The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best House Piano?
Old 18th October 2017
  #1
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Best House Piano?

what's the best House piano ?
Old 18th October 2017
  #2
Gear Nut
 
Steinway model D grand. A real one, samples will not do for this application
Old 18th October 2017
  #3
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Korg M1 of course.
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
drockfresh's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3picentre View Post
Steinway model D grand. A real one, samples will not do for this application
This is one of the few โ€œwhich pianoโ€ questions where a Steinway Model D is the wrong answer
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
This is one of the few โ€œwhich pianoโ€ questions where a Steinway Model D is the wrong answer
Internet sarcasm never translates well
Old 18th October 2017
  #6
Gear Addict
 
konputa's Avatar
 
What, no love for the Roland MKS-20?
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3picentre View Post
Steinway model D grand. A real one, samples will not do for this application
Or a Bosendorfer Imperial, depending on the house. And the music.
Old 18th October 2017
  #8
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
c'mon, .. capital H House, not stay at home house.

M1 .. that's such a tedious machine. finally
laid hands on one, don't know what was wrong with it,
no presets or something. just couldn't be bothered to
go in and find out what it could do. don't know why it's
so legendary.

i can't play piano fer s*** btw - just curious what is
usable for that sound. be it old stuff or anything that
came along in the meantime.

for example, is there a JV preset that's any good for
that? etc.

yeah so mks-20, and that's huge and costs a fortune now,
so what about cheapie options?
Old 18th October 2017
  #9
Lives for gear
 
WozNYC's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post

what's the best House piano ?
Lots of people will say the Korg M1 simply because it was on a lot of house productions back in the day. I was never crazy about it. It always sounded cheap to me. (It's also not very realistic.)

Typically, if I need a piano in a house production, I'll usually go for something like a Yamaha C3 and brighten it up a bit. (Compression, EQ.)

There is no "best." Totally depends on the track. If it sounds good, it's good.
There are many killer piano libraries for Kontakt.
Old 18th October 2017
  #10
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Pretty much every Korg Rompler over the past 20 years has the M1 piano as a preset

If all you are looking for is the M1 piano you can find it lots of places
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
StarfishMusic's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Pretty much every Korg Rompler over the past 20 years has the M1 piano as a preset

If all you are looking for is the M1 piano you can find it lots of places
Easiest place is Korg legacy cell digital collection. It has all the m1 and expansion card presets, as well as the Wavestation which is interesting too.
Old 18th October 2017
  #12
Lives for gear
 
swiller's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Korg M1. It is to house pianos what the 909 is to house drums. The pair go great together of course. A bit like this...

Old 18th October 2017
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
tedannemann's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Besides the KORG M1 there is the YAMAHA SY77 or SY99 for the classic house piano sound (especially) of the 90s.
Old 18th October 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
No-one ever seems to mention the Ensoniq SQ-80 Piano preset that was used on a few early chicago house tracks(most famously later used by Adamski), I heard the MKS-20 was used alot too back in the day(mentioned above also). Any other famous ones in early House I'm not aware of?
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
c'mon, .. capital H House, not stay at home house.

M1 .. that's such a tedious machine. finally
laid hands on one, don't know what was wrong with it,
no presets or something. just couldn't be bothered to
go in and find out what it could do. don't know why it's
so legendary.

i can't play piano fer s*** btw - just curious what is
usable for that sound. be it old stuff or anything that
came along in the meantime.

for example, is there a JV preset that's any good for
that? etc.

yeah so mks-20, and that's huge and costs a fortune now,
so what about cheapie options?
Have you checked Spectrasonics Keyscape ? very high quality piano sounds with the retro MKS-20 sound included too.
Old 19th October 2017
  #16
Lives for gear
Ensoniq Mirage
Yamaha DX-100
JV-80
SY-85
XP-10
Sound Canvas
Old 19th October 2017
  #17
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
much more SQ80 so far than M1. don't bother mentioning
libraries - even if it works, it has no identity: can't really
imagine anything less inspiring than trawling libraries for
pianos. not these days anyway, and i haven't auditioned
a plugin for a couple of years now. (partially because of
the advent of multi-giga libraries and plugins.)

lol you can't even hear the piano in that n-joi vid. it's just
the crowd and slashing 909 hihat. definitely not that
piano.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
Lots of people will say the Korg M1 simply because it was on a lot of house productions back in the day. I was never crazy about it. It always sounded cheap to me. (It's also not very realistic.)

Typically, if I need a piano in a house production, I'll usually go for something like a Yamaha C3 and brighten it up a bit. (Compression, EQ.)

There is no "best." Totally depends on the track. If it sounds good, it's good.
There are many killer piano libraries for Kontakt.
Korg M1 because it was on a lot of house productions back in the day and because it always sounds cheap to me. Lovely and crunchy!
Old 19th October 2017
  #19
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
funny watching the 'killer' vid. takes you back to the 'lowtech'
80s when a bit of imagination and creativity could make up
for any actual missing technology.
but that still isn't the piano i heard the other day. more.
(better use of 909 there, as well)
*soul* piano, brothers and sisters..

Last edited by ibtl; 19th October 2017 at 02:34 AM..
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
shreddoggie's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
This is one of the few โ€œwhich pianoโ€ questions where a Steinway Model D is the wrong answer
If I had the choice of a piano for my house (any money was no object) it would certainly be a Steinway model D (white of course).

Old 19th October 2017
  #21
Lives for gear
 
playstation's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 19th October 2017
  #22
Lives for gear
 
StepLogik's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
JD-800, patch I53
Old 19th October 2017
  #23
Gear Addict
 
Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000 piano disk.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
that still isn't the piano i heard the other day. more.
(better use of 909 there, as well)
*soul* piano, brothers and sisters..
I hope I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you want us to guess what piano you heard the other day? Maybe you could provide the name of the song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey View Post
funny watching the 'killer' vid. takes you back to the 'lowtech'
80s when a bit of imagination and creativity could make up
for any actual missing technology.
Not trying to be a dick, but you should go that route and try creating the sound you heard. Start with maybe an old Roland SoundCanvas and tweak till you get what you like?
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedannemann View Post
Besides the KORG M1 there is the YAMAHA SY77 or SY99 for the classic house piano sound (especially) of the 90s.
Once I got a Kronos I never touched the SY99 piano sounds again. But its still a very cool tool.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
Once I got a Kronos I never touched the SY99 piano sounds again. But its still a very cool tool.
SY99 pianos aren't realistic, but they're great for house. I think that's what @ tedannemann was saying, and I completely agree.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Addict
 
konputa's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
I hope I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you want us to guess what piano you heard the other day? Maybe you could provide the name of the song?


Not trying to be a dick, but you should go that route and try creating the sound you heard. Start with maybe an old Roland SoundCanvas and tweak till you get what you like?
Oh see I enjoyed the comment that the MKS-20 is too big and expensive whereas the expense and mass of the Bosendorfer and Steinway was totally glossed over. I figured someone has a sense of humor.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by konputa View Post
Oh see I enjoyed the comment that the MKS-20 is too big and expensive whereas the expense and mass of the Bosendorfer and Steinway was totally glossed over.
Hahaha. I didn't catch that!

WozNYC nailed it: There is no best house piano. Time for OP to roll his own.
Old 19th October 2017 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by konputa View Post
Oh see I enjoyed the comment that the MKS-20 is too big and expensive whereas the expense and mass of the Bosendorfer and Steinway was totally glossed over. I figured someone has a sense of humor.
no i went to bed eventually. yeah of course a fff'n GRAND is too big.
synthmania's demo was decidedly better than the previous one.

can't remember the tune. it just triggered the question really.
JV pianos don't seem that great. maybe i should try harder.
surely a JV can do what an M1 does?
not that i was going to do a House extravaganza; just curious.
think i sort of gave up on decent pianos during the free VST
period.
Old 19th October 2017
  #30
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Any piano sampled into an old sampler.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 110 views: 8200
Avatar for timtoonz
timtoonz 5th June 2009
replies: 36 views: 12833
Avatar for E-Irizarry
E-Irizarry 15th August 2020
replies: 92 views: 20018
Avatar for Pro5
Pro5 15th August 2017
replies: 856 views: 92442
Avatar for Lamster
Lamster 8th February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump