The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blown away by Toraiz AS-1
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

When the internal sequencer is not running, the internal sequencer has no sync problem.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
He means if you do not use the onboard sequencer.
correct!
Thank you guys for help.
I will be safe if i buy this unit that i have no sync problem if i use my Toraiz SP-16 as a sequencer and sequence the Toraiz AS-1.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Guru

I'm confused what has the AS1 sync got to do with it if you are sequencing it externally..? you will be triggering notes externally not sending MIDI clock to it's sequencer..
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'm confused what has the AS1 sync got to do with it if you are sequencing it externally..? you will be triggering notes externally not sending MIDI clock to it's sequencer..
Sorry for my bad english.

My master for MIDI clock will be the Toraiz SP-16. To sequence the Toraiz AS-1 also the SP-16 will do the job. In this combination do i have sync problems or not in a live situation?

Hope now it is clear.
Old 6th November 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldemaR View Post
Sorry for my bad english.

My master for MIDI clock will be the Toraiz SP-16. To sequence the Toraiz AS-1 also the SP-16 will do the job. In this combination do i have sync problems or not in a live situation?

Hope now it is clear.
The answer is no.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
The answer is no.
Yesterday i ordered the Toraiz AS-1.
I will not cancel the order otherwise Mr. mp3 i come over to you ;-)
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hello AS-1 User's,

i have a question regarding sync. If i use a external midi source and change the pattern then the sync problem is still there or this happen only if i use the internal sequncer and change the pattern?

Thank you for help and answer.
So just to clarify are you sending MIDI clock to the AS1's sequencer and changing patches or are you sequencing individual notes of the As1 like a sound module..?
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
So just to clarify are you sending MIDI clock to the AS1's sequencer and changing patches or are you sequencing individual notes of the As1 like a sound module..?
Thank you for coming back on this.
Maybe i missunderstanding the whole thing.
I want to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwQYbheIOwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB_C5PfOBww

Last edited by waldemaR; 6th November 2019 at 10:48 PM..
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

You shouldn't watch Pioneer's tutorial videos. If you try to control the AS-1 patterns from another machine it will lose sync, according to what everyone is saying here. If you don't understand what this means and don't have a lot of money to spend I recommend reading more and learning the basics using free software before spending more.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I want to do this:
If this helps - I controlled the AS-1 sequencer from the sequencer of a Korg Monologue and experienced various issues that were harder to resolve than with the Mopho module I was also using. The unhelpful cc messages the Monologue puts out sometimes cause the AS-1 to freeze, which it doesn't make the Mopho do. There was some obscure setting I had to change for it to receive midi clock not on the Mopho. There seems to be a layer of Pioneer midi stuff going on which I don't wholly trust.

The AS-1 sequencer doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love, it's really a super-,funky arpeggiator that does cool things when e.g. set to odd numbers of steps.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I want to do this:
ok I see what you mean now, you should be ok as you aren't sending clock to the AS1 sequencer and triggering the As1's own internal sequencer then changing patches, you are using the AS1 as a sound module triggering notes from SP16.. you should be fine.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Nut

Just joined the AS-1 crew
Old 14th November 2019
Gear Nut

I wonder how the Toraiz AS-1 compares now that the Behringer Pro One is out?
Old 14th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises View Post
I wonder how the Toraiz AS-1 compares now that the Behringer Pro One is out?
I have both (and an original Pro One), but I haven’t compared them side by side soundwise. The AS1 has memory for a starter alllowing you to save your patches.
Old 14th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
I have both (and an original Pro One), but I haven’t compared them side by side soundwise. The AS1 has memory for a starter alllowing you to save your patches.
It would be great to hear your thoughts after a comparison.
Old 15th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
It would be great to hear your thoughts after a comparison.
Yes it sure would.
Old 23rd November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Depulse have you had a chance to do a side by side comparison yet? Really interested in your thoughts.
Old 26th November 2019
Gear Addict
Holy Cow I'm in love with this thing! Sounds sooo good!

Old 28th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Anybody tried the latest version of the Soundtower editor? I'm using it on mac, and while my knob twisting on the unit will reflected in real-time on the editor, any tweaking in the editor does nothing. I've checked that my NRPN sends and all that are fine, so not sure if there is an issue with this new 64 bit version?
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

I’m using CodeKnobs editor ... it’s great.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
I’m using CodeKnobs editor ... it’s great.

Oddly, I downloaded the code knobs editor and everything works 100%. I am guessing I'd have to chalk this up to something being configured wrong with the ST editor. I just wish the GUI of the codeknobs editor looked as polished as the ST.
Old 4th December 2019
Lives for gear

Can Tetra cover As-1's specs? What would you choose in between Tetra and As-1? (knowing that Codeknobs editor works great with Tetra)
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
Can Tetra cover As-1's specs? What would you choose in between Tetra and As-1? (knowing that Codeknobs editor works great with Tetra)
cool tunes btw

I've got both a Mopho (module) and an AS-1. The AS-1 VCO sound is more different to the Mopho/Tetra DCOs than I had been expecting. No built-in effects, but you can mess with/modulate their stereo panning in a way the AS-1's simpler architecture doesn't let you, and with the Tetra you get polyphony/multitimbrality - I can make enough of a godless racket with a monosynth that I don't really do polyphony anymore lol. OTOH performatively the ribbon and keys of the AS-1 are more immediately useful than a 'Push It' button and 4 assignable encoders. I actually still use the Mopho more than the AS-1 because I use its 'audio in' a lot, which neither the Tetra nor AS-1 have.

tl;dr - sort of, but not really
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Appreciate! I own both and I don't really need both of them...thinking of letting go one of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
cool tunes btw

I've got both a Mopho (module) and an AS-1. The AS-1 VCO sound is more different to the Mopho/Tetra DCOs than I had been expecting. No built-in effects, but you can mess with/modulate their stereo panning in a way the AS-1's simpler architecture doesn't let you, and with the Tetra you get polyphony/multitimbrality - I can make enough of a godless racket with a monosynth that I don't really do polyphony anymore lol. OTOH performatively the ribbon and keys of the AS-1 are more immediately useful than a 'Push It' button and 4 assignable encoders. I actually still use the Mopho more than the AS-1 because I use its 'audio in' a lot, which neither the Tetra nor AS-1 have.

tl;dr - sort of, but not really
Old 15th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Has anybody tried the Pro 3 yet?

My initial reaction, for the first time in my life, was 'too many knobs'

Anyway I can't wait to try it out or hear some more demos. I don' think this one does the filters justice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir_k6E17_Ps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
As for more knobs, I would be happy if they just added some shift functions to the knobs. I.e., shift-cutoff adjusts env-filter, shift-high pass adjusts high pass resonance, shift-release adjusts decay, etc.
That's exactly what I said to myself.

Does anybody know if the slider is assigned to a MIDI CC ?
Because I haven't found the answer neither in the user manual nor on internet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Does anyone have both the AS-1 and the SE-02? Are there any reasons why you would choose one over the other if you could have one of them?
Yes I have both and both sound very nice to my ears.Each of them have their own chacter,their filters are very different sounding and they have different features,so they have their place side by side.
I haven't the AS-1 since a long time so I need more experience with it,but clearly this thing is cool!
IMO it would be even better with more modulations,but I will keep this synth in the future for sure,its low pass filter is awesome and you can get nasty sounds with the polymorph and the distortion or the Ring mod.

And the SE-02,I love it since the first day,it sounds so warm and deep,its Crossmods and hardsync sound great,its delay is very musical.I will never sell it also!
It would have been so wonderful if they added a distortion aside to the Delay.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Does anyone have both the Toraiz AS-1 and Behringer Pro 1? I want to know how they both compare soundwise ..... thanks.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
Yes I have both and both sound very nice to my ears.Each of them have their own chacter,their filters are very different sounding and they have different features,so they have their place side by side.
I haven't the AS-1 since a long time so I need more experience with it,but clearly this thing is cool!
IMO it would be even better with more modulations,but I will keep this synth in the future for sure,its low pass filter is awesome and you can get nasty sounds with the polymorph and the distortion or the Ring mod.

And the SE-02,I love it since the first day,it sounds so warm and deep,its Crossmods and hardsync sound great,its delay is very musical.I will never sell it also!
I had both but sold my SE-02. They are completely different. I thought the SE-02 was my dream synth until it showed up. The XMOD section doesn't do any slow modulation, including PWM! The sequencer parameter locks hold the value until the next lock. I did love the sound. Very wild and open. I found that it was best at very frontal lead sounds. And of course basses, but I get better reactions to my AS-1 bass sounds.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post

Good assessment. I've had the AS-1 longer than the SE-02, my fwiw -at gunpoint I would keep the SE-02, basically because it's the first 3-osc mono synth I've owned and there is a sonic 'deep' there that 2-osc and sub don't quite manage, it does classic moogyness in a way that none of the other analog synths I have (Alpha Juno 2, Mopho, Monologue, AS-1) do.

But - there are so many ways in which, as a box in itself, the AS-1 is much the better purchase. They're such similar boxes in a corporate way, Pioneer/DSI vs Roland/SE and - Roland fanboiz - Pioneer win on their input irrespective of midi issues. For starters, with the SE-02 you will need to figure in the extra cost of the K-25 mini keyboard. I thought I could do without it, didn't last the weekend.

Also - the SE-02's MF MINI-JACK SOCKETS. And the global volume control hidden toy-like fashion round the back with no obvious visual way of calibrating it to anything else. And since the SE-02 has a lot of onboard mod wheel functionality, you'd'a thought for a centimetre or so of extra depth they could have given the K-25 a pitchbend and modwheel, but no, too much to ask.

Now that I've used it, the SE-02's separation of sequencer/patch makes sense and has its merits but I still think 512 fixed/128 user patch memories vs the AS-1's 495 fixed/495 user is shoddy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search