The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland D-05 if I already have a JDXA?
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Roland D-05 if I already have a JDXA?

Had my eye on the Boutique D-05 and can't fault it for the price and what you get for it.

However, I have a JDXA and am wondering if theres going to be quite an overlap in sound?

I actually don't much care for the original D50 presets, but have heard very nice custom sounds that have been made, particularly in the pad/string dept. Would it compliment the JD or is it just more of the same?
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

i too bought a jdxa to replace a d50. they do share some dna but i couldnt recreate most of my favorite patches on the xa so i have to keep it. there really are some magical sounds in this box. go for it.
Old 28th December 2017
Deleted c74c961
i'd say pretty major overlap with the polished glassy supernatural of the XA, which must sound better anyway (though there is a new 'clean' mode in the D-05)

i was thinking about getting one to compliment my system-8, which i think it would do nicely. but the XA? definite overlap sonically. though as always it isn't just all about the sound but the instrument itself. even then i gather it can be a frustrating instrument, but it does have plenty of presets to inspire you at least...
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post
i'd say pretty major overlap with the polished glassy supernatural of the XA, which must sound better anyway (though there is a new 'clean' mode in the D-05)

i was thinking about getting one to compliment my system-8, which i think it would do nicely. but the XA? definite overlap sonically. though as always it isn't just all about the sound but the instrument itself. even then i gather it can be a frustrating instrument, but it does have plenty of presets to inspire you at least...
This is what I thought might be the case. I think I will try and borrow one and decide then.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear
I'd say it mostly depends on whether or not you care to have those classic D-50 presets and ROM card sounds. if not, probably not worth it.
Old 29th December 2017
Deleted c74c961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I'd say it mostly depends on whether or not you care to have those classic D-50 presets and ROM card sounds. if not, probably not worth it.
i think they are all included as standard?
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I was hoping I could bin most of those and load in custom sounds and make my own with the editor app.

I find the original D50 sounds very stale and dated tbh. I like the D50's slightly corroded fuzzy lo-fi sound otherwise. Fantasia on D50 and Universe on the M1 make me cringe lol

I had a D-550 once and it was loaded with much better sounds than the originals. Screen broke so never really explored it properly.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I was hoping I could bin most of those and load in custom sounds and make my own with the editor app.

I find the original D50 sounds very stale and dated tbh. I like the D50's slightly corroded fuzzy lo-fi sound otherwise. Fantasia on D50 and Universe on the M1 make me cringe lol

I had a D-550 once and it was loaded with much better sounds than the originals. Screen broke so never really explored it properly.
Aww I love those sounds!

There are a lot of user banks on the D-05 so don't be worried about presets. You've got lots of space to create your own (preferably with a sofware editor!!).
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

Just another thought... you could do a 1-year sub to Roland Cloud for about the price of a new D-05 and at the end of the year you'd own the D-50 plug-in outright (which is better for editing than the module anyway), plus you'd have had access to all the other plugs during that year.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

It is all about how badly you want those old specific D-50 sounds. As with any of these old clunkers, some of us get fixated on that precise nostalgic sound. If you just want pretty Roland ROM sounds that are in the same family I bet the JDXA will do nicely.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
It is all about how badly you want those old specific D-50 sounds. As with any of these old clunkers, some of us get fixated on that precise nostalgic sound. If you just want pretty Roland ROM sounds that are in the same family I bet the JDXA will do nicely.
I think if you want those specific sounds then D-05 is not the way to go.. there are subtle differences on comparisons. But maybe that’s not a bad thing.. gives a different flavour to the classics
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

maybe those sound characteristics have to do with the d/a idk. but the d50 sounds i really like are mostly pwm and velocity to pwm (and the 8bit samples to some extend) the xa cant reproduce that stuff and the waves just dont have the same character. a little bitcrusher helps but its not the same. i really dont know how close the d05 is to the original but i will replace my d50 with the 05 eventually because of space reasons
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

You could get a D-550 for space reasons it loses on the lack of all the expansion cards and lack of joystick, though..
Old 27th November 2019
Gear Maniac
Big bump, but it's been a few years; How do others feel about the JDXA against the D50/05. I'm happy with my D05, but would love a digital Roland hardware with keys. The JDXA has been calling my name for so long now, but I already own the D05, JD-Xi and System-8. I'm starting to think that there's just too much overlap to justify getting the XA. Don't see what else it can add to my setup.
Old 27th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Big bump, but it's been a few years; How do others feel about the JDXA against the D50/05. I'm happy with my D05, but would love a digital Roland hardware with keys. The JDXA has been calling my name for so long now, but I already own the D05, JD-Xi and System-8. I'm starting to think that there's just too much overlap to justify getting the XA. Don't see what else it can add to my setup.
Well, I have the D-05 and the JDXA now, and I can tell you they really do not overlap that much. The D-05 has that great 90's glassy low-fi sound. The JD is a modern day Korg Trident, full of layering potential (I guess my love for that kind of instrument attracted me to the XA). Of course the JDXA has the huge SN library full of very 'Roland' waveforms, but after you mangle them and intertwine with the analog side, and the excellent fx section, its a far cry from the D50. Quite a contrast in fact. They actually work very well together. The XA isn't a particularly instant gratification synth. The people who have taken time to learn how it rolls know what a monster it really is and rightfully appreciate it. Still one of my favourite synthesizers ever.

However........you seem to have a lot of Roland kit already, so I would possibly consider another 'flavour' or replace the Xi at least (if its sequencer isn't important to you).
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Well, I have the D-05 and the JDXA now, and I can tell you they really do not overlap that much. The D-05 has that great 90's glassy low-fi sound. The JD is a modern day Korg Trident, full of layering potential (I guess my love for that kind of instrument attracted me to the XA). Of course the JDXA has the huge SN library full of very 'Roland' waveforms, but after you mangle them and intertwine with the analog side, and the excellent fx section, its a far cry from the D50. Quite a contrast in fact. They actually work very well together. The XA isn't a particularly instant gratification synth. The people who have taken time to learn how it rolls know what a monster it really is and rightfully appreciate it. Still one of my favourite synthesizers ever.

However........you seem to have a lot of Roland kit already, so I would possibly consider another 'flavour' or replace the Xi at least (if its sequencer isn't important to you).
This helped me, thank you. A lot of Roland, yes. But you can find Roland synths for very decent $$ in my area, so they tend to end up in my stable pretty often.
Old 11th December 2019
Here for the gear
Just my 2 cents. I considered the System 8 as well as the JDXA for a while. The JDXA seems to be the more complicated but in the end more rewarding/capable synth. The System 8 would give me more hands-on, faster/direct satisfaction. At that time I almost bought the System 8 because of that. However, at the same time a lot of Yamaha MODX reviews appeared and that is just a fantastic synth imho. So I bought a MODX6 and I'm very happy with it. It's a lot of bang for your buck and can do really a lot. The touchscreen is also very nice compared to the lack of that on the aforementioned Rolands. I'd say give it a try if you can. Btw... I bought a second hand D-05 at a later stage, to get those sounds. The MODX can run DX7 patches easily, so you can go full nostalgic too.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

I got the Audiokit D1 app for $5 on release (now $10) on my iPad instead. Sure, it's not hardware, and it's not a direct emulation so they wouldn't get in trouble from Roland, but it's pretty much there. And it was $5, allowing me to put money toward other synths.

https://audiokitpro.com/digitald1/

If a perfectly reasonable emulation exists of a synth, I try to buy it instead of hardware, and then look for uniqueness/no clones/no emulations (at time of purchase) for a hardware synth.
Old 11th December 2019
I have the D50 and the XA...I have nothing to add I just wanted to post something.

Oh yeah I had the D-05 and did not gel with it at all...weird how ergonomics make such a difference as it sounded pretty much the same
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search