The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Minibrute 2S
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
"fact"?

Here's all this video says, starting at 3:25 or so:
Is there any truth to the rumor that Daft Punk made a special request to Arturia to create this MK 2 MiniBrute?
We couldn't possibly comment on that, they are a very secretive bunch, we can't share their secrets.
I don't know how you went from that to the fact that DP worked on the sound engine with the engineers
Mystery is always a selling factor/effective buzz machine! Industry rumour big time.
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Addict

Review: Arturia Minibrute 2S | MsModular

While it does not capture every nuance and feature of a Buchla music easel, that is the only instrument I really could compare it to as I was exploring its features and auditory profile. Even comparing it to the Matrixbrute is a little difficult, because what the Minibrute 2S excels at, and what the Matrixbrute excels at are two very different things. They are both great instruments that share similar features and both feature Steiner-Parker filters, but they feel and sound very different. Some tweaks to the architecture here and there ended up making a huge difference in terms of sonic capabilities.

This is Arturia’s second great synth, and unlike the Matrixbrute is within reach of a far wider audience and easier to gig with.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
Review: Arturia Minibrute 2S | MsModular

While it does not capture every nuance and feature of a Buchla music easel, that is the only instrument I really could compare it to as I was exploring its features and auditory profile. Even comparing it to the Matrixbrute is a little difficult, because what the Minibrute 2S excels at, and what the Matrixbrute excels at are two very different things. They are both great instruments that share similar features and both feature Steiner-Parker filters, but they feel and sound very different. Some tweaks to the architecture here and there ended up making a huge difference in terms of sonic capabilities.

This is Arturia’s second great synth, and unlike the Matrixbrute is within reach of a far wider audience and easier to gig with.
I don’t understand the comparison with the Easel at all.

Features may seem similar, but no lopass gate or real spring, and timbrally, they couldn’t sound further apart. The 'brute has some nice features but it just doesn’t have the sound.

Have just watched a dozen or so videos on the 2S. I don’t like it’s core sound, but it can be made to sound good. The sequencer is probably it’s best feature, but it is still pretty limited.

It does seem like very good value for money, though not particularly great sounding IMO. Plus I still don’t feel like Arturia has me covered woth regard to longevity/ build quality
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Maniac

the sequencer is“pretty limited“,really?
Compared to what,a DAW?
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

I want a new mono with a decent sequencer.

I have been flipping around between a number of candidates and came to the following conclusions:

1) Mono Station: perfect but I find the DCOs so sterile.
2) Toraiz AS-1: sounds great but a knackered sequencer implementation. You cannot change patterns whilst synced to midi clock.
3) Malekko Manther: sounds good but again sequencer problems. Synced patterns consistently play slightly before they should.
4) IK Uno: sounds good too, the patterns are a bit short and they have hidden some of the parameters so you can only access them through a computer editor.
5) The Minibrute 2S: although it has no patch memories (I play live so this could be awkward) I love the sound and the sequencer sounds interesting.

At the moment the 2S seems to have it. If anyone else has anything to add feel free......
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

I got my hands on the 2S today and I can tell you, this is a keeper!!!!!

I didn't like the sound of the original/old minibrute a few years ago, but this is something very different.
The 2S is smoother and the sound reminds me of the Roland SH101.

The sequencer is very fast, easy to learn and flexible.
The patchbay is excellent.

I synced the 2S to my Korg SQ-1 with Karp Odyssey, and these two beasts together is a combination I really recommend.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
I don’t understand the comparison with the Easel at all.

Features may seem similar, but no lopass gate or real spring, and timbrally, they couldn’t sound further apart. The 'brute has some nice features but it just doesn’t have the sound.

Have just watched a dozen or so videos on the 2S. I don’t like it’s core sound, but it can be made to sound good. The sequencer is probably it’s best feature, but it is still pretty limited.

It does seem like very good value for money, though not particularly great sounding IMO. Plus I still don’t feel like Arturia has me covered woth regard to longevity/ build quality
My MB2S has 4 LGPs and 3 spring reverb tanks
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Minibrute 2S-ce991344-90dc-41a3-a987-ccd51ec4bcb4.jpg  
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Can anyone expkain the modulation sequencers to me please? I am fully fluent with synthesis but a bit of a noob to modular. How for exampke would i vary lfo depth or filter cutoff on certain steps? When i look at specs it confuses me a little bit.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2018
Lives for gear

Bumping to see if there's any new owners, or to hear thoughts from those who've had the Minibrute2S for awhile. I'm finally going to dip into modular a little bit and was considering the Brute to control some things. I've never used a synth/sequencer like this before, no idea what it's like. Are there some limitations or gotchas I should know about?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Nut

I actually ended up selling my 2S a few days ago.
There is (still) something rough and harsh about the Arturia sound that turns me off.

The sequencer and the patchbay of the 2S are both excellent, but the sound engine and the filters can not compete with my Karp, I think.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Barp Odyssey, the MS101 as well as the Behringer Pro 1.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Head

I’m tempted by the 2S as the heart of a modular system. How’s the sequencing of external gear?
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1505C View Post
I’m tempted by the 2S as the heart of a modular system. How’s the sequencing of external gear?
It's going to be a fairly limited sequencer imo, it's designed for one mono

For external sequencing, five12 approaches cirklon, then there's hermod, 1010 toolbox and shed loads of more powerful euro sequencers. Or BSP on a budget

Five12 is the best sequencer I've ever used (apart from a DAW)

mb2s is great value if the sequencer is sufficient though. I dig it's sound personally but have too much subtractive stuff
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1505C View Post
Read the manual and see if it ticks your boxes

http://downloads.arturia.net/product...ual_1_0_EN.pdf

Basically the 2s has 4 sequencer lanes the first 2 are pitch and gate

the second 2 lanes can be
Pitch
Gate
Velo (short for Velocity)(available for Velo/Mod 1 track only)
Press (short for Pressure)(available for Press/Mod 2 track only)
1V, 2V, 5V, and 8V. These are referred to collectively as the xV type.
Env (for Envelope)
Sin(e), Tri(angle), Saw Up, Saw Down, Sqr (Square), and SnH (Sample & Hold).
These are referred to collectively as the LFO type.

There's no random / probability feature but that could be achieved by adding something like the Mutable Instruments Branches dual Bernoulli gate.

Last edited by AceNoir; 3rd February 2019 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Nut
Are these not selling well? I got one on closeout at Guitar Center for $500, which seems like a pretty fantastic deal.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Are these not selling well? I got one on closeout at Guitar Center for $500, which seems like a pretty fantastic deal.
Good to know. I hate GC but may need to swing by.
Old 23rd March 2019
Here for the gear

Ok. Slide on Minibrute 2 vs Beststep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
You can program slides into the sequencer and those slides will go out of the CV out into your modules.

But if you just turn up the glide knob, the 2S will glide but your modules will not.
Sorry I did not get this one figured out: Does the Minibrute 2 have the same Slide as the Beatstep Pro? So does the Slide start before the next note and on the step the key note is reached OR is it a portamento on the minibrute? (I'm not talking about the Glide knob). Thanks for letting know.
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

There is a slide rate function for each step of the sequencer that can also be controlled by other modifiers like pressure, velocity etc. When the step is reached it uses the slide rate to slew/lag the note to assigned cv value of that step using the previous step cv value as the starting point. My understanding is that the major difference between the portamento control on the panel and slide controls on the sequencer is that slide can be assigned to values other than notes and can be triggered in multiple ways. And, the panel Portamento function is strictly controlling the rate of change between each newly played note and it always gated.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Nut

This youtube channel Oscillator Sink is doing some great patch tutorials. Initialized, Evil Bass, and Lead sounds so far.

Old 13th May 2019
Gear Nut

I´ve seen that you can transpose a pattern using an external MIDI Keyboard, but can you select a pattern from remote MIDI as well?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Any Minibrute 2s owners also own a Monologue? Wondering what you think of the two in comparison.

From videos I've seen, it looks likes the MB 2s can get so much wilder sound wise and the sequencer is no slouch compared to that on the Monologue plus you can chain patterns (Monologue is only 16 steps and no chaining).

I can basically get the MB 2s for $400 used on Reverb, which is about $180 more than a used Monologue. Only downsides I see are no presets or keyboard and is bigger/no battery option.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
Any Minibrute 2s owners also own a Monologue? Wondering what you think of the two in comparison.

From videos I've seen, it looks likes the MB 2s can get so much wilder sound wise and the sequencer is no slouch compared to that on the Monologue plus you can chain patterns (Monologue is only 16 steps and no chaining).

I can basically get the MB 2s for $400 used on Reverb, which is about $180 more than a used Monologue. Only downsides I see are no presets or keyboard and is bigger/no battery option.
i currently own both. i actually think the monologue can get really wild too and it's easier/faster to get there.. also with a button you can save your sound, tweak it some more, then save it again to a new patch. the motion recording is definitely a step above the minibrute 2s as well. the audio input is more useful than the minibrutes too imo . i'd say overall the monologue is just more immediate to make stuff with.

the minibrute 2 can do more, but it does take more work. what the minibrute 2 can do is ratchetting , and some other cool / unique stuff with the looping envelope, multiple filters, 2 lfos, metalizer, fm, patch points, sequencer tracks, etc .. the sequencer is really cool (it can do longer patterns than the minibrute) .. but being able to save all of these sequences is kind of pointless.. because each time you load one your patch is altered and you can't save patches. also a lot of the sequencing options are kind of tedious to use.. and the pads and knobs are definitely less intuitive for inputting notes. for as cool as the sequencer can be, i find myself avoiding most of its features. it's quite a complex synth..but since there is no patch saving it's kind of a bummer to spend a bunch of time creating a cool sound only to not be able to save it. i either have to record what i made instantly, or not use the synth due to fear of losing the sound that I haven't recorded yet.

all in all i like them both about equally and they both excel at dirty rhythmic /glitchy stuff which i love. but the monologue is a better value and probably my favorite synth. i'm actually thinking about selling my minibrute 2s simply because it takes up so much desk space.. the size really is a factor for me. i can jam with a monologue and a drum machine/circuit in the space where i could only use a minibrute 2s. where do you live? i'd let it go for 350 without fees/shipping involved.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Addict

Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful. I think I'm going to go with neither but instead a Mono Station, which I was interested in at one point. It gives me a better sequencer than Monologue (Monologue has no pattern chaining, so it's just the same 16 steps over and over). Plus the Mono Station's sequencer has a lot of quick, hands on control of manipulating patterns (adjusting sequencer length/direction/time division). And the p-locks of 50+ controls is great. Plus preset memory, which the Minibrute doesn't have. I just have to see if I like the sound.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Very helpful. I think I'm going to go with neither but instead a Mono Station, which I was interested in at one point. It gives me a better sequencer than Monologue (Monologue has no pattern chaining, so it's just the same 16 steps over and over). Plus the Mono Station's sequencer has a lot of quick, hands on control of manipulating patterns (adjusting sequencer length/direction/time division). And the p-locks of 50+ controls is great. Plus preset memory, which the Minibrute doesn't have. I just have to see if I like the sound.
i had a mono station as well! i love that one too but have sold that one for the time being. as you said the sound is its weakest point. very sterile and vanilla sounding. the bazillion lanes of motion recording do make up for it, though.. the filter and effects are great and can spice up the plain sound.. and being able to send motion recording through the cv aux out is a cool feature. it has a very useful audio input gain/volume knob as well which most synths don't. and it takes up the least desk space!

i think it excels as a utility device.. running synths/guitars into.. controlling other stuff, etc. but for its own sounds i just never wanted to use them. and fiddling between the 2 oscillators with its weird paraphony setup and playing the pads is still not as intuitive as the logue. and overall i choose the monologue over the mono station as a device on its own. tbh i'd be happy with all 3 of these devices and you can't really go wrong.. it's just about personal preference. you may even need to try all 3 personally like I have before you can decide which to keep.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Funny thing is I'm just about to pick up both the Minibrute 2S and a Mono Station.

The lack of patch storage on the 2S doesn't bother me in the least. That's not what its for.
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
Funny thing is I'm just about to pick up both the Minibrute 2S and a Mono Station.

The lack of patch storage on the 2S doesn't bother me in the least. That's not what its for.
no patch storage isn't an issue per se.. but being able to save sequences is kind of redundant imo.. especially so many. you can save like a hundred or something i forget.. but when you can't save the patch then the saved sequences become kind of pointless when the patch is different every time you load one. i'll save a cool sequence.. and then i'll load it a week later.. but my patch and sound is so different by then that it's useless. I think being able to save a couple sequences would have been just fine . but hey too much of something isn't a problem!

the monostation is really cool for adding some motion recording to any minibrute 2 s patch point via the aux cv out . but from personal experience i think the minibrute 2s pairs even better with a neutron. more options and don't have to fiddle with 2 different sequencers.
Old 20th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentzelitis View Post
i had a mono station as well! i love that one too but have sold that one for the time being. as you said the sound is its weakest point. very sterile and vanilla sounding. the bazillion lanes of motion recording do make up for it, though.. the filter and effects are great and can spice up the plain sound.. and being able to send motion recording through the cv aux out is a cool feature. it has a very useful audio input gain/volume knob as well which most synths don't. and it takes up the least desk space!

i think it excels as a utility device.. running synths/guitars into.. controlling other stuff, etc. but for its own sounds i just never wanted to use them. and fiddling between the 2 oscillators with its weird paraphony setup and playing the pads is still not as intuitive as the logue. and overall i choose the monologue over the mono station as a device on its own. tbh i'd be happy with all 3 of these devices and you can't really go wrong.. it's just about personal preference. you may even need to try all 3 personally like I have before you can decide which to keep.
I almost didnt get one because of its sound. I am so glad I did. Although the sounds may not drop your jaw on their own they fit into a mix really well. Not every synth needs to be fat as fcuk. I think it excels with other synths in use. Use something else for your fundamental bass and leads. I love programming it and the combination of the synthesis with the sequencer can really get me places nothing else can. Possibly my favourite synth

Last edited by Sapro; 20th September 2019 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 20th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
I almost didnt get one because of its sound. I am so glad I did. Although the sounds may not drop your jaw on their own they fit into a mix really well. Not every synth needs to be fat as fcuk. I think it excels with other synths in use. Use something else for your fundamental bass and leads. I love programming it and the combination of the synthesis with the sequencer can really get me places nothing else can. Possibly my favourite synth
i agree it's great in combination with other things. as i said i used it more for utility than for its sounds. although as an individual device i found the monologue do do very similar things with its motion recording, and sound better doing it (though limited to 4 lanes of motion) .. and the original circuit could get even crazier than both. also the original circuit has a similar sound imo though digital and actually better sounding with more effects and possibilities. speaking as a stand alone unit of course. the mono station definitely excels with other gear to run into it or to run into.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search