The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motas 6 Analog Synth Desktop Synthesizers
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

Motas 6 Analog Synth

Here's a new analog mono synth coming our way. Sounds good with a nice big screen and offers patch storage. VCOs offer Phase modulation. Looks to have a 6-pole filter. Very interesting. And dual filters, plus highpass, that can be configured a number of ways. So I'm assuming serial and parallel. 2nd filter seems to be a TB-303 type. Sequencer and Arp on board as well. Even has CV to connect to your modular gear up to it. Not sure I'm digging the small buttons on this thing though. Evolver desktop buttons are the worst imo. The Oscilloscope and Spectrum-Analyser are a nice touch of this synth.

Main Page:

Motas Synthesizer

It's history and evolution is interesting to check out:

History of the Motas Project

Specs:

About

Sound examples:

Audio samples from Motas-6

And some videos:

Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear
Eh, it sounds alright.
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

At this point why would any new company make a monosynth?

Sorry guys, monosynth market is full.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Market is full? market is never full i dont hear same about modulars.
Like, Awghd yet another VCO module, sorry folks VCO market is full!
LFO market is full, sorry cow, milk market is full! Sorry folks planet earth is full!
Henry Ford 1908 qoute: Sorry folks T-Fords everywhere, car market is full, dont bother build cars
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
LFO market is full, sorry cow, milk market is full! Sorry folks planet earth is full!
Henry Ford 1908 qoute: Sorry folks T-Fords everywhere, car market is full, dont bother build cars
I'm getting over a nasty head cold, but it still feels good to laugh.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
Ok but are you gonna buy this (or even look at it) over a :

Dominion 1
Karp odyssey
Matrixbrute
Moog (pick one)
Macbeth
Dreadbox
Etc
Etc
Etc
Etc

So many monosynths oy
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Does it blend with samples

Have a new type of control intefeace

Is it the second coming of keytars

I’m just wondering why anyone Would make the effort to build a monosynth when you have all of the stuff in my above post

Even vintage monos have lost demand (I’m gonna be selling a Moog Sonic 6 (technically a duo) and prob get 30% less than if I sold it a year ago
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Tough room.
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Guru

always room for more players, plenty of money out there..
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Even vintage monos have lost demand (I’m gonna be selling a Moog Sonic 6 (technically a duo) and prob get 30% less than if I sold it a year ago
Which is great, the prices were getting stupid. (sorry for your loss)

Build something good and people will buy it. It doesn’t matter how “full” the market is.
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Maniac

3 filters including a 303 style low pass. Nice
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
At this point why would any new company make a monosynth?

Sorry guys, monosynth market is full.
Guitars.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Why would anyone buy gear anyway? Didn't they hear that the market for music is full?
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. The TB-303 I bought a year ago (technically a mono) is worth 50% more now. Keep 'em coming
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Why would anyone buy gear anyway? Didn't they hear that the market for music is full?
Nobody round here would know.

Too busy talking about making music.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Whoa man! I just looked at the manual to this.

It has loads of CV/MIDI IO
Phase Modulation on oscillators
A 1 bar pattern sequencer with P LOCKS
A vector mixer where you can morph between 4 patches
A very complex modulation system

Plenty of stuff to separate it out from the other monosynths
Old 15th October 2017
Deleted b6e9904
Price?
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

No price listed. My guess is £600.

Someone will have to email them lol.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

i love monos. but this looks a bit diy from the construction. i know they say high quality components and stuff but the wooden sides don't look too smooth, and the top metal plate is slightly smaller than the body and i don't get the panel at the back. i like the overall design but this feels like a prototype and not so much like a finished product. looks cheap and for a small boutique manufacturer i think coming up with nice designs is key and try to make everything look finished and professional.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I think I’m a bit surprised (and perhaps a bit disappointed) about a new mono when there is such a hole for keyboard samplers, polys (hopefully that’s changing), organs and stringers, and hybrid synths pushing the envelope.

I happen to respect anyone who can make an instrument and sell it, and has the vision and persisistence to build something like that, or really anything at all, but literally have no idea why they would put so much energy into building a monosynth at this point.

I guess my post seemed a bit harsh. I won’t put the time into listening to the demo, because I’m pretty sure it sounds like “we-arrrree-waahahhhhhhhhhhhr” but I do wish them luck!
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubase View Post
Guitars.
Still oversaturated - ask Fender or Gibson. Plenty of room for boutique players at the upper end, but a $50 guitar is a $50 guitar no matter whether it was made in 1997 or 2017; durable goods cannot be exploited for profit based on volume if the goods just don't break.

As far as monosynths go–they need to sound excellent and be patchable. I bought a Dreadbox Nyx recently and absolutely love it, and as I wanted something patchable for my son to learn basic concepts with (ended up passing on a slightly distressed DeepMind 12).
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post

Are these supposed to impress anyone...?
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b6e9904 View Post
Price?

when you hit buy button it redirects and says it's on sale now at red dog music, but when you go to Red Dog and search it says no items of that name exist.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Yeah, that's what I kind of thought. The videos seemed all about showing the screen in correlation to sound editing, not necessarily showing sonically what can be done. It has interesting specs, so maybe these are just bad first demos. Though that's not promising
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Head

This looks like serious competition to the dominion club and the Dreadbox medusa (once it comes out). Assuming same price bracket. I emailed them.
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Head

Got a response:

Thank you for your enquiry. Motas-6 is priced at £1250.

If you would like to order, or would like any further information then please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
--
Ouch. That is competing with dominion 1, not club. You can buy 3 Dreadbox medusas.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Yeah, that's what I kind of thought. The videos seemed all about showing the screen in correlation to sound editing, not necessarily showing sonically what can be done. It has interesting specs, so maybe these are just bad first demos. Though that's not promising
I'm talking about the basic tone coming at me from this demo. The oscillators in combination with that filter doesn't sound (yet) like something i'd bother with...
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlwolf View Post
Got a response:

If you would like to order, or would like any further information then please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
--
Ouch. That is competing with dominion 1, not club. You can buy 3 Dreadbox medusas.
Ouch!
Old 16th October 2017
Deleted b6e9904
Quote:
Originally Posted by urlwolf View Post
Got a response:

--
All I can say is... good luck to them
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Tone sounds great to me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search