The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Tc electronics make roland juno chorus
Old 5th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Designed yes, made not; well, the PCBs are and if you're courageous enough and have an oscilloscope and have time and enough EE knowledge to know what you're doing you too can have one. But that's an awful lot of "ifs" there. It's sort of like saying "you too can wear haute-couture, the drawings of how you should cut the fabric are like, right there".

There are several levels of DIY, and this is too close to bare metal for me at least. I'd feel more comfortable with PCB + parts + case so it's just a matter of assembly, but I acknowledge that this is not possible for smaller mfgs.
In his website Tony says that he is hoping to have fully assembled rack versions for sale very soon. He is currently sourcing parts for that.

Obviously this option will be more expensive & quite likely put it out of reach of some of us. Hopefully not.

edit later: oh I see he posted himself already , great . Hi Tony!

sorry I answered straight from my email link to your quote Yoozer

Last edited by Spectralwaves; 5th October 2017 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: no
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Guru

Mono in stereo out is beautiful, stick any mono synth through it and away you go.. lets face it most analog monos don't come with effects so a delay or chorus or grimy verb is nice to have on tap with a pedal..
Old 6th October 2017
Gear Addict

Analog chorus is not supposed to work with stereo sources, it‘s more like mono to pseudo-stereo conversion. Stick to the original.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_ View Post
Analog chorus is not supposed to work with stereo sources, it‘s more like mono to pseudo-stereo conversion. Stick to the original.
Not 100% true, some are(Tri Stereo), and some of the best chorus units had stereo inputs and some are mono in/stereo out.....some of them have stereo inputs that sum which is useful as well.

The TC 1210 is one of the greatest analog chorus units of all time....true stereo ins/outs

I don't know how the chorus on the Juno is configured regarding it's inputs, as far as the circuitry is concerned....but a mono in-stereo out unit would make a lot more sense. Happy to hear that's what it is(if correct)....hope it has decent headroom as a synth chorus should.
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
How is this statement considered a "user suggestion"?

".. a user on my Instagram mentioned a stereo output like the original thing"

I interpreted this as someone, the person knew through Instagram, confirmed certain details about the pedal.

I feel that mono in stereo out chorus pedals are kind of the standard of how these things are built, and the mono in mono out ones are just cheap, and nobody really wants them.

Giving the "user account" of the pedal indeed having stereo outs a bit of credence as well as recognizing how not staying true to this design would totally ruin any attempt at replicating the design of the Juno's chorus, it makes more sense to believe it will have stereo outs imo.
Because it's sandwiched between "Hit em up with what you want to see" and "Let your voice be heard!"

And since he mentioned where the comment was, we can go check it. The only references to stereo in the comments of this photo on his instagram are someone saying "It is a dope idea ! But it needs to be real stereo output. Like the original thing !" and someone else saying "Make it stereo!"
Old 6th October 2017
can I add myself to the chorus of voices asking for stereo out...

And also ask for a 'mix/blend' control...essentially the synth market has been asking for an enhanced analogue Roland Juno chorus for years...but this mono version for guitarists is a bit frustrating...

Either that-or a alternative affordable line level analogue stereo chorus unit that can do the type of transformative rich fat chorus those machines had...
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by and you know View Post
Or the other view that made people realise that the Deepmind might have some decent synth and sound sculpting capabilities because of the inclusion of TC effects.
I have TC efx in my soundcard (now discontinued..) where I can use them everywhere.

However, if Mr. < deleted by moderator > had put this Juno analog chorus effect on his own Juno, it would have made some sense to me.

But apparently integrated digi-efx are now the new cheap 'synthesis' options when it comes to analog synths (lack of filters/lfos is no prob, we have digi-efx, yay!), the irony of which only seems to be lost on manufacturers and eager customers.

Last edited by Reptil; 6th October 2017 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: baiting - not allowed
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

As a guitar player with a mono setup, I don't see the big problem with mono pedals. But I see the lack of a blend knob as a problem.

As someone who likes to reamp synths etc through pedals, sure. But really, then you need to use reamping and proper gainstaging, requiring preamps etc. Unless people use that, I really think it's better to find a proper line-level device to begin with. Since I do use such a setup, a stereo pedal could be neat indeed, but with the general lack of knobs etc I don't find it too interesting.

Yea, I would also be 1000% more impressed if TC could use Mr. < deleted by moderator >'s cheap labor to make a new affordable TC1210. There's a stereo chorus for ya'! Made by TC..

Last edited by Reptil; 6th October 2017 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: baiting - not allowed !
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Just a heads up. I received a warning for calling Herrrrrr Behringer a nickname which simply referred to his own oft-advertised love for his Chinese manufacturing. He flaunts it here for free how great it is.

Have a nice one Behringerslutz!!
Old 7th October 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Just a heads up. I received a warning for calling Herrrrrr Behringer a nickname which simply referred to his own oft-advertised love for his Chinese manufacturing. He flaunts it here for free how great it is.

The irony when that message most likely is written with Chinese built electronics in a Chinese plastic home in Chinese made clothes. Any way, you sure are full of your self, din nød.
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don't worry George! I'm sure somebody, somewhere, one day will care.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Looks around his studio and sees most things made in CHINA..

you've done a fine job of derailing this thread too, well done. People were discussing the new pedal..
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear
A bit frustrating if this is the only video to come out of GuitCon of the June-60..

June-60 starts here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSmvOnEGll8&t=2m38s
Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
A bit frustrating if this is the only video to come out of GuitCon of the June-60..

June-60 starts here:
Not impressed, probably because there's so much dirt coming from the amp...not a big fan of excessive warble in chorus units. Need to hear it on a synth I guess.

The knockoff/ripoff pedal has some strong competition at the moment(knock your socks off chorus coming from suhr):

Old 7th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post

June-60 starts here:
Guitar players are the worst. Had to pull out when he started looping.
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
So we need to put 2 units in parallel to have it in stereo
Why?
Are there two chorus units in the Juno-60?
Old 7th October 2017
Gear Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the Juno chorus works kind of like the Roland Jazz Chorus, it takes a mono signal but outputs 2 channels, one dry and the other one modulated which creates a pseudo-stereo image.
Many guitar effects and reverbs works like that, for example most Strymon pedals. They have stereo inputs but sum both channels to mono before processing (the wet signal).
Old 8th October 2017
yup, but the problem is we dont know for definite if it has stereo outs, its def mono in...
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Addict

Interested to hear this against the mono in/stereo out BOSS CE-300
Old 8th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tore @ TC View Post
Thanks for all the cool suggestions!

The pedal is based on the original analog schematic from the Juno 60 and is 100% analog.
i wonder what BBDs you use, as original like many of that era uses the original MN300x series that run on 15V.

so far, Behringer/CoolAudio only made a clone of the later mid80s 32xx series which runs at 9V, and do not sound as good. to put it mildly.

is anyone cloning or making 15V BBDs these days?

i only know of xvive mn3005 which i bought as spares for my old delays, but reportedly they are little noisier than the originals. nothing else that i know of.

thanks
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogholic View Post
Why?
Are there two chorus units in the Juno-60?
No of course, but the point is not to be stuck with vintage gear limitations.
Today's high end gear must support full stereo in/out path.
I personally have tons of effect pedals. Only a few vintage ones had that unfortunately (e.g.: Mu-tron Biphase), and when I spend a lot of time carefully setting stereo panning of the voices (e.g.: I do that a lot on my Andromeda) I hate losing it by having to feed that into Mono-In effects.
Hopefully some modern brands have understood that and most of them propose stereo in-out now (Strymon, Eventide...)
Old 8th October 2017
Quote:
That's cool - I guess.

Before being eaten by that sad Behringer company I think they wouldn't have made a total copy like that, TC has always made their own stuff.

My first pedal was TC, the boost/distortion. Fond memories and a certain local pride came with it, knowing it was more or less a local product, made in Denmark. Real jobs, and people paid for quality. So, anyways, **** you Behringer, go **** yourself, dude please!

Having said that, I'm sure it'll sound good, albeit I doubt that TC quality is what it used to be now that Mr. China is in control. Though I guess I'd add knobs.
Yes, but TC isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to quality of taste. Most of their products are bland. Even one of their best, the 2290, lacks character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i wonder what BBDs you use, as original like many of that era uses the original MN300x series that run on 15V.

so far, Behringer/CoolAudio only made a clone of the later mid80s 32xx series which runs at 9V, and do not sound as good. to put it mildly.

is anyone cloning or making 15V BBDs these days?

i only know of xvive mn3005 which i bought as spares for my old delays, but reportedly they are little noisier than the originals. nothing else that i know of.

thanks
It's true that the mn3005/002, etc., sound better than their 32xx brethren. Not sure why- I suppose it's subtle in the big scheme of things, but the chasm between them amounts to the difference between bewitching and mediocre.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
yup, but the problem is we dont know for definite if it has stereo outs, its def mono in...
It does have mono out unfortunately, the uploaders of the above video confirmed it in the comments.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

I don't understand the point of "cloning" the Juno chorus but changing it to a mono output. Guitarists don't care about a Juno chorus pedal. How can a mono out chorus pedal be considered a clone of a stereo out chorus effect? It won't even be similar much less a clone. I suspect cheapness here. The video is a bad demo, I'm sure, but the pedal sounds terrible. TC needs to counter it with a better video pretty quickly, although this looks like a big fail to me.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Mono out = huge fail

What an idiotic design move by Behringer/TC Electronics. I'd much rather get a Boss CE-2W, or find a Dimension C pedal.

Pure stupid decision by Berhinger/TC Electronics. I can't stop shaking my head. Makes me question what other moronic "design" changes they feel the need to make.
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Whats next, a metal distortion pedal for pianos?
Did you not just describe Trent Reznor’s go-to sound design trick?
Old 8th October 2017
Gear Guru

What gets me scratching my head is that people have decided that some gear developers are like knights, making the best gear for pure honor, while other developers are like the Lannisters, trying to decimate the countryside for the sake of their gold reserves and proclivity towards incest. That makes a nice series of fantasy novels, but does not describe the real world. If you feel a company is hurting people, write to your congressperson (or what ever representation you’re country affords you) and leave it out of this forum, where it has no real place or effect.
Old 8th October 2017
Quote:
Mono out = huge fail

What an idiotic design move by Behringer/TC Electronics. I'd much rather get a Boss CE-2W, or find a Dimension C pedal.

Pure stupid decision by Berhinger/TC Electronics. I can't stop shaking my head. Makes me question what other moronic "design" changes they feel the need to make.
Other than owning music group i doubt behringer have anything to do with designing this pedal
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mono out = huge fail

Remember this post you just made the next time you feel the urge to moan about people complaining about what they feel are moronic "Design" choices with the Roland Boutique line.

Having said that, I am sorry you can't see the benefit of having a high quality mono chorus effect.

Skilled producers often track and mix mono, or at least record certain tracks in mono so they can fit better in the mix

This is even more of an issue when mixing and mastering for Vinyl

So having a mono chorus effect can make perfect sense and is simply another tool.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Remember this post you just made the next time you feel the urge to moan about people complaining about what they feel are moronic "Design" choices with the Roland Boutique line.

Having said that, I am sorry you can't see the benefit of having a high quality mono chorus effect.

Skilled producers often track and mix mono, or at least record certain tracks in mono so they can fit better in the mix

This is even more of an issue when mixing and mastering for Vinyl

So having a mono chorus effect can make perfect sense and is simply another tool.
Yeah, whatever. This is not a Juno chorus clone. It fails at that big time because it is incapable of expanding the stereo dimension of a mono synth signal. I made my point once, not fifty times in the same thread like you do. That's just plain annoying behavior any way you look at it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search