The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
January 2018 New Gear Thread
Old 20th January 2018
  #151
Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post

K3M - beautiful filter of course, but somewhat mellow, polished and nasal sound. I don't know how it behaves in mix with Moog Source, DX7II and Juno 60, but I have feeling it would strugle. Not sure.
I find the K3 fits into mixes rather willingly. In my work I always find this synth has something to offer regardless of the mix. It is most effective to pair it up with complimentary synths. Ones that are brighter, grittier or rougher sounding and then the K3 sort of oozes in like melted butter. In my old band for a very long time all I had was the K3, Casio CZ-1 and a sampler and really loved how the K3 and CZ worked together, a very good match there. When in doubt just use it for bass. The thing has a massive amount of low end power. It's truly impressive hearing its bass from a loud PA system
But the pads are also gorgeous and velvety and can be a warm blanket around other elements in the mix. The leads are also great when you use aftertouch to mod the oscillator mix and the filter cutoff. You can get some really cutting and expressive sounds out of it. If you use some of the more aliased waveforms in the leads having aftertouch opening the filter up enough to start letting some of those extra harmonics through really helps make you lead stand out and cut through the mix.
1
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #152
Gear Addict
 
plasmasynth's Avatar
Was not looking for a Minimoog. But when someone brings back a brand new one to GC and its lower priced than any other listings on Reverb and almost $1000 off the new price, you don't say no.


24
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #153
Lives for gear
 
wagoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
Awesome! Now we both get to be the cool kids on the block with our D Beams

How do you like the V-Synth so far? I was up most of the night playing with it. Once I started tweaking patches I was down the rabit hole for a looong time.

I also had expected to get the XT for space reasons but I’m really glad to have all the controls available on this one. Editing is a pleasure.
It sounds excellent.. loving it so far. I'm still just exploring the presets and meddling with them a bit. It reminds me of how pleasing the Arturia Origin sounds.. lots to explore here

1
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #154
Quote:
Originally Posted by relis View Post
It's been long time since I sold my Microwave 1. I didn't gel with that synth much, having something else in mind regarding hybrid synths. Well, MW1 isn't just that, but I just didn't like it much. Same story with Korg EX8000 later on. Same story with Kawai K3M I played several times.

Long story short, I got Ensoniq ESQ-M. Massive sound, I mean... huge sound. So far so good.

I got MS10 from the same seller, too. Ms20 I'm not fond of, somewhat weak down there. This one is better in basic mono stuff, as well as "ms" stuff, so better package imo.
hola Relis, its been a long time

congratulations, i never see a esq-m in europe, thats a nice find.

your negative experience with microwave intrigues, do you recall if you had rev B or rev A?

i liked my rev b, but ultimately sold it, and then i heard a rev a and it changed my mind and i had to have it. both interesting, but A filter is more up my alley. slightly darker more synthy more full resonance. B has lot more cutting edge up there, and metal. not unlike the big wave in respects to sound of the resonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasynth View Post
This is really interesting to me because I'm almost the complete reverse. I have the MW1 K3M EX8000 and SQ-80. Unless the SQ-80 is no real match for the ESQ-1, then I'd put it slightly lower than the rest.
as a fellow hybrid synth afficionado i salute you


having played ESQ1 so many times in the past, i finally gave in and started looking for one of my own, but since i also wanted a polyaftertouch controller, i figured okay SQ80 is all that and more, with extra waveforms - and i got that instead just recently.

well, i was wrong. they do sound alike but still different enough*. there were three of us on listening session (my bandmate and another friend that has esq as well), and we all noticed. short version: sq80 is brighter and as a plus analog filter can sound juicier in upper ranges of cutoff (liquid). on the minus side, it reveals lot of alisasing and garbage up there, so there is a ever present sheen i wasnt in love with, that its predecessor masks. also, it lacks the trademark forward midrange meat that ESQ1 has.

so i sold the SQ80 within 5 days of getting it. i mean, it did sound very good and unique, but i didn't get "ESQ1 plus" that i wanted out of it, which was more complementary to the hybrids i already had at the time (vs, emax, wave2 and mw rev a).


*i suspect hardware reasons might lay in the difference of component values on the output eq section. schematics were posted on one of the ensoniq threads previously. mod is probably possible. but life's too short.


anyways, love the K3 as well. it can also sound very like wave 2.3 at times, without the wavescan obviously. it shares the same 2044 filter. wonderful chorus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasynth View Post
The MW1 with both the kiwi patch editor and monstrumwave is incredible. Takes me as close to PPG land as you can get in 2u.
i tend to feel the same. its not 1:1 obviously, and most difference is in top end, but overall i dont hear any other machine, hardware or software get as close.
Old 21st January 2018
  #155
Gear Addict
 
plasmasynth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
well, i was wrong. they do sound alike but still different enough*.
Enough of a reason to get a ESQm for me then. I doubt I'll ever find a PPG 2.3 at this point, but I also have a PVS that I love as much as the MW1.
1
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #156
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasynth View Post
Was not looking for a Minimoog. But when someone brings back a brand new one to GC and its lower priced than any other listings on Reverb and almost $1000 off the new price, you don't say no.


Damn can’t even imagine what GC had paid for it, since they aren’t known to be generous on trade ins. $1500 maybe?
Old 21st January 2018
  #157
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasynth View Post
Was not looking for a Minimoog. But when someone brings back a brand new one to GC and its lower priced than any other listings on Reverb and almost $1000 off the new price, you don't say no.


Congrats! It's a timeless instrument.
1
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
It sounds excellent.. loving it so far. I'm still just exploring the presets and meddling with them a bit. It reminds me of how pleasing the Arturia Origin sounds.. lots to explore here

Cool, enjoy it. I’m loving the Time Trip with hold activated, it gives you so many variations on a patch at the tap of a finger.
Old 21st January 2018
  #159
Lives for gear
 
choond's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
Ashamed to admit it, but I just got another Roland boutique (2nd JX-03) and a K-25M keyboard.

Thinking that I'll be dumping all of my boutique stuff now that I've experienced first-hand just how silly the poly-chain setup is when trying to run a hybrid MIDI/USB MIDI/ USB Audio setup with 1/8" cables



...


HAGWE!

Greg
Hi Greg, I feel you; The 1/8" cables and USB midi/audio add a headache when you have a few Boutiques. I have 4 now + a KM25. And I want to set them set up for easy routing through my pedals too. Yay, spaghetti nightmare.

I keep telling myself, don't be lazy, just set it up properly, and neatly. They are deceptively good instruments IMO.

Still trying to work out if I'm springing for a MX-1 or not.
1
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #160
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
Ashamed to admit it, but I just got another Roland boutique (2nd JX-03) and a K-25M keyboard.

Thinking that I'll be dumping all of my boutique stuff now that I've experienced first-hand just how silly the poly-chain setup is when trying to run a hybrid MIDI/USB MIDI/ USB Audio setup with 1/8" cables



...


HAGWE!

Greg
Do you really use the JP-08 much since you have a System-8? Mine's been sitting in the box ever since I got my S8.
1
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #161
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
How do you like the V-Synth so far? I was up most of the night playing with it. Once I started tweaking patches I was down the rabit hole for a looong time.
I keep thinking I need a V-synth, but I can't find decent demos of it for the types of sound I want it for.

Alas there is nowhere I can get a shot of one either!
Old 21st January 2018
  #162
Lives for gear
 
wagoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
I keep thinking I need a V-synth, but I can't find decent demos of it for the types of sound I want it for.

Alas there is nowhere I can get a shot of one either!
Depends what sort of sounds you want it for, but synth4ever posted some new longer demos last month:

2
Share
Old 21st January 2018
  #163
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
I keep thinking I need a V-synth, but I can't find decent demos of it for the types of sound I want it for.

Alas there is nowhere I can get a shot of one either!
What sounds do you want it for?

I read all the stuff posted in here about all the sample mangling it can do but found scarce few examples of this online. But there’s dozens of examples showing off the factory patches
Old 22nd January 2018
  #164
Lives for gear
 
wagoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
What sounds do you want it for?

I read all the stuff posted in here about all the sample mangling it can do but found scarce few examples of this online. But there’s dozens of examples showing off the factory patches
This is the one that sticks in my head regarding sample mangling..
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #165
Lives for gear
 
rasseru's Avatar
Man, they really really need to make a cloud version of the v synth
Old 22nd January 2018
  #166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
This is the one that sticks in my head regarding sample mangling..
Saw that. The last 2 minutes or so are where it gets interesting.

But i can see for myself now and just a cursory perusal so far has been pretty impressive. Need to take some of my own samples next.
Old 22nd January 2018
  #167
Lives for gear
 
relis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
hola Relis, its been a long time

congratulations, i never see a esq-m in europe, thats a nice find.

your negative experience with microwave intrigues, do you recall if you had rev B or rev A?

i liked my rev b, but ultimately sold it, and then i heard a rev a and it changed my mind and i had to have it. both interesting, but A filter is more up my alley. slightly darker more synthy more full resonance. B has lot more cutting edge up there, and metal. not unlike the big wave in respects to sound of the resonance.
Hi

That time, I didn't even know there were two versions of Microwave, so I did't bother checking.

I wouldn't mind having one again, but I'm afraid the prices gone up too much. I don't need it that much.

btw. There are ESQ-1 and K3M for sale locally. If you're interested, PM me (in case you don't know).
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #168
Lives for gear
So...
The Studio Electronics Omega 8 is sold and gone. Surprisingly i don't feel any remorse.
On the other hand, this is one of those time i get to feel the "what could you buy with this $$".

So i decided to focus on enhancing my workflow, and getting new sounds.

First, i got the NI Komplete Kontrol s61 mk2:


Wonderful key action, in comparison to my Modal 002. The NI is a bit heavier and nicer to the touch.
I lost 3 hours yesterday. I have Komplete Ultimate 11, maschine etc - and it's as if KK s61 mk2 "unlocked"
the potential of these instruments. Like a re-birth.

Got a 32" screen instead of my older 21":


A samsung evo 850 1TB ssd:


Upgraded my Cubase pro 8 - to 9.5:


The UVI Falcon:


And all the UVI falcon expansions:


Got the Arturia V collection 6:


Abl3:


Plogue Chipsounds


And Plogue Chipspeech:


Strezov Sampling Balkan Ethnic Orchestra:


Sonuscore "The Orchestra":


Wave Alchemy Evolution:


And Shimmer Shake Strike:



It would take some time to go thru it all, but yeah, it kind of puts things in prespective.
For hardware analog synths - still holding on to my GRP, Vermona and Modal.
10
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #169
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post
What sounds do you want it for?

I read all the stuff posted in here about all the sample mangling it can do but found scarce few examples of this online. But there’s dozens of examples showing off the factory patches
Dark Roland pads!

After typing this, I went back to YouTube and found that legendery Japanese Guy doing his full review of it, and within about 2 mins of the vid starting it was the classic Roland dark pads I was talking about ... so it's pilot error ... I now need one
2
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #170
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Dark Roland pads!

After typing this, I went back to YouTube and found that legendery Japanese Guy doing his full review of it, and within about 2 mins of the vid starting it was the classic Roland dark pads I was talking about ... so it's pilot error ... I now need one

I never know what legendery Japanese Guy is saying but I admire his passion. His demos are always excellent!
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #171
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Picked this bad boy up by hand!

Next step - get it home to Scotland and in a safe place till I can smuggle it in the house....

January 2018 New Gear Thread-f02ac9db-718f-4ce6-887f-66110fc320ea.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
January 2018 New Gear Thread-f02ac9db-718f-4ce6-887f-66110fc320ea.jpg  
3
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #172
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
And yes, I’m on a FURNICULAR RAILWAY
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #173
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Picked this bad boy up by hand!

Next step - get it home to Scotland and in a safe place till I can smuggle it in the house....

January 2018 New Gear Thread-f02ac9db-718f-4ce6-887f-66110fc320ea.jpg
Has to be the JD, and i don't mean Jack Daniel's.
1
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #174
Gear Addict
 
Domitable's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowman9 View Post

I never know what legendery Japanese Guy is saying but I admire his passion. His demos are always excellent!


His videos are all captioned with english subtitles (click the CC button on the bottom) to make it easier to follow along. He's a very skilled player and never criticizes anything he puts his hands on. He just works his magic and makes anything sound incredible.

Quote:
Katsunori UJIIE is a creative director, composer, arranger, and keyboardist. And He has a great career in field of software production, musical education, and producing. As a sound designer, He produced for Yamaha digital equipments like DX, SY, QY, VL, EX, CS, MOTIF, etc and Arturia software synthesizers. Also He visited many countries like Asia, Russia and Europe as a demonstrator
2
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #175
Lives for gear
 
wagoo's Avatar
[some monstrous opening playing]..........hai! Ujiie de gozaimasu!

I can understand Japanese so I always wonder how much could just be understood through all the technical term import words we're familiar with anyway hehe

I got a table hooter - I predict it'll be more exciting than anything Yamaha do at NAMM
5
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #176
Lives for gear
 
GregkoNYC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Do you really use the JP-08 much since you have a System-8? Mine's been sitting in the box ever since I got my S8.
Nope- never.

My hope was that the K-25M would let me pack it around, play it on the couch, out on the terrace, etc. but really the keys are just so small and flimsy it just kind of ruins the experience for me.

I'm pretty sure that I'll end up selling off the whole lot.

I actually do like the JX-03, but it's really easy to get similar sounds out of the System 8, so it's really not that necessary either - it is my favorite boutique however.

Greg
Old 22nd January 2018
  #177
Lives for gear
 
EvilRoy's Avatar
 

Monologue arrived. This thing is a blast!
5
Share
Old 22nd January 2018
  #178
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
Could not resist at the price.
so what's the word on the Pulse 2? how are the paraphonic sounds? Thomann has them for just over 400 euro which seems like a steal!
Old 22nd January 2018
  #179
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
so what's the word on the Pulse 2? how are the paraphonic sounds? Thomann has them for just over 400 euro which seems like a steal!
I haven't had too much time to experiment, but so far i'm in two minds. Monophonically its sounds fantastic, but paraphonically it somehow reminds me of a Poly 800. I need to spend more time with it.
Old 22nd January 2018
  #180
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Has to be the JD, and i don't mean Jack Daniel's.

January 2018 New Gear Thread-c4853be6-0be1-4e87-b2e0-5e705bd0d59f.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
January 2018 New Gear Thread-c4853be6-0be1-4e87-b2e0-5e705bd0d59f.jpg  
7
Share
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump