The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The UB-Xa Synthesizer
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
I'm afraid the answer is yes, some of us absolutely love that ****

To be honest, I like it on some things as well--ambient in particular.

Huge, cavernous reverb spaces from alien planets. That sort of thing.
Old 25th July 2019
3bc
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Well I wasn't really talking about that. But also those guys had some restraint and knew when to pile it on for effect.

If you think I was waging war on digital reverb I'm sorry.
No i get you. I’m a reverb guy tho. I think people forget HOW MUCH reverb was all over the classic synth tracks in the 80’s, well more than you will find in today’s productions. Home synthesists/hobbyists (me included) may drown things from time to time, but that i would reserve only for really ambient stuff. In terms of modern day synth pop, look at like M83’s Hurry Up album as a good example of heavy handed reverb that i personally love. And TBH, I think the FX in the deepmind are actually pretty good. Maybe not as good as the 224 and 140 UAD reverbs I have in my toolbox, but definitely better IMO than most prosumer boss type stomp boxes. The Deepmind chorus is definitely better IMO than my chorus plugins.

I think it’s pretty easy to rag on these things but for what it is, i think they’re pretty great. Crazy affordable, crazy flexible, 90% or more of the synth sound of the Juno and maybe 90% of the sound of nice outboard FX. I’m not sure how many “pros” are scoring movies or putting out EDM/pop/alt/etc. using a deepmind, let alone the deepmind’s onboard FX. Not saying you couldn’t, just that the sacrilegious bad juju following you around for the rest of your life would be enough to spend the extra money on a Juno or whatever else.
Old 25th July 2019
Gear Addict
There is a point of no return in terms of the enhancement Reverb can add to a mix. In my experience, reverb is best used to simulate a sound being played in a large room that has a bit of reverberation, rather than a sound played in a sound proof room with absorbent material. A little touch of reverb adds life to a normally flat sound.

What I don't like is cheesy reverb. If adding FX to a synth jacks up the cost that might position a synth in a higher price range than the desired price range of said product, it might be wise to skip it.

My choice for FX is an Eventide rack mounted unit that I could afford. Not everyone can afford an Eventide H9000, but an Eventide eclipse 4v is within reach with planning and saving. Once you get your hands on a Eventide, cheaper imitations sound cheesy in comparison.

Mike T.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Also, I assume he meant cheap sounding digital reverbs, not all digital reverbs.

I don't think I've met any producers who reject all forms of digital reverb except in the classical and jazz world and even there it gets used more often than one might think.
For example, I want the Strymon BigSky more than any other pedal. It is digital, but done right.
Old 25th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
What I don't like is cheesy reverb. If adding FX to a synth jacks up the cost that might position a synth in a higher price range than the desired price range of said product, it might be wise to skip it.
They're about to release a circuit-cloned Odyssey replica with a 3 octave full sized keyboard, colored LED mod, and high quality effects for 399. I don't think we need to worry about keys or effects adding a significant amount to the price of Behringer stuff.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

My thing is they add to the cost, and they usually suck. Let’s face it anyone who has more than one synth probably already has effects that are better anyway
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post

Secondly, I dislike Behringer’s effects. I think the effects on the DeepMind sound tinny and crappy. That engine would not add any value to the UB-Xa.
I don't have a DeepMind, but I'm a proud owner of a X18 digital mixer and am very happy with how my synths sound through the X18's built-in effects.

I especially love the Quantec QRS simulation.
Old 25th July 2019
Here for the gear

irrelevant but need it

I am new to gearslutz and this off topic and a desperate attempt. Can someone please tell me how I can start a new thread? I just cant find that option?
Old 25th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
They're about to release a circuit-cloned Odyssey replica with a 3 octave full sized keyboard, colored LED mod, and high quality effects for 399. I don't think we need to worry about keys or effects adding a significant amount to the price of Behringer stuff.
There's only one Behringer that is selling equipment at those prices. The best example for me is the Prophet Rev2. I had a chance to play and listen to one a guy I know that bought one recently. The reverb was cheesy. $1500? I think not.

Mike T.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Two, if they really wanted to make this synth amazing they would put in dual filters the lp cem and svf Sem. It’d be legendary. Who cares about digital cheese after that?
Old 25th July 2019
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonyJ View Post
I am new to gearslutz and this off topic and a desperate attempt. Can someone please tell me how I can start a new thread? I just cant find that option?
go to the topic page (Electronic Music Instruments...) and click on new thread.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
Two, if they really wanted to make this synth amazing they would put in dual filters the lp cem and svf Sem. It’d be legendary. Who cares about digital cheese after that?
+1
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 - UB-X/Xa hybrid super-clone!
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
+1 - UB-X/Xa hybrid super-clone!
Only problem is that if it is there really you should be able to use both filters together and they should be configurable in series or parrallel which, would also mean it should also have an active mixer (can be modulated) and an additional ADSR.
Also, is there any reason not to have the additional 3320 filter modes (including AP please)?

There should also be an option to double the voices (add-in card) so that you have 8 voice polyphony in layered mode.

I guess it is asking a lot but surely it would silence the people crying foul at Behringer for "cloning" vintage synths (after almost everyone else) and not doing anything interesting / new.
Old 25th July 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
My thing is they add to the cost
We are not talking about Moog or DSI here, but about staying at home for one evening instead of having dinner for two in a restaurant.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Sequential Pro-2 does this (single pair of filters, 4-note paraphonic). It’s overpriced, but an incredible synth.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
Only problem is that if it is there really you should be able to use both filters together and they should be configurable in series or parrallel which, would also mean it should also have an active mixer (can be modulated) and an additional ADSR.
Also, is there any reason not to have the additional 3320 filter modes (including AP please)?

There should also be an option to double the voices (add-in card) so that you have 8 voice polyphony in layered mode.

I guess it is asking a lot but surely it would silence the people crying foul at Behringer for "cloning" vintage synths (after almost everyone else) and not doing anything interesting / new.
Nothing will ever silence the haters. Like the rising and setting of the sun, they persist.
Old 25th July 2019
Gear Addict

I love the idea of the dual filters too, and by combining that with deeper modulation possibilities, they could easily surpass the OB-6. But it's probably more likely that a design like that will materialize down the road in a whole new synth rather than the UB-Xa seeing major design revisions.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Great! The ody,101,d and 340 are on the block. Hopefully we can get some extra grey matter going to the xa
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear
First (in my estimated order of appearance):
RD-8
Crave
Pro-1
and maybe RD-9
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycokay View Post
We are not talking about Moog or DSI here, but about staying at home for one evening instead of having dinner for two in a restaurant.
What if the food is just as good at home, sometimes even better?
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Maniac

I wonder what the perceived cost would be to have a processor in the synth with a lot of slack? Like putting a TB Hard drive in a 286 and only being able to access 32mb*. I think that would ultimately annoy me.

*not approved for human consumption
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
What if the food is just as good at home, sometimes even better?
Even better. Then you have leftover money for an effects section that you maybe not need (but would bring joy to others) - AND had a really nice meal.

Win-Win-Win
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
I love the idea of the dual filters too, and by combining that with deeper modulation possibilities, they could easily surpass the OB-6. But it's probably more likely that a design like that will materialize down the road in a whole new synth rather than the UB-Xa seeing major design revisions.
I'm just worried that at the current rate of progress, I'll be dead before I see the UB-XXa Plus available for sale..

I'd really like Behringer to release a basic Xa clone AND a deluxe XXa Plus at the same time to give buyers a choice. Perhaps the Xa could be upgraded.

OR, make the basic Xa as a module, and release the XXa as a keyboard!

Then we'd have the Xa clone for the Jump Appreciation Society, but also a more advanced replacement for OBX/OBXA/Matrix 12 available on the market.

Old 26th July 2019
Deleted 41eb90e
I like to have a keybed for every synth, too, but I also love mono and duophonic synths as much as poly synths. I wish Behringer would give us also a choice to buy a D, Neutron, Pro-1, Cat, 800 DV (haha) etc with keybed. Whether I buy a 3 octave KeyStep of Arturia or give Behringer the money for added keys...
It also looks visually much better, if module and keyboard are of one piece.
Old 26th July 2019
Deleted 41eb90e
Yep. My Korg MS-20 Mini has small keys, and I don't like it. And so I never bought a Keystep, because of the mini keys. I have to use my Native Instruments Complete Kontrol S61 MK 2 for my modules. I have always been hoping, that someone would build a Keystep-like thing with keys for adult hands, if I am allowed to be sarcastic
Todays men aren't able to carry stuff weighting more than a powder tin? And why do they want devices in children-size?
Old 26th July 2019
Deleted 41eb90e
This is the reason I especially hate Acid 'music' and 303 stuff. Everything sounds like quak, quak, quak. In my mind the best and most creatful music was made in the early 80s, especially in the industrial and experimental sector. Lo-Fi but extremely interesting.
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkulte Gestalt View Post
Yep. My Korg MS-20 Mini has small keys, and I don't like it. And so I never bought a Keystep, because of the mini keys. I have to use my Native Instruments Complete Kontrol S61 MK 2 for my modules. I have always been hoping, that someone would build a Keystep-like thing with keys for adult hands, if I am allowed to be sarcastic
Todays men aren't able to carry stuff weighting more than a powder tin? And why do they want devices in children-size?
A man who has a big synth is making up for his small organ
Old 26th July 2019
Deleted 41eb90e
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
A man who has a big synth is making up for his small organ
The so prejudiced claims, rather has the problem on his side. I am 1.90 m tall and would get claustrophobic in a small car. Not to mention safety. Not everyone puts on a show, but rather follows pragmatic reasons.
Should I change my life now, so that somebody like you does not get any complexes?
Anyway, these generalizing and undifferentiated projections are silly. That may apply to some people. But much more enlightening is the question of why you have an affinity to the claim. That tells a lot about you.
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry, english sense of humour.
It was after all a joke, an innuendo and a play on words as an organ is a keyboard instrument. No offence was meant to anybody.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search