The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creepy Dark Hardware Reverb? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Creepy Dark Hardware Reverb?

Looking for reverb for vintage horror/sci-fi sountrack inspired stuff. Particularly Zombi/Steve Moore/Majeure inspired stuff (anyone know what they use?).

Just got a pcm 70, and it sounds great, I totally get why people say it 'melds with the sound.' But comparing it a/b with Valhalla plugs, tiled room sounds better on the pcm, but concert hall a/b comparing with Valhalla Room den pcm hall preset, with a little tweaking, I can't tell the diff. Maybe I don't know what to listen for cause I'm a hardware reverb newb, but if plugs get that close, so much more flexible and reliable.

The Lexicon 200 from demos sounds lusher, darker, and deeper. Does that make sense?

I already have a spring reverb, Furman RV-1, not overly impressed, really short, mono, seems more a special effect. What about a better spring, like Micmix XL-305?

Others I hear good things about are Klark Teknik DN780, Oto BAM (I hear it's a little less lush than the pcm 70, but I love the BIM), Meris Reverb Pedal (seems a bit like too clean hifi trying to be dark), Dynacord DRS-78/DRP-16/20 (I've heard they're a bit lo-fi for my tastes), Ursa Major Stargate (can't find any audio demos!).

I'm fine with plugins, love my Valhalla stuff, but people I know with real recording experience tell me 'hardware is a whole diff level'.

Then again, some of the new stuff I like that's horror inspired is creepy with everything BUT the reverb. Demos I've heard of Lexicon 300 and 92 sound pretty amazing, and likely beyond most plugs, perhaps that makes sense, creepy sounds into classy reverb?

Production wise, I tend to like warm and full, albums that sound like Katy Lied/Royal Scam (almost no verb on these, I know!), early Elton John albums (ie: Tumbleweed Connection), mid-70's Floyd and Genesis, more than the Goblin sproingy sound.

Thoughts?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Some examples of the sound:

Zombi - Night Rhythms:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

(ps, already have a Dynacord VRS-23, love it, but it's more a special effect.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
Some examples of the sound:

Zombi - Night Rhythms:

Nice track. Hard to dephifer the reverbs, fair bit of delay on this one, but from what you described I think you need a Lexicon 224. The first one or the XL (I've got that, 300L & a 480. The 224XL is the creepy one!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't think they are using really expensive gear, in their interviews they talk about their passion for affordable synths (PolySix is on all their stuff, Prophet 600, Moog Source, and Pro One are their other standbys), and I think they self-produce some of their albums. Seeing as the 224 is pricey, could it be the 200?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The 200 sounds similar. Or you could try the UAD 224.
Old 1 week ago
Geariophile

Quote:
I don't think they are using really expensive gear, in their interviews they talk about their passion for affordable synths (PolySix is on all their stuff, Prophet 600, Moog Source, and Pro One are their other standbys), and I think they self-produce some of their albums. Seeing as the 224 is pricey, could it be the 200?
That's a tasty list of synth tones! Very specifically up my personal taste alley. Wow.

For cheap and dark verb try Korg DRV1000 and Dynachord DRP16. For the big stuff Dynacord DRP20. Or even Roland R880.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Ibanez SDR 1000+ and Korg SDD-3000 Delay
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I like this one.

And check out xln rc-20. Can do alot of fun fx with that plugin. Simple to use and quick results.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, the KT DN780 is a very good reverb for some things. There's a bit of a metallic sheen on the tails (similar to but not as pronounced as the Yamaha REV 7) and it works great for snares and percussive sounds.

The Lexicon 224 is probably the thing to get if you really wanted to nail that sound ... but ... they are expensive, if you find one cheap it's probably going to need work, and there's a fan to deal with as well. The good news is that there's a great tech firm in Ohio that will fix up any issues, so if you get one, you can keep it running.

There's a couple GS threads about the differences between the various Lexicons and which ones are more closely related, but the GS search engine is kind of remedial so I can't find the specific posts now. Look in the Geekslutz forum for the Reverb Subculture mega-thread for discussions on all things reverb. There's also a thread somewhere with Casey (from Bricasti) and Michael Carnes (ex-Lexicon) discussing the various models.

I liked the 200 when I had it, but it was fairly limited in what it could do (compared to the 480L that I also have here). The nice thing was all controls were right there on the panel. If you can find a working 200 for a decent price, it's a low risk purchase since you'd be able to sell it off for the same price after trying it out for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

On the OTO Bam one of the algorythms is called "Primitive" as it emulate old reverbs from early 60's; very creepy and dark sounding. You can listen to some exemple of the different algo on the Oto bam youtube clip
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
On the OTO Bam one of the algorythms is called "Primitive" as it emulate old reverbs from early 60's; very creepy and dark sounding. You can listen to some exemple of the different algo on the Oto bam youtube clip
plus with the analog filter it can get as dark as you want.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
FWIW, the KT DN780 is a very good reverb for some things. There's a bit of a metallic sheen on the tails (similar to but not as pronounced as the Yamaha REV 7) and it works great for snares and percussive sounds.

The Lexicon 224 is probably the thing to get if you really wanted to nail that sound ... but ... they are expensive, if you find one cheap it's probably going to need work, and there's a fan to deal with as well. The good news is that there's a great tech firm in Ohio that will fix up any issues, so if you get one, you can keep it running.

There's a couple GS threads about the differences between the various Lexicons and which ones are more closely related, but the GS search engine is kind of remedial so I can't find the specific posts now. Look in the Geekslutz forum for the Reverb Subculture mega-thread for discussions on all things reverb. There's also a thread somewhere with Casey (from Bricasti) and Michael Carnes (ex-Lexicon) discussing the various models.

I liked the 200 when I had it, but it was fairly limited in what it could do (compared to the 480L that I also have here). The nice thing was all controls were right there on the panel. If you can find a working 200 for a decent price, it's a low risk purchase since you'd be able to sell it off for the same price after trying it out for a while.
It's always a pleasure when OldGearGuy shows up in a thread. Someone who def seems to know what he's talking about!

I've been doing my best to track down those lexicon threads and many are very good. Google site specific search is pretty good, but I don't recall seeing some of those you mentioned.

I'm honestly surprised how close Valhalla can get to the pcm 70, so many said classic hardware is just in another league, and it's clearly gorgeous, but I'm trying to hear what's better in the hardware and its real subtle, not sure it's worth it.

Seems the 200 is a sensible next guess, as the 224 is just more than I'd like to spend. Any other units worth that specifically have a similar sound? One that keeps showing up in threads is the Stargate, but can't find any audio of it, and they have gotten pricey to just purchase on pure hearsay!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
anyone compare the BAM with some of the classic Lexicon boxes a/b? There's an interesting demo on a German site amazonia.de that has it up against a 224 and it certainly holds its own, but I found it a little hard to a/b compare the way they set up the demos.

Some BAM demos it seems to 'meld' with the sound the way lexicons do. That said, I have the Oto Bim, and there's something really alive about that box, something about the stereo imaging just makes it a really organic warm device.

Then again, seeing how close Valhalla is getting to the pcm 70, curious if anyone has closely compared it to the best plugins! Of course it's a lot more 'playable' as an instrument, but I'm talking in terms of sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I have an Earthquaker Devices Afterneath pedal and I like it alot. Only synth I have used it on is BS2 and its not stereo. But it sounds great, and can be found used for under 200 easily. This may be of no help but it's the first thing I reach for when I want dark, haunting reverb.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quadraverb, mixing skill.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM2030 View Post
Quadraverb, mixing skill.
I must not have the required mixing skills for that one, as I found it too noisy for my tastes, but I know a lot of people swear but it. Same with the REV7, which was the first digital reverb that I purchased. I did like the flanged verb and some room sounds but not enough to keep it.

One of my go to verbs now is the Ursa Major Stargate, it has a certain sound, not Lexicon and not metallic. It's great for somethings, not so great for others. I also have a Lexicon 300 which is superb, and a TC Reverb 4000 which sounds great on solo instruments. I also just got an Eventide 4000 to replace my Sony R7, that Blackhole patch is pretty great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
I must not have the required mixing skills for that one, as I found it too noisy for my tastes, but I know a lot of people swear but it. Same with the REV7, which was the first digital reverb that I purchased. I did like the flanged verb and some room sounds but not enough to keep it.

One of my go to verbs now is the Ursa Major Stargate, it has a certain sound, not Lexicon and not metallic. It's great for somethings, not so great for others. I also have a Lexicon 300 which is superb, and a TC Reverb 4000 which sounds great on solo instruments. I also just got an Eventide 4000 to replace my Sony R7, that Blackhole patch is pretty great.
A stargate! Do you have any audio you can share, or tracks of yours I can find online that have that reverb used? I've heard such wonderful things about it, but hardly any demos.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

An eventide, the blackhole and mangledverb get quite dark, you can get the eventide space or the H9 max. For sound design, eventide is hard to beat.

RC20 retrocolor is also another option to get vintage sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I have an Earthquaker Devices Afterneath pedal and I like it alot. Only synth I have used it on is BS2 and its not stereo. But it sounds great, and can be found used for under 200 easily. This may be of no help but it's the first thing I reach for when I want dark, haunting reverb.
Love Earthquaker device pedals! Tried several of them (Transmisser!), had a lot of fun, love the ideas and graphics, but found them a bit lo-fi for studio use on synths. If I were a guitarist working live, tho, wow.
Old 1 week ago
The Mercury7 by Meris is based off of the Lexicon 224! I really love mine and it sounds fantastic

Plus the pitch vectoring on the verb lets you do some really creepy effects for the horror genre
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Then again, seeing how close Valhalla is getting to the pcm 70, curious if anyone has closely compared it to the best plugins! Of course it's a lot more 'playable' as an instrument, but I'm talking in terms of sound.
I would recommend checking out ValhallaVintageVerb, if you are looking for something close to the PCM70. I used the PCM60, PCM70, Lex 300, and 224XL as the main reference points when dialing in the VintageVerb algorithms, and that Zombi clip makes me instantly think of some of the VintageVerb stuff.

As far as hardware, I am always a fan of the older Alesis boxes, especially the Midiverb II and Quadraverb. These are WAY cheap nowadays, although it looks like the Midiverb II is going up somewhat in price. The Midiverb II has the "dark, cold" algorithms down pat, while the Quadraverb has nice modulated reverbs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A stargate! Do you have any audio you can share, or tracks of yours I can find online that have that reverb used? I've heard such wonderful things about it, but hardly any demos.
These albums have Stargate all over them, but they also have other reverbs as well:

Slow Dream | Projekt Records

Phantom Gong | Loren Nerell

Tree of Life | Projekt Records

Their is also this youtube video:

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

For an old rack recommendation I might suggest the Roland DEP5. It is a bulky rack-mounted beast but the modulated reverb is unearthly. The Alesis Wedge is worth a mention as well. It is very tweakable and can go disturbing and extremely deep-space with VERY long trails and the "swirl" parameter. Been listening to demos of Mercury 7...and it sounds pretty great. TC Electronic has the T2 reverb pedal which is geared toward slightly "abnormal" reverberated sounds also...worth a look. Oh...and Eventide Space. Cheers.

Last edited by Quartermass; 1 week ago at 11:21 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I would recommend checking out ValhallaVintageVerb, if you are looking for something close to the PCM70. I used the PCM60, PCM70, Lex 300, and 224XL as the main reference points when dialing in the VintageVerb algorithms, and that Zombi clip makes me instantly think of some of the VintageVerb stuff.

As far as hardware, I am always a fan of the older Alesis boxes, especially the Midiverb II and Quadraverb. These are WAY cheap nowadays, although it looks like the Midiverb II is going up somewhat in price. The Midiverb II has the "dark, cold" algorithms down pat, while the Quadraverb has nice modulated reverbs.
The man himself! I LOVE your plugins, and have several, VintageVerb being my favorite.

Sorry if I was a little unclear with what I wrote, I was wondering if anyone had compared Oto BAM to the pcm 70 or VintageVerb.

This thread started cause after hearing so much about how hardware is better than the best plugins eve today, I got the pcm 70, compared it to VintageVerb and Valhalla Room, and it's so close I'm thinking of probably selling the pcm 70!

So cheers to Valhalla! Amazing stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your "Zombi" posts are using filtered white noise in the mix, makes the reverb sound creepy.

Another creepy trick ts to sample your breath noise in to a sampler, put a lot of reverb on it, and pitch it down (or wherever it works the track). Layer that with other instruments. I'd say my PCM-80 is best for those types of effects , I have the pitch-shift card for it....pitch shifted reverbs are very ominous. (The Eventide H-series is supposed to be even better for that kind of thing, still want one...)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The Empress Reverb has the creepiest decay i've heard in awhile. Especially the setting called "Ghost".

Ghost usually reside in creepy dark places so check it out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermass View Post
For an old rack recommendation I might suggest the Roland DEP5. It is a bulky rack-mounted beast but the modulated reverb is unearthly.
I recently got a DEP5 and I have to second that. In particular I think it's great because it can do both very small spaces (similar to the small size settings on the Quantec QRS) and very large spaces. And there's enough variety between the algorithms that it's pretty much always useful. The reverbs don't have a lot of parameters, but it covers a lot of ground anyway, and the super long decay times sound excellent. It's great for space music type stuff, although that might be partly because turning the decay time knob to the maximum is a lot easier than holding an increment button down for like 45 seconds...

I want to point out, though, that not all modulated reverbs are equal. The Lexicon algorithms put the modulated taps inside the feedback loop, so it sort of gets more rich and thick sounding over time (this isn't always desirable, though). Things like the DEP5 and Quadraverb really just add mild pitch modulation to the output. If you listen to the wet signal only, it sort of just sounds like it has some weird vibrato on it. Although you could maybe try putting it in a feedback loop...

The Ursa Major reverbs (excluding the 8x32) have a ridiculous amount of modulation, more than probably anything else. So with long decay times everything turns into a mess. I think these are pretty much restricted to really weird effects, and aren't great for conventionally "good" sounding reverbs.

The Ibanez SDR-1000 is also great, although it's not modulated. I think it's mostly nice because you can get a very usable reverb with less than a minute of editing. But it's not particularly flexible or great for huge space reverbs.

I don't think the Quadraverb is great. I think its main asset is that you can make the echo density extremely low for an intentionally very grainy sound. Not a lot of reverbs can do that. But in general it's too hard to actually get a good sound of it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search