The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM) Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Cool. Sounds like a fun little machine. Nice to have in a three-tier setup.

But that promo-video with the generic art student hipster-cliché talk just makes me want to barf.
Yeah, the mix tapes (as mentioned) were a little over the top. Along with the shot of the Malcom X biography in the white persons $3,000+ a month apartment. We get it, Moog. You’re diversified.

As for the product.... *yawn*
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Yeah, the mix tapes (as mentioned) were a little over the top. Along with the shot of the Malcom X biography in the white persons $3,000+ a month apartment. We get it, Moog. You’re diversified.

As for the product.... *yawn*
You don't know what her rent is.

White people aren't supposed to read about Malcom X?

What is "over the top" about mixtapes? People find them at yard sales and thrift stores for $0.50. They're fun to have. Big deal. She's playing all over Europe in the next few months. What are you doing?

Like I said before, I enjoyed this video more than the vast majority of product announcements. There was a little bit too much preciousness for my tastes, but that is entirely because of the editing of the video, not because of the artists.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
It's true.

I don't know what country you are in but a moped is a little engined bike on a crappy frame with awful bloody wheels and a shoddy build in general, it is assisted by pedals if required and also used on occasion to start due to its wimpy engine, a scooter such as a Vespa (look it up) has a footboard and is most likely covered in mirrors, certainly in history and also the comeback of old, watch quadrophenia if you didn't have skinheads or mods in your country and you'll see what scooter boys are and what they ride.
now tell me, how do I become a scooter boy?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Just saw the video, wow , its nice. A bit too expensive for me right now , but a really nice option to add to the Mother 32 tier system when I'm ready. Appreciated the girls in the video, at least they weren't wearing bikinis like in car shows. Down to earth looking with attention to nail pollish and nice wrist bands, just like me. I liked.

Great modding on this thread too, I was so happy to see what you guys did.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmm View Post
than check out this one for a change (0 talking):
Gwar doing an official demo for Moog. I didn't realize Moog made a BBD chorus, but I may have to give this a go.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
She's playing all over Europe in the next few months. What are you doing?
lol
nailed it
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

What disappointed me about the video is it left me non the wiser about the product.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have 3 Mothers and would be interested in adding one or two of these but the DFAM is $100 more than the Mother 32 here in Australia. It would be cheaper and more versatile to buy more M32s than the DFAM at this stage.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Its not their second eurorack module, but the first expansion to the mother ecosystem? Like they invented the format?

A bit overpriced compared to other such modules. Sounds are good tho and look is very pretty.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
What disappointed me about the video is it left me non the wiser about the product.
Yup
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Because its geared towards Eurorack, and if you want Midi then you pair it with the 32.
Yup
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Agreed.

Last edited by timc3; 13th January 2018 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: My poor use of English
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut78 View Post

I have 3 Mothers
Your dad must be exhausted.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
one voice, one note at a time.
You need a few units or a sampler to build kits with it.
To my mind this it the kind of bit of kit you layer with a more standard drum machine to make something interesting happen.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
A bit overpriced compared to other such modules. Sounds are good tho and look is very pretty.
compared to what though ?

if i bought 2 VCO's, Filter, ADSR and Sequencer in Eurorack modules as good quality as the Moog i'm thinking it would cost a lot more.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The manual is quite helpful, especially the bit at the back that shows some patching possibilities.

https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/defa...FAM_Manual.pdf
Old 13th January 2018
Moog is making less and less complex and costly (for them) gear and charging higher and higher prices. $700 for a single analog drum. Can’t call it a machine cause it has only one voice. I guess if you got too much money and time to waste...
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

In a years time when the dust settles and prices are more sensible i'll probably end up with one of these in my Rack, as i have a M-32 it would be rude not too
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Two Times View Post
Moog is making less and less complex and costly (for them) gear and charging higher and higher prices. $700 for a single analog drum. Can’t call it a machine cause it has only one voice. I guess if you got too much money and time to waste...
As i mentioned in another thread if you look at the Audio Damage ADM14 BOOMTSCHAK its a lovely module but retails in the UK for about £450/£500 or the Hexinverter Mutant Machine £530/£570 again lovely module , then if you compare the 3 together it makes the Moog price look a very reasonable offering, can i even say No-brainer ?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
compared to what though ?

if i bought 2 VCO's, Filter, ADSR and Sequencer in Eurorack modules as good quality as the Moog i'm thinking it would cost a lot more.
I dont want to dive into a comparison discussion at all. But there are other drum voices available that also cost less. And the sequencer is pretty basic as far as the video explained it.

Anyway, its not my intention to bash the product itself.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Some nice sounds. Judging from the video maybe not that versatile for a drum module, but a more in depth review, focusing more on sounds and possibilities than on the damsels so cool way of life and pets , would be needed to know more about that. Or best : personal hands on experience. I'm sure some more vids and sound example will appear, or can already be found. A bit pricey it's true, but it seems to do well what it is intended to do, and if built quality is high, why not ?
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As i mentioned in another thread if you look at the Audio Damage ADM14 BOOMTSCHAK its a lovely module but retails in the UK for about £450/£500 or the Hexinverter Mutant Machine £530/£570 again lovely module , then if you compare the 3 together it makes the Moog price look a very reasonable offering, can i even say No-brainer ?
The EMW Analog Drum Synth is 170 quid.

I remember your comment about looking at Boomtschak and going for Drumbrute instead because it felt so unreasonable.
DFAM is 200.- Euro more than the Boomtschak still..

Hence my assessment its a bit steep priced.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Someone should have told her that home taping is killing music! Maybe they're hand-me-downs. Really odd seeing those.
Yeah, geez, I really cannot imagine someone or some group of people becoming obsessive about old audio technology. Man, imagine someone collecting old obsolete gear!! The nerve of these hipsters.
Old 13th January 2018
To me this unit is a breath of fresh air.

I personally am bored to death with drum machines and have recently moved into using synths like the MS20M as a one voice drum module. This unit is another step in that direction for me. Wonder if it will play nice with the sq1, I see no reason why not.

Looking forward to using this unit with my soon to be arriving Space Case TE-1 tape delay ... with a full CV implementation. Timing couldn't be better.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Yeah, geez, I really cannot imagine someone or some group of people becoming obsessive about old audio technology. Man, imagine someone collecting old obsolete gear!! The nerve of these hipsters.
Ha! I was just thinking of the hoops she'd have to jump through these days to use pirated cassettes. Buy a CD/record player. Buy the music on CD/vinyl. Buy a cassette deck. Buy the blank tapes. Buy some phono leads. Record it all (in real time!). Copy out the track listing onto the inlay card. Buy a tape storage rack. What a hobby! I know we all did that in the past but flipping crikey she must be a glutton for punishment if she's done all that.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Its not their second eurorack module, but the first expansion to the mother ecosystem? Like they invented the format?

I hear you but I am more likely to expand my two Mother32s with a similar Moog product with same design as that’s a more cost efficient way to go. Sorta the same as the Volca series for Korg.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Ha! I was just thinking of the hoops she'd have to jump through these days to use pirated cassettes. Buy a CD/record player. Buy the music on CD/vinyl. Buy a cassette deck. Buy the blank tapes. Buy some phono leads. Record it all (in real time!). Copy out the track listing onto the inlay card. Buy a tape storage rack. What a hobby! I know we all did that in the past but flipping crikey she must be a glutton for punishment if she's done all that.
She probably just inherited the collection from somewhere. People still have tapes.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
She probably just inherited the collection from somewhere. People still have tapes.
Yes, I hope so! Doing what I described these days would make what we obsess over look sane.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotuZia View Post
Some nice sounds. Judging from the video maybe not that versatile for a drum module, but a more in depth review, focusing more on sounds and possibilities than on the damsels so cool way of life and pets , would be needed to know more about that. Or best : personal hands on experience. I'm sure some more vids and sound example will appear, or can already be found. A bit pricey it's true, but it seems to do well what it is intended to do, and if built quality is high, why not ?
Yeah the video is in the same style as some of those Arturia ones that are designed to get you interested. No issues with that as there will be more qualified individuals to do the other videos showing the product in detail. The Mother32s have a ton of them.
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
The EMW Analog Drum Synth is 170 quid.

I remember your comment about looking at Boomtschak and going for Drumbrute instead because it felt so unreasonable.
DFAM is 200.- Euro more than the Boomtschak still..

Hence my assessment its a bit steep priced.
DFAM comes with rack and power. 2 x OSC, plus noise, dual filter (lpf/hpf), loads of patch points in and out.

For me it's priced about right. Not a bargain, but definitely not over priced.
You can't really compare the DFAM package to a single (unracked, unpowered) Euro module.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search