The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Arturia minibrute 2... Wowza Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear

The Rack Brutes look okay I guess. I'm thinking it's a bit pricey for a case. Seems to be aimed to draw people in to the new Brute ethos, which also opens things up to Euro Rack / Modular. I was kind of expecting Eurorack modules from Arturia. Presumably this will come at some point? Seems a bit weird Arturia are jumping into Eurorack with a pricey case & no modules of their own to fill it with.
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear

Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faastwalker View Post
....... Holy s**[email protected]#@[email protected]

3U Rack Brute is going to be $399 (AUS);

Arturia RackBrute 3U Eurorack Case | Desktop Synthesizers / Modules - Store DJ

Think I'll stick to my original plan, to expand my Kilpatrick Phenol with some Eurorack modules, and get one of these for $150 less;

Turramurra Music :: Modular Synth : Tiptop Audio Happy Ending Kit (Silver)
nahh i think its pretty lame, especially the marketing. Saving the best for last? it's an empty box lol. Fine some people are into the eurorack thing and it's neat that it attaches over your minibrute 2 a $399 empty eurorack case is hardly exciting. I was expecting it have some functionality that was patchable into the minibrute 2s PBay that gave gave it some more and better features. Another two full envelopes, another oscillator and sub, and maybe a couple other doodads.

They basically could have put most of a whole other minibrute 1 in there for $400 with a couple patchpoints. They would sell a ton, and people could even buy them as a starting point and work backwards to get the MB2 if they wanted. The 6U rack could add the empty eurorack spaces as well. The rack brute as it is now some people may want but is certainly not "saving the best for last" worthy.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Head

I think Store DJ usually put full RRP on on a product when it's only just been announced, then adjust to 'street price' when its close to, or in stock.

Minibrute 2 is advertised as $999 which i suspect is AU RRP, not actual selling price here.

Quote:
....... Holy s**[email protected]#@[email protected]

3U Rack Brute is going to be $399 (AUS);

Arturia RackBrute 3U Eurorack Case | Desktop Synthesizers / Modules - Store DJ

Think I'll stick to my original plan, to expand my Kilpatrick Phenol with some Eurorack modules, and get one of these for $150 less;

Turramurra Music :: Modular Synth : Tiptop Audio Happy Ending Kit (Silver)
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The Rack Brutes look okay I guess. I'm thinking it's a bit pricey for a case.
Cheaper than a Doepfer case though, which is one of the most popular at present, so it'll probably sell like hot cakes.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiK777 View Post
Cheaper than a Doepfer case though, which is one of the most popular at present, so it'll probably sell like hot cakes.
I don’t think I’ve ever bought a hot cake. I should try one to see what the fuss is all about.
Old 18th January 2018
Just to confirm: Is this how we prefer product launches? Dropped in our laps with preorder pages live, no leaks, no teases. Just 2 dozen units secretly distributed to youtube reviewers, each making basically identical videos that don't have a single critical thing to say? That's good, right?

Behringer seems to make people mad. They announce intentions and sometimes roll up messageboard feedback into the final version, allowing folks to plan thier spending based on what's coming down the road. That's bad, right?
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Spy View Post
Just to confirm: Is this how we prefer product launches? Dropped in our laps with preorder pages live, no leaks, no teases. Just 2 dozen units secretly distributed to youtube reviewers, each making basically identical videos that don't have a single critical thing to say? That's good, right?

Behringer seems to make people mad. They announce intentions and sometimes roll up messageboard feedback into the final version, allowing folks to plan thier spending based on what's coming down the road. That's bad, right?
I'd stop worrying about it, if I was you. It's not a perfect world, and these are way down on The Big List of Things Wot Need Fixing.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
I don’t think I’ve ever bought a hot cake. I should try one to see what the fuss is all about.
Go for a flapjack instead. Apparently they don't sell as well, but they're just as good.
Old 18th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
I'd stop worrying about it, if I was you. It's not a perfect world, and these are way down on The Big List of Things Wot Need Fixing.
By that logic, why care about anything except the biggest existential problem that faces humanity?

I'm just trying to figure out what the community at large wants.

We know that Minikeys are bad, according to The Community. No keys are good. Patch memory is very good, but presets and stepping are bad. Also, teasing synth releases is bad. But incorporating user feedback into the final version is good. But, also, secrets. And videos are good. Lots of videos where reviewers are basically doing a demo uncritically, blessed to have been picked by the company. (Access. Ad revenue from views.) Also bad: Ugly synths, "hipsters" and dubstep presets. But 2 LFOs are good, and don't make things that are retreads.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out what the community at large wants.

We know that Minikeys are bad, according to The Community. No keys are good. Patch memory is very good, but presets and stepping are bad. Also, teasing synth releases is bad. But incorporating user feedback into the final version is good. But, also, secrets. And videos are good. Lots of videos where reviewers are basically doing a demo uncritically, blessed to have been picked by the company. (Access. Ad revenue from views.) Also bad: Ugly synths, "hipsters" and dubstep presets. But 2 LFOs are good, and don't make things that are retreads.
There is no such thing as community consensus, because there are as many different opinions as there are people expressing them and this is the internet where there is no shortage of people...
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd say that's a pretty good launch, yes. Getting to hear and see the real deal straight away, with just enough time to clear some space and raise the money. Good for the customers and the manufacturer
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's bad, right?
Yeah
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's 12db per octave, a 2-pole design. So for lowpass bass duties, it can't do that super steep dark liquid thing you can get with other filters. (12db filters tend to have a brighter buzzier tone due to more frequencies passing the cutoff.)

It will self-oscillate, but not over the whole range. The lower you go, the quieter the self-oscillation gets until it goes away. That's not really desirable behavior IMO.

It has a slightly warbling, unstable bubbly behavior with higher resonance. It's kind of neat, but if this is your only hardware synth: do you want that all the time as your only filter?

Filters have the biggest impact on the sound of a synth. I'm loving everything about it, but it's all in service of a filter sound that I pretty much hated when I owned my Minibrute.

To my ears, it's like a raspy, cheap and weird tone. It's nice to have for some stuff, but good luck not suffering from SP fatigue if its your only synth.
The resonance/self oscillation on the 2 only drops off under 100hz and above 8k. It doesn't warble.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Maniac

That demo sucks
So far I haven’t heard any really convincing demos in terms of sound.
Old 27th January 2018
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if the keys are any different from the original Minibrute? On the original, black keys were so ****.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think it's a good thing when products come to market in a timely manner. This puts them in the hands of paying customers, rather than marketing shills. Then we get to hear a range of opinions from a large number of users.

This is better than endless promises and hype and a slow trickle of units. I liked Arturia's strategy. They had a vision and produced an instrument without focus-grouping it to death. Then they said, here is the product we made. It's ready and shipping soon. If I hadn't just bought a KARP, I'd probably be getting the MB2.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonCQ View Post
Does anyone know if the keys are any different from the original Minibrute? On the original, black keys were so ****.
Different, MB2 is using the same keyboard as the Matrixbrute.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
That demo sucks
So far I haven’t heard any really convincing demos in terms of sound.
You may or may not like this:

Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Here's another that REALLY shows the sound characteristics of both. If this doesn't do it for you, nothing will. These are LEGIT!

Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
You may or may not like this:

Best demo I've seen and heard of it so far.
Old 27th January 2018
Looks like my SP filter nitpicks are not really valid - the gain staging and resonance have been changed from the original Brute series.

According Sonic State coverage: the self-oscillation/resonance does not fade out above and below the mid frequncy band, and the mixer has more headroom for a smoother take on the Brute sound. Even the metalizer seems to have been voiced in a more musical range.

So I'm going to withdraw my bitching - this now makes way more sense and my slight curiosity has developed into an intention to get one this spring. The only problem I have now is: keys or sequencer version?
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Nice chat about how the MB2s came to be:

Towards the end they throw around some ideas about what Euro modules they would get to complement the MB2s, I found their ideas interesting.
Old 29th January 2018
Gear Addict

I'm staying far away from modular... but if I weren't, I would probably get a Minibrute 2S, the Doepfer SEM filter, and an MI Elements. Plus additional LFO and ENV and some utilities. The suggested spring reverb also sounds great.
Old 13th February 2018
Anyone with a unit yet?

How are the keys? Some reviews describe them as synth action, some as semi-weighted.

I liked the feel of the semi-weighted keys on the original Brute.
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone with a unit yet?

How are the keys? Some reviews describe them as synth action, some as semi-weighted.

I liked the feel of the semi-weighted keys on the original Brute.
They're supposed to be the same keys as what's found on the MatrixBrute, maybe you already have experience with that.
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear

Old 6th March 2018
Lives for gear

Sonic Lab:

A new take on stack and detune.

The 2S and RackBrute system show up in there but he doesn't dwell too long on them.

edit: lol too slow.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear
Does it come with patchcords like mother32? I especially like those grey ones. With the price like this, it better right?

One year by now when the price would be 100 lower it will be an epic piece of equipment. Can't wait that long though lol, need this for my little modular asap
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search