The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Minibrute 2S
Old 26th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
What a fvcking d!ck. I would never buy that now no matter how good it is.
maybe you should take up golf
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiospace View Post
maybe you should take up golf
I use to play golf actually. Great way to ruin a walk as somebody famous once said.
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Wow! So few comments on a synth that’s out and functioning and so much about synth that are planned to be out... someday ?
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blougui View Post
Wow! So few comments on a synth that’s out and functioning and so much about synth that are planned to be out... someday ?
I have to assume it's because everyone's having too much fun with their brutes to find time to post
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Hi everyone, How people liking there mini broot 2s’s? Any issues complaints or problems? What do current owners really like about The mini brute 2’s?
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedius View Post
I have to assume it's because everyone's having too much fun with their brutes to find time to post
Yes I hope you’re right :-)
Behind my post lays the disappointment at not having enough to read and listen about that tempting offer. It’s all Behri, Moog and DSI over here :-(
Old 26th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedius View Post
You are correct sir, soooo much fun / experimentation and anything you find it lacks such as splitters you just buy and plug them in, just how synthesis should be, no complaining on forums about what should be fixed / added in the next firmware update.

It is what it is and it is good

The only negative I could add is that its not an immediate synth some of the sweet spots are very very small but well worth the search.

Blank patch sheets are invaluable and can be downloaded from Arturia's forum where you'll also find the only complaint about the 2S is that the master tune doesn't point to 12 oclock when the tuning is adjusted to be in tune when warmed up
p.s. mine does-ish
Old 26th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
Hi everyone, How people liking there mini broot 2s’s? Any issues complaints or problems? What do current owners really like about The mini brute 2’s?
Hey Trey,

The 2s is great, should be good for you once memorised. Some of the extended sequencing features do use the little display but I think it would be easy to work around, I will check to see...

edit: ok just checked, the extended features all use the indented rotates so you can spin them to the left and then count the clicks to the right to get to the required setting. So all good.

Andy.
Old 27th May 2018
Lives for gear

What I'm learning is the Minibrute 2S sequencer can only have 4 modulation targets?

That's the thing I really like about the Malekko Manther, is that you can modulate as many parameters as you want for each sequence. And the sound is phenomenal on it. A really big sweet spot. It's hard to make it sound bad.

I'm actually looking at the Minibrute 2S because I'm enjoying my Manther so much. I suppose 4 modulation targets for the sequencer will still be adequate and fun on the MB2S. But you can really get crazy with sequences on the Manther.

How are people liking the semi mod patch options? Seems like lots of fun awaits with it.
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post

The CV out does send the slide info which my SH-101 did not. So I no longer need the SH as sequencer.

Unfortunately the glide knob does not affect the CV out as far as I can tell. And even with all of those patch bay modules it doesn’t have a slew limiter.

Has anyone been able to get the glide to work on the CV out?
Wait, are you saying the cv out slides but no way to control glide amount? What's the difference between slide and glide on the s2? Not sure I understand.

Looks like a ridiculously fun synth!
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
Wait, are you saying the cv out slides but no way to control glide amount? What's the difference between slide and glide on the s2? Not sure I understand.

Looks like a ridiculously fun synth!
You can program slides into the sequencer and those slides will go out of the CV out into your modules.

But if you just turn up the glide knob, the 2S will glide but your modules will not.
Old 1st June 2018
Here for the gear

The 2s was my first analog synth purchase, I could not be happier with it.
The mod matrix and the sequencer sold me on it.
It has some sweet spots for sound that take a little bit to dial in. The manual is easy to follow, I do like the fact that their is no presets it makes you dive into the instrument to really learn it. I do have trouble getting it tuned but if I put down the turner and just use my ears it seems to be easier.
YouTube has some excellent reviews and tutorials. The sequencer is powerful and I am still learning all of its potential. Overall I give it 4.5 out 5. 1/2 point docked because the quality inserts on the mod matrix seem a little Flimsy besides that it’s an excellent synth. Typically I build a patch and record for a while then chop it up. It’s opened a world of modular to me which seemed a little overwhelming before this purchase.
Old 6th June 2018
Gear Maniac

i got a MB2s last week and it`s awesome.The combination of a powerful semi-modular synth and this ace sequencer is very inspiring.Build quality is very good (except the filter FM and RM knob,they are different potis and feel cheaper as the rest) and you just can`t go wrong for this price imo.I reserved a B-stock in a local shop but when i wanted to pick it up there was none...it was a shop mistake.But i got a brandnew one for the b-stock price then (584€),quite nice i would say

I still don`t understand why especially the MB2s don`t get more attention (compared to many other analog synth threads here...) though.I get that the market for analog synths is flooded these days (and probably all eyes on behringer) but i think the MB2s definitely stick out of the mass and is so much fun to play with.And a very good start into modular synthesis.It`s the 4th time start i start with eurorack druqz again and next step for sure is to buy the 3U rackbrute and fill it up...most probably with a neutron

i was a little afraid stumbling over bugs in the sequencer (many people will remember when the beatstep pro was released) but it seems arturia learned their lesson.Of course,i had no time to test everything yet but it runs very smooth so far.
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Guru

As good as the synth actually sounds, I couldn't really care less, the sequencer on this machine is absolutely a dream..!! After 2 full days of digging I can smash my way around it with ease. I had a feeling if I was cashed up I would buy a few of these to do different tricks with different synths all at once.

Wasn't sure i'd like this thing but I'm convinced now.
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
As good as the synth actually sounds, I couldn't really care less, the sequencer on this machine is absolutely a dream..!! After 2 full days of digging I can smash my way around it with ease. I had a feeling if I was cashed up I would buy a few of these to do different tricks with different synths all at once.

Why not buy a few of these

Arturia Minibrute 2S-minisq.jpg

If only they existed
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia Minibrute 2S-minisq.jpg  
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir View Post
Why not buy a few of these

If only they existed
Add some keys into this and you already designed the keystep pro….
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

i'm also tempted whenever i hear one, it looks loads of fun
Old 20th June 2018
Lives for gear

Omg i want the minibrute 2s to compliment Matrixbrute and cv connect them. Id love to sequence the matrixbrute with this analog style sequencer from Minibrute 2s.

Anyone have both? I can also use minibrute 2s as an extra oscillator to Matrixbrute.

I like the fact that with the minibrute 2s i can sequence the cutoff too. I love those liquidy seuences
Old 20th June 2018
Gear Guru

this thing is sick I tell ya.. I had money put aside for a Moog Grandmother and it was gunna sit in front of modular and be the front end but I couldn't get the 2S out of my mind and it has so many sequencing tricks up it's sleve, reverse, ping pong, random, 2 modulation seq tracks, transpose and octaves are a cinch all on the fly..
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
i'm also tempted whenever i hear one, it looks loads of fun
It's actually too much fun, every time I try to create a simple patch 5 minutes later there's patch cables everywhere and a crazy loop playing

You tell yourself your not a patch cable junkie you just need one more then you'll quit honest
Old 21st June 2018
Gear Guru

Whats interesting is you can have a sequence playing, have a MIDI cable plugged into the in from a keyboard, and while the sequence is playing strike notes on the keyboard to add variaton, also turn on the arp and strike notes and it changes things up again. For me it's an ugly looking thing and the colours are pretty lame etc but it's hella fun when you get sequencing, sequencing the Model D with it and adding the mini brutes synth voice was too much fun. I'm waiting on a euro/mixer for my case so I can get my modular drums pumping with it, when that comes I'll be rocking out a sweet little modular system.
Old 21st June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev View Post
Omg i want the minibrute 2s to compliment Matrixbrute and cv connect them. Id love to sequence the matrixbrute with this analog style sequencer from Minibrute 2s.

Anyone have both? I can also use minibrute 2s as an extra oscillator to Matrixbrute.

I like the fact that with the minibrute 2s i can sequence the cutoff too. I love those liquidy seuences
I have both - the MB is my favorite synth ever, and I still was blown away by the 2S. It sounds similar, yet different... the Steiner on the 2S has a different color, even brighter than the MB, but the envelopes are the biggest difference, in my experience. They are so snappy, you can make fantastic percussive sounds with minimal effort - also, I wish you could loop the envelopes on the MB too!

I have not tried sequencing the MatrixBrute using the 2S, but I am totally going to do that. Thanks for the idea...
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Head
My "tie" and "step repeat" are not working on my minibrute 2s

anybody else has this problem?

YouTube
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whats interesting is you can have a sequence playing, have a MIDI cable plugged into the in from a keyboard, and while the sequence is playing strike notes on the keyboard to add variaton, also turn on the arp and strike notes and it changes things up again. For me it's an ugly looking thing and the colours are pretty lame etc but it's hella fun when you get sequencing, sequencing the Model D with it and adding the mini brutes synth voice was too much fun. I'm waiting on a euro/mixer for my case so I can get my modular drums pumping with it, when that comes I'll be rocking out a sweet little modular system.
This is the one thing bugging me thus far. The behavior I want and expect is to hit
a key on a keyboard connected via midi and have the sequence transpose on the fly. Instead, the sequence stops, the MB plays the note, and THEN resumes transposed. It must just be a setting I am missing, or something silly, because I cannot see this being the correct default behavior. (Note, this even when hitting the step 16 pad to transpose.)
While the sequence transposition works from the pads directly, it does not seem to want to transpose up to the high C. You can of course do this by using the octave buttons, but that assumes the sequence is running at the low C.

I'll be diving into the manual tonight, but if anybody has solutions or workarounds, I'd love to hear them.

Postscript: It occurs to me that I may need to set the transposition midi channel on the MiniB to something other than the channel on which it receives note information. And of course, I can stick with using the pads....

Last edited by Phil Aiken; 1st August 2018 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: Added some stuff.....
Old 1st September 2018
Gear Addict

How do you backup your sequences ---is it via USB to the Midi Control Centre App?
Old 2nd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synnys View Post
My "tie" and "step repeat" are not working on my minibrute 2s

anybody else has this problem?

YouTube
When you are trying to do this, are you sync'd to a DAW (or some hardware master)? Because I'm also experiencing the same behavior, but only when sync'd to Cubase. When I power the unit on stand-alone, programming ties, gate values, slides, ratchets all work as expected. But then as soon as I turn on Cubase and 2S gets synced with it, all those things seem to be ignored. The same previously recorded sequence plays with the correct pitches, but all the notes are just straight 16ths, so previously indicated ties/gates/slides/ratchets are ignored, even though I still see all the values are set like before.

Can anyone else who syncs with a DAW try to reproduce this?
Old 3rd September 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
When you are trying to do this, are you sync'd to a DAW (or some hardware master)? Because I'm also experiencing the same behavior, but only when sync'd to Cubase. When I power the unit on stand-alone, programming ties, gate values, slides, ratchets all work as expected. But then as soon as I turn on Cubase and 2S gets synced with it, all those things seem to be ignored. The same previously recorded sequence plays with the correct pitches, but all the notes are just straight 16ths, so previously indicated ties/gates/slides/ratchets are ignored, even though I still see all the values are set like before.

Can anyone else who syncs with a DAW try to reproduce this?
My problem was that I had the track in Ableton armed. So it was a midi feedback loop.
Old 3rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synnys View Post
My problem was that I had the track in Ableton armed. So it was a midi feedback loop.
Ah, that's it.

For other Cubase users, if you want to use the sequencer, set the channel in the inspector to anything other than whatever the User channel is defined for the MBS2 (1 by default). And when sending MIDI data from Cubase, set it to that User channel. The User channel is configurable via the Arutria's MIDI Control Center.
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Addict

Did you know:?
Minibrute 2 core sound engine --Daft Punk were involved in revamping the sound with the engineers until the synth sounded just right
Better Music discuss this fact with the Auturia rep who smiles and does not confirm or deny
YouTube
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
Did you know:?
Minibrute 2 core sound engine --Daft Punk were involved in revamping the sound with the engineers until the synth sounded just right
Better Music discuss this fact with the Auturia rep who smiles and does not confirm or deny
YouTube
"fact"?

Here's all this video says, starting at 3:25 or so:
Is there any truth to the rumor that Daft Punk made a special request to Arturia to create this MK 2 MiniBrute?
We couldn't possibly comment on that, they are a very secretive bunch, we can't share their secrets.
I don't know how you went from that to the fact that DP worked on the sound engine with the engineers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search