The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Pioneer DJ DJS-1000
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Gosh it’s straight forward. Just been using the internal supplied samples and you can build a beat in no time. Effects seem usable. Really enjoying the step sequencer ease of use. Sounds good. Need to get into using my samples and sounds for the real test of what I want it for and haven’t tried out the live sampling or resampling yet but so far so good. It feels like the piece I’ve been looking for.
Old 17th February 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish1999 View Post
Gosh it’s straight forward. Just been using the internal supplied samples and you can build a beat in no time. Effects seem usable. Really enjoying the step sequencer ease of use. Sounds good. Need to get into using my samples and sounds for the real test of what I want it for and haven’t tried out the live sampling or resampling yet but so far so good. It feels like the piece I’ve been looking for.
Welcome to the club! In the ‘moar’ era, the Pioneer boxes are a breath of fresh air IMO. Some people call them basic, some get bored. Me, I just make another track and nod my head some more.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Welcome to the club! In the ‘moar’ era, the Pioneer boxes are a breath of fresh air IMO. Some people call them basic, some get bored. Me, I just make another track and nod my head some more.
Totally agree, it feels like someone re built an old MPC with modern tech and just stopped when it got to the point where they could make a beat. I’m just enjoying no iffy drives , boot disks or laptops involved so far. I imagine I’ll get to some limits and have a bit of a moan but that’s partly because something like Ableton becomes an internal benchmark for making noise with lol.

Next stop is sampling into the thing and seeing how that floats my boat.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Just had a session with my DJS hooked up via the monitor out of my dj mixer with a turntable and some vinyl. What a breeze to sample with and pull a beat together, all saved as a project to USB to come back to later. Then with the tempo adjust you can beat match your new creation back into the original vinyl. Bar a few tweaks required with setting levels this things a blast for creativity. I’m recording into my daw as a tape recorder to catch any nuggets for later use alongside what I render to audio out of the DJS. Best bit is that this is all from a view quick watches of YouTube tutorials and a flick though the manual. Such an intuitive UI and workflow,
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Hit a glitch with some sample pack loops not looping seemelssly , cant seem to edit it to loop nicely . Not having this issue with my own beats, just loops, all set at 1 bar so should be ok?? Any ideas?
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hit a glitch with some sample pack loops not looping seemelssly , cant seem to edit it to loop nicely . Not having this issue with my own beats, just loops, all set at 1 bar so should be ok?? Any ideas?
It's likely the sample, not the DJS. Very often with sample packs the loops don't loop perfectly and you need to change a start/end/loop point until it sits nicely.
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

I'm a proud recipient of the DJS1000. It is a fun and immediate box.

My take so far:
- the auto bpm counter is a nice tool to determine BPM of older hip hop and house records. Funk/Soul still need the tap tempo button.
- the groove and timing of this box is super nice. It can do modern trappy groove like Fruity Loops or old school SP type boom bap or Jungle.
- 4 bars is a tough limit as most verses and chrouses are eight bars. Ocasionally I'll drop the tempo in half to get 8 bars out of it.
- the LFO tied to filter cut off is a super nice musical tool

Some question for other users. I'm coming from MPC 1000, and there are some basic MPC workflows I'm still not totaly comfortable with:
- I am still not sure how to copy a sound from one pad to another (not even sure you can do this).
- how do you make a sound mono/poly/note off?
If people have ideas how to do this, would be appreciated.
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

How is this for live sampling (not after looped) instruments

Hey I was going to make a new thread but am new to website. I'm considering the DJS-1000 to make beats but also to record instrument loops into, I want to record these instruments as I play them, not after I loop / have them playing. We are using dedicated boss rc-505 loopers and they work great, but some of the advanced editing features of the djs-1000 make it look like it could provide more power/options while letting us live loop in instruments. Everything I see online is dj mixing, and recording already looped instruments, has anyone experimented with recording instruments into this live, things like queuing in the loop prior to the one and playing on the one (on your instrument), without it hard clipping, long sample loops, stuff like that?
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahkter View Post
It's likely the sample, not the DJS. Very often with sample packs the loops don't loop perfectly and you need to change a start/end/loop point until it sits nicely.
Thanks mate, think you’ll probably right . I’m going to give a few errant ones a tweak in ableton . I got one awkward one sitting nice over 3 bars with an fx at the end of the loop, bit of a happy accident as it got a nice vibe going and formed the basis for a new track
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by edencorbin View Post
has anyone experimented with recording instruments into this live, things like queuing in the loop prior to the one and playing on the one (on your instrument), without it hard clipping, long sample loops, stuff like that?
Good question - I had wanted to see if the DJS 1000 could work as an RC505 and my conclusion is that it does not.
From my experience, the DJS1000 is not good as a sound on sound looper. It's workflow is to capture a sample to a pad, then tap the pad or press the 16 step keys to place the sound in time to the sequence.
If others are having success, would be interested to hear how.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

I think I read about someone recording a guitar into it over on the djs page on the mpc forum
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

This thread don’t get a lot of love whilst the hating on the SP16 keeps coming

Just a quick jam on the DJS1000 from today, a combo of home grown samples from vinyl and some sounds transferred in from ableton via usb for live tweaking.

https://soundcloud.com/user-198948639/cmon-wip

Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fixed this - adjust time stretch to either resample or m-tempo and it loops perfectly !

Last edited by Cornish1999; 7th May 2019 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Bad typing
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

I was hoping the DJS-1000 would be a competent live instrument looper you could assign to the pads, like a standalone Push2 type of workflow. A 16 track multi tracking looper monster! I invisioned all my gear hooked up to my mixer feeding the 1000 sounds, building long ambient loops with guitars, synths, etc. and then being able to create an arrangement with muting and starting the pads. Where is this box!? Somebody needs to make it.
Old 7th May 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I was hoping the DJS-1000 would be a competent live instrument looper you could assign to the pads, like a standalone Push2 type of workflow. A 16 track multi tracking looper monster! I invisioned all my gear hooked up to my mixer feeding the 1000 sounds, building long ambient loops with guitars, synths, etc. and then being able to create an arrangement with muting and starting the pads. Where is this box!? Somebody needs to make it.
Have you seen the Akai Force?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Question: Say I'm using P-Locks on Pitch for a sequence, and some triggers are 3 semitones up. Is there a way to proportionately transpose a sequence, so that if the whole sequence is a perfect 4th higher, then the P-Locks follow along?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Hello boys

Did this whole album with just the DJS-1000, CD recorder and a microphone.

http://illgreen.bandcamp.com

Rarely here because certain members and mods discriminate Hip Hop. Been banned for BS reasons. So this place is off my radar. See yall again in another few months.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Hello boys

Rarely here because certain members and mods discriminate Hip Hop. Been banned for BS reasons. So this place is off my radar. See yall again in another few months.
Good to see you back Green! Feel free to drop some DJS tips while your here too.

That midnight sunburn track is dope btw! Nice one
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN View Post
Hello boys

Good to see ya again dude.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Got me a new DJS-1000 on Monday, and wanted to wait a few days before I heaped praise on it... and yes I really love this thing! I had SP-16 twice, I actually find the DJS to be even better build, somehow more immediate, and so inviting to just jam and play. Sounds damn great too.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516 View Post
Got me a new DJS-1000 on Monday, and wanted to wait a few days before I heaped praise on it... and yes I really love this thing! I had SP-16 twice, I actually find the DJS to be even better build, somehow more immediate, and so inviting to just jam and play. Sounds damn great too.
Do you miss the analog filter and drive from the SP, I would have liked that on my DJS, though I get round it through my A &H xone mixer to a degree
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you miss the analog filter and drive from the SP, I would have liked that on my DJS, though I get round it through my A &H xone mixer to a degree
Actually no I don't, I feel almost liberated now that I don't have to force myself to use it just because it's there. Besides, the analog filter was only on output 1/2, so it was like constantly having to decide. I love the Performance FX of the DJS-1000 even more, not just ol' filter sweeps. And these FX sound great!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search