The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The UB-Xa Synthesizer Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Ballpark price similar to Deepmind? Will there be a keyboard version too?
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
where is it then?
in cyberspace it will never leave
Old 8th January 2018
Here for the gear

Great news, i will be following this closely. since the Deepmind Behringer have my trust (and money again) hope they can keep up the quality in the new synthlines to come. Anyhow, i'm ready for them and looking forward using them
Old 8th January 2018
Deleted User
Uli,

We've known about the likelihood of Behringer producing an OB-Xa for close to a year now - great to see it come to fruition.

One thing I might suggest is to take a "yes, and" approach to the nearly infinite feature requests you'll receive here and elsewhere, and you might want to clarify if the goal is, as you say, to offer an authentic OB-Xa clone and be content with this as your first synth using the new CoolAudio 3320/3340 chips at the heart, then great.

Are you sticking to the dual 3320 (1 HP/1 LP) design in the original OB-Xa, or have you realized this can be implemented with a single 3320 and made appropriate circuit compensations?

Last edited by dluther; 8th January 2018 at 07:19 PM..
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Very nice. I’m not surprised, Uli is doing exactly what he told us. Though I feel it this is at the expense of unique and original synths though, but there are allways downsides either way.

I hope to see a simmons SDS-V clone one day, a polyphonic minimoog flagship, and also a knobby FM synth.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
The horizontal blue lines on the Dave Smith OB-6 keyboard made the front panel harder to read, that's why they removed them on the desktop version, I wouldn't repeat the same mistake.
I agree they made it harder to read things, but they're so pretty on the keyboard version, I actually wish the Desktop (awaiting delivery of one today!!) had them too.
Old 8th January 2018
I'd be in for the raffle, but the UB-Xa is not much interest to me for purchase since I have an OB-8. Would sure like to do a comparison though. We can assume the UB-Xa will have Cooladuio 3340 and 3320, but what about the envelopes? Hardware or software 3310?

I'm waiting to hear about a Behringer 2600. I am also quite interested in the Vocoder and Juno chorus pedal.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Please send it to me to do the Presets
Old 8th January 2018
Looks to be a great project. I would have preferred the UBX instead but that is just a matter of flavor really. The OB-Xa was more popular and sold more (I think) but there was something more juicy about that OBX that I can’t find in any of the other great machines from Tom Oberheim.

I dont know anything about the real circumstances of the transfer of the Oberheim company to Gibson back in the day but I would expect that Tom did receive some value from the sale. To be truthful, there aren’t many like Dave Smith and the person who gave Dave the Sequential Circuits name back. Dave helped Tom keep the dream alive on the OB6 and that was nice. To expect Uli Behringer to play the same is a bit wishful and frankly unrealistic. I am glad to see the clone or approximate copy of the synth return in some form regardless. It’s a great design.
Old 8th January 2018
Here for the gear
WOW.

Where do I sign up for the raffle?

UB - Uli Behringer
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Head

I am very excited about this and will buy one immediately.

The only suggestions I have are: Don't cut corners. Don't ever settle for "good enough". Consider making a rack-mount module version?
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I'd suggest putting the parameter legends UNDER the knobs, as Dave Smith did with the OB-6 module. Makes it much easier to see what you're doing without having to look behind the knobs.

Old 8th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
I'd suggest putting the parameter legends UNDER the knobs, as Dave Smith did with the OB-6 module. Makes it much easier to see what you're doing without having to look behind the knobs.
Great suggestion.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
I have set the goal for Behringer to bring back some of the loved analog synth jewels from the past.

Please allow me to share some thoughts with you and apologies if this is a longer thread.
Uli
Apologies accepeted

It could have been have longer, I would have still read it

Great idea for the UB-Xa, but I'm waiting for the Model D that I bought and the VCX3

X
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye9 View Post

Great suggestion.
It was my one complaint with the OB-6 keyboard.
(I received one as soon as it was released and Dave signed it for me.)

I mentioned it in the DSI forum and then the module came out with the text under the parameters so maybe it was my suggestion that made it so.
Old 8th January 2018
Here for the gear

Wonderful News!

Hello Uli!

Fantastic news! Just getting better and better.
Your goal to revive many of the old vintage synth´s are great news for many of us nerds. Thank you!

Also great that you follow the true Analog path and don´t use any virtual technology. Very excited to see what will come out from your factory in the future.

Best Regards

Pontus A
Sweden

Quote:
Dear all,

As many of you know, synths have ...............snip..............some free units among you as a token of appreciation.

May the fun begin☺

Uli

Last edited by Reptil; 9th January 2018 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: quote shortened
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanallen View Post
I agree they made it harder to read things, but they're so pretty on the keyboard version, I actually wish the Desktop (awaiting delivery of one today!!) had them too.
Yeah but I suspect many that will interested in this vintage recreation are* vintage themselves. Make that font large and those outputs loud

* Or will be by the time this comes out, bwahaha
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I've been trying to buy an OBXa in good condition for over a year now and I've actually been coming here hoping for this news for a while. My request is a simple one and echoes a request above - if you're making a keyboard version, please make it 5 octave and, for a remake, FX would be good. Thanks.

Edit - at least 8 note poly, I would very, very happily sacrifice any FX for a machine that could usefully stack a couple of timbres, so 12 - 16 would be groundbreaking
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict

Awesome! This is great for newcomers to the obxa and for owners as well. A true clone helps preserve the sound for another generation. ,
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
The horizontal blue lines on the Dave Smith OB-6 keyboard made the front panel harder to read, that's why they removed them on the desktop version, I wouldn't repeat the same mistake.
Literally my eyes hurt from looking at red and blue GUI elements on a black background.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder thought, since this is a side-project for the most experienced team what is said team main project(s)? More synths or regular Midas?
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Very excited to start hearing some demos!
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Can't wait to get one and play this

Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

I am really tired of companies front loading the hype for cheap chinese knockoffs.
Can you please make a product and properly vet it before you waste everyones time and brain space hyping it?

This currently looks no better than all the amateur musicians in my town who announce 'big things coming soon' with no content or follow through.

this is just attention whoring. this is not advertizing. because there is no PRODUCT.
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! View Post

this is just attention whoring. this is not advertizing. because there is no PRODUCT.
It's highly effective Marketing actually, even you took the time to post
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear all,

As many of you know, synths have been .......snip......... some free units among you as a token of appreciation.

May the fun begin☺

Uli
Diva sounds better says Urs and 90%of GZ, Urs also said VST have much better resolution on the knobs, like 10 000 times on encoders, Diva can do the best realistic "JUMP" can UBxyz that? Urs also said analog electronics are "extremely simple" you and Urs has to have to sort this issues out?!

But i think your move to give free UBxa to everyone is a great and generous gesture, and should be honored and as i always say,Uli for president.

Last edited by Reptil; 9th January 2018 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: quote shortened
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Literally my eyes hurt from looking at red and blue GUI elements on a black background.
Yes the recreation doesn't have to be THAT physically faithful it foregoes 30+ years of UX knowledge...
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
I have been having a very very miserable time of late and this news has brought a real smile to my face!! Thanks uli, and I'm buying one
Old 8th January 2018
Deleted b6e9904
Any idea when it’ll be out, roughly? So I know when to start saving up!
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear
I'll definitely make some rack space for this.. - I personally appreciate (based on the product concept leaks) the idea to stick to standard rack and eurorack formats, it means we can buy more synths but there are also people who stick to keyboard versions, so 2 versions would be ideal..

The rack version from the concept looks the best format.. preserving full controls. However I would suggest if there is space to recess the ports at the back (or angle them) to allow something to be racked directly above without having 1U wasted with sprouts of wires.

You could also potentially make a 1U expander with minimal/no controls to add polyphony.

I definitely love the sound of the OB-Xa.. regarding Shear Electronics and their Relic-6 - that is a clone of the OB-X circuitry instead.. news has kind of dried up about this project, but if you wanted to reach out to the designer this would be an easy way to get both UB-Xa and UB-X projects underway He'd probably be a valuable asset on the Behringer synth team anyway..

One day I hope to see a "PS-80" project announced in a similar way trying to be as close to the original CS-80 circuitry as possible, and recreating any IG ICs that are needed for that (rather than just cloning the Deckard's Dream modern circuit)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search