The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonicware ELZ-1 Portable Multi-Engine Digital Synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Sonicware ELZ-1 Portable Multi-Engine Digital Synth

sonicware

"Diverse sound engines include the FM SYNTH, the 8BIT WAVE MEMORY SYNTH that allows editing and morphing, the DNA Explorer that can be used to examine and alter waveforms from captured audio, and the SiGRINDER granular synthesizer.

From the day you put your hands on the ELZ_1, you will become a sound adventurer.

Start a journey in search of exciting sounds that are unique to this world.

The diverse synthesizer engines of the ELZ_1 were all developed from the ground up.

FM SYNTH (4 operators with feedback and detuning)
8BIT WAVE MEMORY SYNTH (waveform editing and morphing with FM mode)
DNA EXPLORER (extract and generate waveforms from audio)
SiGRINDER (granular synthesizer engine)
STANDARD OSC (sin, square, triangle and saw waves)
LOW-BIT OSC (sin, square, triangle and saw waves)

Didn't find a thread for this. Similar form factor to the OP1? Perhaps a little wider. Potentially a digital paradise?
Old 13th January 2018
Sonicware ELZ1, Teenage Engineering OP-1, Op-Z... this part of the market is getting interesting. Each one has different strong points. It would be interesting to compare them all.
It seems that this ELZ1 is the more capable speaking of synthesis power? And the bad point is that is doesnt have any sequencer or tape like the OP1 and OPZ.
We still need to know more details about the new OPZ and ELZ1
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Want!
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Want!
Predictable.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Predictable.
That I’ll like weird digital stuff? Lol
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

The FM engine ( just like the op-1 ) only has 2 parameters , feedback and detuning ..and of course algo select .
These simplified F.F.K.* engines become boring pretty fast , the other engines look just a simple .
NOt for me , not gonna make the same mistake twice ( got rid of the op after 3 weeks )
Really curious about the cpu type

* Fm For Kids

It just occured to me that it looks a lot like the black elektron boxes
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
The FM engine ( just like the op-1 ) only has 2 parameters , feedback and detuning ..and of course algo select .
These simplified F.F.K.* engines become boring pretty fast , the other engines look just a simple .
NOt for me , not gonna make the same mistake twice ( got rid of the op after 3 weeks )

* Fm For Kids
Yep.

I'd love a Casio CZ-ish desktop unit with simple ASDR knobs for envelopes. Wouldn't even have to have knobs for the rest, if I could avoid four stage envelopes with a data slider I'd be in heaven
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Guru

Seems like it could be a fun little instrument if it’s cheap. ($300ish)
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Be keen to see this in action at NAMM
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
Sonicware ELZ-1 Portable Multi-Engine Digital Synth-kidjam.jpg  
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Addict

Needs sequencers
Old 22nd January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Be keen to see this in action at NAMM
I will be helping demonstrate this at NAMM.

If you are at the show, definitely come by the SONICWARE booth.

More information should be released at the show, but if you have specific questions that are not answered, ask here and I will convey them to SONICWARE.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
Needs sequencers
I agree, 16/32 step (with other time signature options if possible) with a lane for notes and a couple of lanes for parameter automation would do it.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocipede View Post

More information should be released at the show, but if you have specific questions that are not answered, ask here and I will convey them to SONICWARE.
Hi, is the USB class compliant? Or will we need one of those third party boxes to connect a din midi keyboard or sequencer?
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm 15,000 KM away from NAMM .... so hoping to catch a video I guess

I'd really like to know how to get sounds into the wavetable - is it via an APP/Software? or is it just created on the hardware itself?
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Shame about no DIN midi. It’d be nice to include it on minijack at least.

The example sounds weren’t totally blowing my socks off, but of course this is a common thing with trade shows, they just quickly bung some presets in.

I’ll wait and reserve judgement.
Old 26th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hi, is the USB class compliant? Or will we need one of those third party boxes to connect a din midi keyboard or sequencer?
Yes, the ELZ_1 is. You can plug a USB-MIDI keyboard or other controller directly into the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
I'd really like to know how to get sounds into the wavetable - is it via an APP/Software? or is it just created on the hardware itself?
The waves used in the wave morphing synth engine can be edited on screen.
The waves (samples) used for the SiGrinder (granular) and DNA EXPLORER synth engines can be recorded directly in using the AUX IN jack.

The addition of sample transfer to/from a computer via USB and the ability to use recorded samples in the wave morphing engine have been suggested to the designer.

The request for some basic sequencer function is also common.

The target street price is $499 and the target release date is summer.
(Note, early in the show we did mistakenly tell some people that the target retail price would be around $399.)
Old 26th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Shame about no DIN midi. It’d be nice to include it on minijack at least.

The example sounds weren’t totally blowing my socks off, but of course this is a common thing with trade shows, they just quickly bing some presets in.

I’ll wait and reserve judgement.
Yeah, I had only a few minutes with it before that video and the demo models don't save presets yet…

There should be some good sound examples and videos up before it hits the market.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I had only a few minutes with it before that video and the demo models don't save presets yet…

There should be some good sound examples and videos up before it hits the market.
It’s a total shame that they didn’t give you a week with it beforehand, so you could have rip-roaring demos and all of the spiel right out of the starting gates, but yes, I look forward to more demos. This synth thinks a little outside of the box and I like that, it deserves to do well.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Ooooo, I am liking what I'm hearing and seeing from this synth. The screen representation is really nice visually. But best of all, it sounds way better to my ears than the Teenage Engineering OP-1, OP-Z or Elektron Digitone.

And it only costs 499! I think I'm sold. I actually can't wait for this little thing. It packs a lot of sonic punch.

Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Ooooo, I am liking what I'm hearing and seeing from this synth. The screen representation is really nice visually. But best of all, it sounds way better to my ears than the Teenage Engineering OP-1, OP-Z or Elektron Digitone.

And it only costs 499! I think I'm sold. I actually can't wait for this little thing. It packs a lot of sonic punch.

I did enjoy that video. I tell you what though, as an autistic person I noticed, HOW AWKWARD AND STILTED DID EVERYBODY SEEM? (Including the interviewer) Maybe they were all just tired *awkward silence* XD

Great potential in this synth a portable power house!
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did enjoy that video. I tell you what though, as an autistic person I noticed, HOW AWKWARD AND STILTED DID EVERYBODY SEEM? (Including the interviewer) Maybe they were all just tired *awkward silence* XD

Great potential in this synth a portable power house!
I love those ones though That happens sometimes when there's translation going on. And I don't think the translator had a ton of knowledge about how the synth works.

Besides the Quantum, this thing stole 2nd at NAMM for me. I really want this thing, but don't want to wait, but I have to Is it just me, or does this synth have more character than a lot of the other stuff out recently? I think my Reface DX is gonna be sold.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love those ones though That happens sometimes when there's translation going on. And I don't think the translator had a ton of knowledge about how the synth works.

Besides the Quantum, this thing stole 2nd at NAMM for me. I really want this thing, but don't want to wait, but I have to
I think Cuckoo is a bit awkward himself though bless him, lots of gaps when he’s thinking of the next question, a lovely lovely guy though.

Yes I would like one of these to mess with too!
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Cuckoo is a bit awkward himself though bless him, lots of gaps when he’s thinking of the next question, a lovely lovely guy though.

Yes I would like one of these to mess with too!
Ah yeah, true, he has that about him. Luckily, he seems to be the only one that found this booth and I'm glad he did because I was unsure of what this thing really is, but now I'm ready to sign on the dotted line _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobbo View Post
Needs sequencers
I'm going to team this little guy up with my Deluge. It's going to be a perfect pair I think.
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to team this little guy up with my Deluge. It's going to be a perfect pair I think.
I think this with:

- 32 note step sequencer (4 note tracks, 4 control tracks)
- DIN MIDI
- Built into regular keyboard (4 octaves fine)

Would be a instability from far more slutz.

Maybe a version 2 one day
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think this with:

- 32 note step sequencer (4 note tracks, 4 control tracks)
- DIN MIDI
- Built into regular keyboard (4 octaves fine)

Would be a instability from far more slutz.

Maybe a version 2 one day
Ooo, and with those 4 tracks you could be able to use different synthesis methods from the ELZ_1 on each track. Just top it off with some effects (sequencable) and I would be so happy. Given this is already cheap and if it sells well, which I hope it does, then maybe they'll expand their product.

I almost don't care for that little toy keyboard on there like the Op-1 has too. I know it's for quick ideas and to play on the go, but still. Well, maybe I will take this synth to the park one day and create sounds and use what I'm given.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search