The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Believing that the Earth is flat is not an "opinion". By saying so, one might think that believing the Earth is a globe is just another "opinion", the two "opinions" being on the same level, so to speak, so everyone is entitled to embrace one or the other.
This is flawed reasoning. No offence.
Saying the Earth is flat is not an opinion, it is a lie.
Then you didn't get the sarcasm. Obviously the Earth is not flat. I noted that such an opinion "borders on hallucination". That's called an "analogy". Perhaps if one is not an native English speaker, this is not clear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
I know at least 3 people in my country (Spain) that just buy gear and resell everything the next day at a greater price, even without testing the instrument. To my understanding, that's an artificial price inflation.

They make big money buy just speculating with instruments.
If this is true, it would indicate that they are aware of the sources for such instruments well ahead of those who eventually buy them. Not paying attention is not an indication that those who are paying attention are taking advantage of them.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
some people think the Earth is flat. They are entitled to their opinion as well
I am not sure it is a language barrier problem here, or that I did not get your sarcasm. My comment was not about accusing you of thinking the Earth is flat, you stated you obviously don't. It was a general comment on how a "lie" cannot be an "opinion", not quite a comment about your own opinions or about this very synthesizer discussion. What I meant was: A lie does not even deserve to be discussed, while an opinion does.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I will make one more post on this (off)topic and this will be the last thing I say on this...

Ppl who only see modern market will not agree with me because to them arificial manipulations of the past don't exist cuz they never suspected them as they are just living in the present and see nothing beyond that...

Now...why I say that there were activities that seemed ike manipulation in early years of Ebay...?
I knew a japanese american guy who did a big research on this subject (and shared it with me + I saw a lot of stuff by myself when I watched large number of suspicious transactions by groups of same sellers back then). That researcher was a synth seller himself and he was worried that global synth market is being changed
by manipulation done by some groups of sellers who
buy up gear cheap and then target Ebay's (then small) synth market for inflating the prices on constant basis.
Why they could affect it in such big way back then?...
because Ebay was very much smaller then (2003 or 2004 or 2005 even)...it was very small space for high end analog synths and sellers who sold them were limited in number...that allowed some groups of sellers to dominate that small market and raise the prices beyond any reason by acting in a same exact way..

When Ebay grew and started to be the main
source for synthesizers, prices that were aready
inflated remained in the present...it was only possible because of targeting of a small group of customers by small group of sellers in a then small Ebay high end analog synth marketplace. I saw many transactions on Ebay then that confirm this theory...

Today's situation is a consequence of the past, it is not an indication that many more ppl buy jupiter 8 than they did in 2003...
If 3 guys in Spain inflate prices in 2019, it doesn't affect the global market, because internet market for
vintage synths is very big today...You can only change it big if you do it in a small pond which then became a sea, but the changes you made in a small pond still remain in that large sea...
and I once again say, that it's my opinion, I have a right to express it and ppl are free to agree or disagree. But let's do it in a civil way, please, and not offend others who don't like what we say...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If this is true, it would indicate that they are aware of the sources for such instruments well ahead of those who eventually buy them. Not paying attention is not an indication that those who are paying attention are taking advantage of them.
Paying attention to what? The sources are well-known and it doesn’t mean they only find bargains or very rare instruments. They just buy everything, raise the price and sell again. If they buy it at an expensive price, they sell it at a more expensive price the next day and that’s all. One of these guys does more than 100 transactions per month and has an online shop.

You can call this practice as you want, but to me it’s a sort of speculation that implies an artificial inflation.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I am not sure it is a language barrier problem here, or that I did not get your sarcasm. My comment was not about accusing you of thinking the Earth is flat, you stated you obviously don't. It was a general comment on how a "lie" cannot be an "opinion", not quite a comment about your own opinions or about this very synthesizer discussion. What I meant was: A lie does not even deserve to be discussed, while an opinion does.
Someone can in fact have an opinion counter to fact. A lie is when someone says something they know to be untrue.

Yes, there is a (small) language barrier.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by puta_locura View Post
... Ppl who only see modern market will not agree with me because to them arificial manipulations of the past don't exist cuz they never suspected them as they are just living in the present and see nothing beyond that...
That's an attempt to simply characterize those who disagree with you, rather than coming up with a substantive case or argument.

Quote:
I knew a japanese american guy who did a big research on this subject ...
"I knew a guy" is not an argument for anything one way or the other.

Quote:
...that it's my opinion, I have a right to express it and ppl are free to agree or disagree. But let's do it in a civil way, please, and not offend others who don't like what we say...
You are certainly entitled to your behavior. However it's hypocritical for you to call for civility when almost everything you've posted on the subject includes something insulting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Paying attention to what? The sources are well-known and it doesn’t mean they only find bargains or very rare instruments. They just buy everything, raise the price and sell again. ...
What was stopping someone else from buying them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What was stopping someone else from buying them?
No one said some else couldn't buy them. The argument is about what those speculators do and how it inflates prices. Talking about what other potential buyers do (or do not) is a different topic (you're just moving the goalposts).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

To everyone, I am sorry.....I once listed a Yamaha PS-20 I got for $25 for sale for $250 as a joke and it sold....that caused everyone else to raise the price and it still is way overpriced now.
Attached Thumbnails
The UB-Xa Synthesizer-screenshot_2019-09-03-23-39-15.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
To everyone, I am sorry.....I once listed a Yamaha PS-20 I got for $25 for sale for $250 as a joke and it sold....that caused everyone else to raise the price and it still is way overpriced now.
I have to tell you, 1 guy can't change the price for everyone else not then and not today...You needed special conditions and a lot of ppl to do it then...
it doesn't make a difference if anyone does it today, since the scale has changed..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one said some else couldn't buy them. The argument is about what those speculators do and how it inflates prices. Talking about what other potential buyers do (or do not) is a different topic (you're just moving the goalposts).
No goalposts are being moved. The nature of a market is dynamic. This includes the behaviors of all participants in the market system. Your analysis starts with the notion that there is some imaginary static range of prices, absent market forces. It is you who have failed to identify the very nature of the issue we are discussing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Clearly you were in cahoots with Victoria Legrand.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Some people think they can see Smith's "Invisible Hand"* with it's fingers on the scale.

*"The unobservable market force that helps the demand and supply of goods in a free market to reach equilibrium automatically..."

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
Some people think they can see Smith's "Invisible Hand"* with it's fingers on the scale.

*"The unobservable market force that helps the demand and supply of goods in a free market to reach equilibrium automatically..."

Too bad he was either a liar or simply deluded.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
Some others took my joke seriously.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Clearly you were in cahoots with Victoria Legrand.
She's been the flowerpot guy all along, I knew it!
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

So, as pointed out elsewhere, would the announcement by Uli that GliGli joined Behringer have any bearing on the development of this UBXa?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
So, as pointed out elsewhere, would the announcement by Uli that GliGli joined Behringer have any bearing on the development of this UBXa?
Brophet 5?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
How'd I miss it?! Amazing!

Playing my GliGli-fied Prophtet 600 as we speak. Big, big fan. Cured my lust for a Prophet 5 by making my P600 sound just as good or better. Truly a gifted mind.
Old 1 week ago
The original Jupiter 8 sold for $5295 in 1981
Adjusted for inflation...

$15,414.59

"Adjusted for inflation, $5,295.00 in 1981 is equal to $15,414.59 in 2019.
Annual inflation over this period was 2.85%."

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/

$15,414.59 in 2019

They are currently priced at between $12,572-$19,500 (10x of them) on Reverb.com

Last edited by TahFoxKing; 1 week ago at 05:17 AM.. Reason: Provided Reference
Old 1 week ago
The OB-Xa was $4595 in 1980

$15,051.05

"Adjusted for inflation, $4,595.00 in 1980 is equal to $15,051.05 in 2019.
Annual inflation over this period was 3.09%."

They are currently priced at between $4850-$6500 (6x of them), with 1x extra (7 total) being $9899 with midi/ serviced/ and restoration on Reverb.com
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahFoxKing View Post
The original Jupiter 8 sold for $5295 in 1981

$15,414.59

"Adjusted for inflation, $5,295.00 in 1981 is equal to $15,414.59 in 2019.
Annual inflation over this period was 2.85%."

$15,414.59 in 2019

They are currently priced at between $12,572-$19,500 (10x of them) on Reverb.com
really makes the system-8 seem like a steal @$1500 in today's money, including Jupiter, Juno, JX, and its own synth engine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

$15,051.05
In 2019 mass production of something as simple as OB-Xa would cost less than 1000$ per unit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I had forgotten about this thread for many months. Then, the other day I saw the youtube video of the UB-Xa prototype from 4 months ago. Looks like they're making progress. So, I guess no desktop module?

I wonder if they would consider a very compact module with no controls that's completely programmed and controlled by MIDI or a notebook/tablet.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

$15,051.05

"Adjusted for inflation, $4,595.00 in 1980 is equal to $15,051.05 in 2019.
Annual inflation over this period was 3.09%."

They are currently priced at between $4850-$6500 (6x of them), with 1x extra (7 total) being $9899 with midi/ serviced/ and restoration on Reverb.com
$15,051.05, Jesus...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Will the UB-Xa come in desktop module and have poly After Touch?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
In 2019 mass production of something as simple as OB-Xa would cost less than 1000$ per unit.
i always find these inflation comparisons pretty pointless, as if justifying ramping up prices for the gullible/hysterical. and if something acquires 'collector' status, then the original price is irrelevant anyway.

would be a shame if UB did not make the desk/rack version.
(with a rotating connection panel, so it could all face rear)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindin View Post
Will the UB-Xa come in desktop module and have poly After Touch?
My two cents:

Desktop version: likely
Poly AT: unlikely
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search