The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM)
Old 11th January 2018
Moog Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM)

New Moog "drum Machine"

Thoughts?

DFAM (Drummer From Another Mother) | Moog Music Inc

Attached Thumbnails
Moog Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM)-dfam.jpg   Moog Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM)-dfam-angle_web.jpg  
Old 11th January 2018
Deleted c985153
Intriguing, but no midi?
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like the cut of its jib
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
"[...] first addition to the Mother eco-system of semi-modular analog synthesizers."

First? What's next?
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sq-1 on steroids. F me
Old 11th January 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c985153 View Post
Intriguing, but no midi?
Wow your right. I haven't noticed that! No midi or midi over usb. That is kinda limited if your working a modern daw setup. Its kinda cool and I would be much more interested if it was around the $400 price point vs the almost 700 price point especially since its monophonic. Give me at least one voice for BD and one for snare. Having a drum machine that is not polyphonic seems pretty limiting.
Old 11th January 2018
Deleted User
So finally I will buy a Moog, this thing sounds good and varied and I love the patch points
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pete View Post

Intriguing, but no midi?
Ugh. That kind of ruins it for me.
No MIDI at all? Not even USB?
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hmm, two VCOs - might make a nice synth on its own, or as an add-on to a Mother-32....
Old 11th January 2018
Deleted c985153
Yeah i'm surprised given it seems to be related to the mother 32. Still interested tho... I'd actually been hoping to eventually add a m32 to the cv outs on my analog four, but now there's a competitor
Old 11th January 2018
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
How many voices/polyphony? (I have to watch the video later)
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
very very cool, intrigued and i can see it will get a cult following and will work well in a modular/semi modular setup which i have but i am also put off very quickly - lots of things jumping to mind so i am out before i go negative.

enjoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
Seems not :(
Lives for gear

Quote:
Qualifier- This thing looks/sounds awesome to me but I am not interested in buying it at all. Plans and such...but if I might play devil's advocate for a moment...not calling you out personally but I figured you'd give this a go without blowing up like some...right?

Respectfully, do you not own a single piece of midi-cv capable gear in what I imagine to be a very well-endowed studio that you must have? I'm not going to argue that no midi will be a dealbreaker for some folks, but in this time of CV resurgence I think Moog is betting that people have this ability or at least a Mother-32 if not a modular to use this with. And it is marketed specifically as an addition to the Mother-32 ecosystem, further supporting this argument...

I think of it kinda like Elektron's past choice to deliberately exclude Midi on the A4/K. A lot of people hated it for that but Elektron also sold a metric fvckton of them too. It was obviously a conscious decision on Moog's part too. I'm not saying it's right or wrong...I'm saying it's a "serenity prayer (remix of course) moment...people who think it is awesome enough will find a way to make it work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
in this time of CV resurgence I think Moog is betting that people have this ability or at least a Mother-32 if not a modular to use this with. And it is marketed specifically as an addition to the Mother-32 ecosystem, further supporting this argument...
fair point, but for me and my setup, I'd really have liked to have been able to use it with MIDI. Anyway, I still may be interested at some point but my GAS has deflated a bit (probably a good thing, really).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
Give me at least one voice for BD and one for snare. Having a drum machine that is not polyphonic seems pretty limiting.
Most drum voices are monophonic. Not many drum machines (or real drums ) allow chords.
As DFAM is a single voice you only need one part polyphony.
You'd want it to be multitimbral, not polyphonic to get more than one sound at a time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not going to argue that no midi will be a dealbreaker for some folks, but in this time of CV resurgence I think Moog is betting that people have this ability or at least a Mother-32 if not a modular to use this with. And it is marketed specifically as an addition to the Mother-32 ecosystem, further supporting this argument...
I think that’s about the height of it. It's aimed at modular market where most people are running cv or already have midi to cv conversion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
How many voices/polyphony? (I have to watch the video later)
one voice, one note at a time.
You need a few units or a sampler to build kits with it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikysimon View Post
fair point, but for me and my setup, I'd really have liked to have been able to use it with MIDI. Anyway, I still may be interested at some point but my GAS has deflated a bit (probably a good thing, really).
See that was my reaction too, I saw it, went "oh cool, Moog is doing sh1t, that's awesome, I don't want it but still cool."

Since I have known about this product for a long time (never thought it would make it to release) I already had time to "grieve" the fact that this wasn't for me. You see, I have already sold my Mother (and my soul) for Eurorack, and I don't have a 60HP gap in my plan coming, ever...
Old 11th January 2018
Deleted c985153
Seems expensive for a single voice drum synth, but I had a volca kick for awhile and loved it for not only the bass drum sounds, but all the wacky bleeps and blorps I could get out of it. The drummer could be a good way to mix things up and have a not so typical mono synth. Hard to say tho, I can't find a big enough pic to make out all the controls
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Respectfully, do you not own a single piece of midi-cv capable gear in what I imagine to be a very well-endowed studio that you must have?
I do, but I often like to use things standalone and not have to rely on other gear to use it. It's nice to sometimes just turn something on (especially if I'm somewhere else with a laptop) and just use it. This would make a nice standalone piece for just making analog drum tracks if I could just trigger it from Logic. I know. First world problems, but not everyone has / wants an entire eurorack setup.

Sometimes I just want to do sh|t sitting at the kitchen table.

Quote:

I think of it kinda like Elektron's past choice to deliberately exclude Midi on the A4/K.
The Analog Four has MIDI. Its built-in sequencer doesn't output MIDI, but I can still use it standalone with a DAW. I'm one of those people that doesn't use Elektron's sequencer anyway.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
s if I could just trigger it from Logic. I know. First world problems, but not everyone has / wants an entire eurorack setup.

could you not just use a pulse sample inside of logic and send it out to one of yer interface's outputs? works a charm on most things. for a pulse, your interface's outputs would not need to be dc coupled either
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaxton View Post

could you not just use a pulse sample inside of logic and send it out to one of yer interface's outputs? works a charm on most things. for a pulse, your interface's outputs would not need to be dc coupled either
I guess I could try that.

Damn you and your logical ideas.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do, but I often like to use things standalone and not have to rely on other gear to use it. It's nice to sometimes just turn something on (especially if I'm somewhere else with a laptop) and just use it. This would make a nice standalone piece for just making analog drum tracks if I could just trigger it from Logic. I know. First world problems, but not everyone has / wants an entire eurorack setup.

The Analog Four has MIDI. Its built-in sequencer doesn't output MIDI, but I can still use it standalone with a DAW. I'm one of those people that doesn't use Elektron's sequencer anyway.
Maybe you have a DC-coupled output on your interface (not actually sure if it's necessary for this)? Syncing this to a DAW would be as simple as sending a pulse out to the clock or trig input so still just one cable to hook up.
This thing is perfect for just doing sh1t at the kitchen table! And let's say you are at the kitchen table and you come up with the perfect thing that you just HAVE to get into your DAW. You can always hook up the sync cable and record it anytime. it's analog so it should be the same thing later if it's left alone. Plus timestretching/beat detection stuff has come a long way, especially when you are really close to begin with. This is how I generally work with modular loops in a DAW. It's not like you'd be working in long loops, so it's feasible. Workarounds exist for your scenario...just throwing it out there, not really arguing.

Fair point on Elektron, but my point on feature inclusion is still valid, the "omission" was deliberate and supported by a rationale, just not a rationale that everyone can relate to.

I can relate to your points without accusing you of being a "first world" baby. That sentiment is completely inappropriate here IMO since all of this sh1t exists in a completely first world paradigm (vacuum even) with no need to break that wall if we stay in context as "gearslutz", we have money to burn on all the first world problems in the universe without any regard for those less fortunate. "Social Justice Gearslut" is the biggest and most offensive oxymoron ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c985153 View Post
Seems expensive for a single voice drum
at anyone expecting anything cheap from Moog.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
interesting. part of me wants it for sure. but Ive been thinking about selling my m32 anyway. so the DFAM looks fun but not having midi and the price (its not expensive but maybe closer to $500 is the sweet spot imo) is keeping my kind of luke warm on it, for now. I need to see what else NAMM brings us. but it looks fun. I like the m32 but I have tons of synths so its def not vital and I have issues with its scaling where i have to burn a mult and a few things to get it in tune enough to use with other stuff. yet i would want to keep it then since this dfam doesnt seem to have midi and i dont have a lots of other modular stuff to interface with it. I would like to see a mother based full EG/LFO/mixer/utility type module to help expand them.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very weird stuff. I can see this in the Eurorack context, perhaps, but not a drum machine by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't sound very interesting too with all those vanilla bleeps and bloops. Disappointing, the M32 was really cool. A filter/mod/delay unit for the Mother series makes much more sense to me.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear
This doesn’t looks like yet another boring analogue drum machine. First of all it sounds unique to me and the ‘promotional demo’ that Moog they provide is excellent and can give to us a clue of its capabilities.

The thing is, that beyond of the classical electronic analogue drum sounds, you can achieve and a wide variety of unique soundscapes with this machine, enchasing with that way the sonic infrastructure of your songs, which to me it is something very important and if you have the right tools you can do it effortlessly.

And the aesthetics and its layout and workflow are almost perfect, and I like it a lot.

Kudos to Moog, Bravo.

My only complain is the price, but this issue can be solved easily from Moog I guess. $ 499 will make it more appealing and more competitive, instead of the actual $ 679 price.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Maybe you have a DC-coupled output on your interface (not actually sure if it's necessary for this)? Syncing this to a DAW would be as simple as sending a pulse out to the clock or trig input so still just one cable to hook up.
Already answered. See above
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Took long enough

Easily the most interesting Moog product in my budget...I could see picking this one up.
📝 Reply