The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Backup patches from DX7 MK1 to computer
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Backup patches from DX7 MK1 to computer

This is apparently un-google-able because of the millions of people asking how to put patches ONTO the DX7. Tried reading the manual but my mind is melting from reading so many unhelpful Google results. I'm losing it.

I've got the SysEx Librarian, it's waiting for the SysEx message, what's the secret DX7 key combo to dump all the patches, or whatever I gotta do. thanks
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

For anyone else looking in the future; though mine are coming through corrupted, assuming it's my MIDI interface.

On the DX7 - Function/Space > 8/Feedback > click through to 'SYS INFO' > YES to make it available > now clicking on preset numbers spits out SysEx if the Librarian is listening.
Old 3rd January 2018
yeah it took me a while to find this information as well, it was really annoying. This is for the original DX7 not the later versions.

DX7 Transmit to MAC/PC

Press “SPACE”
Press “8” until “SYS INFO UNAVAIL”
Press “+1” “SYS INFO AVAIL”
Press “8” show “MIDI TRANSMIT”
Press “+1”

ETA Ah see someone else already posted.. good.
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Addict

You can also get the free Dexed plugin and use that to transfer patches between your hardware DX7 and your computer.

Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Didn't realise DEXED did import/export from the DX7 too, works great, haven't figured out how to dump the whole 32 patches in one, but individually works fine.

Seems like the corruption was from the Snoize librarian not the interface.

Also, DEXED sounds pretty close!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
In case it helps others - I had real problems sending from hardware DX7 to Dexed through an iConnect MIDI4, it would just not receive any sysex data, although sysex librarian seemed to get it fine. Eventually I tried with the MIDI port on my MOTU interface instead and it worked!

Comparing the sysex data from the iConnect and from the MOTU in sysex librarian shows that an all patch dump is two bytes shorter from the iConnect, the last two bytes before the closing F7 are missing, which means it fails with Dexed as it is incomplete. So it seems the interface can make all the difference.

Not yet worked out if there is a workaround for the iConnect. This is on a Mac by the way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone use Dexed to manage the Presets on their TX-7?

I have both, and have the standalone Dexed up and running, making sounds, browsing its presets, but don't see how/where to do things like:

* Dump everything currently on the TX-7 to Dexed (and laptop) just to save those patches for possible later use.

* Then I want to create (or find existing) other patches, and create my own Bank(s) and periodically dump entire "new" banks to the TX-7.

Some help with that process would be great.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Anyone use Dexed to manage the Presets on their TX-7?

I have both, and have the standalone Dexed up and running, making sounds, browsing its presets, but don't see how/where to do things like:

* Dump everything currently on the TX-7 to Dexed (and laptop) just to save those patches for possible later use.

* Then I want to create (or find existing) other patches, and create my own Bank(s) and periodically dump entire "new" banks to the TX-7.

Some help with that process would be great.

Thanks.
I feel like this is going to be the most unhelpful response ever, but I know I did all this with dexed and my tx7 a year or so ago so I know you can make it work! I just don’t remember much about exactly how I did it except I was probably using iConnect midi 2+ with my MacBook to the tx7. I have saved many banks too. There is something weird about it I can’t remember.. I’d posted looking for help on it and then we realized it was impossible. Let me see if I can find it.

—-
Edit: there’s a thread here that may be of help. I remember using this info to get it all to work finally:
How to get Tx7 to accept Sys Ex
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
I feel like this is going to be the most unhelpful response ever, but I know I did all this with dexed and my tx7 a year or so ago so I know you can make it work! I just don’t remember much about exactly how I did it except I was probably using iConnect midi 2+ with my MacBook to the tx7. I have saved many banks too. There is something weird about it I can’t remember.. I’d posted looking for help on it and then we realized it was impossible. Let me see if I can find it.

—-
Edit: there’s a thread here that may be of help. I remember using this info to get it all to work finally:
How to get Tx7 to accept Sys Ex
You're awesome, thanks for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search