The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anybody else have an obsolete synth fetish? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

For me it's always been an Emu thang cause that's where I started... loaded E4 Platinum & loaded Proteus Keys.

Then, I listened to a Memorymoog. I guess that's sort of "obsolete" too? The ana-mega synths/string & tone wheel organs, like MM, A6, B3, Clav, Sync, Keith Emerson's Moog rig, etc.

The thing I'll add about software, is my appreciation for companies like Arturia that do it right by conveying total respect for the synth designers (like referring to revered "Dr. Moog" vs "Hey, you're ripping people off Moog Music, so here's some payback "), taking the time to nicely lay out the history of the synths they model, and - in a way - develop & maintain a "working model" at the component level in digital form (which are also "work-in-progress" models of these vintage specimens that may be continually refined & improved) and make them sonically presentable and accessible to the masses that would never meet an original.

In some cases this has made me want to experience the real thing even more. In other cases, I'm likely content with the working model as the real thing is out of reach and completely impractical, but I still want to experience them. In all cases, I have an expanded and enhanced appreciation of every single one of these so called obsolete synths.

I seriously wish sometimes that I had gotten into synth design growing up - like Jacob. It's an appealing field.

I've also been fascinated (continually) learning about so many cool synths that I never even heard about or heard in use, and I'm constantly blown away taking detours down vintage synth explorer lane and have come to realize it's a monsterous and massive family tree of synths and synth variations developed and created over the years. Someone here will post about some model and it will lead to another history lesson detour.

The great units take on lives of there own. I'm gonna hang on to ALL of mine until they're in this same catagory! And, I'll just smile.

Then say "get off my lawn you nunu-wave synth punks!"

Old 4 days ago
It occurred to me that many of my synths are from companies that are defunct or got out of the synth market entirely.

Akai AX80
Akai AX60
Alesis Ion
Casio CZ-1
Casio VZ-10m
Casio XWP1 (they seem to have quit again afterwards)
Crumar Bit One
Kawai K3m
Kawai K5m
Kawai XD-5
Rhodes Chroma Polaris

Poor orphans. But all very enjoyable and useful still.
I can only wonder at what the respective companies might have accomplished if they’d stuck to it.
I’m curious to see if the 2nd coming of Oberheim will go the distance too.

Maybe I should look at my little studio as an orphanage

Last edited by Hollowman9; 4 days ago at 06:15 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I played an Alesis fusion many years back and I still think it's cool. It has FM and analog VA and modeling sounds. The design was said to be ugly but I liked it.

There's something to be said about using rare gear. Rare in the sense of nobody's using it because it's obsolete. If you mix it with interesting effects you could get your own sound.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
I played an Alesis fusion many years back and I still think it's cool. It has FM and analog VA and modeling sounds. The design was said to be ugly but I liked it.

There's something to be said about using rare gear. Rare in the sense of nobody's using it because it's obsolete. If you mix it with interesting effects you could get your own sound.
I liked the fusion too. Mine broke and I couldn’t get anyone to repair it so I sold it off quite cheaply. Great synth from I believe 2006?

Had a random thought the other day that 1997 seems to be a happy year for synths for me, I have a Microwave II, An1x, Nord Modular G1, all great synths! Might grab an MS2000 to go with them.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
And people still drive Duesenbergs. My point is we shouldn’t conflate fashionable with the current state of technology. I’m just saying that there’s room for both. My personal reasons for avoiding many old digital synths are that they tend to either have crap interfaces (DX, CZ), have sounds that are easily replicated in software, are still crazy expensive (CMI, Synclavier) or all of the above. I really like the sound of those classics, but not enough to give up valuable space. I know this will get me a lot of jibes, but I even spent the money I had earmarked for a NF-1m on software.
Been gassing for the fair light iPad software lately.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
GeneralMusic/GEM S2 and S3

Built like tanks, really nice Fatar 61 or 76 (E-G) keys with PolyAT and release velocity, numerous assignable buttons and sliders, two sets of MIDI connections (32 channels), and though the polyphony is limited, some pretty nice synthy sounds. At the very least they are great controllers.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Been gassing for the fair light iPad software lately.
I picked up Arturia CMI V. I’m not sure if it’s exact, but it makes me happy.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

"Does anybody else have an obsolete synth fetish?"

Yes. Workstation too.

Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I liked the fusion too. Mine broke and I couldn’t get anyone to repair it so I sold it off quite cheaply. Great synth from I believe 2006?

Had a random thought the other day that 1997 seems to be a happy year for synths for me, I have a Microwave II, An1x, Nord Modular G1, all great synths! Might grab an MS2000 to go with them.
That sounds like some great gear. I did notice mechanical issues with the Fusion. I literally played it in the store. Something sadly seemed off with it. I've seen some online and often there's a stupid problem, like some small bit of the hardware doesn't work.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds like some great gear. I did notice mechanical issues with the Fusion. I literally played it in the store. Something sadly seemed off with it. I've seen some online and often there's a stupid problem, like some small bit of the hardware doesn't work.
From my memory, the main issues were:

- Black and White keys had different velocity sensitivities
- PSU and socket could become wobbly and loose over time, or just crap out
- Outputs can blow over time, leading to nasty distortions and volume loss, and not good nasty
- Sometimes one of the L/R would be a lot quieter than the other one, dust in the expression pedal port caused this
- Potential Hard Disk failure over time

Mine lasted a good 10 years of constant gigging, so I was happy with that. Might grab another one day but I’m quite happy with EX7 + Nord Modular combo at the moment.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

On the positive side, the fact it can do non-Yamaha sounding FM and physical modeling means it must be able to give you pretty unique sounds plus I liked the Alesis VA sound from the Micron family.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
- Black and White keys had different velocity sensitivities
Wow. How does that even happen?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the positive side, the fact it can do non-Yamaha sounding FM and physical modeling means it must be able to give you pretty unique sounds plus I liked the Alesis VA sound from the Micron family.
It’s a Modulation monster. Audio rate LFOs too
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
Wow. How does that even happen?
Mainly an issue on the 8HD I believe.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had the 6HD and the velocity was very weird on that machine too. I even cleaned the contacts.

I found it to be a bit too quirky to be worth the hassle so sold it before it developed other problems.
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I meant what (mechanically) could cause the velocity of the white and black keys to be different?
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

I’m no expert, but one obvious difference is that they have different shapes. For a mechanical lever arm, that can matter.

Of course most keyboards have that sorted, but it’s still possibly an issue.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search