The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Pioneer DJ DJS-1000
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

Pioneer DJ DJS-1000

There were some mentions on the SP16 thread but maybe it needs a separate discussion. Personally i find it extremely ugly although it makes sense for the DJ booths. Not quite sure how many clubs would offer this as part of the setup, unless they are some huge/popular venues. For most of the underground clubs out there, a lot of them haven't even upgraded to the 2000 nexus players, let alone the nexus 2.

I guess it's pretty much an sp16 in a cdj case, without the filters and separate outputs and designed to integrate even more with the dj booth. Maybe the sp16 didn't really sell that well or people don't bother using it in booths? Just speculation on my part.

Old 18th October 2017
Gear Nut

i think it is quite a niche product. no arrange function means you either need a sp16 to make tracks or you make tracks via a different method entirely. i think there will be some who will use it well, like KiNK in the video, but traktor has has loop recording & chopping too a remix deck for years and it seemed to be a feature that got little to no airtime when people talked about using traktor.
if it can play tracks like a cdj, which wasn't clear in the video (i might have missed it though), i'd get one (or 2) of these instead of a cdj.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

i'm pretty sure it will be limited regarding playing back tracks. just like the sp16. no reason they would compete with the cdjs.
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBeatman View Post
if it can play tracks like a cdj, which wasn't clear in the video (i might have missed it though), i'd get one (or 2) of these instead of a cdj.
It has the same 32 second sample restriction as the Toraiz.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

full press release and more pics and words over at DJWORX

https://djworx.com/pioneer-dj-djs-10...ler-sequencer/
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear
Makes me want to become a dj lol
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

The 8 audio outs is one of the main things I like about the SP-16, so the fact that the DJS-1000 only seems to have a single stereo out means I have about zero interest in it.
Old 18th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
The 8 audio outs is one of the main things I like about the SP-16, so the fact that the DJS-1000 only seems to have a single stereo out means I have about zero interest in it.
It has 2 stereo outs FYI.
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

why would anybody use this when there are things like maschine or ableton push?
Old 18th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermat View Post
why would anybody use this when there are things like maschine or ableton push?
This is standalone (no laptop needed) and integrates well with Pioneer DJ setups. Makes a lot of sense for club DJs/live performance.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Addict

I think Pioneer is just jumping on any bandwagon it can to keep their monopoly position in the pro DJ market. As a DJ myself I just can't see why on earth I would buy this and more so why I would use it. For me it defies the core essence of Djing and morphs into remixing / producing on the fly - which we already did in 1992 by doing live pa's. The only difference is that now it's reduced to child play rather than an art form. Pioneer has made many products I like and see the use of, this absolutely smells of desperation just like the 'sync' button on the CDJS.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley View Post
this absolutely smells of desperation just like the 'sync' button on the CDJS.
ooh, a little harsh! Sync is good, you can even turn it off if you must. Bad mixes with or without beatsync are always bad.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

You guys should join the SP16 group on FB, there are a crap load of pissed off people there right now. Most bashing the fact that the promised FW release hasn't yet dropped
Old 19th October 2017
Appeared to have midi ports in the back, will check the specs. Regarding the outs, I presume to save a bit on manufacturing, but also if playing live you’d be going into one channel on a dj mixer. Bet it has some internal mixer. Looks like fun!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

This thing is a right rip off, it's the same $ as an SP16
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
This thing is a right rip off, it's the same $ as an SP16
Toraiz SP-16 will disappear off the front home page soon. Did anyone notice the XDJ-RX2 was released a few months ago and now the previous XDJ-RX product doesn't even appear in the support downloads section? Within weeks the older version never existed.

The only good news is the firmwares must be similar between the DJS-1000 and SP-16 so there will be a few upgrades which will benefit both products.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Note repeat on a ribbon controller is pretty cool though
Old 20th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
Toraiz SP-16 will disappear off the front home page soon. Did anyone notice the XDJ-RX2 was released a few months ago and now the previous XDJ-RX product doesn't even appear in the support downloads section? Within weeks the older version never existed.
No. I think you are underestimating Pioneer and they must be more ambitious.

My guess is DJS-1000 is not meant to replace Toraiz SP-16.

In stead, they may even expand Toraiz line with firmware enhancements as well as addition of drum or base version of AS-1, being more focused on studio production.

By letting DJS-1000 sit in DJ booth and Toraiz in studio they can become dominant in the scene and I presume they are gong for it.

I think this way because they really have a chance to be so and that would be only possible by keeping SP-16 and DJS-1000 together in their line up.

Only DJS-1000 is not enough.
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Did anyone notice the XDJ-RX2 was released a few months ago and now the previous XDJ-RX product doesn't even appear in the support downloads section?
they just moved it to the legacy products section. they only keep the current models on that page. they still continue to release firmwares for the legacy products too although this tends to be bug fixes and minor improvements rather than new features but at least they're not dead in the water.

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-gb/supp...hive/#software
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Cracker View Post

In stead, they may even expand Toraiz line with firmware enhancements as well as addition of drum or base version of AS-1, being more focused on studio production.

By letting DJS-1000 sit in DJ booth and Toraiz in studio they can become dominant in the scene and I presume they are gong for it.

I think this way because they really have a chance to be so and that would be only possible by keeping SP-16 and DJS-1000 together in their line up.

It doesn't matter what Pio do, go look at the SP16 FB page and see how pissed their customers are still waiting for the promised FW
I almost bought one of these, maybe 6 months ago and still they haven't released that FW, now they released a newer same less device for same $?
Give you think people are going to have both devices? I don't think you understand how little Pioneer even begins to understand it's own market, the 1000 doesn't even have the Curtis filter and still has the 32 second sample limitation

Roland's 404a is hell cheaper by 1/3 and does more imo

Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Cracker View Post

I would be more confident if Pioneer themselves said that, honestly the moderator @ pulse 's comemnts at Pioneer forums seems more like calming the angry villagers down than a clear positive path for SP-16 development.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

I think this is the typical blind corporate hunt for growth because frankly the dj market is starting to get over-teched. I think there's probably a sense of threat from dj's who use a hybrid ableton live or an NI hybrid setup who are essentially producing/remixing live. So there's not really any more frontiers to break into to find a new market that's fresh and waiting to be served. Also agree it's not really that much more than an sp 404 (which I feel is overpriced) so basically it's a GAS stimulator
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Addict

Seems like a lot of people around here have never used the looping features in a DJM mixer before.

I have a SP16 and I'm not mad about this. This isn't a production unit, it is a super looper for DJ's.

Play a track, grab the drum break, play another track, process and manipulate the hell out of the drum break you just sampled.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman Young View Post
Seems like a lot of people around here have never used the looping features in a DJM mixer before.

I have a SP16 and I'm not mad about this. This isn't a production unit, it is a super looper for DJ's.

Play a track, grab the drum break, play another track, process and manipulate the hell out of the drum break you just sampled.
On an XDJ player you tap a loop intuitively with just the start and end buttons, a monkey with no rhythm can do it. But you can't do that on a DJS-1000. Other than a pitch slider and nudge buttons, there is nothing new over the SP-16.

The live looper isn't beat synced, it can't compete with an XDJ player.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

All will be revealed in the next nine weeks

Pio is either gonna stop all the yapping on these boards or completely embarrass themselves

They should just release the SP16 firmware and stop all this crazy speculation

This SP16 firmware is right around the corner
Old 20th October 2017
mp3
Lives for gear

Rather they take their time with the firmware and get it right. I like the toraiz as it is right now. Pioneer could go out of business tomorrow for all I care.

Okay that's a lie but anyway I see the DJS as a good thing for toraiz users. Don't understand the hurt feelings at all...
Old 20th October 2017
almost

Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweethome View Post
almost

don't get the coloured button hate, it's on literally every single mpc-pad style controller
Old 21st October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I would be more confident if Pioneer themselves said that, honestly the moderator @ pulse 's comemnts at Pioneer forums seems more like calming the angry villagers down than a clear positive path for SP-16 development.
Year agree. Anger or anxiety by SP-16 users may be coming from the fact DJS-1000 was omitted to be given another Toraiz name where this could be taken as Pioneer already walking away from Toraiz to focus more on their "home" DJ world.
(My guess once again is that this is just expressing DJS-1000 is focusing on DJ use where Toraiz has its own virtue)

Let's see how they would really respond in the next firmware update for SP-16.

Anyhow DJS-1000 looks neat and as a SP-16 user if I ever have a chance to do DJ I will definitely consider to be equipped with one.
Old 21st October 2017
I'll try get some interview at the ADE this afternoon
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search