The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
List of Hardware Synthesizers that play polyphonic in unison mode Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th December 2017
Here for the gear

List of Hardware Synthesizers that play polyphonic in unison mode

Hi there, Im thinking of maybe getting a Hardware Synthesizer that play polyphonic in unison mode. For instance a 16 poly voiced synthesizer that can play chords where each has dedicated 4 voices unison. Preferable analogue Oscillator (DCO or VCO) but actually might looks into digital synthesizers as well.

My understanding is Novation Peak and Behringer Deepmind has this possibility and the DSI Prophet Rev 2 do not! The DSI Prophet is mono in unison mode.

Thanks for the help!
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Roland JX-8P and probably JX-10 too.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Blofeld
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

KingKorg supports this feature ... you can assign multiple voices per note. Starting with 24 voices of polyphony, this actually works out pretty well.
Old 18th December 2017
Here for the gear

One more thing, I am not looking for vintage but only the one still in production so its easily to buy =)
Old 18th December 2017
Elektron A4/Keys if I remember right?
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Sequential Circuits SixTrak! Six loud, independent single-oscillator voices in stack mode. Now that's loud.

(...and I think the Multitrak can do it too...)
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Any Roland synth with the Supernatural Synth engine can do that, for example the JD-Xi, JD-XA, FA series, Jupiter-50/80, Integra7.

You can select between 2 / 4 / 6 / 8 voice unison modes and play them polyphonically.
Old 19th December 2017
JX10 and MKS70 have two different unison modes. one simply doubles the voice with detune control, so instead of 2 oscillators per voice, you get 4. and this is per part (or TONE in rolandspeak), as they have two. so now each is down to 3 voice polyphony. another way to achieve this is using standard voice mode but simply layer two of the same tone preset, and detune. result: 6 voice polyphony with 4 oscillators per voice. big. it sounds like this for example> http://www.babic.com/SYN/MKS70-CelloOrchestra.mp3

and then, they have classic full unison driving all 6 voices into a mono voice. and since its DCO, it pretty much sounds like lifeless comb filtered crap. like a jet engine that got diahrrea. i never used this in 25 yrs i had both machines.

Jupiter 6 has dynamic unison divide sort of. that means when you engage unison and play monophonically it plays a six voice layer (12osc) on one key, but when you press two keys simul, it automatically redistributes it to two voices with 3 layers each,, meaning 6osc per voice, and so on. and unison on Jup6, as on MKS80 sounds absolutely fabulous. maybe the best out of polyanalogs. unison on Jup8 sounds like crap. no detune control.

finally, Andromeda probably has the best ever setup - you get to choose how many layers, and detune as well, and it is saved per patch unlike jupiters above. so you can have anything from simply doubling (4osc per voice) all the way to crazy 16voice layer (32osc). i usually used just doubling, it sounds humongous as it is. you can try 32 for guiness book of records or something - but i presume it does not sound musically usable.
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Nut

The Yamaha DX7S and DX7II Is another hardware synth that can play polyphonic in unison but it is 4 note polyphonic in unison mode.
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Nord Lead 3 has unison (5 layers) without any reduction of polyphony - still 24 voices.

I think...
Old 19th December 2017
Nord Lead 4 has 3 levels of unison with no reduction in polyphony.

Ultra/Mininova has varying levels of unison with polyphony reduction at each level.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
and then, they have classic full unison driving all 6 voices into a mono voice. and since its DCO, it pretty much sounds like lifeless comb filtered crap. like a jet engine that got diahrrea. i never used this in 25 yrs i had both machines.
One of the most famous synth sounds in the history uses that feature.

Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Modal 002 (hybrid) and 008 (analogue): at twelve voices, one can set up Stack mode with any number of voices (typically two, three, four or six); even on the 8-voice rack units, this works reasonably well.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

My vote is Andromeda for best unison mode. 16 voices detuned on one note sounds amazing.
Old 21st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
Modal 002 (hybrid) and 008 (analogue): at twelve voices, one can set up Stack mode with any number of voices (typically two, three, four or six); even on the 8-voice rack units, this works reasonably well.
Thanks for the modal options! A bit expensive but super qualified to this list =)
Old 21st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

Thanks you understand I was looking for, the next requirement, some kind of detune contol/modulation =) otherwise its useless to use unison function!

So Andromeda is discontinued so hoping for the synth which "replace" it, i guess modal synths doing that
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
Nord Lead 4 has 3 levels of unison with no reduction in polyphony.
Not quite. NL4 unison does eat up voices, but if you exceed 20 voices unison# is reduced before held notes are cut off.
Old 23rd December 2017
Lives for gear
tubbutec modded Juno 6/60 has several unison modes
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Guru

Prophet 12.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search