The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Well some might say the main reason there is a Prophet 5 rev4 is Behringer.
Dave said in an interview that someone told him "make everyone happy and release a Prophet 5. Do it before Uli does."
Show replies
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post
Dave said in an interview that someone told him "make everyone happy and release a Prophet 5. Do it before Uli does."
yes, according MaisonVague, Pablo told him
to do it.
Show replies
Old 17th October 2020
This talk of different markets gets me confused. Like there were synth stores A and B lol.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Including Dave Smith himself (although perhaps not "the main" reason).

In a video interview posted in the P-5/P-10 thread, Dave says a guy named Pablo in Berlin persuaded him to release a new Prophet-5 “before Uli did”.

So it’s now officially on the record that yes, in a manner, Behringer is indirectly responsible for the new Prophets which is indeed ironical.
And in the end it doesn't matter that there is no competition for the other prophet anyway.

which amazes me more, why dave does something old after constantly mentioning that he doesn't like reissues. should that now be the lesson from the prophet x?

behringer triggered a lot more, I couldn't imagine elektron without cool audio. this also affects many other manufacturers.

behringer is certainly not innocent of the 2600smt either, but korg himself started the hype back then.

if anyone ever forced someone else to build something new, then it was korg with the polysix. a direct competitor of the juno6, but with memory below 2k. roland was then forced to build the juno 60 ..
hmm how similar the story is.

incidentally, the japanese mini prophet now has 8 voices and real env chips from alfa. also interesting
Show replies
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Including Dave Smith himself (although perhaps not "the main" reason).

In a video interview posted in the P-5/P-10 thread, Dave says a guy named Pablo in Berlin persuaded him to release a new Prophet-5 “before Uli did”.

So it’s now officially on the record that yes, in a manner, Behringer is indirectly responsible for the new Prophets which is indeed ironical.
Just shows how complacent the synth manufacturers had become before Behringer, Arturia and other fresh companies increased the pressure.

We see many very good products now, after an age of many half baked devices.

Show replies
Old 19th October 2020
Gear Nut
I'd use many adjectives to describe Behringer. "Fresh" defo isn't one of them! Haha
Show replies
Old 19th October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

I'd say fresh pretty well characterises it, since before they did the Model D, they had no synths in their line up at all. Can't get fresher than this.
Show replies
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
I'd say fresh pretty well characterises it, since before they did the Model D, they had no synths in their line up at all. Can't get fresher than this.
Didn't the Deepmind 12 keys version come before the Model D? - I'm pretty sure it did.
Show replies
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeGee View Post
Didn't the Deepmind 12 keys version come before the Model D? - I'm pretty sure it did.
That doesn't change the argument.
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
This talk of different markets gets me confused. Like there were synth stores A and B lol.
Market segments generally divided by price.

Similar with autos, guitars, houses, more.

Pete
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
tok
Lives for gear

Soooooo...when can we expect this thing and for how much again?
Show replies
Old 23rd October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Uli said hopefully the end of the year. I think we might get an announcement and some demos then.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Uli said hopefully the end of the year. I think we might get an announcement and some demos then.
Which synth thread was this again?
Show replies
Gear Maniac

The large Facebook thread ... if you follow that ...
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Well, guess what, an update!

"We got some really good news. The firmware for the UB-Xa is now completed and we're moving closer to delivering this beautiful synth. However, to be clear, we're still many months away from delivery.
Our next step is to build 50 pre-production samples and start an extensive test program with internal and external beta testers to ensure the synth will have undergone the most stringent quality testing.

If you like to participate in the testing of the UB-Xa, come join the beta tester team. However, please note that there a critical requirements associated with this program.

1.) You do own an original Oberheim OB-Xa in order to do extensive comparisons.
2.) You have deep technical understanding and knowledge related to professional testing procedures and sound analysis
3.) You do own a video channel and you're willing to create several comparison videos.
4.) You're willing to create great sound patches with your name attached.

If you meet these criteria, please contact us at [email protected] and provide us with detailed information related to the above 4 points. We will select max 20 beta testers and reward them with a free unit in return for their extensive efforts.

We're super excited about this flagship synth. We know that it has taken much time, but we're very proud of our Manchester engineering team who have done an amazing job by creating a complete new technology platform, which will allow us to develop the next analog poly-synths in record time.

We're just warming up:-)"
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020
Gear Addict
I lol’ed hard when I read “many months away”.

I wish my girlfriend had as much patience with me as I do with Behringer.
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020
Lives for gear

some news. i think things are moving forward, soon 80s experts will be able to decant :P
of course there will be differences to your calibrated vst plugin. however, it is clear that there will be no loose screws.

Show replies
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Happy to see I’m not the only vintage OB-Xa owner still following this thread.

Once the UB-Xa is released, it will be our responsibility to tell others it sounds nothing like the original.

It’s a thankless job. But someone’s got to do it. Right?
"We got some really good news. The firmware for the UB-Xa is now completed and we're moving closer to delivering this beautiful synth. However, to be clear, we're still many months away from delivery.
Our next step is to build 50 pre-production samples and start an extensive test program with internal and external beta testers to ensure the synth will have undergone the most stringent quality testing.

If you like to participate in the testing of the UB-Xa, come join the beta tester team. However, please note that there a critical requirements associated with this program.

2.) You have deep technical understanding and knowledge related to professional testing procedures and sound analysis
3.) You do own a video channel and you're willing to create several comparison videos.

If you meet these criteria, please contact us at [email protected] and provide us with detailed information related to the above 4 points. We will select max 20 beta testers and reward them with a free unit in return for their extensive efforts."

Show replies
Lives for gear

Based on the tester requirements they seem very keen on getting this one 100% accurate.
Show replies
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
some news. i think things are moving forward, soon 80s experts will be able to decant :P
of course there will be differences to your calibrated vst plugin. however, it is clear that there will be no loose screws.
Only gotta wait until 2022
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSilky View Post
Only gotta wait until 2022
yaw

seriously, the synth could be there faster than you can spend money
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020
Lives for gear

interesting that the current picture no longer has a display, food for the big spring reverb discussion :P

Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequadix View Post

If you meet these criteria, please contact us at [email protected] and provide us with detailed information related to the above 4 points. We will select max 20 beta testers and reward them with a free unit in return for their extensive efforts."

It’s tempting. But I’m uncomfortable with point 3.

I would not want to do anything related to marketing or promotion.

Just straight-up no strings attached beta testing.

I’ve got the expertise. And the gear. Just no interest in marketing or promotion.

This would be true for any manufacturer btw, not just Behringer.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Based on the tester requirements they seem very keen on getting this one 100% accurate.

It says a lot when all the beta testers (20) have to have an OB-Xa, I think they are confident they have nailed it.
Show replies
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’ve got the expertise. And the gear. Just no interest in marketing or promotion.

Maybe you could negotiate. I'm sure they'd be interested in your expertise.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe you could negotiate. I'm sure they'd be interested in your expertise.
You know, I was just thinking that. I'd be willing to sacrifice the complimentary UB-Xa if they'd let me opt out of any promotional stuff.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:

You should definitely get in touch with them voicing your concern, I'm sure you can both come to an agreement. You are one of those people who they definitely would like input from .
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

actually someone on FB asked why would the owners of an original would be interested to keep the UBXa. It's a valid question, but they rightly said that beta-testers should be compensated in some way for their efforts.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
actually someone on FB asked why would the owners of an original would be interested to keep the UBXa. It's a valid question, but they rightly said that beta-testers should be compensated in some way for their efforts.
Well for starters it's a lot more portable for carting around plus when the old one is on it's way out you don't need to panic. This new one has some updates too so why not, There's plenty of people out there not ashamed to have a Behringer synth in his/her collection.
Show replies
Old 24th October 2020
Lives for gear

Only took three years too.
Show replies
📝 Reply