The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which audio interface do you use - official roll call 2017 A.D. Audio Interfaces
Old 24th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAllianceEast! View Post
did they fix their interfaces? I heard and had some friends return them for not working well, not clocking properly, and actually being noticeably inaccurate with internal clocking...
I have had these for 12 years now and I can say I've had a few issues but not always what others reported. I've had a firewire card go out which had to be sent in for repair. Sometimes the audio drops out in aggregate settings but I feel that is more an aggregate device problem than the AFs.

I'm on mac 10.10 and I haven't upgraded the drivers because that seemed to cause pops and clicks. So I'm still on 4.8. I do have some latency, which is consistent across the the different midi channels utlilizing the echos as well as a motu fastlane usb midi. I have ableton at 128 buffer and my latency is 3/128 in 1 bar (whatever that translates to in ms)

It is definitely time for an upgrade but they have served me well considering how much I/O I've required. I got a Steinberg UR44 recently for portability and I still think they sound better.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

MOTU 8a. Very happy with it.
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Addict

Dat RME RayDat
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Converter freak here

two track PCM AD/DA:
Forssell MADA2
Cranesong HEDD192
Cranesong Avocet
Waves L2 ( vintage digital )
also looking for some dirty but warm sounding vintage AD

two track DSD AD/DA:
working on a DIY custom AD/DA converter
DA3000

multitrack AD/DA:
Orion32

Also when needed, I use in front of AD various input transformers and different analog clippers as sound design tools .
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

I still use my soundblaster Audigy front port. Seems fine.

Will have to upgrade next year as my current audio PC is a 2008 XP machine running Cubase SX3, which again, does me fine.

Been given a 2013 Windows x64 machine which I'll be looking to get a decent interface for, maybe an Akai EIEI or whatever it is.

Heard some of my plugins may not work which could be difficult.

Thing is, aside from the semi-regular crashes, I LOVE my workflow, I mix down VST tracks a lot anyway, in order to do crazy cutting up to them, and hardware records in fine.

Do I even need to upgrade? What's the latest version of Cubase that runs on XP? 4? 5? Maybe i'll try to buy an old copy of that if it's a little more stable.
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Addict

RME Fireface 802 + Ferrofish Pulse 16
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Allen & Heath QU32, baby!

(I still have the MOTU 24 I/O and MOTU 24I that I replaced. I'm not using anymore).
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Do you guys make DAW templates for all your audio ins and outs to match your interfaces..?
Yes, I have a default project I start with that has all ins and outs set up, some soft synths ready to be played and a few fx plugins on aux channels.
Sometimes I’ll change the plug ins but routing stays mostly the same.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

I have the following at the moment:

Focusrite Red 8 Pre
Focusrite A16R
Apogee Rosetta 800
SSL Alphalink Madi SX + RME MADIface.

(and a lot of DB25 cables.)
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Yes, I have a default project I start with that has all ins and outs set up, some soft synths ready to be played and a few fx plugins on aux channels.
Sometimes I’ll change the plug ins but routing stays mostly the same.
I used to just start a new project and set up everything as I needed it, then it struck me why do this every single time when I can set aside some time and set up matching templates for different workflows, so now I have a folder full of these awesome templates, all at different tempos from 60bpms to 165 bpms, some with MIDI and some all just audio, so on the day I select the one that will suit my ideas and away I go, I've set up all the dynamics and trims per channel that I need per bit of hardware, like the Deepmind I find needs a bit more input trim than other synths so I have gone ahead and done this, all the sends are filled up with the effects chains I love to use, it's all lebeled up nicely, took some time as each new template I would think of something new to add, but the great thing is it gives me maxium time to be creative when I have an idea and I don't have to faff around fixing levels or compression etc.. well worth the effort imo..
Old 25th November 2017
I use the Steinberg UR824.

Old 25th November 2017
Gear Addict
Roland MX-1 and use the TR8 aggregated in, or sometimes just routed into the mixer depending on how much I want to battle/route audio. I need to pick up a USB3 card/hub for the keys/rytm eventually.

Works OK. Latency is eh on my 2010 Mac Pro, but can be calculated away. CPU ets a little unhappy when doing both the full MX-1 and the TR8 at the same time and routing FX. Wish it had more 1/4 inch in jacks and FX control, but hey, it was super cheap.

RE Templates: I have a bunch of templates that definitely reflect my routing/inputs. I have like one mainstay one, but I have others that I use for certain types of sound/music/effects eg more ambient-ish or more techno-y or more otherwise.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you guys make DAW templates for all your audio ins and outs to match your interfaces..?
Yes–definitely, regardless of whether it's Logic, Cubase, ProTools, Digital Performer–the templates enable one to be up and running on application entry.

If you're fastidious about phase / lining up drum mics on a fixed-position studio drum kit, you can get nearly perfect, ready-to-roll, stereo stems in no time.
Old 25th November 2017
I use a focusrite scarlett 18i20 and a presonus digimax D8

Just need clean preamps or line ins as all my synths go through outboard preamps and EQs anyway (4 x TNC ACMP73's, 2 x GAP73's, 2 x EQP-KT's) . Most of my drums go through the digimax unless I want some EQ etc

Been very happy with these. Ive had a previous focusrite interface, as well as a delta 66 and omni...nothing else. Ive got a Roland Duo capture if I ever want anything mobile as it can be completely battery powered and is class complient.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

I've been limping by with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 while in the market for something decidedly more capable. The current chain of Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter, followed by a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire 800 adapter, linked to a Firewire 800 to 400 cable into the interface is surprisingly reliable but less than optimal.

I have my eye on the MOTU 828es as a plausible replacement.
Old 25th November 2017
RME UFX expanded with ADI-8 DS for total of 20 analog i/o, and Expert Sleepers ES8/ES6 which i use for CV but also as additional audio i/o in a pinch.

previously RME FF800 since it was released.
previously RME Digiface and Mindprint EnVoice
previously Echo Gina or was it Layla. dont remember anymore.

thinking of: replacing UFX with UCX and dedicate it to a mbp live setup. and buy Antelope Orion HD for 32 analog i/o at double SR. so i can finally connect all the various hardware i have without much repatching. also plan is to be able to do OTB mixdowns.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

UAD Apollo
Also use an original MOTU Traveler for a digital synth mixer.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

RME 2496 PCI Card
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Apollo twin MKII running on a PC with thunderbolt. Works flawlessly with low latency.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

surprising how many of you have RME cards.. their reputation precedes them here
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
I'm happy with my Resident Audio T~4 thus far. Very simple to use :

Thunderbolt.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

First generation Focusrite 6i6

I like being able to patch my old Eventide H3000B in through the I/O on the 6i6 and having it show up as a VST in my DAW, but now I want more! So I suppose the 18i20 would be next...

Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Now that Live 10 finally supports named I/O I think I'm going to do this. Templates and good defaults are good practice.

Usually I don't even bother to name my tracks. I have to unlearn some awful habits.

Quote:
surprising how many of you have RME cards.. their reputation precedes them here
With Mackie outsourcing their Firewire interface for the Onyx to Frontier Designs and no plans for updating beyond Windows XP while Vista was out for a year, it became clear to me that you can obsess about minutiae in conversion all day long, at the end, what matters is the quality of the drivers and software, and RME has a pretty stellar track record for that.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

yeah templates rule, once I started making them I realised that I could save soooo much time when it actually came to recording and getting ideas down. I have since gone back and updated them all as I remember to add certain things, tweak certain settings etc.. Any spare time I have now I tweak them to be better and better, I'm now at the point where I switch on the mac and load up Reason, grab the right template and it's like I'm already half way done, just need to record or play.. it's such a slick way to work.. best part is everything is at the right level, right compression and pre routed effects are ready to roll
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

UAD Apollo 8 TB + Apollo 16 mk2 TB
OSX
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Guru

all you guys using the Apollo's how are you sorting your MIDI, most of the units I see don't have MIDI at all ..are you just using computer USB ..?
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
all you guys using the Apollo's how are you sorting your MIDI, most of the units I see don't have MIDI at all ..are you just using computer USB ..?
Computer USB for the units that will accept it, plus I have an old midiman 4x4 for the rest.

I do agree that a midi in/out would have been a helpful feature on the Apollo units, especially considering the price...
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
An old MOTU micro USB 4x6. If the Apollo had MIDI IO, it would probably be single, so you’d need an external MIDI interface anyway.
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear
RME Multiface II on my old Xeon - which I use for live recordings needing multiple mics - and a humble little UR22 mkII on my main DAW. I bought the latter around this time last year with the intention of using it until I had the money for a Babyface Pro but, in the age of disabled and frozen tracks, I haven't actually needed to replace it. For the pennies it cost it's really quite brilliant.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search