The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM)
Old 3 weeks ago
My week-old DFAM has been proving to be an excellent, inspiring source of percussive textures. I haven't even tried using it as a "drum machine."

Here's one such example I just did... it's a single-tracked DFAM sequenced with Korg SQ-1, which is a cheap way of amplifying the possibilities. Some delay+reverb provided by Zebrify.

On top of this, I could layer an acoustic frame drum, something melodic, more bleeps and bloops from another synth, or just leave it as-is.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Here it is being used as a mono synth.

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The DFAM is fantastic, sounds great and has lots of CV control.

My latest track uses the DFAM as a kick that is externally sequenced via the Analogue Solutions Oberkorn and ran thru an API 2500.

Also, the Korg MS20M is used for high hats and in the middle section it is paired with the Future Retro XS for a clap. The ARP 2600 (ttsh) is used in self resonance for metallic drums with trailing noise.

The track purposely features the accompanying players though I did try to squeeze in some custom drums on it ... I play the synths and programmed the drums.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
Here it is being used as a mono synth.

Love this. Damn..pitch/gate, or anything else patched in?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very new to considering the DFAM.
I wonder: Can the DFAM also sound soft? As in, slow attack? Every demo I hear is too hard for my style, so I wonder whether I should keep considering.
Yes, it can go more soft and melodic, and you can somewhat soften the attack by going negative on the VCF EG amount. The example I posted a few posts above is an example, it goes a bit softer halfway through with some knob twisting.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➡️
I wonder: Can the DFAM also sound soft? As in, slow attack? Every demo I hear is too hard for my style, so I wonder whether I should keep considering.
The DFAM is very strong when using it as source for background percussion lines to fill in the gaps.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There are only two settings for attack . Fast and slow. It's on a switch, not a knob. I find the slow setting useless because it doesn't seem to fit any sounds I make.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I keep the attack fast and then use the envelope on the VCF to soften things up.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not really. At least not without patching in other modules. The slow attack setting is still snappy.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Using a controller/sequencer for the DFAM & Werkstatt-01

Hey guys I have a quick yet difficult question. Or maybe it is a dumb question. Can the KeyStep 37 and/or the KeyStep Pro be used to control/sequence the Moog DFAM and Moog Werkstatt-01? I know the voltage of the DFAM and Werkstatt is -5V to 5V. If the voltage of the KeyStep 37 and KeyStep Pro is 0V to 10V it seems they would be incompatible with the DFAM and the Werkstatt-01. Am I correct in this thinking since neither have MIDI and both have to be controlled through CV? Any information you guys can provide and solutions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

@ amontagnet

the Pitch inputs for both VCO's are -5 to 5+, but some of the CV inputs need 0-8+ and/or 0-10+. so you could do some CV controls without any problems and sync works as well with the Keystep. but i do not own the keystep, so i cannot insure that. just download the DFAM user manual, all specs are listet^^
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Airwindows

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by amontagnet ➡️
Hey guys I have a quick yet difficult question. Or maybe it is a dumb question. Can the KeyStep 37 and/or the KeyStep Pro be used to control/sequence the Moog DFAM and Moog Werkstatt-01? I know the voltage of the DFAM and Werkstatt is -5V to 5V. If the voltage of the KeyStep 37 and KeyStep Pro is 0V to 10V it seems they would be incompatible with the DFAM and the Werkstatt-01. Am I correct in this thinking since neither have MIDI and both have to be controlled through CV? Any information you guys can provide and solutions would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Oddly enough I just put mine into my Moog-section, and it was working well.

What I mean is, I have a Sub Phatty and a little rack for the semi-modulars. I've had a Mother32 running off the Sub Phatty for some time: best expansion EVER, you can do a lot of crazy things to make the Sub Phatty sound more intense, and you can do that 'extra oscillator, but this one has a teeny glide' thing that some synths are able to do (and that featured in some classic Tommy Mars Zappa synth patches). And the Mother32 can be driven by MIDI, including the Sub Phatty's MIDI out (will also work for driving the Phatty with external midi)

The DFAM can't take MIDI, but the Mother32 will put out pitch CVs. I made a little patchcord to drive both oscillator pitches (VCO 1 CV. VCO 2 CV) from the KB output of the Mother32 (this is the same as you'd get from the CV of a Keystep, and I can also run the GATE to TRIGGER (or ADV/CLOCK) on the DFAM, which will sound notes. That's what you'd do.

I found the range of pitch adjustments on the DFAM, and how twitchy it is with the built-in pitch envelope, were really intense. This is not easy to make into a 'nice' in-tune well-behaved sound. But the range of adjustment will cover anything you could possibly want… and put it this way.

Output (on the back panel) of Mother32 to ext in of the Sub Phatty. Now you have your extra oscillator. Then, patched as above, add a patch from VCA of the DFAM to Ext In of the Mother32. Now you can patch the DFAM and combine it with the extra oscillator of the Mother32 or replace the one on the Mother32 (it's a bit dirty, too, with such a complicated routing). Plus, you can run a separate cable and grab a clean output off the back of the DFAM for handling separately, leaving the VCA patched in for use with other patches on the larger system (I've got it set up so I can hit a footswitch on a pedalboard and go between the Sub Phatty output, and direct DFAM for use as basses or more organic things)

I think the answer to you would be 'YES'. As in, I see no reason you couldn't make it work off a Keystep: the range of tuning is SO great. You might want to split the CV into both osc inputs, and tuning will NOT track as well as a dedicated Moog, but it sounds nothing like a dedicated Moog anyhow, and you'll be able to get it into the zone so long as your melodies don't cover too many octaves.

I'm counting 6 oscillators in my own setup there, one of which is the sub-octave and one is the Sub Phatty's second osc, making three. Add the Mother32 osc (not counting getting two notes out of it with squarewave pitch modulation really fast ) and the two on the DFAM (and you can get them to stay on by setting the VCA decay real slow and then just making tempo retrigger super fast) and that's six Moog oscillators making a possible chord for about $2400, though it's not paraphonic in the least

Anyway, yes I bet you can
📝 Reply