The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg Prologue Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
I think I am missing his message; can you interpret it for me. I don't know if he is saying it is fixed or not (the out of tune thing).
Well, apparently he said that it was fixed after the Voice update. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotundness View Post
Just did the update. I don't think the tuning issues have been addressed. Still the same behavior here. And yes, I did the Panel and Voice updates as well. Looks like there was only a voice update though.
...that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll report my findings once my Mac is wired back into the studio. Crossed-fingers I should have a working studio again... tomorrow! Can't wait.

Old 12th July 2018
Gear Addict

Did the update too... looking forward to making some oscillators!

As an aside.. .holy CRAP does Korg suck at writing software. I honestly cannot believe they are still using that archaic Korg MIDI Driver, essentially unchaged for a decade and decrepit in every way. Took me forever to get the Prologue recognized when I installed it because it STILL thinks that Windows cannot see more than 10 MIDI devices... a restriction that existed in the NT days and has been removed from ages.

Even the horrid little updater application... it failed to see the Prologue in update mode until I turned off all the other synths, or it just would not see the MIDI device past counting to 9.

Embarrassing... but relatively common with Japanese companies. Amazing, world-class hardware and amateur-level software.
Old 12th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Well, apparently he said that it was fixed after the Voice update. But...

...that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll report my findings once my Mac is wired back into the studio. Crossed-fingers I should have a working studio again... tomorrow! Can't wait.

After that trick has done I spent more than two hours playing the prologue and never had heard again the tune issue!! Hope that today I can confirm that my peoblem is solved. I’m in the possibility to return the machine to the shop and get a new one cause I got it only since two days...I don’t know what to do...if it now works fine should I change it or not? It is a faulty machine or not? Now seems to works fine
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve79 View Post
After that trick has done I spent more than two hours playing the prologue and never had heard again the tune issue!! Hope that today I can confirm that my peoblem is solved. I’m in the possibility to return the machine to the shop and get a new one cause I got it only since two days...I don’t know what to do...if it now works fine should I change it or not? It is a faulty machine or not? Now seems to works fine
If it works and has no tuning issues, hold on to it!
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head
Watching this closely to see if the tuning issue has actually been solved with the update. I’ve returned my 8 voice for a refund and currently holding fire before picking up a 16 voice. Hope Korg have sorted this, kind of missing it already...
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
As an aside.. .holy CRAP does Korg suck at writing software.
Yeah, not impressed with the librarian editor at all. Only slightly more convenient than using the sysex utility on my DAW.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just did the update. I don't think the tuning issues have been addressed. Still the same behavior here. And yes, I did the Panel and Voice updates as well. Looks like there was only a voice update though.
Same here. Still have the intermittent tuning issue after the update.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
I guess everyone has different tastes, but I really liked the sound of the Minilogue.
The Minilogue sounds incredible. If you can't make the Minilogue sound good, the problem is with the user, not the synth.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Did the update too... looking forward to making some oscillators!

As an aside.. .holy CRAP does Korg suck at writing software. I honestly cannot believe they are still using that archaic Korg MIDI Driver, essentially unchaged for a decade and decrepit in every way. Took me forever to get the Prologue recognized when I installed it because it STILL thinks that Windows cannot see more than 10 MIDI devices... a restriction that existed in the NT days and has been removed from ages.

Even the horrid little updater application... it failed to see the Prologue in update mode until I turned off all the other synths, or it just would not see the MIDI device past counting to 9.

Embarrassing... but relatively common with Japanese companies. Amazing, world-class hardware and amateur-level software.
I wonder who does their gadget software - seems like good work - odd juxtaposition, eh? Shame - hope they improve the prologue stuff and things get better :(
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

It's crazy. I don't post for ~2 years, but people are still arguing about THE EXACT SAME THINGS.

VCO vs DCO, Analog > Digital....

This forum is like the land that time forgot.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

I'm experiencing some strange things with the sounds I've made that use the "Waves" user osc. After getting the "Waves" osc loaded back into the Prologue I noticed that my menu settings for the waves osc were gone. All the "Waves" oscillator menu parameters are now at their default settings? Not what I saved.

Has anyone else at all made and saved some presets that use the waves user osc? If so can you check the menu parameters for the Waves Oscillator in one of those presets? Are they what you saved or are they reset to default?

I looked through all of the factory presets and not one of them uses the waves oscillator. Maybe the sound designers were told not to use it as this could happen?

Making a new preset that uses the Waves Osc works fine and all my settings are saved and recalled.

What does your Prologue report after the update?

I'm getting...

System: 1.20
Panel: 1.03
Voice: 1.03

Thanks! WTF Korg!

Last edited by rotundness; 12th July 2018 at 10:03 PM..
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm experiencing some strange things with the sounds I've made that use the "Waves" user osc. After getting the "Waves" osc loaded back into the Prologue I noticed that my menu settings for the waves osc were gone. All the "Waves" oscillator menu parameters are now at their default settings? Not what I saved.

Has anyone else at all made and saved some presets that use the waves user osc? If so can you check the menu parameters for the Waves Oscillator in one of those presets? Are they what you saved or are they reset to default?

I looked through all of the factory presets and not one of them uses the waves oscillator. Maybe the sound designers were told not to use it as this could happen?

Making a new preset that uses the Waves Osc works fine and all my settings are saved and recalled.

What does your Prologue report after the update?

I'm getting...

Thanks! WTF Korg!
Its the same for me, in the patches I made with User Waves the settings are resetted to default position.

I believe that Waves wasn't a "real" feature of prologue, more like a thing they gave us to see what could be programmed and loaded in to prologue.
I dont think they support it either.

Yes, the latest updates are now:
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

That really is annoying :(
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Well, we have Waldorf now participating on GS and we've had Dave Smith Instruments employees and Uli participating for a while. I think if Korg wants to maintain their good name they should get in the conversation here and tell us what's up.
Old 12th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quick warning: last night after doing the update I got back to working on a track - only used the Prologue sporadically, but after about 20 min. it HARD LOCKED on me. All lights still on (including scope and the compressor VU), but not even the power off button registered. Had to actually unplug it. It was back to normal after that, but this never happened before, so it's new with the update.

Bit worrisome TBH...
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue8 View Post
Its the same for me, in the patches I made with User Waves the settings are resetted to default position.

I believe that Waves wasn't a "real" feature of prologue, more like a thing they gave us to see what could be programmed and loaded in to prologue.

Thank you so much for replying. Starting to think I was the only one.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Hi All,

Well, I FINALLY finished wiring my studio and plugging everything in and by some strange miracle, all seems to work. Yey! Anyway... I managed to have some time to update the Prologue to the latest firmware tonight, and...

v1.20 firmware
v1.03 panel
v1.03 voice

...sadly does not fix my tuning issues.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of tuning issues @Steve79 was experiencing for that update to fix things for him, but evidently it wasn't the the same E, F, F# (+ my low G, C and C#) problems as some of the rest of us.

I guess the ball is back in Korg's court with this. Not heard from Korg UK for a while now so I'm taking that as "no news is good news". I'll contact them again next week if I've still not heard anything and report back.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

OK, I've followed this thread from the beginning, and ... I'm out. :( I had a Parva which I liked but felt aggrieved about the constant development of, and I don't want to repeat that.

Maybe I'll come back in a year or two if/when Korg fixes it for good and stops c*cking up the update software, but it'll most likely be a cheap used one to lower my risk.

(There is a Korg guy here, but he's keeping his head down. I don't think any Western employee of Japanese companies gets to know the full story about bugs/etc - like Phil on the acoustic piano in the Reface CP.)
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prologue8 View Post

Well I heard back from Korg. They suggested a manual work around to retrieve the settings for the waves oscillator:

Quote:
1. Using a system version < 1.20, select the Waves program to migrate.
2. Select the multi-engine edit parameter page
3. Note down the value of each of the 6 parameters.
4. Upgrade to 1.20, and select the same program.
5. Select the multi-engine edit parameter page, and set each parameter to the values you noted down.
6. Write the program.
But in the update pdf it clearly states:
Quote:
After updating, do not downgrade to a previous system version. The operation of a downgraded unit will not be guaranteed.
I asked them if it is safe to do this. I'm waiting to hear back before I do anything.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I heard back from Korg. They suggested a manual work around to retrieve the settings for the waves oscillator:

But in the update pdf it clearly states:

I asked them if it is safe to do this. I'm waiting to hear back before I do anything.
Yeah, not great...Just checked and the handful of patches i've made that use the User Oscillator have been wiped and not stored.VPN is fine, just the USER...Bit of an Arse!

===== As soon as there is clarification on downgrading, I'll do that, change the settings and resend out.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

On a more happy note, I got hold of a 16 Voice yesterday to replace the 8 Voice I used to make the Patches, which I only got as they didn't have a 16 Voice in at the time. This way, i can do more Layered Patches for Epilogue Vol 2...So, I made a layered Pad with it today, which i'm sharing with you You can also hear it below:

You'll have to unzip the file and load it into the Korg Librarian, then you can put it where you want. Oh, I had the LF COMP at about 1 o'Clock
Attached Files
File Type: zip GEOSynths.cm.prlgprog.zip (1.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 13th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
On a more happy note, I got hold of a 16 Voice yesterday to replace the 8 Voice I used to make the Patches, which I only got as they didn't have a 16 Voice in at the time. This way, i can do more Layered Patches for Epilogue Vol 2...So, I made a layered Pad with it today, which i'm sharing with you You can also hear it below:

You'll have to unzip the file and load it into the Korg Librarian, then you can put it where you want. Oh, I had the LF COMP at about 1 o'Clock
Gorgeous! Looking forward to the next batch...
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
On a more happy note, I got hold of a 16 Voice yesterday to replace the 8 Voice I used to make the Patches
Out of curiosity, have you experienced any of the tuning issues that have been mentioned in this thread with your Prologue 16?
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, not great...Just checked and the handful of patches i've made that use the User Oscillator have been wiped and not stored.VPN is fine, just the USER...Bit of an Arse!

===== As soon as there is clarification on downgrading, I'll do that, change the settings and resend out.
Well I went ahead and did the work around. Yea, I like to live dangerously and I'm really short on time for the next few days. It worked without any issues. You have to change a setting in the updater config menu. "Skip Version Check" Then the update button in the software became available. I didn't do the panel or voice downgrades. Just left them at 1.03. If you play the keyboard in this downgraded mixed up state it sounds weird of course.

So now everything is restored and I'm back to the latest 1.20. Whew....I had 25 sounds that used the Waves oscillator.
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks Rotundness

I've rolled back my 8 Voice and made the changes to 17 Patches. Update has been sent out to users.

Now, Korg...Please don't do that again...A bit of QA before release would be appreciated.
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Nut

Here is a little something I put together using only sounds from the Prologue 16. I did use some outboard effects on a couple of the tracks. I didn't use any of the onboard effects or the L.F. compressor.

Last edited by unrelatednotes; 15th July 2018 at 05:07 PM..
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Excellent job there unrelatednotes! Love the chord progressions. Keep them coming!
Old 15th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Excellent job there unrelatednotes! Love the chord progressions. Keep them coming!
Thanks rotundness! It's such an inspiring instrument to me. It's been a long time since I've creatively connected with a synth like this.
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrelatednotes View Post
Here is a little something I put together using only sounds from the Prologue 16. I did use some outboard effects on a couple of the tracks. I didn't use any of the onboard effects or the L.F. compressor.

ooh Yes...Could listen to this all day Great Stuff!
Old 16th July 2018
Here for the gear

So, what's your advice. To update or not my 8 voice?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search