The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blown away by Toraiz AS-1 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Blown away by Toraiz AS-1

I went into a music store with ONE synth on demo. I could barely stand the sight of it. It seemed to exemplify everything I hate - few knobs, membrane keyboard, ugly colors, and I have been out of love for Dave Smith since my Prophet 08. There is also the price for what looks like a toy. And when I think of Pioneer I think of car stereos.

But when I put on the headphones my experience was the complete opposite of anything I could have unexpected. It sounds amazing. Warm, phat, clean, punchy, analog, fizzy, snappy, bright and exciting sounding with the filter open. Even the membrane keyboard felt kind of fun, making a bigger deal out of each note. The slider is easy to assign and lends itself to a different type of performance from what I am used to. It sounds great with or without the built-in effects. Super easy to learn.

It's been a week now I and I am still liking it more and more. The slider and membrane keyboard work brilliantly together. The sound gels well with beats, and fits into a mix. It makes me want to write music. I can deal with the lack of knobs. It's a simple architecture. I spend as much time assigning the slider as I do editing patches anyway.

So my 3 favorite mono synths are now (in no particular order): Toraiz, Sh-101, Future Retro XS.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Maniac

I had one and it is hugely underrated, partly the name and partly the interface. It’s the Pro One 2 that the Mopho wanted to be, and it’s got a great modulation matrix too. However I just can’t gel with DSI sound, had loads too - Mopho. Pro 2, Tetra, AS-1, even the Pro One. That’s just me being odd though, I’m sure most would hear this blind and go crazy for the sound.
Old 25th September 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

I want a Prophet 5 mono plz Mr. Dave Smith
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerformimi View Post
I went into a music store with ONE synth on demo...

But when I put on the headphones my experience was the complete opposite of anything I could have unexpected.

It's been a week now...
Wow one week in a store... man that's hardcore!
Got one too... arrived 2 weeks ago, didn't open the package yet...
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerformimi View Post
I went into a music store with ONE synth on demo. I could barely stand the sight of it. It seemed to exemplify everything I hate - few knobs, membrane keyboard, ugly colors, and I have been out of love for Dave Smith since my Prophet 08. There is also the price for what looks like a toy. And when I think of Pioneer I think of car stereos.

But when I put on the headphones my experience was the complete opposite of anything I could have unexpected. It sounds amazing. Warm, phat, clean, punchy, analog, fizzy, snappy, bright and exciting sounding with the filter open. Even the membrane keyboard felt kind of fun, making a bigger deal out of each note. The slider is easy to assign and lends itself to a different type of performance from what I am used to. It sounds great with or without the built-in effects. Super easy to learn.

It's been a week now I and I am still liking it more and more. The slider and membrane keyboard work brilliantly together. The sound gels well with beats, and fits into a mix. It makes me want to write music. I can deal with the lack of knobs. It's a simple architecture. I spend as much time assigning the slider as I do editing patches anyway.

So my 3 favorite mono synths are now (in no particular order): Toraiz, Sh-101, Future Retro XS.
Those are 3 great synths. The later two are classics imo. And the AS-1 is like an expanded classic (Pro One).

So do tell, how have you gotten past the fact that there are limited knobs? Do you create your own patches or just use the existing ones? Because creating patches on the AS-1 looks like it involves lot and lots of menu diving. You could use a software editor, but those aren't that fun either. I've thought about trying one out, but think I will hate editing the menus to create my own patches.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunark View Post
I had one and it is hugely underrated, partly the name and partly the interface. It’s the Pro One 2 that the Mopho wanted to be, and it’s got a great modulation matrix too. However I just can’t gel with DSI sound, had loads too - Mopho. Pro 2, Tetra, AS-1, even the Pro One. That’s just me being odd though, I’m sure most would hear this blind and go crazy for the sound.
You're just not a Curtis guy then. I get it. Normally when I have options in the modular world for filters, I'll definitely choose something besides a Curtis design because I feel like I've heard it to death on all the DSI gear. But the AS-1 with it's VCOs, unlike the Mopho/Tetra, seems to have the Pro One vibe all around. Since you aren't a Pro One fan, it makes total sense you're not into this. I'm not a big Pro One fan either, but the modern features of the AS-1 have me looking it's way often.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
You're just not a Curtis guy then. I get it. Normally when I have options in the modular world for filters, I'll definitely choose something besides a Curtis design because I feel like I've heard it to death on all the DSI gear. But the AS-1 with it's VCOs, unlike the Mopho/Tetra, seems to have the Pro One vibe all around. Since you aren't a Pro One fan, it makes total sense you're not into this. I'm not a big Pro One fan either, but the modern features of the AS-1 have me looking it's way often.
Pretty much, and it’s whats kept me from the OB6 too. Love OB type filters - the E440 MOTM is one of the best I’ve ever heard - but having had the Pro 2 and knowing the same sort of SVF is in turn OB puts me off a bit. It’s heresy here to not love the Pro 2 and DSI, but I must be more SSM than Curtis I guess.
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Addict

I think most everyone agrees that it sounds great. Most of us are turned off by the lack of knobs and a few quirks.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunark View Post
Pretty much, and it’s whats kept me from the OB6 too. Love OB type filters - the E440 MOTM is one of the best I’ve ever heard - but having had the Pro 2 and knowing the same sort of SVF is in turn OB puts me off a bit. It’s heresy here to not love the Pro 2 and DSI, but I must be more SSM than Curtis I guess.
That's a nice filter. Have you tried the Aion 904a, or whichever is their LP filter? Actually, I don't like the mopho/tetra/P08 much. The DCOs get to me.
Old 25th September 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Why don't they make new SSM filter synthesizers? Not just DSI but others too?
Old 25th September 2017
Gear Maniac

It sounds great! Just don't bother with the sequencer or the crazy UI. It was a deal breaker for me, perhaps pioneer have fixed it by now
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Toraiz AS-1 filter is taken from that of the Prophet-6, whose discrete filter is itself based on the SSM2040 (as is that of the Filter 1 section of the Pro-2). There's no Curtis-anything about that, to be honest.
Old 25th September 2017
Lives for gear

Old 25th September 2017
Gear Addict

So how does it compares to a mopho? It looks to be essentially the same-ish approach minus the little keyboard, minus 3 sequencers and minus a sub-oscillator, and better screen. Not dismissing it here, genuinely interested.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Its pricey for a mono these days.
I own a p6 and wouldnt say its worth nearly £500 for a mono of that. bought 6 prophet 6 voices in dt form for £1500 new.
An se02 is only another £20.
reversed.... .if roland make a 6 voice version of the se02 for the same money as a p6. the p6 is out the window.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
So how does it compares to a mopho? It looks to be essentially the same-ish approach minus the little keyboard, minus 3 sequencers and minus a sub-oscillator, and better screen. Not dismissing it here, genuinely interested.
The Mopho is DCO-based with a Curtis waveshaper / filter / VCA, but no effects; the AS-1 has discrete VCOs with a discrete SSM-style filter and VCA, with built-in effects.

They're really quite different, to be honest; I had a Mopho SE and AS-1 side-by-side for a bit, and I ended up selling the Mopho SE (as it was doing more duty controlling other synths than it was actually generating sound of its own).
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
The Mopho is DCO-based with a Curtis waveshaper / filter / VCA, but no effects; the AS-1 has discrete VCOs with a discrete SSM-style filter and VCA, with built-in effects.

They're really quite different, to be honest; I had a Mopho SE and AS-1 side-by-side for a bit, and I ended up selling the Mopho SE (as it was doing more duty controlling other synths than it was actually generating sound of its own).
So the sound of the AS-1 is more pleasant than the Mopho? I would have thought they both sounded similar even if one is DCO and the other VCO. Thanks for the answer!
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

I wonder id dsi will make a mono unit based on that design, with proper knobs. It will probably cost 700 so it doesn't compete with the pioneer
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So the sound of the AS-1 is more pleasant than the Mopho? I would have thought they both sounded similar even if one is DCO and the other VCO. Thanks for the answer!
I much preferred the AS-1, by some margin.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

I'm honestly blown away away too. I had a friend get a beta / early model and say it was cool but I never really payed attention.

I just recently saw Inhalts video comparing it to a Pro One, and I was shocked at how good it sounds. If I didn't have two monos and wasn't saving up for a new poly, this would be a strong contender.
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Head

I love the sound, but hate the built in sequencer and user interface. + sync problems since its release with still no firmware to fix it…
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Those are 3 great synths. The later two are classics imo. And the AS-1 is like an expanded classic (Pro One).

So do tell, how have you gotten past the fact that there are limited knobs? Do you create your own patches or just use the existing ones? Because creating patches on the AS-1 looks like it involves lot and lots of menu diving. You could use a software editor, but those aren't that fun either. I've thought about trying one out, but think I will hate editing the menus to create my own patches.
- I start with existing patches
- It's a simple voice architecture, easy to navigate
- Hold shift to quickly dial to each block (i.e., jump to oscillator 1, oscillator 2, filter, mixer etc)
- I spend as much time assigning the touch bar as i do editing patches, which is always menu diving anyway
- I am standing up, seems to make a difference.

The touch strip is where the fun is for me. For example, assign it to close the filter a bit and turn up the phaser mix.

I downloaded the GUI editor, but don't use it much.
Old 26th September 2017
Here for the gear

I was more impressed with this than I was the SE-02.

It has limitations, but it would compliment MB33 and BS2
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll definitely need to listen to more VCO and DCO synths. DCO analog tends to sound cleaner or smoother, which is not a good thing imo. I want to hear harmonics, not sounds devoid of them.
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
You'll definitely need to listen to more VCO and DCO synths. DCO analog tends to sound cleaner or smoother, which is not a good thing imo. I want to hear harmonics, not sounds devoid of them.
The mopho is the only DCO synth I have (I think), the others are VCO, and both sound fine to me. But, you could be right, maybe I haven't listened so I can differentiate one from the other. I know I've heard that DCO synths are better for bass sounds, but in that context the Minitaur is VCO and is a monster bass synth.
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The mopho is the only DCO synth I have (I think), the others are VCO, and both sound fine to me. But, you could be right, maybe I haven't listened so I can differentiate one from the other. I know I've heard that DCO synths are better for bass sounds, but in that context the Minitaur is VCO and is a monster bass synth.
Well, opinions that you're reading are subjective. Whether or not something is good at bass depends more on the other circuitry, VCA and envelopes and even the filter. The Minitaur is specifically calibrated to sound powerful in the low end. But stuff like the Novation Bass Station can sound good in the bass dept also, but in a different way. They're just different colors of crayons. And an extension of that, you could take any bass and EQ it and excite the sound to be more pronounced too. So it doesn't end at the synth stage as a make it or break it for bass.
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

dco vco smchmeeseeohhh

neither is "better" than the other
just a different approach to designing pitch tracking

what sounds better;
a juno 60 or a juno 106?
a prophet 08 or elka synthex? ( )
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

now back to topic...

as-1 sounds nice,
is cheapish,
has issues due to interface which are due to item 2 in this list.

i like that the sound wasn't skimped on to hit a price point but interface was instead. too many companies doing it other way around for "pro audio"
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Addict
If this is one voice - Prophet 6 it can’t sound bad..but why DSI they don’t make an analogue mono with keys, even with mini keys in order to be portable. Yea sure all we have midi keyboards, and especially the Arturia keystep right now so we don’t need instruments with keys, maybe we need only boxes…we don’t need step sequencers either with that logic because the Keystep is an amazing keyboard - step sequencer, but …but…having an instrument with keys in front of you is a different feeling…

So, I understand this is collaboration with the Pioneer, so in this case the design is minimal in order to be appealing to DJ’s etc… But what if DSI they produce a mono synth with 25 keys in the near future, with a very good step sequencer…DSI, they can make a huge hit in the synth market, and they don’t have to take any risk, they can produce a small amount of units and to see what the reaction will be and after that to speed up the process.

They don’t have to make some new technological investment which costs money and energy, the only thing that they have to do is to make minimal monophonic or duophonic versions of the Prophet 6 with keys…
Old 27th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
i like that the sound wasn't skimped on to hit a price point but interface was instead. too many companies doing it other way around for "pro audio"
It's tough agree with this because I think every synth needs both, but if my arm was twisted, then I would be forced to agree with this. Basically if I liked the sound enough, I might have to force myself to go menu diving. Not ideal at all, but the end result would be what I want. Though maybe I'd burn myself out in the process and not return to using it as much.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search