can anyone say how long I’m likely to be out of action for? It’s still under warranty. Not sure what korg service is like in Australia re repairs???
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamts13 View Post
I’ve got the same issue with mine suddenly today. Won’t power on at all... changed cables and power points. Looks like it’ll have to go in for service. Can anyone say how long I’m likely to be out of action for? It’s still under warranty. Not sure what korg service is like in Australia re repairs???
CMI handle Korg in Australia, along with many other brands.

That said, I was appalled that it took nine weeks for my MS-20 Mini to be "repaired" and then came back to me with the same problem. After much consternation on the phone I got a new unit which I promptly sold.

No more Korg products for me. Just seeing how lousy Korg was at addressing the tuning issue on the Prologue is enough not to consider supporting them.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
9 weeks... if it takes that long I’ll just buy another poly and sell the prologue when it’s fixed. Hope they can at least give an assessment of the problem quick so I can gauge the damage in lost time. 9 weeks is unfathomable. I like the synth... but have heard this problem (dead) on the prologue users Facebook group and here (gs) also.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
9 weeks... if it takes that long I’ll just buy another poly and sell the prologue when it’s fixed. Hope they can at least give an assessment of the problem quick so I can gauge the damage in lost time. 9 weeks is unfathomable. I like the synth... but have heard this problem (dead) on the prologue users Facebook group and here (gs) also.
You have a bit more leverage now. Australian Consumer Law gives you an immediate right to a refund or replacement in the case of a major fault.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...major-problem-
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mine went into the shop a month ago (early July). They are waiting on a new main board. I was told the part should arrive mid September, so 9 weeks sounds about right.

I called Korg directly once (all repairs must go through a third party service center). They were reluctant to answer any questions about part availability. They told me I needed to communicate through the service center, but took the name of the center and my service ticket and said they would contact them with any info. That is when the service center was told mid September for the part.

The whole thing really stinks. It's enough to put me off of Korg. I already bought a Prophet 6 to fill the gap on the keyboard stand. I'll be selling the Prologue once it is fixed.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Mine went into the shop a month ago (early July). They are waiting on a new main board. I was told the part should arrive mid September, so 9 weeks sounds about right.
That really stinks. There's no reason in this day and age why a current model synth should take 9 weeks to be made good under warranty.

I don't care what Korg release, I'll never buy another Korg product.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search