The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
Bizzare. I wonder how that transpired. Tom himself can't register it for musical instruments but I'm free to slap it on a washing machine. Okay I guess...
There is a different of you cannot use it to everyone can use it.

The point is: In Europe you can release a Synthesizer under the brand Oberheim and Tom or anyone else can sue you for doing so.

On the other hand what you have released is also not protected under the brand name, so it is questionable if you would want to release something under a name that you cannot claim or own and anyone else can say:
Attached Thumbnails
The UB-Xa Synthesizer-4jxpci.jpg  
Quote:
Bizzare. I wonder how that transpired. Tom himself can't register it for musical instruments but I'm free to slap it on a washing machine. Okay I guess...
[I am not a lawyer]

Trademarks fade away if not both used and defended, at least in the US.

This is also why companies have to go after "the little guy" so often, when they are using their trademark. It's not a matter of being "mean", it's necessity to keep the mark.

This is also why getting a trademark can be an expensive proposition. It's not just the cost of filing for and making the case for the mark.

A trademark owner must submit proof of continuous use throughout the time they own it. If they lapse, they lose it.

Gibson transferring the mark back to Tom was mostly about them agreeing not to use it in the future. It otherwise had no value to it at the time, because it was not used. Pretty sure the same was true of Yamaha/Sequential.

Interestingly, if you do a TM search for "Sequential". One of the first ones that pops up, as live, is "Sequential Circuits" owned by someone in Annapolis, Maryland (not far from me):

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...802:tr63vo.2.2

They filed for it this year. Presumably, this is someone trying to make a buck off of Dave Smith, who owns this one:
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...02:tr63vo.2.13

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Korg used David Friend as a consultant, Behringer used David Frederick. Both former Arp employees. Doesn’t really matter though.
Lives for gear
Quote:
"Cork sniffer" basically means to overanalyse something that doesn't matter. People are sniffing over the Prophet 5 Rev 4 for not sounding like a Rev 3; my response to that is "no **** it doesn't sound like a Rev 3, because it's a Rev 4 and not once has anyone said it's a Rev 3 clone". I don't know what these people were expecting, yet here we are with lossless audio comparisons of the two units and even a screenshot of the waveform outputs.
So ... what’s your take on this now?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post
So ... what’s your take on this now?
There's a problem with the filter not opening up all the way (has to do with CC74 last time I checked). I even stated that as such and I'd want it fixed given I actually have one on order myself. I still take umbrage with "it doesn't sound like a Prophet and it doesn't sound vintage". I still think that's complete bollocks. There's opinion and then there's trying to frame it as fact.

My original point still stands though -- the UBXa wont stand a damn chance against the OBXa if people will complain about a new Prophet revision from it's original designer!

Edit: Yup, looks like some extra capacitors were installed on the P5s and P10s that weren't supposed to be there. So it wasn't CC74. I Will gladly eat humble pie and apologise.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallery7 View Post
Korg used David Friend as a consultant, Behringer used David Frederick. Both former Arp employees. Doesn’t really matter though.
david friend made a great sandwich with mayo and cucumber, and he posed in front of the camera. or does he have other tasks, e.g. the final inspection of the devices?
as far as I know, rob keeble was the only one who really did something.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
david friend made a great sandwich with mayo and cucumber, and he posed in front of the camera. or does he have other tasks, e.g. the final inspection of the devices?
David Friend was the designer of the original Arp Odyssey. He was the consultant on the Korg version.
Lives for gear

Quote:
My original point still stands though -- the UBXa wont stand a damn chance against the OBXa if people will complain about a new Prophet revision from it's original designer!
Sure it will—especially if, as a result of the complaints, the original designer admits he made a mistake.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Sure it will—especially if, as a result of the complaints, the original designer admits he made a mistake.
Just edited my post to reflect that. As stated, I will eat humble pie.
Lives for gear

Quote:
David Friend was the designer of the original Arp Odyssey. He was the consultant on the Korg version.
as I said, he made the sandwiches for the staff. or do you have more detailed information?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
as I said, he made the sandwiches for the staff. or do you have more detailed information?
One would hope in had a hand in engineering the circuitry.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just edited my post to reflect that. As stated, I will eat humble pie.
The general sentiment of your point is still accurate. No doubt, there will be some who are so biased against the UB-Xa, they won’t give it a fair shake.

But it should be easy to spot these biases and dismiss them.

For me, the real take-away from the Rev 4 drama is that mistrust of “cork-sniffing” has gone too far. It’s in our best interest to encourage dissent and negative opinions as this is how assent and positive opinions are re-enforced.

Last edited by maisonvague; 4 weeks ago at 01:00 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
The general sentiment of your point is still accurate. No doubt, there will be some who are so biased against the UB-Xa, they won’t give it a fair shake.

But it should be easy to spot these biases and dismiss them.

For me, the real take-away from the Rev 4 drama is that mistrust of “cork-sniffing” has gone too far. It’s in our best interest to encourage dissent and negative opinions as this is how consent and positive opinions are re-enforced.
it only became a drama because yersey couldn't keep a low profile, it could have been discussed in a more humorous way. I don't know if you've read it, but pym from dsi is extremely generous in terms of any damage caused by soldering, etc.
imagine the same thing would have happened at behringer, countless little sheep would have jumped over the cliff.
I hope you understand what I mean, replil wrote big about it recently. he and many others here are fed up with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think you're both right.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fresh Hawt Steamas or a clam bake anyone?

(yikes.. the tenseness.. had to interject a comedic interlude... sorry)
DGL
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wasn't the P5 essentially designed by Dave Rossum of E-MU fame and not Dave Smith, so unless they have got him helping out it's not being done by the original designer!
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
Wasn't the P5 essentially designed by Dave Rossum of E-MU fame and not Dave Smith, so unless they have got him helping out it's not being done by the original designer!
Now you're just being pedantic. It's from one of the original gang, then.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now you're just being pedantic. It's from one of the original gang, then.
and what's the original gang, ronald mcdonald and fishy joe? it would be nice if you could be more specific
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I really hope Behringer will surprise us with an UB-Xa with a PolyAT keyboard!
Then this would be miles more interesting than the new Prophet 5.

best regards
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post

best regards
They've been developing (or have developed) a Poly AT keybed so I don't see why they wouldn't use it here.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post

best regards
+1
But i highly doubt that.
It would cost about 20 more $ to manufacture, so: no way.
Lives for gear

Quote:
They've been developing (or have developed) a Poly AT keybed so I don't see why they wouldn't use it here.
They will put it in their CS-80 clone.
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would add to the manufacturing cost and thus the price to end users ("bottoms up!") and it's not really true to the original?

I think it would be great, but you'd have to redo the OS to integrate the polyAT.

Personally, I'd like them to redesign it to be an MPE ready module, but that would delay it again, and the redesign would piss off the majority of potential customers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

(I realize this is super way way too optimistic) but ...What if the OS was already changed to accommodate the Poly AT keybed.. (remember those pics of the fatar keybed back in April(month could be wrong)) I'm actually just waiting until the behringer CS-80. Water is wet, Sky is blue, CS-80 is my keyboard of new.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post
(I realize this is super way way too optimistic) but ...What if the OS was already changed to accommodate the Poly AT keybed.. (remember those pics of the fatar keybed back in April(month could be wrong)) I'm actually just waiting until the behringer CS-80. Water is wet, Sky is blue, CS-80 is my keyboard of new.
If they added Poly After touch it would take this synth to a whole new level. They would be crazy not to if they have the available technology (even if it ups the price, which will still be cheaper than the nonsense prices Sequential charge for their gear).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Clean View Post
If they added Poly After touch it would take this synth to a whole new level. They would be crazy not to if they have the available technology (even if it ups the price, which will still be cheaper than the nonsense prices Sequential charge for their gear).
They are plugging the UBXa as a 'flagship', so I'd agree that this should be maxed out with all the new tech they have developed, including polyAT.

Or maybe a compromise could be UBXa and UBXXa released at the same time (one with 8 voices and monoAT, the other with 16 voices and polyAT).

Polybrute and Hydrasynth have shown that there's a new level of expressive control becoming a norm in polysynth design, particularly at the high end (which in my view should be >$1500).
Lives for gear

Poly AT might only make sense if the expressiveness of the UB-XA is substantially raised by more modulations. Or do you guys think, the original Ob-XA would benefit a lot from PolyAT?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
Poly AT might only make sense if the expressiveness of the UB-XA is substantially raised by more modulations. Or do you guys think, the original Ob-XA would benefit a lot from PolyAT?
From what we know so far, UBXa will have a mod matrix accessed via LCD menu and some additional mod options accessed via PAGE-2 (shift) functions on the panel.

Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Or maybe a compromise could be UBXa and UBXXa released at the same time (one with 8 voices and monoAT, the other with 16 voices and polyAT).
It’s nice to dream.
Gear Nut

The hints are there. Behringer stated, that they have a plattform for future polys. That would include the CS-80, which did have Poly AT. Therefore I think it is very likely, that the UBXA will have it also.

I do believe that the development team also did some analog magic like the the guys over at the company in SF.
📝 Reply