The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tc electronics make roland juno chorus
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyTC View Post
Dear Gearslutterz

Hi, my name's Scotty. I'm the new product manager for guitar and bass at TC Electronic in Denmark.
I've been following this thread about the JUNE 60 pedal and I just wanted to chime in and clear a couple of things up.

TC Electronic is a part of MUSIC TRIBE, which is owned by Mr. Behringer. This means we have access to an amazing array of shared services within the group such as a wide distribution network and fantastic manufacturing and supply services which let us provide customers with great products but at an affordable price.

However, all TC Electronic products are designed and developed in-house by the same R&D team here in Denmark that brought you all of the great classics which TC have become known for.

The JUNE 60 is a pedal that TC designed to be an excellent retro chorus for guitar and bass. The circuit is based around the chorus from the JUNO but it isn't a clone. We tweaked and changed the circuit to be most suitable for guitar and bass. Having said that, you can use it with keys and synths but it will not be the same as a JUNO. It will be it's own thing, love it or hate it.
Likely story, after failing to successfully clone the Juno chorus like everyone expected this to be.

Newsflash: we hate it, it doesn't even remotely live up to its namesake or overt branding.

It is an enormous gaffe, a vast missed opportunity, and needs to be recalled and redesigned to actually deliver upon the goal.

Because anyone paying attention to the effects maket knows 1000x more people want this to be a successful clone than some wonky derivative.

Back to the lab, Scotty, you and your team. Virtually zero guitarists or bassists wanted this, yet hordes of people actually want a Juno clone.

It's like you guys entered a paper airplane contest with a ball made from aluminium foil, and then said: no, really, we meant to make a ball out of foil.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear Gearslutterz

Hi, my name's Scotty. I'm the new product manager for guitar and bass at TC Electronic in Denmark.
I've been following this thread about the JUNE 60 pedal and I just wanted to chime in and clear a couple of things up.

TC Electronic is a part of MUSIC TRIBE, which is owned by Mr. Behringer. This means we have access to an amazing array of shared services within the group such as a wide distribution network and fantastic manufacturing and supply services which let us provide customers with great products but at an affordable price.

However, all TC Electronic products are designed and developed in-house by the same R&D team here in Denmark that brought you all of the great classics which TC have become known for.

The JUNE 60 is a pedal that TC designed to be an excellent retro chorus for guitar and bass. The circuit is based around the chorus from the JUNO but it isn't a clone. We tweaked and changed the circuit to be most suitable for guitar and bass. Having said that, you can use it with keys and synths but it will not be the same as a JUNO. It will be it's own thing, love it or hate it.

It's amazing to be able to read everyone's thoughts about the pedal on here and just to let you know, we do read the forums and we do pay notice to what customers are searching for. It's great to see so much interest surrounding this product and this thread has certainly given us a lot of food for thought.

As for customers still waiting for delivery of their pre-orders, we are trying our best to get the products to you ASAP and we can only apologize for the delay. We hope you will be very happy with your purchase when it arrives.

Best regards
Thanks

Scotty
I've been telling everyone who'll not listen that it's the style right now - there ARE alot of guitarists and bassists who want to be able to "sound like a synth". It's a current fad.

That being said, I don't know any guitarists who want to "look like a synth" and "have a name like a synth" but "sound like a tremolorus".

So, I totally understand marketing a synth pedal to bassists - I watched one buy the new EHX pedal the other day. But... this isn't a synth pedal. It's named like one and it looks like one, even though it's supposed to be a chorus pedal that sounds good with a synth, and in actuality it's a tremolorus that sounds good with guitar only if you play to the rhythm of the tremolo.

"Well then, adjust the speed knob or use the tap tempo, and turn down the depth knob. Simple, what's the problem?"

Ummmm...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear Gearslutterz

It's amazing to be able to read everyone's thoughts about the pedal on here and just to let you know, we do read the forums and we do pay notice to what customers are searching for. It's great to see so much interest surrounding this product and this thread has certainly given us a lot of food for thought.

As for customers still waiting for delivery of their pre-orders, we are trying our best to get the products to you ASAP and we can only apologize for the delay. We hope you will be very happy with your purchase when it arrives.

Best regards
Thanks

Scotty
I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel disappointed to read this.

OK, so lets move on -

Who's willing to remake/recreate/clone a Juno 6/60/106 chorus as an FX pedal? It looks like the door is still wide open for someone to grab this opportunity.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I checked out on this pedal when it turned out to be mono in. I already have three good chorus 'stereoizers' for my few mono synths. Fancying up the Juno trade dress, and then not delivering the iconic sound is sure to cause some grumpy comments.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Vrøvl!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Welcome Scotty. Thanks for taking over from Tore here, it's been a while since we had any updates really.

I think you should take this pedal off the market in its current form and rebrand it the Tremasaurus or something, for the guitar and bass market.

But since you've gotten a way towards recreating this circuit, how about doing it properly.. and enhancing it?

- Add LFO speed control (make sure it has the range to go really slow)
- Add wet/dry mix
- Add stereo (may mean doubling circuit size as the original was mono->faux stereo.. but it'd be far more useful with stereo out synths eg. DM12)
- Re-examine the chips you're using here. You mention you have all the resources of Music Tribe available, well then your team has the resources of Cool Audio to reverse engineer and recreate the original MN3009/MN3101 ICs either in discrete components or by reissuing the chips. I think this is what a lot of us were expecting, but probably based on the detail Behinger are going into when recreating synths, rather than the recent activities of TC. There would be a market in the rest of the pedal industry for these chips anyway, or for including in future synths under Behringer which would help split the costs.

Done correctly this would be a killer product. But you have to get the sound right.. you guys have a Juno 60 so you must have realised the sound was off when not using short arpeggiated notes? And there's this for reference of a guitar going through the Juno 106 chorus circuit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnhaUG2E1cc&t=21m54s

PS: while we're at it, since you've tried to recreate the 2290 in software for the TC2290-DT. How about a version of that with an ARM board inside with the software ported to that, so it can just run stand alone? Rack version in original form factor would also be welcome
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You guys really need something more important to cry about.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
I see an opportunity for effect pedal overlays.

RGB lighting can't be far off either. Maybe leave off the blue so you don't get your sleep patterns messed up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No one would bat an eye if the pedal had heen named or branded as pretty much anything else.

You can't make sh!t flavored cookies and claim it's Chocolate Chip and expect no one to say anything.

The branding of this is asking - begging - for this exact feedback. And they no doubt know it, too.

Why the tomfoolery? Full stop. Stop production. Recall them. And do them over again. Correctly.

Or rebrand these as Oops Chorus units or anything else. But keeping on with this? Why? Why oh why.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
That was the hope...

But yes, not the biggest problem any of us have.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Dear all

Hi, my name's Scotty. I'm the new product category leader for guitar and bass at TC Electronic in Denmark.

TC Electronic is a part of*Music Tribe. This means we have*access to an amazing array of shared services within the group such as a wide distribution network and fantastic manufacturing and supply services which let us provide customers with great products but at an affordable price.

The JUNE 60 is a pedal that TC designed to be an excellent retro chorus for guitar and bass. The circuit is based around the chorus circuit from the Juno but it isn't a clone. We tweaked and changed the circuit to be most suitable for guitar and bass. Having said that, you can use it with keys and synths but it will not be the same as a Juno. It will be it's own thing.

It's been valuable to be able to read everyone's thoughts about the pedal on here and just to let you know, we do read the forums and we do pay notice to what customers are searching for. It's great to see so much interest surrounding this product and this thread has certainly given us a lot of food for thought.

Scotty
TC Electronic
tcelectronic.com
Do you think that demoing it with a Juno 60 was a bit misleading then?

Also, calling it "a FAITHFUL recreation of the lush chorus found in the legendary Juno 60 synthersiser" on another official product video is also untrue then, isn't it?

If it was always made for Guitar and Bass, and you never intended it to sound exactly the same - merely similar - does this mean if Berhringer wanted to make a faithful recreation for synths that they wouldn't be stepping on your toes?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear all

Hi, my name's Scotty. I'm the new product category leader for guitar and bass at TC Electronic in Denmark.
Good luck..

Quote:
That's all well and good, but who decides what you are to design? Why has TC's development philosophy apparently changed so radically, for instance making throwbacks of other peoples' designs?

Quote:
The circuit is based around the chorus circuit from the Juno but it isn't a clone. We tweaked and changed the circuit to be most suitable for guitar and bass.
The Roland Jazz Chorus sounds pretty awesome on guitar imo, but if you can make a better one, go right ahead..

What's so weird tough, is that you decided to be highly 'inspired' (cough) with regards to the esthetics and naming convention from another company, yet, you didn't actually make it sound like one. What's the point? What's the overall idea? Are you just trying to lure less savvy Roland fans into buying a poor substitute for the real thing? I'm not sure I really get what's going on with TC.

Quote:
It's been valuable to be able to read everyone's thoughts about the pedal on here and just to let you know, we do read the forums and we do pay notice to what customers are searching for. It's great to see so much interest surrounding this product and this thread has certainly given us a lot of food for thought. ..
Like, maybe you should focus on TC's heritage and further development of same?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post

PS: while we're at it, since you've tried to recreate the 2290 in software for the TC2290-DT. How about a version of that with an ARM board inside with the software ported to that, so it can just run stand alone? Rack version in original form factor would also be welcome
It's already in the Flashback Pedals. I have the Flashback X4 sounds pretty sweet
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Hi, my name's Scotty. I'm the new product category leader for guitar and bass at TC Electronic in Denmark . . .
Hello, Scotty! And welcome to Gearslutz! I appreciate your participation in the thread (participation from manufacturers is always a nice thing for customers to see), and I apologize for the harsh critique. But unfortunately, the criticisms are well founded, and though I doubt you had anything to do with it, the highly deliberate branding is completely contradictory to the product's claimed intent.
Old 4 weeks ago
This sounds like a failure in marketing and communication. This is the first time we're hearing, as far as I know, that this was specifically designed as a guitar and bass pedal. Everything until now pointed to this being a faithful recreation of the Juno chorus.

It's too bad as I do love the look and simplicity of the pedal. If it was a clone and nailed the sound, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. I hope that y'all give this a second go with the June 60S or something. Either way, I hope that this is a hit with the guitarists and bassists for whom it was intended.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

’Tweaked for guitar and bass.’ Sounds like a rationalization for a failed design. Otherwise it makes absolutely no business sense to market it as something it is not meant to be. I think this might hurt the brand’s reputation. Or does TC stand for Trolling Customers?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Quote:
TC Electronic is a part of*Music Tribe. This means we have*access to an amazing array of shared services within the group such as a wide distribution network and fantastic manufacturing and supply services which let us provide customers with great products but at an affordable price.

Quote:

Quote:
The JUNE 60 is a pedal that TC designed to be an excellent retro chorus for guitar and bass. The circuit is based around the chorus circuit from the Juno but it isn't a clone. We tweaked and changed the circuit to be most suitable for guitar and bass. Having said that, you can use it with keys and synths but it will not be the same as a Juno. It will be it's own thing.

Quote:
It's been valuable to be able to read everyone's thoughts about the pedal on here and just to let you know, we do read the forums and we do pay notice to what customers are searching for. It's great to see so much interest surrounding this product and this thread has certainly given us a lot of food for thought.

Quote:

Scotty
TC Electronic
tcelectronic.com
Old 4 weeks ago
I am cancelling my order. I'll just find something else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanbeat View Post
It's too bad as I do love the look and simplicity of the pedal. If it was a clone and nailed the sound, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat . . .
Exactly. We all would've. We were catfished! (That hot girl on Match is really a 40-year-old bald guy.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These will be discontinued with only a few sold then in 10 years time someone will use one in a song then they will suddenly be worth thousands.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Wow. Pretty speechless really. On the other hand I respect someone from TC showing up to...err....respond to the frustration. PR nightmare I imagine.

Glad i got tired of waiting and ordered the Boss DC-2W Waza Craft. Really hope the rd-808 doesn’t go the same way as the June-60.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
you could always buy one of these instead from TC. If you don't like those cheap Roland knock-offs.
oh! wait the TC M100 is really Behringer's FEX-800 in a better looking enclosure!!

Thats true.

When you compare the technical data of both, you can see, whats equal.

But:
The FEX-800 is some years earlier on the market ... .

Is the M100 a TC or a Behringer-machine?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The circuit is based around the chorus circuit from the Juno but it isn't a clone. We tweaked and changed the circuit to be most suitable for guitar and bass ...
...Having said that, you can use it with keys and synths but it will not be the same as a Juno. It will be it's own thing.
Hmm, you should better have also informed your marketing department, which advertises this as "Authentic recreation of the legendary synthesizer chorus from the '80s"
"JUNE-60 CHORUS is a faithful recreation of the lush chorus circuit found in the legendary Juno-60* synthesizer – the iconic synth sound that fueled countless ‘80s"
https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categor...UNE-60/p/P0D8E
So something seems incredibly wrong ... who is trying to fool us here ?

Last edited by Zapman; 4 weeks ago at 09:30 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have it and actually like it!

I use it as a send effect on my mixer so I can route anything through it and at any blend level and I get that weird spacey sound I have with my Juno-60. I am actually afraid to actually A/B with the Juno but will at some point. I am mostly liking using it to give some depth to my Prophet-X at this point. Closest to that familiar sound, 50/50 on button 1 only, Button 1 seems to be closest to Juno-60 button 2.

Now despite not being an exact match, it sounds in the Roland family. I've been using the Boss CE-300 which is an Alpha Juno chorus and I can sense the June-60 is in the same family. After having Strymon, Elkorus, Boss CE-1 and CE-2, etc I never heard anything get close to that Roland sound.

Dan
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernybutterfly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
you could always buy one of these instead from TC. If you don't like those cheap Roland knock-offs.
oh! wait the TC M100 is really Behringer's FEX-800 in a better looking enclosure!!

Thats true.

When you compare the technical data of both, you can see, whats equal.

But:
The FEX-800 is some years earlier on the market ... .

Is the M100 a TC or a Behringer-machine?
I've got the FEX800 and it's surprisingly good. The M100 has a metal enclosure but fewer LEDs. Power supply changed from AC to DC too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Wrong or right, one things for sure Scotty ain’t coming back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtershmit View Post
Wrong or right, one things for sure Scotty ain’t coming back.
There has never been anyone at TC by the name of Scotty.
There is no pedal called the June 60.
Check out this new synth we're making!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear all

Scotty
TC Electronic
tcelectronic.com
FWIW, I still really like my TC Fangs Metal Distortion pedal that I've had for a month or two. I don't see any quality decrease coincident with the Music Tribe acquisition, yet. To me, it's just a solitary 'miss'.

Last edited by PuggaMahone; 4 weeks ago at 03:08 AM.. Reason: yet
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
I have it and actually like it!
You don't find the lack of a speed pot limiting?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search