The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
January 2018 New Gear Thread
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Addict

January 2018 New Gear Thread

Just picked these up this morning. Not a bad way to start 2018.

Happy New Gear!

Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Addict

almost died dragging this bugger to home.
one of the best 1000$ i've ever spent
Attached Thumbnails
January 2018 New Gear Thread-img_20180102_225835.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Literally on New Years day woke up and ordered

1 x Antelope audio Discrete 8 interface
1 x TC Electronics Clarity M
1 x Roland System 1M
1 x New desk
1 x set of Zaor speak stands

Lovely start to the New Year
Old 2nd January 2018
I will not be in this thread
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
Looks pretty mint!
Old 3rd January 2018
I sure hope 2018 brings me a new synth!
Old 3rd January 2018
Deleted User
Picked up 2 more dbx compressors, a 266xs and 266xl.
Just pop em' in the channel insert, once I find a use for them.
The other 266xs compresses the Volca Kick and the 'Tribe snare and HH.

At 54 years old, I discover dynamics processing (besides what I do
programming it in synths)
Old 3rd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Picked up 2 more dbx compressors, a 266xs and 266xl.
Just pop em' in the channel insert, once I find a use for them.
The other 266xs compresses the Volca Kick and the 'Tribe snare and HH.

At 54 years old, I discover dynamics processing (besides what I do
programming it in synths)
Dynamics can be part of the synthesis process and can impart different slopes to the envelopes on a synth. Also nice for evening out the levels when using deep velocity modulation of the filters.

You may want to pick up a cheap Alesis Microlimiter too. Great for drums and synths. Lots of character too!
Old 3rd January 2018
Check it out, a late xmas present arrived today.
A Casio CT-320! I can’t believe how good the high hats sound on it!

January 2018 New Gear Thread-7f3829db-a3c6-44a6-bb71-0adc6e0b5b15.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
January 2018 New Gear Thread-7f3829db-a3c6-44a6-bb71-0adc6e0b5b15.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Addict

Believe it or not, I just bought my first ever Apple product last Friday - a used iPad Air 2 w/ 128gb hard drive. I wanted a new iPad Pro with 256gb, but I didn't have $800. This second-hand Air 2 was $220 and looks like new (except for my grimy fingerprints all over the screen.)

I updated to IOS 11 and then loaded the Sunrizer software synth. It's great! Today I loaded Cubasis, so I've got a learning curve ahead of me. I just figured out how to create midi tracks. I tried to record, but it didn't work. So I'll keep reading, watching demo vids, and plugging along. I've been a Cakewalk / Sonar user since the early 90s, so I guess jumping ship was inevitable.

Today I bought the oddly-named Apple Camera Connector with the additional Lightning port for simultaneous charging and USB connecting. I plan to use my Focusrite Scarlet and old Fatar midi keyboard with it (via a powered USB hub.) Crazy that they only put one Lightning port on these. Should be 3.
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Check it out, a late xmas present arrived today.
A Casio CT-320! I can’t believe how good the high hats sound on it!

Cool! That's got a bit of a Jupiter 8 vibe to it!
Old 3rd January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
Cool! That's got a bit of a Jupiter 8 vibe to it!
The Jupiter 8 is doggy poop next to this beast!
Old 3rd January 2018
Deleted User
I got the two 266xs and the 266xl for free, so they were not planned purchases.
I won't be spending any $$$$ untill after NAMM.

Free is always good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Dynamics can be part of the synthesis process and can impart different slopes to the envelopes on a synth. Also nice for evening out the levels when using deep velocity modulation of the filters.

You may want to pick up a cheap Alesis Microlimiter too. Great for drums and synths. Lots of character too!
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

I had originally planned to hold off until NAMM, but spending the holidays putting my studio space in order lit a fire under me. New keys are still going to wait, but in the meantime I’ve ordered...

a) Pair of IsoAcoustics stands for my sub-optimally located monitors
b) MOTU 828es to replace my input-starved FireWire interface
c) Lightly used Tacscam’s PB-32B balanced patchbay to complement my PB-32P unbalanced variant
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Head

Ordered my 1st new toys for 2018 ...

- ALM Busy Circuits : Pamela's NEW Workout

- 4MS : Tapographic Delay

Happy New Gears !
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Looks pretty mint!
apart from two keys (nothing serious, i'll replace them anyway), it really is. lots of dust and aftertouch strip look like the synth was barelly touched.
apparently the guy is going through "only analog hardware now" phase, i was obliged to help him
sounds nice, very glitchy by nature (wavetables react very differently to _aliasing_ and _time quantize_ parameters, unorthodox modifiers, fvcked up filters), ui is not the best, but definitely one or two steps above blo. Feels studier too, weights like 12-13 kilos. All this crap aside, the waldorfian spirit of deep sonic exploration is there, the synth definitely deserves some devotion
Old 3rd January 2018
Picked this up as an impulse buy really, it was too good a deal to resist. Only opened the box today, will play with later. First impressions are that it's bigger and more well built than I thought it probably would be. Need to find a spot for it now -- should have checked dimensions before ordering, but it was an implulse buy...

Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I had originally planned to hold off until NAMM, but spending the holidays putting my studio space in order lit a fire under me. New keys are still going to wait, but in the meantime I’ve ordered...

a) Pair of IsoAcoustics stands for my sub-optimally located monitors
I have two sets of these and feel they are worth every penny. If I ever get a subwoofer I'll try out those pucks that they just released recently.
Old 4th January 2018
Damn these are addictive... these are the last ones to round out my collection. I'm not interested in the rhythm because I have the Tonic, nor am i interested in the Office

I'm having so much fun with these, even though they're quite limited they sound hella good. I can't wait to throw these into some pedals or my Sub37's filter.

I brought the Tonic in to work, and all my coworkers were fascinated and loved it.

Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I will not be in this thread
My new years resolution is to not buy any synth this year, but rather use the ones I have more and get them to know better.

I hope I'll be able to stick to this resolution even after NAMM...
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a hell of a deal for an XTk, especially one in such great condition. Is there a story behind the price? Or was it just a convenient local sale?

Either way, congrats! It's still my favorite digital synth. So much so that I own two of them
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
My new years resolution is to not buy any synth this year, but rather use the ones I have more and get them to know better.

I hope I'll be able to stick to this resolution even after NAMM...
well tbh I lasted 3 days

just need a small pair for playback in my new wee room...at least its not a synth...or a pedal even!
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
That's a hell of a deal for an XTk, especially one in such great condition. Is there a story behind the price? Or was it just a convenient local sale?

Either way, congrats! It's still my favorite digital synth. So much so that I own two of them
Thanks yup, just a regular local sale in Moscow with ridiculuosly low prices: uMXTk, XBase 999, Machinedrum etc. I'm lucky i guess, had no hope of buying even XT. I'm moving to small flat in Moscow, so it will be put in a closet at my home town temporarily till i figure out space availability.
Whoa, two! Why not expansion board?

Anyway, back to topic. Just came from post, USB drive recording ftw
Attached Thumbnails
January 2018 New Gear Thread-img_20180104_182754.jpg  
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
I'm lucky i guess, had no hope of buying even XT. I'm moving to small flat in Moscow, so it will be put in a closet at my home town temporarily till i figure out space availability.
Tell you what, i send you my mint XT and you send me XTk. I can throw in some green bills too. Problem solved.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Tell you what, i send you my mint XT-30 and you send me XTk. Problem solved.
edited it's really that desirable?

anyway, i'd always prefer boards to rack/desktop units if possible. Less clutter, better interaction during patch creation, feels more like a self contained instrument.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's really that desirable, because XTk wasn't produced in huge quantities... Not sure of the actual number, but it might be <1000?
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

My 2nd Reface, love it.

Old 4th January 2018
went to Munich for new yr's eve with friends, and then continued to Nancy in France, to pick this up. excruciatingly long drive both ways, testing my limits. but think it was worth it in the end.

the way prices are going in recent years, i calculated by next year, i probably wouldn't be able to afford it no matter what. and i recently sold my Xpander. so, it was now or never.

January 2018 New Gear Thread-img_8335.jpg

January 2018 New Gear Thread-img_8334.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
January 2018 New Gear Thread-img_8335.jpg   January 2018 New Gear Thread-img_8334.jpg  
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

So you eventually picked it up.

I had 0 doubts it would NOT happen.

Now you should make a quiz: guess the wavetable monster with: Wave 2, Wave 2.3 and MicroWave revA.

Quote:
edited it's really that desirable?

anyway, i'd always prefer boards to rack/desktop units if possible. Less clutter, better interaction during patch creation, feels more like a self contained instrument.
It would sit cool next to a yellow Q. Other than that, i find desktop version a better solution when space is limited.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Fatally just bought Reaktor as well (which I've been meaning to do for years). So much fun sending stuff to external synths and also the Maschine sequencer. I can see when I get my System 1M a twisted expensive journey into modular land happening!!

I really can see the organic appeal of it all.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search