The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Motas 6 Analog Synth Desktop Synthesizers
Old 17th October 2017
Kja
Lives for gear
All that **** they have crammed in there is expensive.. Especially when not bought in bulk, couple that with getting pcb's made, casing, I'm sure its all through hole and they are soldering it all together, not shipping the work out, it gets really expensive.. I bet some would be surprised of their ultra thin profit margins on something like this.. There is a lot of stuff going on in there with a master microprossecor board, three filters, three oscillators, three lfo's etc.

People say why build another mono, but if they even add three more voice boards then it will be twice the size and two grand and nobody will buy it when you can get a dsi... Then they complain about the plastic tone..lol
Old 17th October 2017
Kja
Lives for gear
Nobody complained with the fuse box that is priced similar, and analog solutions has way more buying power.
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

This wouldn't be Gearslutz if the device isn't slammed before it even becomes available
Old 23rd October 2017
Motas-6 desktop analogue synth

Just noticed this on Synth Anatomy. UK brand with a new synth.
Motas Synthesizer

Quote:
Motas-6 is a monophonic synthesizer with three analogue voltage-controlled oscillators (VCOs) with hard-sync options, phase-modulation and a sub-oscillator.
The oscillators, analogue noise source with pink/white output options and an external audio input feed into the pre-filter mixer. The oscillators are truely analogue and are definitely not DCOs.
Motas has very powerful filtering capabilities. There is a 6-pole voltage-controlled low-pass filter (VCF) with adjustable resonance to self-oscillation (with selectable 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6-pole outputs), a 2-pole high-pass voltage-controlled filter and a second 4-pole low-pass voltage-controlled filter (similar in design to a certain silver box from the 1980s..) with adjustable resonance to self-oscillation.

Purely analogue sound generation
3 VCOs (mixable triangle, sawtooth, PWM/square waves, sub-oscillator, analogue phase modulation)
Noise source (white/pink)
External audio input
3 VCFs (2 LPF with resonance, 1 HPF)
Flexible filter routing options
Lots of very high-resolution digital modulation sources (LFOs, EGs, MIDI controller, CV/gate input)
Analogue clipping distortion options
Save/load 100s of patches to internal memory
Oscilloscope and Spectrum-Analyser
MIDI/USB control
4 CV/gate inputs
Arpeggiator
Pattern generator and sequencer
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Ergonomically I think it is almost perfect.

Its pattern sequencer is deep, with a lot of functions into it. So, initially you can create a 16 steps pattern, and to adjust the pitch, velocity, duration and micro - tune of each note. This can be made in the 'pattern mode', and additionally you have and the 'sequence mode'.

In the 'sequence mode' basically you can assemble your patterns and let them play one after the other in a track. You can adjust and how many times every different pattern will be repeated on this assembled track. Basically, these track - sequences are complete bass line compositions for an entire song and up to these 16 'songs' sequences (in the 'sequence edit mode') can be saved in the internal memory. The Motas 6 has and an arpeggiator as well.

And the unit it has ‘huge’ patch user memory, allows you to save and load up to 500 individual patches and these are organized into 10 ‘’banks’’.

And 3 VCO’s ..ok this is going to be kind of expensive I guess…
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Ergonomically I think it is almost perfect.

Its pattern sequencer is deep, with a lot of functions into it. So, initially you can create a 16 steps pattern, and to adjust the pitch, velocity, duration and micro - tune of each note. This can be made in the 'pattern mode', and additionally you have and the 'sequence mode'.

In the 'sequence mode' basically you can assemble your patterns and let them play one after the other in a track. You can adjust and how many times every different pattern will be repeated on this assembled track. Basically, these track - sequences are complete bass line compositions for an entire song and up to these 16 'songs' sequences (in the 'sequence edit mode') can be saved in the internal memory. The Motas 6 has and an arpeggiator as well.

And the unit it has ‘huge’ patch user memory, allows you to save and load up to 500 individual patches and these are organized into 10 ‘’banks’’.

And 3 VCO’s ..ok this is going to be kind of expensive I guess…
£1250
Old 23rd October 2017
Quote:
oh ah yes I'll merge the threads
Old 25th September 2018
No one cares about this one? Price is roughly $1370 USD right now for those of us not expected to pay VAT.. So I can understand the silence.

I can't tell if the sound is good or bad frankly. It sounds like there's a permanent notch filter somewhere above 7 kHz.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

I think it's a little funny and ironic that this was the thread where somebody was like "the market is saturated with monosynths -- yawn", because to me this particular monosynth looks unique and amazing. With 3 filters, an individual LFO and envelope for every parameter, 3 VCO's, etc. I dare say that the modulation capabilities dwarf pretty much any other monosynth on the market, including the high-end moog ones and something roided-out like the Matrixbrute. Really, I don't think there is anything comparable. Unfortunately though I think at that price point it suffers from not having a keyboard and just being a little intimidating in general, and for the US market buying things from the UK is never an appealing prospect from a financial standpoint.
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

imo there is nothing intimidating about it.. it seems a nice monosynth.. but

1. The price may have once been viable before budget analogs flew into town, but this market expectations have changed in the last 4-5 years ...
2. its from a company we (USA) have never heard of, with no local distribution, sales or support infrastructure...its a risk.
3. Near zero user experiences posted here or on Youtube.

S0, there are plenty of monsynth options, some cheap, some flexible, some easily purchased and returned, some nicely designed, others quirky, some pretty some ugly...but all have something in common.. people have actually bought them and posted info on them.

At half the price I suspect it would get traction but at this price?.. nope...its simply an interesting, but not compelling monoynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber View Post
I think it's a little funny and ironic that this was the thread where somebody was like "the market is saturated with monosynths -- yawn", because to me this particular monosynth looks unique and amazing. With 3 filters, an individual LFO and envelope for every parameter, 3 VCO's, etc. I dare say that the modulation capabilities dwarf pretty much any other monosynth on the market, including the high-end moog ones and something roided-out like the Matrixbrute. Really, I don't think there is anything comparable. Unfortunately though I think at that price point it suffers from not having a keyboard and just being a little intimidating in general, and for the US market buying things from the UK is never an appealing prospect from a financial standpoint.
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

I really like the form factor and the tone sounds nice. There are also a lot of nice modulation options.
I WISH it was 6-voice polyphony.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Perhaps "overwhelming" might have been a better term than "intimidating"
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Old 18th October 2018
Gear Guru

I like it a lot, personally I'm always on the lookout for different synths that not so many other people might have but it's an expensive exercise and there seems to be a few good ones around. Just wish they had of built better ergonomics into the shape of the machine, it's yet another flat brick that sits flat on the desk with no thought for the user who has to bend neck and squint to see what's going on.
Old 19th October 2018
Kja
Lives for gear
It would be cool if thru put the screen on a gooseneck!
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
2. its from a company we (USA) have never heard of, with no local distribution, sales or support infrastructure...its a risk.
3. Near zero user experiences posted here or on Youtube.

S0, there are plenty of monsynth options, some cheap, some flexible, some easily purchased and returned, some nicely designed, others quirky, some pretty some ugly...but all have something in common.. people have actually bought them and posted info on them.

At half the price I suspect it would get traction but at this price?.. nope...its simply an interesting, but not compelling monoynth
That's why these would be considered boutique synths (not Roland fyi). I like boutique synths because it usually offers something different. I'm not about the typical synths.

As far as new companies go, I could care less if I've never heard of them. I would even consider that a bonus if I can see they look like they are serious and have their stuff together. As for user experiences, I could care less. Somehow people seem to want the opposite of the criteria you mentioned, but it doesn't mean jack.

Look at the Synthstrom Deluge. I preordered that thing along with other less known synths and it's one of the best experiences I've had in my life. They're fully commited to their product and customers offering constant updates. But to be honest, I bought it because the thing rocked from the beginning. Yet some people were like 'I don't know... I'm gonna wait to hear what Joe and Bob say about it'. It's like when you were a little kid and you had to ask your mom if it's a good idea or ok to do something.

Maybe I've been lucky with all the new company purchases I've made or maybe I'm a good read of what looks promising and what doesn't.

Anyways, boutique companies are what keeps the synth community interesting. I don't know what I'd do without them. For newbs or mainstreamers, you have your 'safe' companies to buy from.
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I like it a lot, personally I'm always on the lookout for different synths that not so many other people might have but it's an expensive exercise and there seems to be a few good ones around. Just wish they had of built better ergonomics into the shape of the machine, it's yet another flat brick that sits flat on the desk with no thought for the user who has to bend neck and squint to see what's going on.
Yeah, I wish more companies would put more thought in ergonomics with their products. I don't buy any of the Volcas or Boutiques (Roland) because I don't like the form factor. With that said I bought a Manther and got on well with it. But I'm not a fan of small font. That's a nemesis. I also want big buttons and knobs. I love companies that give us that. It was always a joy to tweak the cutoff on the Sub 37 because the knob was bigger and felt really good to basically play as an instrument. Sometimes I will make a compromise and buy some stuff like this such as a Tinysizer, which I find the small patch cables fine. But my favorite synths to play typically have nice interfaces, nice feeling or chunky knobs and buttons. Better font is always desired for a lot of people. Not sure why companies insist on 'put your nose on the synth' font.
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

When you play one note, the Oscillators stack, when you play 3 notes, you can play paraphony. So it intelligently will play stacked mono or paraphonically depending on how many keys you press. I think this thing sounds pretty cool and it is really flexible, much more so than budget monos out there.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

initially thought...meh. But raw analog tone with all that modulation looks great!
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Guru

I just stumbled upon this one. Seems like it would be perfect for my setup. I’ve currently got a Dominion 1, but it’s huge. Anyone own one?
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Guru

Hm. I’ll take that as a “no.”
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear

have two of them lots of possibility's and sounds alright to me deserve much more attention.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Looks great but at £1,250.00 its waaaay out my price range for a mono.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
At this point why would any new company make a monosynth?

Sorry guys, monosynth market is full.
This
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawneyBean View Post
Looks great but at £1,250.00 its waaaay out my price range for a mono.
Yeah, and with the exchange rate, it’s almost $1700 USD. I thought there was more parity. I think I’d pay $1200 for it, but no more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search