The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which audio interface do you use - official roll call 2017 A.D. Audio Interfaces
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

RME FireFace 400 with an assist from a Behringer AD8200. Works.

Prior to that, a PreSonus 16.0.2. Decent but too big and I never used the physical mixing features. Before that, a MOTU 828 that I still use with an old laptop, from time to time.
Old 25th November 2017
Allen & Heath Qu24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Do you guys make DAW templates for all your audio ins and outs to match your interfaces..?
I have a default template with some of the I/O configured just to get me started. I also keep notes handy of all the I/O on my Qu. I never remember which outputs my outboard effects are connected on. I also have my USAMO VST configured in the template so I don’t have to go through calibrating that thing every time.
Old 25th November 2017
MOTU 828x

Before that:
Roland Studio Capture
Steinberg UR824
Focusrite 18i20
Focusrite 2i4

I settled on MOTU primarily because of its DC-coupled outputs & ADAT output which come in really handy for eurorack setups. Can sequence with zero latency, sample accurate via expert sleepers. Also can be Thunderbolt or USB. Sounds better than the others I’ve owned. I had it next to the Roland, Steinburg, and Focusrite all at once.

Actually thinking of getting something smaller. Dont need quite so many I/O.....but if I want Thunderbolt, DC-coupled, and ADAT outputs, that list is short.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Behringer U-Control UCA222

Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

RME UCX with Ada8200. 16 analog ins into RME @44.1khz.
MAudio 2X2 for mobile USB C powered with macbook, but no midi. Great bit of kit for £80.

Had..

Focusrite scarlett - ok ish. Sound was a bit muffled.
Audiophile 2496 PCI - Brilliant and cheap as chips.
EMU held in CD drive bay way back in day.
Soundblaster live in drive bay way back in day.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

MOTU 8A, which replaced my ageing first generation Metric Halo ULN2 earlier this year.

I am very impressed by the MOTU, it sounds excellent and has been rock solid so far.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Addict

3 rigs... and RME everywhere

HDSP9652 into a dangerous source on main daw/mix box
RME UFX & RME XTC on mobile rig (Surface pro 4)
RME Babyface pro on ultra portbal rig with ipad mini
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Since 2004, still using my Dgig 002Rack with BLA mods. Sounds great! I mostly use it in editing and processing post production, since most of my recording is live music or spoken word.

For recording, Qu mixers sound great.

I have also a MOTU 8M, an M-Audio 2626, and Alesis HD24 for remote capture, but since getting the Qu (16 and 24) I use them exclusively for recording, nice that they have USB stick backup for up to 18 tracks.

HD24 is selling soon.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

RME Fireface UCX here. No templates.
Old 25th November 2017
WDM
Lives for gear

At the moment I use two Roland digital mixers: M16DX and MX-1 running at 24x96, Digidesign midi IO and powered 7 port USB hub connected to Mac mini running Logic Pro X.

Basically M16DX is a default audio interface for mac mini and it also hosting the speakers, and MX-1 acts as sub mixer, but both could be easily flip the role if required when used with Logic.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Now:
- MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Hybrid + Edirol M-16DX, used as a submixer (SPDIF in/analog out) [Studio]
- Soundblaster X-Fi Music [Gaming/general usage PC]

Past:
- Edirol M-16DX - as an audio interface. I got the MOTU because the Edirol lacked output busses. It has 2 stereo AUX channels when used as a standalone mixer, but not when used as an audio interface.
- Tascam US122MKII
- Soundblaster Live Platinum
- Sound Blaster AWE64 Value
- Sound Blaster 16 Pro
- PC Speaker

Not used:
Zoom H2N: has a built-in audio interface, but I just use it as a field recorder or microphone.

I'm thinking of replacing the MOTU with a Fireface UC. The drivers are pretty unstable (Windows). It sometimes takes a couple of reboots for it to be useable.
It's just so hard to spend that much money because of some annoyances, because when the Motu does work, it's a great audio interface.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

I agree the MOTU's do sound pretty good to me, mind you I don't have much to compare them too, it's not like you can fire up multiple interfaces and check, but I've no complaints about sound quality or ease of use, just sometimes it hangs my mac when the hardware looks to opens cue mix, least I think that's what happens, a reboot will see it stable for the entire session after that.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Addict

Metric Halo ULN-8
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Apogee Symphony 24 ins and outs and also use a RME UFX, the RME is used when I don't feel like going through a mixer.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Fireface UC
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Guru

Is anybody using an RME with Sierra or High Sierra on a mac..? how is the stability..?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is anybody using an RME with Sierra or High Sierra on a mac..? how is the stability..?
Mac on Sierra - super stable.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you guys make DAW templates for all your audio ins and outs to match your interfaces..?
Yes this is absolutely essential.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

MOTU 2408 MK3's with 24/io's.

Been wanting to upgrade but I need so many that the higher end stuff is just not affordable.
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Apogee Symphony MK2 8x8
Old 29th November 2017
Quote:
surprising how many of you have RME cards.. their reputation precedes them here
Fireface 400 here. Had it for like ~10 years now and it's been a champ. The latency is extremely low, the MIDI is ultra tight and the updates are constant. Couldn't ask for anything more. Only thing that bothers me is when I will eventually have to replace it. Don't know if I'll be able to afford a new RME or if I will even spring for one. My next choice would be MOTU though because I've had really nice experiences with their Ultralite series. Very stable and good sounding interfaces. Only reason I traded off for the RME was the more versatile connections.
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Focusrite Saffire 56 with 2 Behringer ADA8200s gives me 24 analog IN/OUT plus Stereo SPDIF. Connected to a mac mini i7 running MacOS Sierra and Ableton Live.

I can turn on the ADAs only when I need them, works really stable with 64 samples buffer size.

On MacOS 10.10 I had a problem that the latency went up after while and I had to change the buffer size back and forth to work again.

Will switch to some Thunderbolt device in the future if I find a device that has more IN/OUTs for a decent price.

Other thought is to switch back to analog mixing desk. And no latency.
Old 29th November 2017
Focusrite 18i8 looking to expand it with a Behringer ADA8200 via ADAT since my 18i8 is all plugged up.
Old 29th November 2017
  • for multitrack, RME FF400 (+ ADAT via lightpipe if needed)
  • for stereo, i use a Tascam DR-100 (mk3) then transfer files
Old 29th November 2017
Lives for gear

Edirol UA-20?! I think > M-Audio Fast Track Pro(kept loosing usb connection) > Alesis iO4 Now and this has been the best one yet and it only cost me £79 new at the time, also it has 2 x Stereo inputs, needs Asio4all driver. Feel no need to upgrade...
Old 29th November 2017
Here for the gear

Komplete Audio 6. Tiny, reliable and good enough for my current needs. Replaced an Mbox 1 that is no longer supported without descending into driver hell and doing backflips. Heck, I think Avid/Digidesign doesn't even remember making it.
Old 30th November 2017
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid for the last 6 years, though it's been killing me for the last year or so ever since I switched back to a Windows 10 machine. Something about the drivers or the computer itself, but I've literally HAD IT UP TO HERE with the random crackles, cutting out, and just plain not working (which always seems to happen just as I'm getting into the groove).

I'm going to buy myself a present this Christmas, a new UAD Apollo Thunderbolt
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Zoom tac 2 thunderbolt , a poor mans Apollo, for the money can't complain , has loopbook
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Zed r16

Previously FF800, FF400 and 1820m
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Motu 16A
Steinberg UR22 mk II for ipad/backpack rig
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search