The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blofeld Editor/Librarian in 2018
Old 9th January 2018
  #1
Blofeld Editor/Librarian in 2018

Greetings gents! After spending some extra time over the holidays really digging in to my Blo-keys, I’ve decided it is likely a lifetime keeper. A Microwave I has eluded me a few times now, and the interface blows. Anyways, I’m not up for modules anymore so the XT is a no go, and the XTKeys is really pricey, and I also love having the wavetables along with VA. Blofeld is just a great synth despite depressing FX, but I have that covered anyhow. I mean, Blofeld can really go places, and reach territory that I’ve never even heard before.

BUT....while I personally think the inteface gets unfair criticism, when you get to your 5th, 6th, 7th modulation slot, and your 3rd modifier, one wrong knob turn and I lose where I’m at and kind of lose focus on where I am in the patch.

I keep reading, wait for Mystery Islands. Well, I’ve had the Blofeld almost a year, and still waiting on Mystery Islands. Other options like the free iPad Patch Base looks cool, but my iPad is acting up, and I’m typically using it to control the H9Max. I will never buy reKon again, so don’t even mention it. Then there are many others that are circa 2010, no thanks. There is a Max-4-Live editor, but I don’t use Live, then a Reaktor one, but I’m anti-NI. Softknobs looks okay, but is it PC only? Also the demo vid lacked audio, so it was hard to follow along with what was going on.

So this seems to leave me with Monstrumfeld, which looks pretty, but seems I would still have to go to the Blofeld to intitialize and save the patch? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Not huge, but curious. It also seems to lack any librarian features for moving patches around, saving patches/sets to the computer, etc.

Most importantly, I want to be able to quickly navigate the modulation/modifier matrices, and the arp/sequencer, which is less than thrilling to program on the Blofeld. With really complex patches, I want fo see it all in front of me.

Any others I’m missing? Who is happy with Monstrumfeld? Criticisms? Anyone else waiting for Mystery Islands?

Thanks for any opinions/info.
Old 9th January 2018
  #2
Patch Base is awesome, but not free.
Old 9th January 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Patch Base is totally worth it.
Old 9th January 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
Try Edisyn. It's free. Tell me if you like it.
Old 12th January 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
blinky909's Avatar
About - Bigglesworth

this is very nice.
Old 12th January 2018
  #6
Deleted User
Guest
I have 64 patches left on H bank. Every single one has been editied from the front panel.
I already wore out the encoders on one Blokeys. No worries just bought another one (used)
to suffer a similar fate. I have to have the tactile sensation when programming.
I used to edit music ITB from about 1990-2005, but my 286 broke, and ever since
it has been live only!
Old 14th February 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I tried the Softknobs editor yesterday - I like it.
I was using a different one, but it was vst only, so I had to fire up my DAW.
Not really a big deal. It works fine and there's also a wavetable creator here:
Kotro Laszlo Lehel

The Softknobs one can be used stand alone, and there's pc and Mac versions:
Softknobs for Blofeld 1.4.0 available | Softknobs

About the Blofeld - I haven't had this much fun programming a synth
since I started doing it over 31 years ago.
It's got most of the stuff I like to use.
You can't mod the fx, but if you've got external stuff or do it ITB, it doesn't matter.
The knobs on my Blokeys are pretty funky, so I got a desktop a couple days ago.
That one seems to be working fine.

I just read something on the Waldorf forum about the OS. They're working on figuring
out what all the knob complaints are on the latest one, and have put os1.22 back on the site.

Anyways - the Blofeld is most definitely a long term keeper for me. Great stuff.
Makes me full of wonder when I consider what the Quantum will be like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
About - Bigglesworth

this is very nice.

Looks promising.

Synths make me wish I knew something about coding.

Last edited by felis; 14th February 2018 at 06:40 PM..
Old 14th February 2018
  #8
Deleted User
Guest
I was one of those dumb enough to install the then current 1.24 OS onto 2 of my 4 Blofelds. It would totally knacker the 1st encoder under the display after a random time, and you could not set parameters.

It was non critical though as I quickly changed back to OS1.22 after I realized the
errors of my ways.



Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post

I just read something on the Waldorf forum about the OS. They're working on figuring
out what all the complaints are on the latest one, and have put os1.22 back on
Old 14th February 2018
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
gjvti's Avatar
 

Check Mystery Island - Waldorf bloX v1.0.0 (Today they offer 30% off via cupon)
Mystery Islands Music | Official Online Store
Old 14th February 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
I don't use any editor either... it's easy to program from the front panel...
Old 14th February 2018
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
gjvti's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I don't use any editor either... it's easy to program from the front panel...
... yes, unless you want to go multimode...
Old 14th February 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
... yes, unless you want to go multimode...
I gave up on multimode... not enough polyphony...
Old 14th February 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I don't use any editor either... it's easy to program from the front panel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
... yes, unless you want to go multimode...

Or unless you've got flaky knobs that jump or skip the settings around.
The desktop Blofeld I just got doesn't do that.
I've got my fingers crossed that it stays that way for a good long while.

It's easy to edit from the front panel,
but also good to know there are editors for it if needed.
Old 15th February 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I gave up on multimode... not enough polyphony...
I use multimode all the time to stack two or three patches. I treat that as one 3- to 6-voice synth. Made a multi last night that made me gasp out loud the first time I played it. I never gasp out loud. I love multimode.

And thanks to this thread I now have a librarian to organize all my patches. I can edit all day from the front panel, but with Patch Morpher I can easily dial up 10 remarkable sounds in 30 seconds so I'm going to run out of banks soon. And Patch Morpher is easy on the encoders.

Can't wait till Waldorf straightens out the encoder problems for good. I need a Blokey and maybe one more desktop. I won't reach @ zaphod Betamax territory for a while, but I'm getting there.
Old 15th February 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
I use multimode all the time to stack two or three patches. I treat that as one 3- to 6-voice synth. Made a multi last night that made me gasp out loud the first time I played it. I never gasp out loud. I love multimode.....




Old 15th February 2018
  #16
SRT
Lives for gear
+1 on Patch base, for IPad users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
Who is happy with Monstrumfeld? Criticisms?
I find the patch loading saving/system of Monstrumfeld to be cumbersome to use, but I suspect this is more of an issue with the CTRLR base then then a creators design flaw. My Blofeld lags when attempting to scroll through patches (via software or hardware) which doesn't help. To be fair, most software editors aren't all that great at this sort of thing because they are typically 3rd party products and/or not designed in sync with the hardware.

IMO the Virus TI software editor is still the Holy Grail of editors, it's my reference point of what an editor should be.
Old 15th February 2018
  #17
Deleted User
Guest
Over 99% of the time, I only run my Blofelds monotimbral.
Why? By the time I set unisono to 3, use up all 4 modifiers
and usually all 16 slots, the TOTAL polyphony can sit between 3-6 notes.

At one time I had polychained a keybed and a module, but I mothballed this
setup to make room for analogues. These synths are still around, just in storage.

I am up to H085 on programming and started with my first Blofeld in August 2013,
but I always program from the front panel.

Hopefully by my 55th birthday in June 2018, I will have finished programming all
1024 patches. Maybe I can reward myself with a Quantum (lol)
Old 15th February 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
....
Hopefully by my 55th birthday in June 2018, I will have finished programming all
1024 patches. Maybe I can reward myself with a Quantum (lol)
That sounds like a good plan.
Old 15th February 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
BTW, I recently sold my Shadow XT. But before I let go of it, I sampled all of the standard patches. Since Edisyn has both XT and Blofeld editors, I was thinking I might try building an XT->Blofeld patch translator (obviously some XT filters and the wave envelope can't be translated, but the rest should be pretty easy).
Old 16th February 2018
  #20
It appears Mystery Islands bloX is now available.

Waldorf bloX AudioUnit & VST Librarian Editor Plug-in - Mystery Islands Music

Tried posting images, but apparently overnight, google image has removed the “view original image” function. So any picture requires you to go to the website now, and if there isn’t a direct link, then too bad. Thanks google.
Old 16th February 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
BTW, I recently sold my Shadow XT. But before I let go of it, I sampled all of the standard patches. Since Edisyn has both XT and Blofeld editors, I was thinking I might try building an XT->Blofeld patch translator (obviously some XT filters and the wave envelope can't be translated, but the rest should be pretty easy).
I would be extremely (up to the point of paying) interested in a MW 2/XT preset patchset for Blofeld.

My band used to own both MW 2 and XT. And especially songs made by our singer used a lot of presets, only slightly tweaked. These machines are gone since forever, but recently i was asked to remake those old songs. In my midifiles i have notes what patches used but alas i dont have the sounds and copy from listening is kinda painful.

So if someone knows a source how to get my Blofeld approximating these XT preset patches i would be extremly happy.

Sample sets or whatever. Everything that makes the task of reprogramming these sounds easier and faster.
Old 16th February 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
It appears Mystery Islands bloX is now available.

Waldorf bloX AudioUnit & VST Librarian Editor Plug-in - Mystery Islands Music

Tried posting images, but apparently overnight, google image has removed the “view original image” function. So any picture requires you to go to the website now, and if there isn’t a direct link, then too bad. Thanks google.
60 Dollars
Old 16th February 2018
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
I would be extremely (up to the point of paying) interested in a MW 2/XT preset patchset for Blofeld.

My band used to own both MW 2 and XT. And especially songs made by our singer used a lot of presets, only slightly tweaked. These machines are gone since forever, but recently i was asked to remake those old songs. In my midifiles i have notes what patches used but alas i dont have the sounds and copy from listening is kinda painful.

So if someone knows a source how to get my Blofeld approximating these XT preset patches i would be extremly happy.

Sample sets or whatever. Everything that makes the task of reprogramming these sounds easier and faster.
Hey Coorec, I think you should be able to get extremely close to those sounds, though I can imagine after all of that time, finding the right spot on some wavetables is going to be really difficult. I've never owned a MWII or an XT, but not for lack of trying. It just always seemed to not work out with me buying one. I ALWAYS read here that the Blofeld was substandard with wavetable sounds. that the MW and XT just had something, so I dunno? I know the FX on the XT are probably a bit better.

check this out, suitandtieguy did a demo of Blofeld and XT with Blofeld in the left speaker and XT in the right. Is it exact? No. will anyone other than a few snooty dudes around here tell the difference? Absolutely not.


To me, Blofeld is a no brainer for what it costs. Then you add it's VA engine which is underrated IMO, and sampling features.....its a life keeper for me. I actually prefer it's VA and filters to the Virus, not as dark.
Old 16th February 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
....
To me, Blofeld is a no brainer for what it costs. Then you add it's VA engine which is underrated IMO, and sampling features.....its a life keeper for me. I actually prefer it's VA and filters to the Virus, not as dark.
Agreed.

What would put it totally over the top would be if the Blofeld had the fx from the Virus.

The Virus fx pretty much totally take over the sound though.
I had a Clavia G2 that I ran through Virus fx just to see what it would sound like.
It sounded like the Virus.

Probably a better idea would be just to be able to modulate the fx that are already in the Blofeld.

Last edited by felis; 16th February 2018 at 09:01 PM..
Old 17th February 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Probably a better idea would be just to be able to modulate the fx that are already in the Blofeld.
Bingo.

But even without fx modulation, it's still my second-favorite modern synth right behind the V-Synth. Well, at least till I get a Digitone.
Old 18th February 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
I was one of those dumb enough to install the then current 1.24 OS onto 2 of my 4 Blofelds. It would totally knacker the 1st encoder under the display after a random time, and you could not set parameters.

It was non critical though as I quickly changed back to OS1.22 after I realized the
errors of my ways.
Yikes. I just had to install 1.24 to get the License SL to install. Haven’t really had time to program it yet...I could probably roll back to 1.22 without issue I hope. Worst case, I have Patch Base and find it pretty enjoyable for programming the Blofeld.
Old 18th February 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Yikes. I just had to install 1.24 to get the License SL to install. Haven’t really had time to program it yet...I could probably roll back to 1.22 without issue I hope. Worst case, I have Patch Base and find it pretty enjoyable for programming the Blofeld.
I consider to pay the 20 bucks for Patch Base. The demo seems to work fine. I especially like the it works with Ethernet/WLAN Midi sessions.

However, i am little reluctant to rely on clouds as a librarian. Anyone got any experience with it and can report reliability?
Old 18th February 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
No issue using it with Volca FM. You don't need the cloud. There's an option to save your patches to your iPad. Then you can copy patches to your hard drive using iTunes. Easy!
Old 18th February 2018
  #29
Gear Nut
 
Ratplan's Avatar
I use Monstrumfeld and I must agree that for me personally its the very best Vst Editor
Old 19th February 2018
  #30
Gear Nut
 

I made a Logic template for it, but could never find the sysex for saving patches/combis remotely on the Blofeld. So some of these editors have worked it out? Would be interested to know the strings.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump