The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland D110 vs XV 5080
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Roland D110 vs XV 5080

Hey there, I'm on the verge of buying a new rack synth. I was going for the XV5080 bt I checked a demo of a d110 and it seems to offer some nice sounds as well.
So I'm asking what would the benefits of a d110 be over a 5080 ? Bear in mind that I'm not after a very "hi fi" sound. I need something versatile that can produce deep 90's uk rave bass as well as more evolving pads etc etc.

What's my best bet ? Which one has more character as well ?

Thanks
Old 1st December 2017
D110 will not do what you want. It's a small and cheap sounding synth, a cutdown version of the D550. It was always a budget box. Bear in mind it is not cool grungy sounding cheapness (like, say a Kawai K1r), but small cheapness. A D550 would definitely do the pads, but not really that kind of bass (although it is capable of a lot of nice bass sounds). The XV5080 is fabulous IMO, you can do a lot with it. Very flexible, but not really something you will instantly get "character" from. That can definitely be done, it is a powerful synth, but takes some effort to learn. The structures are very cool, and layering is endless. It's no Kurzweil, but it is a very good sounding machine.
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

There are no benefits of a D110 over an XV5080. The D110 is very limited, it's not great for bass at all. And for evolving pads (and everything else too tbh), the XV5080 is in a whole different league.
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Ok thanks for both of you, you confirmed what I was thinking : )
Need to click on that order button and wait for it to travel from japan now...

cheers !
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Maniac

You'll be happier with the noise floor on the 5080 too.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

The XV5080 is a supreme goliath of sound.

The D110 is a steaming pile of sh1t.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

I owned them both many moons ago and the XV5080 is in an entire different league than the D110. The 5080 was probably one of the nicest ROMplers I ever owned back in the day. I agree with what tehlord says about the D110 being "a piece of sh1t".
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Linear Arithmetic Synthesis is unique in sound, making all the D series so special. People throwing **** to them shows the difference between a preset surfer and a real synth programmer. There is no bad synth with a Roland logo on it. The strings and pads in the d110 are huge with some programming and thanks to *********s they are getting really cheap.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

I bought a D110 for approximately 3 quid a couple of weeks ago. I think I like it.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

nice one. at that price it's going to be your favorite synth soon
having a JV-1080 doesn't make me want to get rid of the D-110
- completely different thing.

most people slate the D-110 because they only played presets
on it, i think. if you treat it as 2 pairs of partials, and play on
the TVF envelope between T1/L1 and T2/L2, you'll get more out of it.

(wonder if the atari editor can be run via STeem ... ?)
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

I programmed the hell out of my Roland D5 back in the day (a D110 in a keyboard without the multi outs or fx). I'd agree you can get some nice sounds out of it if try hard enough, including some genuinely nice smooth pads when using all four partials with some slight variations in each partial (especially if you use the s1 and s2 tunings on a couple of the partials). But given the choice between the D110 and the XV5080, it's just no contest at all.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
Linear Arithmetic Synthesis is unique in sound, making all the D series so special. People throwing **** to them shows the difference between a preset surfer and a real synth programmer. There is no bad synth with a Roland logo on it. The strings and pads in the d110 are huge with some programming and thanks to *********s they are getting really cheap.
What are you talking about?

You can't jump to those conclusions and make silly statements like that. It's through getting to know a synth and learning how to program it that you can arrive at an opinion. There's plenty of bad synths with a Roland logo on it, many of which happen to reside in the 'D' series.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
People throwing **** to them shows the difference between a preset surfer and a real synth programmer.
Yes, because tehlord is obviously a preset surfer, isn't he.

Quote:
There is no bad synth with a Roland logo on it.
Ever tried a JX-1? Or an MC-303?
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

At very least, the lower D series has a ring modulator, which can lead to BRUTAL sounds if misused.

A lot of people like these lower LA style sounds as they were utilised in the MT32 and used in loads of 90’s DOS (and a few Amiga) games.

I think the UI’s are a bit car crash, and on my MT32 video, some of the basses needed an EQ boost, but the D series just sound so “interesting”! Weird evolving pads, odd little jam loops, it’s unique.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

I've still got a JV1080 and a D110 lying around and while they are completely different, the D110 is only poor if you have limited numbers of synths and really need it to cover more bases IMHO. I never switch either on any more (read many years) but my D110 had been programmed with tons of intense lead sounds which I remember sounding very convincing when I first picked it up cheap more than a decade ago. I'm going to have to switch it on again and see if it really is as bad as everyone is saying, but rarely is a synth not worth having for just what it does well.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
I bought a D110 for approximately 3 quid a couple of weeks ago. I think I like it.
A D110 can make some cool sounds, but it's interface is wretched, even with an editor, not a lot of fun.

It's one of those that's easy to like if you also have other gear and you pick it up for less than $50.

It's not 'absolutely' bad, just worse than a lot of things you can pick up for the same. We'll have hit a low in synth affordability if there isn't something better you can get for $75.

vs a xv5080 it is no contest.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
A D110 can make some cool sounds, but it's interface is wretched, even with an editor, not a lot of fun.

It's one of those that's easy to like if you also have other gear and you pick it up for less than $50.

It's not 'absolutely' bad, just worse than a lot of things you can pick up for the same. We'll have hit a low in synth affordability if there isn't something better you can get for $75.

vs a xv5080 it is no contest.
I’d always recommend people get a Kawai K4 instead in that price bracket, that one sounds just magical.
Old 2nd December 2017
Quote:
The strings and pads in the d110 are huge with some programming and thanks to *********s they are getting really cheap.
Huge? Depends on the context. Dial in the same parameters on the D50. Kicks the **** out of a D110.

BECAUSE A D110 IS JUST A CUT DOWN D50!

Don't waste time programming a D5/ 10/110/20 put the same work in on a D50, your ears will thank you for it. Then add the onboard chorus, you'll die
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
At very least, the lower D series has a ring modulator, which can lead to BRUTAL sounds if misused.
Actually Structures 2 4 5 and 7 on the D50 have Ring Mod.

Agree about K4, it is a cool sounding machine. Mainly because the basic PCMs are mostly terrible/ characterful (except choir, that is stunning) and the filter is odd, in a good way. Like the K1 I mentioned earlier.
Old 2nd December 2017
Deleted User
I gave away my Roland D-5 and D-110 away for free. Both had 100% custom programs on it, but I had this in my rig from 1990-2015 and it was time for a change.

I got neat sounds out of both of them. They defined me then. But I do not
really miss them...

Quote:
Old 2nd December 2017
Deleted User
Whats the hate for the Roland D-5/D-110?????
They were good synths back in the day!
Based on the D-50 sure, but dissing them straight out?
What happened to diplomacy in this day and age.....

wait a second, it went out with the spoken word, and reasonable assertions!
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Head

I have a D550 and A D110. The 110 is cool because its 12 bit and not 16 bit like the 50 or 550. This gives it a softer and lighter weight sound which is good for layering under other synths but not much else. A lot of classic house and techno was done with the D110. Theres even a few records on Nu-Groove records in particular that are made entirely on the 110. Even Kerri Chandler used one. But its def not what your looking for. If you find one for $50 or something than it can be a good auxiliary synth or if you want some of those presets at your disposal Ie. "Soundtrack" and a few others. Other than that your way better off with the XV 5080
Old 2nd December 2017
I used to sell the D-10, D-20, D-110, D-50 when I worked at a music store while in high school and college. I had to learn then inside and out so I could sell them. I've forgotten a lot of the programming since then, though, but I do remember my impressions of the series. I also owned a MT-32 at the time.

The D-110 is a rack mount D-10. The D-20 is the D-10 with a sequencer and floppy drive -- basically the workstation edition of the D-10.

The D-10/110 sounds cheap in a cheap way. Because it was a cheap/budget multi-timbral device. That was important at the time. Not so much now.

The sounds are not as rich or complex as the D-50 or D-550. The synthesis is more limited. The D-10 was the budget synth for those who wanted something in the same family as a D-50 but couldn't afford it. Even at the time, I thought it sounded pretty cheesy. It also suffers from a bad programming interface, and unlike the D-50, you're not going to find a hardware programming interface for it because they are super rare, and honestly, not very full-featured. Compare the PG-10 to the PG-1000.

We also had a number of D-10s and D-20s come back with freezing problems. They would freeze up during a performance. I don't recall the reasons, but it seemed to have something to do with MIDI flooding. We sold a lot of D-10s at the time, so maybe I just saw a larger slice of problems as a result.

Unless you absolutely need hardware, there's little to no real reason to get a D-110 vs. any number of VSTs. If you hear "magic" in the 110's cheap sound, ok, but keep in mind that's probably just in your head. A VST like Omnisphere will get you most everything, with sounds from the same programmer.

Note: Don't confuse these LA synths with the D-70 ROMpler, which is more from the U-20 / U-220 family (sold a lot of those at the time too, because everyone wanted a piano sound).

In fact, if you're really in the market for a D-10/110, I would strongly suggest you consider the D-05 from Roland instead. It's modern, gets you more of the D-50 class of sounds, and unlike the D-550 (which I also own) has better MIDI performance characteristics.

Yes, anyone can find/create a few gems in a given synth, and there are some YouTubers who can make any synth sound good. That doesn't mean the synth is good/great. If you really want to invest the time learning the D-10/110 programming interface because you're specifically interested in that, go for it. But that's a big investment for low payoff, IMO.

Pete
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tape View Post
What are you talking about?

You can't jump to those conclusions and make silly statements like that. It's through getting to know a synth and learning how to program it that you can arrive at an opinion. There's plenty of bad synths with a Roland logo on it, many of which happen to reside in the 'D' series.
This is EXACTLY what I was talking about...thank you.
Old 3rd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax View Post
Whats the hate for the Roland D-5/D-110?????
They were good synths back in the day!
Based on the D-50 sure, but dissing them straight out?
What happened to diplomacy in this day and age.....

wait a second, it went out with the spoken word, and reasonable assertions!
It's a synth, not a person so diplomacy does not apply.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

i'm just saying if people will put up with a TX81z
and declare it a 'classic', then the D-110 is its lesser-D-series counterpart.

Last edited by ibtl; 3rd December 2017 at 09:49 PM..
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
i'm just standing up for it because if people will put up with a TX81z
and declare it a 'classic', then the D-110 is its D-series counterpart.
Not sure I agree with that comparison!

The D-110 just sounds muffled and bland, with no sweet spot, sort of like a tennis racket that cannot quite return a serve and get the ball over the net no matter how hard the player swings.

The TX81Z is a quirky little beast that can give you some amazingly musical sounds with the right touch (and random button presses!) and a bit of reverb.

Last edited by gear_up; 3rd December 2017 at 09:55 PM..
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

all i'm saying is that you can pull some ok sounds
out of it. depends on the context.

Last edited by ibtl; 3rd December 2017 at 10:07 PM..
Old 3rd December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
The D-110 just sounds muffled and bland, with no sweet spot, sort of like a tennis racket that cannot quite return a serve and get the ball over the net no matter how hard he swings.
LOLOLOLOL great description.

TX81Z is OK, but FM8 is loads better and does all of the same stuff without all of that ****ing around with hipster MIDI boxes.

Quote:
all i'm saying is that you can pull some ok sounds
out of it.
Ya, they're "ok" versions of D50 sounds. A D50 doesn't cost very much, it being one of the best selling keyboards ever, plus there's now a boutique version. So why bother with a D110?

Sorry, but if someone's on a budget there are plenty of better boxes under $50 or $100. As mentioned, Kawai K1 and K4, for example. Or a JV1080!

No, the D110 really is a turkey.

Next, someone will mention that ****ty CHeetah and the Aphex Twin album. Sorry, but the demo tracks for the synth are better than that album. Not his best work. Great marketing to the hipsters though.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

oh yeah, 'on a budget', absolutely.
i just mean box freaks who are curious.
in which case, avoid the JV also. get something with knobs on.
Old 3rd December 2017
Quote:
oh yeah, 'on a budget', absolutely.
i just mean box freaks who are curious.
Ya that's me lol.
Quote:
in which case, avoid the JV also. get something with knobs on.
Oh great, now you're generalising about parameter access synths. Could we please have a more engaging discussion?
📝 Reply