The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which audio interface do you use - official roll call 2017 A.D. Audio Interfaces
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Home/Mobile (Linux): RME Babyface Pro.
Studio (Mac): Prism Orpheus.
Old 12th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
It’s definitely worth considering an Ethernet connection to your network even if you have no intention of using AVB interconnect. There’s something incredibly convenient about being able to explore and tweak with an iPad on WiFi, and the ability to have multiple web interfaces open simultaneously (on one device or many) shows lots of promise.
This.
Old 12th January 2018
Here for the gear

UAD Apollo Twin Quad. In my home studio, I only record guitar, keys and vocals, so it suit my needs just fine
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Ok so I have finally made a big decision. I have been saving and saving and saving like all crazy for 6 months now, having money to spend on synths is so tempting, so so so horribly tempting, at first I was going to buy the OB6, then Peak, then MPC LIVE, this money is buring a hole in my pocket, but I went through all the scenarios of making music and found that any more synths and it;s going to be just a hinderance to my workflow, not to mention I do not have the inputs for anything else.. So I decided I'm going to continue saving and buy myself an Apollo 8 quad interface, there's a deal till March 31st that if you buy any Apollo rack interface you get a free Satellite accelerator with it, so I should have the money in time to buy either a Duo or Quad interface. I'm really wanting a stable, good quality interface that uses thunderbolt and this is the one I'm getting...

anyone have any reasons to talk me out of it..?
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Ok so I have finally made a big decision. I have been saving and saving and saving like all crazy for 6 months now, having money to spend on synths is so tempting, so so so horribly tempting, at first I was going to buy the OB6, then Peak, then MPC LIVE, this money is buring a hole in my pocket, but I went through all the scenarios of making music and found that any more synths and it;s going to be just a hinderance to my workflow, not to mention I do not have the inputs for anything else.. So I decided I'm going to continue saving and buy myself an Apollo 8 quad interface, there's a deal till March 31st that if you buy any Apollo rack interface you get a free Satellite accelerator with it, so I should have the money in time to buy either a Duo or Quad interface. I'm really wanting a stable, good quality interface that uses thunderbolt and this is the one I'm getting...

Do you really need the UAD processing? Do you have many plugins already?
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Do you really need the UAD processing? Do you have many plugins already?
It's not about processing although having those UAD plug ins would be seriously nice, I'm not a plug in kinda guy, I have only a few and rarely use them anyways as I'm a Reason user.. No this is about getting a rock solid thunderbolt interface that lets me track 3 or 4 hardware synths at a time with little latency and good sounding convertors.. the real big plus for me will be the thunderbolt connection, frees up the poxy USB bus and the Apollo has a function whereby you can audition an alternate set of monitors at the push of a button, something I'm going to be investing in after I get this rack.

I just really hate audio across USB 2, there is something really crap about it imo.. not to mention it freezes randomly and always at the wrong moment.

I want to get away from MOTU and cue mix and invset in something really decent for tracking and monitoring, there's no need for more synths, I can make nearly every synth sound with what I have. I want to know if anyone has had any negative experiences with these new black face Apollo units..?
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, you can always get an RME, another top brand with tried and proven stability and the best drivers in the market.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Well, you can always get an RME, another top brand with tried and proven stability and the best drivers in the market.
I wish people would specify what platform they’re talking about when they make sweeping statements about experiences with drivers. Some manufacturers clearly prioritize Mac over PC or vice-versa.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wish people would specify what platform they’re talking about when they make sweeping statements about experiences with drivers. Some manufacturers clearly prioritize Mac over PC or vice-versa.
RME is solid on both, I have used it on both.

I would say most manufacturers are from good to very solid on mac, sans updates when new macos is released.

On windows few have really good drivers, RME and Steinberg are the best I have tried.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

To me audible differences between audio interfaces are so negligible (apart from the really cheap ones) that I find it nuts to spend hard saved 2.5 k for an 8in interface. Especially if you don't need the plugins. If you have a chance to try before buy, I'd test a Tascam 16x8 or Focusrite 18i20 first. Or go for a used Metric Halo.

The money you save will buy a pair of Warm Audio Pultecs and a drummachine

Soundwise I'm happy with my Motu 828mkII FW. Sounds very transparent to me (with Neumann KH 120 monitors) - I don't use the preamps. Sure, it's got a chain of adapters going into the Thunderbolt 3. And it's not always stable but it works well enough for my solo electronic projects.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have
Apollo Quad (silver face -- hate the A/D/A)
Apogee Symphony mki (still lovely, why buy the mkii?)
RME Babyface Pro (they deserve a technical Grammy for this unit. It is an engineering work of art)
Apogee One (interesting use case applications)
MPC X (conversion is really mediocre in this price range)

I think I want the UFX+ if I bought something new.

Last edited by harry_seldon; 27th January 2018 at 11:45 PM..
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Soundwise I'm happy with my Motu 828mkII FW. Sounds very transparent to me (with Neumann KH 120 monitors) - I don't use the preamps. Sure, it's got a chain of adapters going into the Thunderbolt 3. And it's not always stable but it works well enough for my solo electronic projects.
Concur about the 828mkII... a super solid interface, at least under Mac OS (which is what I used one with for many years.)

As noted in earlier posts, I recently moved to the new MOTU 828es, which carries on the tradition with similar compliment of i/o (plus an additional optical i/o pair), Thunderbolt/USB, updated, top-drawer conversion and a much more powerful routing matrix and internal mixer. Under a grand; for me it was a no-brainer.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

I've had a MOTU Ultralite Hybrid Mk3 for a couple years, combined with a Dell Latitude E6520 laptop. The first year it worked perfectly - Then, one day it started behaving erratically. No sound or loud glitches until I changed the buffer size 10 times or just rebooted the laptop. I've no idea what caused it - even a clean upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 didn't make a difference.
Last month I replaced it with an RME Fireface UC. Feature-wise not much of an upgrade - but still an expensive one. The RME is rock solid!
I sold the MOTU to someone with a Mac and he reported back that it works perfectly. I guess MOTU interface are a great budget friendly solution for OSX users, but I'd never buy from them again.
I was doubting between the RME and an ESI that was a lot cheaper (U168 XT), but I couldn't find many "user experiences" with the ESI one.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Terror View Post
A power button on the front would have made the UCX ideal...oh! and plastic rack handles and surround on something that costs what it does.
I don't care about a power button since I use a dedicated audio/music computer.
I really hated it, when I still had my MOTU interface; I switched on the socket strip - everything turned on, except the MOTU - I had to press the power button 5 sec manually, every time!
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

The 828es uses a physical switch, for what it’s worth.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 828es uses a physical switch, for what it’s worth.
I prefer it on hardware synths, so I can turn them off individually when they're not in use. But my audio interface should always be on when using my PC.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teceem View Post
I prefer it on hardware synths, so I can turn them off individually when they're not in use. But my audio interface should always be on when using my PC.
Right, so with a physical switch you can just leave it on the “on” position and you’re set. My point was that the soft switch used on some of their interfaces doesn’t carry to the complete MOTU line.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right, so with a physical switch you can just leave it on the “on” position and you’re set. My point was that the soft switch used on some of their interfaces doesn’t carry to the complete MOTU line.
"point" or no point, I believed you when you first mentioned it. Maybe that soft switch has something to do with with their Mac history (easier to combine multiple interfaces in OSX - though not always a good idea).
Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear

Revive Audio Modified Digidesign 192s and Lavry Blue.

I recently got the ole' 192s modified by Revive Audio and could immediately hear the digital "veil" had been lifted. I first listened to a projected tracked on an MCI tape machine. I could hear the tape better and the quality level jumped up. The bass was the first thing I noticed. It seemed to get rid of the tubbiness/fuzziness I always fought, even after adding quality external clocking. The new modern chip Revive installs increased the top end detail and made it much more pleasant to listen to. Interestingly, room mics also seemed much more detailed and depth of field is seems better. The Digidesign 192 was prime for modding and it sounds fantastic now.
If you are a ProTools HD owner and you are looking for a way to step up sound quality without throwing away gear, I recommend checking out Revive Audio Digidesign 192 mods. Lavry Blue is rad too!
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Had an M-Audio AP2496 for years and it has been great. I added an AP192 and the Delta 1010 recently while I'm rewiring my whole mess. They sound great, better than the AP2496 but even that is still fine with a slight EQ tweak. I'm going to stay PCI as long as I can.
I just went back to my M-Audio AP2496 from the iConnectivity Audio4+. The Audio 4+ is really awesome, but too complicated especially with the usb host for midi. So I went to the 2496 and a mixer. FYI windows 7 drivers work fine on windows 10.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Addict

Behringer X18 here. 18 in 18 out.
Old 1st May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

Well that bright idea never aventuated, still using my motu 828mk3, but I am considering one of two options now, either get the MOTU 16a or get a Behringer ad8200 expander and hook that up via ADAT to my 828mk3. The 16a is a nice all in one elegant solution, but is 2k, the Behringer is $370.
Old 20th May 2018
Quote:
Well that bright idea never aventuated, still using my motu 828mk3, but I am considering one of two options now, either get the MOTU 16a or get a Behringer ad8200 expander and hook that up via ADAT to my 828mk3. The 16a is a nice all in one elegant solution, but is 2k, the Behringer is $370.
Check out the 828es. Perfect drop-in replacement, state of the art conversion and much more powerful routing features.

EDIT: oh, I see you are looking for analog input expansion. Never mind.
Old 20th May 2018
Lives for gear

Upgraded this week, to an Apollo Twin (duo) from a Firewire Saffire Pro 14.

Mainly to use some (UAD) plugins running on the interface instead of the Mac mini for tracking. Upgrade in tone and features, but a downgrade in IO. At the moment, I'm making do with an analogue mixer into the stereo inputs, but I'll also go looking for an ADAT converter soon, I think.

Any suggestions? Seems to be a choice of Audient ASP880/800 for preamp/converter quality, Focusrite Octopre for mid-range and Behringer ADA8200 for budget.
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCMarkus View Post
Check out the 828es. Perfect drop-in replacement, state of the art conversion and much more powerful routing features.

EDIT: oh, I see you are looking for analog input expansion. Never mind.
Yes I'm down to one of 3 ideas at the moment..

1: keep the 828mk3 and get a Behringer ADA8200 ADAT expander $350
2: Keep the 828mk3 and get the 828x which is mk3 with thunderbolt $1300
3: Sell the 828mk3 for peanuts and get a MOTU 16A = 16 analog ins $2300

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search