The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf STVC - String Synthesizer and Vocoder Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Waldorf STVC - String Synthesizer and Vocoder

Last edited by CasimirsBlake; 11th January 2018 at 08:42 PM..
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Wait... what!? Completely out the blue?

So a Streichfett with keyboard and vocoder added. At $899 it's $530 more than the $369 Streichfett, hmm...
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Addict

Interesting. Is the Quantum going to pop up out of the blue like this as well.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

So strange... this and the new Behringer Vp330 all at once...
Old 11th January 2018
Must be more to it than I'm seeing, or perhaps Waldorf had lots of spare black metal cases to get rid of, we've seen repackaging in the past !
Old 11th January 2018
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Wait... what!? Completely out the blue?

So a Streichfett with keyboard and vocoder added. At $899 it's $530 more than the $369 Streichfett, hmm...
why so costlyyy
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Poor Waldorf. I don’t know why anyone would want this when they can have analog with the Behringer if they wait a bit. I’d much rather the real thing.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Boy they are really milking that Blokey casing.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdsl View Post
why so costlyyy
I suspect build quality, likely a Fatar keyboard in there.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Poor Waldorf. I don’t know why anyone would want this when they can have analog with the Behringer if they wait a bit. I’d much rather the real thing.
It's basically a typical Waldorf wavetable engine underneath, with sound-design constraints and two-part multitimbrality–I was just thinking this morning about my Streichfett in the context of the VP-340 clone, and why I'd keep it.

Of course, it also makes you wonder whether the VP-340 announcement was made with foreknowledge of what was coming down the pike from Waldorf, but–hey, I'll leave the tin-foil hat at home....
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I suspect build quality, likely a Fatar keyboard in there.
Yeah, looks like the trusty TP/9S, semi-weighted as usual.
Old 11th January 2018
this is like textbook example of bad timing,, they come out with a costly and digital version of VP330, based on (IMO not so great sounding) Streichfett technology at the same moment Berhinger shows their analog replication.

i mean, of course its too early too say if B is going to sound any good, but for this peticular application (vocoding, bandpass filter network, bbd ensemble) i am betting my money on analog tech, even on cheap analog tech. not to underestimate its design looks just phenomenal, much better than miniaturized minimoog. and helluva lot better than this Waldorf.

waldorf is one of my favorite synth companies but damn this is a misplaced move. almost as bad as the zarenbourg which costs more than a real rhodes
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, this could be difficult for Waldorf. There will be some people who prefer it to the real thing though, there always are!
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Hopefully have enough digital power in there to make this more interesting.
Old 11th January 2018
Deleted User
Better snap one up now!
Not listed on their webpage even.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac

lol power via usb
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
this is like textbook example of bad timing,, they come out with a costly and digital version of VP330, based on (IMO not so great sounding) Streichfett technology at the same moment Berhinger shows their analog replication.

i mean, of course its too early too say if B is going to sound any good, but for this peticular application (vocoding, bandpass filter network, bbd ensemble) i am betting my money on analog tech, even on cheap analog tech. not to underestimate its design looks just phenomenal, much better than miniaturized minimoog. and helluva lot better than this Waldorf.

waldorf is one of my favorite synth companies but damn this is a misplaced move. almost as bad as the zarenbourg which costs more than a real rhodes
It’s more bad luck than bad decision making IMO

How could they know about the Uli product?

Unfortunately they got disrupted
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
It’s more bad luck than bad decision making IMO

How could they know about the Uli product?

Unfortunately they got disrupted
I suppose it depends when they started developing this, but Behringer sneak-peaked VP-330 PCBs.. last May..
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
I suppose it depends when they started developing this, but Behringer sneak-peaked VP-330 PCBs.. last May..
Oops. Well they don’t seem like the type of dudes that read Behringer threads.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac

They added a rate parameter to the fx, guess that was avidly requested for the Phaser and Animate.
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
almost as bad as the zarenbourg which costs more than a real rhodes
It also does quite a lot more than a real Rhodes.
Old 11th January 2018
Any sound demos? I wonder if it really does sound just like the Streichfett.

Pete
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Nut

do you reckon they've fixed the clipping that you get on the striechfett?

this may not be such a bad deal if they've upgraded the engine to support multiple different ensemble types and some tweaking to emulate the greats in the field (if it could be as flexible and good as an Omni-2 i'd be all over it). although im gonna buy the behringer it is just going to be one sound. and I already have 4 stringers + streichfett and still want MORE for variety.

if its pretty limited I've been thinking about experimenting with the teensy microcontroller which has a comprehensive audio library, should be able to do something cool and stringy with it.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Lol. The Streichfett sounds amazing, and so this will without any doubt have the voices and grunt to impress. Sometimes digital wins.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder which vocoder, this or the Behringer that would be most suitable for funk.
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Addict

I love the Waldorf sound and aesthetic, and will be very interested in hearing this. Also love me some digital.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednurk View Post
do you reckon they've fixed the clipping that you get on the striechfett?
It was in an OS update, IIRC? v1.11 changelog:

- improved sound quality / internal clipping
- factory presets recoverable with 1+2+3 presets buttons
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I love the Waldorf sound and aesthetic, and will be very interested in hearing this. Also love me some digital.
Yes, if it's basically a re-jigged Streichfett I think the sound may be so different from the Behringer as to almost be in a different category. The unashamedly digital but smooth Waldorf sound will always be interesting to a lot of people - but they do have a marketing fight on their hands to deal with first on this one, though.

Last edited by wendell r.; 23rd January 2018 at 08:58 PM..
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

What's the deal with the letters F/N/F+/G on the outer ring of the registration knob? Are these vocoder settings? I don't remember seeing them on the Streichfett.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search