The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blofeld Editor/Librarian in 2018
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kennedy View Post
I made a Logic template for it, but could never find the sysex for saving patches/combis remotely on the Blofeld. So some of these editors have worked it out? Would be interested to know the strings.

The sysex docs on the site don't work for you?

Blofeld Tools
Old 19th February 2018
Gear Addict
I thought Mystery Islands actually released his. I have a Mystery Islands for Jp8080, which is nice. I have the Monstrumfeld for the Blofeld, and that one is also good. I bought it some time ago
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
The sysex docs on the site don't work for you?

Blofeld Tools
That's still the sysex list not updated since 2008. Maybe these software editors are doing something nifty, 'saving' the sound by dumping it out of the edit buffer and and then sending it back as a patch. Or maybe I've just missed something (the latter is actually way more likely!).
My old Microwave 1 had good old fashioned 'save program' and 'save multi' remote commands, though it was massively sensitive and temperamental about dump speeds.

I made my Logic template almost as something abstract when I needed something to do this time last year and couldn't do music. Ended up selling the Blofeld as the multimode is quite frustrating, and I really wanted to use it multitimbrally. Great synth though, and I really liked the display. Shame it doesn't have sub-oscillators. Waldorf are clever commercially for never having produced one single synth that does everything they're good at.

Sysex on the Blofeld does have a few holes, like changing the display contrast remotely shows numerically on the display that it's doing what it's told...but the actual physical contrast itself stubbornly remains the same. At least that's what happened on mine, but it could've just been a fault on my unit.
The undocumented sysex indexes I found were:
51 0-1 off,on PROG SEND
62 0-1 OFF/ON LOCAL CONTROL
64 0-11 FREE BUTTON
65 0-1 Normal/Inverse PEDAL
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's still the sysex list not updated since 2008. Maybe these software editors are doing something nifty, 'saving' the sound by dumping it out of the edit buffer and and then sending it back as a patch. Or maybe I've just missed something (the latter is actually way more likely!).
What are you trying to do exactly? Single-mode sysex on the Blofeld is pretty complete and well documented.

If you need to do multimode, it's there but undocumented. When I wrote the Blofeld patch editor package in Edisyn, I did a lot of reverse engineering of the Blofeld mutimode sysex, and with some help from GOFTER's code,
I put together some documentation which you can see at the beginning of this file.

I can't help regarding uploading wavetables; that's also undocumented sysex, though others have reverse engineered it.
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by feijai View Post
What are you trying to do exactly? Single-mode sysex on the Blofeld is pretty complete and well documented.
Ah, it was just the simple 'save patch' or 'save multi' commands I could never find/work out how to do in Logic. Logic's a bit of a 3-legged dog anyway with its limitations on MIDI template building.
Like I say, I sold my Blofeld, but thanks for the doc re. your reverse-engineered multi info, really appreciate it - I've saved it in case I give in to the tempation to get another Blofeld, this time a keyboard version. Cheers.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ah, it was just the simple 'save patch' or 'save multi' commands I could never find/work out how to do in Logic. Logic's a bit of a 3-legged dog anyway with its limitations on MIDI template building.
In the Blofeld sysex document you have, look in section 2.12 SNDD. A (single) patch is called a "Sound". I believe you can save it to the current working memory by writing to location 0x7F, 0x00 (the same as multi instrument edit buffer #1 ). Or you can of course save it to any flash location.
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
In the Blofeld sysex document you have, look in section 2.12 SNDD. A (single) patch is called a "Sound". I believe you can save it to the current working memory by writing to location 0x7F, 0x00 (the same as multi instrument edit buffer #1 ). Or you can of course save it to any flash location.
I'd assumed any tweaking of a sound's parameter automatically sends said-tweaked-sound to the buffer. There doesn't seem to be any sysex to remotely allow 'right, I'm happy with the changes I've made to this sound that's currently in the edit buffer, I'm now going to save it to B113' or whatever. Maybe there's some old Microwave sysex that's used for that too.
Sorry if I'm sending us round in circles and you'd already effectively explained how to do this two messages ago! Without a Blofeld anymore it's hypothetical for me at the moment, so I can't check. I think because historically I spent a fair bit of time building my template it's still an itch that needs scratching, hence me chiming in on this thread
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'd assumed any tweaking of a sound's parameter automatically sends said-tweaked-sound to the buffer. There doesn't seem to be any sysex to remotely allow 'right, I'm happy with the changes I've made to this sound that's currently in the edit buffer, I'm now going to save it to B113' or whatever. Maybe there's some old Microwave sysex that's used for that too.
I don't know about the Microwave I but I'd be surprised if it provided that either: the Microwave II/XT sysex does not.

Most sysex designs follow one of two approaches:
  1. You can (1) send a parameter (2) send a patch to current memory (3) send a patch to be written to a permanent location. This is what Waldorf does, and also Kawai, Obeheim, etc.
  2. You can (1) send a parameter (2) send a patch to current memory (3) instruct the synth to copy the patch in current memory to a permanent location. This is what Korg does.

From the perspective of an editor writer, there are advantages of both. You identified the advantage of Method 2. But Method 1 has the distinct advantage that you don't have to send *two* messages, perhaps with a significant pause between them and ACK verification, just to write a patch to permanent memory.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't know about the Microwave I but I'd be surprised if it provided that either: the Microwave II/XT sysex does not.

Most sysex designs follow one of two approaches:
  1. You can (1) send a parameter (2) send a patch to current memory (3) send a patch to be written to a permanent location. This is what Waldorf does, and also Kawai, Obeheim, etc.
  2. You can (1) send a parameter (2) send a patch to current memory (3) instruct the synth to copy the patch in current memory to a permanent location. This is what Korg does.

From the perspective of an editor writer, there are advantages of both. You identified the advantage of Method 2. But Method 1 has the distinct advantage that you don't have to send *two* messages, perhaps with a significant pause between them and ACK verification, just to write a patch to permanent memory.
The Microwave 1 has sysex commands for 'save patch to [val]', 'compare patch', 'revert to original patch' + the same commands for multis.
Old 21st February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk View Post
I thought Mystery Islands actually released his. I have a Mystery Islands for Jp8080, which is nice. I have the Monstrumfeld for the Blofeld, and that one is also good. I bought it some time ago
Yup, its out now. It’s definitely really slick. I’ve spent a couple of hours messing about, and so far everything works. Really like programming tge modulation/modifier matrices and the sequencer on the ‘puter, so much easier. Also, automating ANY parameter inckuding FX, or assigning MIDI LFOs or Env’s is easy. Most importantly, initializing, saving, naming, categorizing, and organizing patches is a breeze.
Old 22nd February 2018
So is anyone else using the Mystery Islands bloX editor/plugin? Let’s talk. I got everything running inside of Logic. Other than a few kinks, everything works, automation is fine. I can’t figure out how to save a patch. I see all of the Blofeld banks, and the virtual banks filled with INIT patches. I found the save function in a drop down menu, but where does the patch go? I save and then it just seems gone. Anybody figure this out?
Old 13th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Try Edisyn. It's free. Tell me if you like it.
Works fine but the colors makes me want tu vomit after 5 minutes. Seriously, idea is great but the graphics makes it impossible to work with...
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthezaur View Post
Works fine but the colors makes me want tu vomit after 5 minutes. Seriously, idea is great but the graphics makes it impossible to work with...
So change the colors. Under the Map menu, there's "Change Color Scheme".
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

I noticed no one mentioned Monstrum's Blofeld editor, so I may as well throw it in the hat:

monstrumFeld | Monstrum Media

I have the Microwave 1 version and it was worth the money especially for the integrated wavetable editor. Unfortunately the Blofeld version lacks the wavetable editor (or sample import/export) which would really make a payed Blofeld editor worthwhile, but at least it's cheaper than the other Monstrum editors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
About - Bigglesworth

this is very nice.
I'm going to have to try this, even though the most exciting feature (wavetable editor) apparently isn't in yet. It sounds very promising. EDIT: Apparently the wavetable editor is available in the older version available on github.

I've been using Softknobs, and overall it works pretty well by itself, but it's troublesome in an environment with multiple midi controllers and applications (at least on Windows). You can basically only use one controller within Softknobs, and it becomes inaccessible to other midi software. However, when Softknobs is controlling the Blofeld, it blocks other applications like Midi-Ox from sending signals to the Blofeld.

I have one controller I use as a master keyboard, and then two Novation Remote Zeros which I use for knob-per-function control, so I really only need a software editor for mod matrix control and other occasional stuff. But basically the only way this works is if I'm constantly closing Softknobs whenever I don't immediately need it, and then opening it minutes later when I do... and it actually takes a long time to load up on my rig!
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
I noticed no one mentioned Monstrum's Blofeld editor, so I may as well throw it in the hat:
fwiw, Monstrum was mentioned on the first page and in post No. 32 as well.

monstrumFeld | Monstrum Media

Quote:
I'm going to have to try this, even though the most exciting feature (wavetable editor) apparently isn't in yet. It sounds very promising. EDIT: Apparently the wavetable editor is available in the older version available on github.
Actually, as of Jan 18, the latest version of Bigglesworth includes the wavetable editor and -- thanksfully! -- fixes the display for those of us with 1360x768 monitors. That kept me from using the older release.

I found out by visiting the FB page. If you 'like' the page, you'll get alerted when a new post comes in. I just liked the page.

I know people hate being on FB but I use it only for music-related stuff. That's how most companies communicate news with owners these days. It's also great for instrument-specific user groups. MUCH higher signal-to-noise ratio than on GS, though the level of expertise is lower. But the amount of opinionated gunk one has to wade through here to find useful information can be a bother.

I'm not saying everybody should be on FB for music stuff. Just pointing out the advantages. Clearly GS has its perks for me too, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Quote:
I have one controller I use as a master keyboard, and then two Novation Remote Zeros which I use for knob-per-function control
Interesting setup. I have an SL49 and a Zero myself, though I don't use them at the same time (limited space). How do the Zeros fit into your workflow?
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Interesting setup. I have an SL49 and a Zero myself, though I don't use them at the same time (limited space). How do the Zeros fit into your workflow?
Basically I use both to create a single knob-per-function interface for each synth I own, since one Novation Remote is not enough to cover all parameters on a more complex synth like the Blofeld, Matrix 1000, Serum, etc. without tabbing through a LOT of pages constantly.

I have occasionally used them to control two simpler synths simultaneously (i.e. MKS-50 and MKS-80) and on my JD-990, each one controls a single of the 4 tones and can tab over to the 3rd or 4th tone.

Space-wise, I use a couple laptop stands to raise them up so my master keyboard fits underneath. It might seem like a bulky setup, but compared to owning a separate knobby keyboard for each synth engine, it saves a ton of space in the long run (I only own modules). My entire works space is built into half of our bedroom closet, and still fits all my clothes (though I had to take the sliding door out to fit my chair).
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
So change the colors. Under the Map menu, there's "Change Color Scheme".
It's worth mentioning that I'll be presenting a paper at a conference in Germany this April on Edisyn's stochastic parameter search tools. To the best of my knowledge, Edisyn has easily the most sophisticated such facilities available in any general-purpose editor. If you want to explore for a sound and you don't know exactly what you're after, but you know a good sound direction when you hear it, Edisyn can help you find it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Excited about this little synth. Always thought it would get lots of support so now I’m a member of the Club.
What’s the best editor for making patches, then use those for layers or 2 separate sound sources?

Also don’t have patience to create waveforms.
I’m struggling just to keep 2 gigs going because the pay is good and there’s 3 dancing girls on little platforms and a house gig.
No stripping but no problem, I see just fine.

So who’s the ultimate waveform King, money is no problem.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsterjim View Post
What’s the best editor for making patches
Bigglesworth

(please make a donation to the developer).

Quote:
Blofeld Soundsets

Among those sound sets, Analog Voltage by GS mod Don Solaris is a popular pick:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsterjim View Post
Excited about this little synth. Always thought it would get lots of support so now I’m a member of the Club.
What’s the best editor for making patches, then use those for layers or 2 separate sound sources?

Also don’t have patience to create waveforms.
I’m struggling just to keep 2 gigs going because the pay is good and there’s 3 dancing girls on little platforms and a house gig.
No stripping but no problem, I see just fine.

Thanks
It's a beauty really, still a really great synth and IMO a future classic to be kept hold of.

As robotunes says
Biggles worth editor is brilliant, really good, give the guy a tip though as it's free and worth every pennyof whatever you pay.

What kinda noises you looking for? See my sig, each sound is one preset, no layering or fx except blofeld. I've got a +200 preset bank of unique sounds, want it to get to 256 before fully unloading to market but.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey Jamie Munro this is Teamster Jim.
Don’t know what happened but an address from years ago had to be used to sign back in. I don’t care.

Actually I make presets myself, but making Wavetables is what I’m hunting for.
I’ve got Prophet VS and Waldorfs on my Solaris and kind of bored with them.
I am listening to your presets and I like them, especially without all the built in FX.

I route 3 x Strymons I automate into my project window for live work, so Blofelds will be disabled.

I don’t want to use the PC but an iPad Pro as my editor, can Bigglesworth do that the same way patch base does?

Bigglesworth seems to do Samples and everything.
I’ll definitely tip, I’m from Nevada, you stiff somebody here you might get urine in your next drink.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search