The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
korg Arp Odyssey plugin
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Maniac

So guys, how good is this CMT in emulating analogs?
Old 29th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9k View Post
So guys, how good is this CMT in emulating analogs?
It's much closer than Korg's previous offerings. And definitely close enough for the Odyssey VST to feel like a real instrument in itself, with a deep sound that you can explore for hours at a time. It's certainly more authentic sounding than Oddity, especially when you get the rev 1 filter screaming.

It's good enough that I wish they'd update the MS-20 VST with the same tech.

But.... Based on comparisons I've done with YouTube demos of Oddy's it's not as close as ACB or U-He's Repro stuff.
Lives for gear
Any videos or demo's on the arp plugin sound? man I't's like impossible to find a demo anywhere.
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

there should be a number of videos showing the iOS version, which shouldn't be too far off. i think there was one that compared it to the recent hardware reissue.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfc83 View Post
It's much closer than Korg's previous offerings. And definitely close enough for the Odyssey VST to feel like a real instrument in itself, with a deep sound that you can explore for hours at a time. It's certainly more authentic sounding than Oddity, especially when you get the rev 1 filter screaming.

But.... Based on comparisons I've done with YouTube demos of Oddy's it's not as close as ACB or U-He's Repro stuff.
I've read that they will release the older emulations with this new technology too, the old MS20 plugin sounds like, well, a really old emulation, i don't know why so many people say otherwise.
Can't wait to try the new MS20.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9k View Post
I've read that they will release the older emulations with this new technology too, the old MS20 plugin sounds like, well, a really old emulation, i don't know why so many people say otherwise.
Can't wait to try the new MS20.
Any link to where that was stated - Was it from korg?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Any link to where that was stated - Was it from korg?
Yez
CMT | KORG Collection for Mac/Win - SOFTWARE INSTRUMENTS | KORG (USA)

"KORG has implemented CMT (Component Modeling Technology) for the first time in its KORG Legacy Collection Series............."
Old 29th December 2017
Lives for gear

It just says it's implemented it for the first time. Nothing about remaking the MS. ?
Old 29th December 2017
Gear Maniac

"....in is Korg Legacy collection..."
They talk about the "collection", but you're right, they should clarify this point, or i spoke too soon.

"Some features widely requested by users will be added to the KORG Collection in future updates. We plan to support AAX format and refine the user interface on a large-scale among other improvements but until then we hope you love all the new features so far and enjoy making music with the KORG Collection of synthesizers offered by KORG."

They talk about updating the collection, i mean, the first update should be the sound engine which is just dated, we'll see.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Novation SL mkII would be my choice. 24 knobs and sliders, 24 buttons. You can name all the controllers, and the LCD shows you their name and value. Press a button and you have a fresh page of 24 knobs and sliders and 24 buttons waiting for you to name them. Great key bed too.

Good idea, but Korg tried this in 2004 with the MS-20 software and the MS-20ic USB controller. They didn't sell enough of them, even after they reduced the price of the controller and the software.

I got a second-hand MS-20ic to control the MS-20 iPad app when it came out in 2013. Loved it so much that I bought the VSTi. It's nice to edit on a dedicated controller, and I wished there were more of them. But companies don't think enough people would buy them, otherwise there would be tons of them for sale today.

There are people who make dedicated controllers by hand, but they are not cheap. Here is one guy who made several beautiful controllers for his synths, but he does not usually sell them.

Maybe when 3D printers become widely available someone will create and sell the blueprints for making customized controllers. Till then, something like Novation SL mkII does a good job, in my experience.
Wow, that Synth-Project guy’s controllers
are awesome. I did not know about his
website. Holy cow! I already sent him
an email suggesting he make a controller
for Arturia’s Synclavier V.
Old 4th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I just upgraded and had a quick play with some of the plugins.

The Odyssey sounds great! Really nice. However, I am getting a reproducible crash every time I right click on the modulation pads on the left. Can someone try this? I'm on Win 7 x 64

AFAIK the existing plugins have not had a interface update.

EDIT: Can anyone point me towards a place to report this bug to Korg?
Old 6th January 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine View Post
I just upgraded and had a quick play with some of the plugins.

The Odyssey sounds great! Really nice. However, I am getting a reproducible crash every time I right click on the modulation pads on the left. Can someone try this? I'm on Win 7 x 64

AFAIK the existing plugins have not had a interface update.

EDIT: Can anyone point me towards a place to report this bug to Korg?
I get the crash too. [EDIT: Windows 10 here]

Also, anyone know how to get to the Arpeggiator that is described on the help page: Arpeggiator – KORG app Help Center
Old 22nd January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfc83 View Post

Been doing a bit more of this lately, including some blind a/b. It's actually pretty damn close, closer than I thought back then. Even the ring mod.

I would love to compare the high res filter sweeps to a real Karp. Anyone here with a real ARP/Karp want to send me some audio?
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Regarding the Odyssey plug-in, the deal-breaker for me is the keyboard frequency tracking of the main oscillators: They are in tune with each other for only a few notes. One of the great things about the original hardware (in my case, a 1976 Odyssey II) is that the oscillators are pitch-perfect. Mine will maintain zero-beating from the lowest to the highest notes when the oscillators are tuned to unison or octaves. Many of the patches I have used for the last forty plus years require this, but the plug-in can't do it.
We need scalable oscillators. I've sent my request to KORG...
Elazmo
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
I assumed the bad tracking was authentic to the real thing.. hmm. I'll also submit a request to Korg
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

does the karp have this detuning or solid tuning? anyone know?
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

As far as I can hear this plugin is identical to the Gadget vst that is installed as part of the DAW. So if you have Gadget for Mac or PC be aware that you'll be paying twice for the same thing.
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you, mfc83, for reporting the oscillators' tracking issue to Korg. We Odyssey addicts are hopeful that Korg will implement a fix. What a great plugin it will be!
Old 24th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazmo View Post
Thank you, mfc83, for reporting the oscillators' tracking issue to Korg. We Odyssey addicts are hopeful that Korg will implement a fix. What a great plugin it will be!
No problem!

I also found this review of the app version. They compare it to their Karp and also notice the tracking doesn't match the original.

Korg ARP Odyssey vs. Odyssei App - Wer ist der bessere Klon? | Beat

Google translated relevant section:

Quote:
... the octave spread does not seem to be completely identical either. This sound is good to hear in the sound example with two slightly detuned sawtooth waves that sound almost identical in the lower part, but differ in the upper range. Incidentally, in the examples on the DVD, the app always plays first, then the hardware alternately. In the meantime, Korg has added an additional option as part of an update, which allows a uniform tuning of both oscillators over the entire keyboard range.
So it seems that Korg told them this is fixed in an update, but that update never came?

Also if anyone has the "DVD" comparison files I'd love to hear them!
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Ha! Actually it’s in the iOS app.
Attached Thumbnails
korg Arp Odyssey plugin-9d5ba6c6-6f27-46e8-b0fe-7f0d0de5b6e0.jpg   korg Arp Odyssey plugin-dc446923-3cd2-481f-8913-378c2a0e8c89.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Yes, yes. The Odyssey 1.1 update not only includes the AAX version, but implements the desired equal tuning option. My warmest regards to the folks at Korg who paid attention to this. My bottle of wine and I will be up all night with this great plugin.
Enjoy!!
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazmo View Post
Yes, yes. The Odyssey 1.1 update not only includes the AAX version, but implements the desired equal tuning option. My warmest regards to the folks at Korg who paid attention to this. My bottle of wine and I will be up all night with this great plugin.
Enjoy!!
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea there was an Arp Odyssey update?? I didn't get an email, and don't see anything on the "KORG ID" site / page that indicated there was an update? I also see (and maybe these were there, but I missed 'em?) a "Bonus Program" Download option, with Korg Collection Expansion Banks (presuming in the new format) for MS-20 , Polysix, Mono/Poly, M1, Wavestation, and LegacyCell programs.

Nice...
Old 2nd February 2018
Here for the gear

I did not receive any notice of an update, either. There happened to be a blurb on a Korg page about "new AAX version update," so I thought, "probably no substantive improvements in the VST/AU plug." But, lo and behold, it's an update for everybody.
Confusingly, I had to download the unversioned installer from my Korg ID page, hoping that it would be good. And it is!
Elazmo
📝 Reply