The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The UB-Xa Synthesizer Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
I don't know if you're older (like me) but some of these young guys were raised inside the box and don't know how to really form a relationship with an instrument and get to know it and all of its quirks. I teach music and was at a conference maybe ten years ago or so and saw a brilliant performance by a group using only i-pads. But then I got to thinking that these same kids are probably on their phones in all their free time and then they get together and jam with their... i-pads? Is that all they will know musically in life is touch screens with no feedback from, or resonance with, an instrument. At least with this UB-Xa the young guys who buy it will have to learn those paddles or some of the old quirky OB knobs. And they'll have five octaves to play with (my hope). In my general music classes the kids only get about 2 weeks a school year for computer music. The rest is acoustic instruments. I love that tag quote on one of the guys here about the bongos making a counterpoint to the bass line. That sounds like my classroom. Can it all be done on computer? Yeah, but what are they missing in the process.
Sadly I have to use an iPad a lot of the time. I'm glad they have come so far for making music but it's a play thing at the end of the day much like a Boutique or Volca.

Nice that you're a music teacher! I used to teach a few days a week then that school dropped music as a subject...

I have my aMusA, not sure what the equivalent is in the USA? I'd love to teach as a full time gig some day, but the education system in oz is headed for the toilet.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head

Would be nice to see synth manufacturers pair up with guitair pedal makers to design integrated onboard synth effects that are part of the sound design circuit flow, my gearlust always goes into overdrive whenever i look at pedal catalogues...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Guitar FX pedals are similar to wall-wart PSUs: they hog extra space, need extra cables, are often fugly, cannot really be organized well.
Well, on the plus side one gets a bit more flexibility...
Still don't understand their popularity. Is it their hands-on dials?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC8364R7 View Post
Guitar FX pedals are similar to wall-wart PSUs: they hog extra space, need extra cables, are often fugly, cannot really be organized well.
Well, on the plus side one gets a bit more flexibility...
Still don't understand their popularity. Is it their hands-on dials?
I love pedals.
Don't care about organization.
Don't use software....so i need hardware effects
They are fun
Hands on is a plus.
They are little collectible things.
Easy to make
Always new ones around
A fun hobby
Bridging the gap between keyboard and guitar players
Ect ect
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
I teach music...
I didn't realize you were a music teacher, Mr Knoch. Good for you!

I totally agree about the value of playing traditional instruments. Even when playing synthesizers, I miss the physical sensation of the vibrations from the hammers striking the strings on a piano which travel up through the fingers and into the arms. It's a pleasing sensation (which sounds kinda weird, I know, but hey, pianists are kinda weird ).

Becoming attuned to this sensation is the key to "good tone" in piano playing--a somewhat mysterious concept since theoretically, anyone should be able to produce the same tone from a piano simply by striking a key. But any back-to-back performance by different pianists on the same instrument can demonstrate how remarkably different the tone can be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

I totally agree about the value of playing traditional instruments. Even when playing synthesizers, I miss the physical sensation of the vibrations from the hammers striking the strings on a piano which travel up through the fingers and into the arms. It's a pleasing sensation (which sounds kinda weird, I know, but hey, pianists are kinda weird ).

Becoming attuned to this sensation is the key to "good tone" in piano playing--a somewhat mysterious concept since theoretically, anyone should be able to produce the same tone from a piano simply by striking a key. But any back-to-back performance by different pianists on the same instrument can demonstrate how remarkably different the tone can be.
I had a Becker Brothers Upright piano in my basement band practice room, so I know what you're talking about. Being able to FEEL the hammers strike the strings and absorb some of the vibrations is one of the things that make playing a piano great.

I moved out of the homestead and have a place of my own where I live now, and don't have an acoustic piano in my music room. I do have a Rhodes Suitcase 73 piano and I enjoy the physical nature of a mechanical instrument that is touch sensitive and passes on the feeling of the hammers hitting the tines and sounding off. I find that playing that instrument is good practice and enjoyable to this day. I have some nice Rhodes sounds on my Motif ES8 but the action if different on that instrument. However, I can adjust the travel on the keys and set the resistance level in order to get better practice exercise to strengthen my muscles. Playing my Rhodes is good practice before playing a gig. It makes playing my ES8 easy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
UB-Xa is coming alive!

Today we've started to build the very first prototype - what an amazing moment. Over the next few days we will assemble the complete unit and of course share pics with you.

Isn't it a beautiful synth?

Uli
Not sure I like the very "blocky" design - how the top panel sits so squarely and looks so chunky over the keyboard area. Not very smooth from an ID perspective. Are there still plans for a desktop? Last thing I need is another keyboard synth in my small space.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikt156 View Post
Being able to FEEL the hammers strike the strings and absorb some of the vibrations is one of the things that make playing a piano great.
That is exactly why I like playing my Yamaha P200 with headphones and the internal speakers on. It literally feels much more like playing an acoustic that way and is far more enjoyable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The Yamaha P200 is a great instrument. I never bought one myself but I have played them. Solid instrument that will last for decades. I never owned a Yamaha piece of equipment that I didn't get more than my money's worth out of buying it. I still have my P2200 power amp and a P400 Mixer that are both from the seventies. They still work fine. Amazing.

Cheers!

After shoveling snow this morning, its time for a BEER break!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula View Post

Digital multi-effects did not appear on synthesizers until the D-50 was introduced in 1987.
Well... the Poly 800 II had a nice digital echo/chorus/flanger, same than DW8000 and DSS-1 (this one had 2 digital FX units).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
Well... the Poly 800 II had a nice digital echo/chorus/flanger, same than DW8000 and DSS-1 (this one had 2 digital FX units).
I hadn’t forgotten those. I have a Poly-800 II and a DW8000. Love them both. But I wouldn’t call a DDL with modulation “digital multi-effects”. (Maybe I’m splitting hairs). From around the same period, I think also the Ensoniq EPS or one of its variants had some DSP effects going on.

LOVE the Poly-800 II. With the delay and the improved envelopes it’s a real sleeper.
Old 4 weeks ago
If this sounds as good as it looks it may just become my master synth / keyboard assuming it has local off as well. What a great time to be a synth geek.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I happened upon this very accurate tutorial.

Since the UB-Xa won’t be ready for another year, there is plenty of time for prospective buyers to learn the correct way to play “Jump”.

It would be a crying shame if Behringer nailed the Oberheim sound, but all the inevitable YouTube demos of “my first encounter with UB-Xa” had the song played “wrong”.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Very Cool! Thanks for Posting JUMP. The KB parts give us a good example that music doesn't have to be "complicated" to sound good. Jump is "musical" but of course some "real" KB players threw stones at Van Halen for coming up with such a simple song, even though they sure sold a LOT of records with that tune. The Oberheim is a great sounding synth. I sure hope "Someone" comes out with a clone that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune. Here's hoping it materializes before the undertaker gets me.

Cheers!

Snowy weekend in the NE US. Some places north of here got a foot and a half of the white stuff! Welcome to winter in the North East US.

Mike T.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very Cool! Thanks for Posting JUMP. The KB parts give us a good example that music doesn't have to be "complicated" to sound good. Jump is "musical" but of course some "real" KB players threw stones at Van Halen for coming up with such a simple song, even though they sure sold a LOT of records with that tune. The Oberheim is a great sounding synth. I sure hope "Someone" comes out with a clone that sounds good and doesn't cost a fortune. Here's hoping it materializes before the undertaker gets me.

Cheers!

Snowy weekend in the NE US. Some places north of here got a foot and a half of the white stuff! Welcome to winter in the North East US.

Mike T.
I can't remember the last time I saw snow here in Atlanta. It's like a unicorn.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
After the initial invention of analog synths, we found the short comings of those instruments not as musical as we wanted, and companies moved into digital synths to solve our complaints. Of course pure digital synths were often dead and colorless, so many of us asked for the best of both worlds in order to make music. Hybrid synths that use multiple resources to create pleasing to our ear music has been my desire and many companies are creating new instruments that can satisfy the techie and the musicians that just wants to play music.

Cheers!

Man, that's a good point. I remember playing with a keyboardist* who got the (then-new) Ensoniq Mirage, selling his Prophet 600 to help fund it. He may have had a DX7 as well (I remember there being two keyboards, just didn't notice what the other one was). All those sparkling digital sounds seemed like a new frontier -- I remember him being particularly keen on the Mirage's sampling capabilities ... quickly replaced by an awareness that the "factory" samples were superior.

Nowadays pure analog is all the rage, and there is indeed something to be said for fat liquid sounds. I'm not sure if there was ever a better time to be getting into synths than right now.

*That band was called Opafire, if anyone remembers them these days
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post

Would be if it didn't have these horrible blue stripes of dizzyness...
Uli copied the colors, stripes and fonts perfectly from the synth he is cloning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
To keep the price tight it’s better to avoid effects and invest into build quality.
Adding a bevy of sumptuous effects on the Deepmind did not effect its price or build quality at all though...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Davis View Post
What if the builder is incorporating digital effects into the preset to create the sound patch ?

That’s what I’m worrying about....that behringer does what DSI did to the prophet 6.

If behringer has a effect function I hope they don’t use it like the p6 did.
If you don’t program your own sounds and rely solely on presets I can see how it would be annoying to have to turn the effects off, assuming you don’t like how they sound. Otherwise I don’t understand the downside. There’s one button to turn effects off, which makes it easy to hear the raw tone in a demo situation, and the P6 maintains an analog signal path even when effects are on. From the P6 manual:

Quote:
While the effects themselves are digital, the main signal path of the Prophet-6 is analog, with the effects generated in a separate audio chain, converted to analog, then added to the main signal path using the mix knob. The on/off switch enables and disables both Effect A and Effect B, using a true bypass, ensuring a pure analog signal path.
I believe SEND mode on the DeepMind is the same in that it doesn’t alter the analog signal. The difference on that synth is that it also has an INSERT mode, which does convert the entire signal to digital, so you end up with some patches going through a/d/a conversion and some not. That bit of extra complexity could be annoying for people who never want their analog signal digitized inside the synth.

Having said all that, I don’t think effects are a particularly good fit for a clone like the UB-Xa since it goes against the goal of the product. But if Behringer did want to add effects I think the P6 is a good model of how to do it without taking anything away from the core sound and with minimum inconvenience for players who don’t want built-in effects, for whatever reason.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtershmit View Post
I didn't care for the effects on the Deepmind. The chorus was especially lacking.
I would have preferred a real analog Juno chorus on the DM, but Starsky has provided a stunning demo comparison of the Deepmind chorus and Juno 106 chorus....it sounds spectacularly close. Watch the video below and listen for yourself.

YouTube

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by k e y View Post
I would have preferred a real analog Juno chorus on the DM, but Starsky has provided a stunning demo comparison of the Deepmind chorus and Juno 106 chorus....it sounds spectacularly close. Watch the video below and listen for yourself.

YouTube

Oh believe me my friend, I watched that video many times. I had my deepmind and a 106 below it at the same time. It just didn’t do it for me. No doubt that It can’ get close in certain instances, but it wasn’t as immediately gratifying as the 106.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL Music View Post
I happened upon this very accurate tutorial.

Since the UB-Xa won’t be ready for another year, there is plenty of time for prospective buyers to learn the correct way to play “Jump”.

It would be a crying shame if Behringer nailed the Oberheim sound, but all the inevitable YouTube demos of “my first encounter with UB-Xa” had the song played “wrong”.
Thanks for posting that, always interesting to see how others approach the song. My main issue is how to end it with the band since it fades out on the record. Not too keen with the way we end it now.

We also play Subdivisions live, so I'm hoping the UB-Xa will be my new bi-timbral analog controller on tier 2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by k e y View Post

YouTube

As I said about the Boog... "Too close to matter."

Thats how I see the Deepmind now....stupid I overlooked it for so long.

The difference is the chorus...but now that you can get it as a pedal (soon) even that won't matter.

I would love a Juno 6 clone. Just add midi.
(Juno 6 is my favorite Juno)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post

Same w violin, where the sonic vibrations travel through the shoulder bone and chin, you hear 50% from within your body. It's like being part of a tuning fork.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

One final feature request: The ability to detune each individual voice (oscillator). This is a feature found on the OB-8. I would love to see it on this OB-XA remake. It may be on the OB-XA... so correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was only a feature on the OB-8.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Relevant:
Attached Thumbnails
The UB-Xa Synthesizer-b0a07644-5b80-4467-be20-b61adf1cda29.jpeg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are they fast-tracking this? Sure feels like it. I see UB-Xas under our trees this year
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Same w didgeridoo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophonic View Post
Same w violin, where the sonic vibrations travel through the shoulder bone and chin, you hear 50% from within your body. It's like being part of a tuning fork.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have never had 'time' eith a real piano or drums only electonic keyboards and edrums. I am feeling that I have missed out now. Perhaps one day I will feel the real thing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Relevant:
If that's the whole board... then maybe the UB-Xa is the secret other thing they're going to have to show at their event.
It seems like they were able to pack 8 voices into that board with no voice cards. I think that might be the whole freaking synth we're looking at.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search