The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Blown away by Toraiz AS-1
Old 1 week ago
  #331
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

https://www.codeknobs.com/product_list.php are the best editors by a bajillion miles.
Old 1 week ago
  #332
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
https://www.codeknobs.com/product_list.php are the best editors by a bajillion miles.
Only own the soundtower ones....for As1 and Tetra...
Do you find codeknobs better than the soundtower, ones? in what regard, if any?
Old 1 week ago
  #333
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
Only own the soundtower ones....for As1 and Tetra...
Do you find codeknobs better than the soundtower, ones? in what regard, if any?
In the past, I struggled to get the Soundtower Tetra (paid version) to work. It was as buggy as hell and no support.

I currently have the following from Codeknobs:
*Tetra Programme
*Tetra Multi
*AS-1

... All work perfectly. Finally this makes the Tetra work as it should, including multi mode.
Super smooth, no bugs.
All open as VST/AU in your DAW.

Plus they all have a librarian tool built in which is an absolute dream to use.

Also, Codeknobs support is excellent. Think it's just one dude, but he typically replies to emails within an hour, in my experience.
Old 1 week ago
  #334
Lives for gear
 
badmark's Avatar
@ Sapro thanks! The Monologue (via Blackstar distortion pedal) does the bass and the AS-1 the seq/arp bit.
@ AndyHornBlower First I will have to get a midi/USB adapter that actually works.
Old 1 week ago
  #335
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by midicontrol View Post
never tried the minitaur or hades, not sure if they have as deep low end as the AS-1 for earthquaking basslines...
There isn’t much in this world that competes with a Minitaur in the earthquaking bass department. ;-)

An AS-1 is still on my shopping list though.
Old 1 week ago
  #336
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
https://www.codeknobs.com/product_list.php are the best editors by a bajillion miles.
I didn't hear about those, until recently. Now Windows 7 is on its way out, I probably won't be trying any - unless they decide to support Linux.


Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
[MENTION=401437]
@ AndyHornBlower First I will have to get a midi/USB adapter that actually works.
Yep. Connectivity is more of a problem as time goes on. OS releases break driver support, then mfrs either don't update them, or come out with something half assed, and most manufacturers of "MIDI" equipment seem to have decided we don't actually need MIDI sockets on them any more.

I have three M-Audio USB MIDI interfaces, for a PC, that are now completely useless - and an older one that still works.

I have a Roland Aerophone that only has USB out so I had to piss about making up a converter - from a ready made board that is now only sold in a multiples of 10 (I just checked), i.e. is being cleared out, but not at a price that makes it worth buying ten.

I'm still not happy about having to use that thing between the Aerophone and the MIDI socket on a synth, plus I'm now planning to re-do it so it can power my MIDI Solutions merger, which only works if the MIDI plugged into it is on 5V....

It's all a total **** up, IMHO.
Old 1 week ago
  #337
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillops View Post
There isn’t much in this world that competes with a Minitaur in the earthquaking bass department. ;-)
Minitaur is a cool synth. For me the best feature is its capability to retrigger the second oscillator each time the first oscillator starts a new wave... Meaning that you can avoid phase cancellation and have more powerful bass. Really cool.
Old 1 week ago
  #338
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
Yep. Connectivity is more of a problem as time goes on. OS releases break driver support, then mfrs either don't update them, or come out with something half assed, and most manufacturers of "MIDI" equipment seem to have decided we don't actually need MIDI sockets on them any more.

I have three M-Audio USB MIDI interfaces, for a PC, that are now completely useless - and an older one that still works.
M-Audio made a deliberate decision not to update their firmware on older stuff, even though there was nothing to stop them from having done this very easily. Seemingly it was a move to intentionally bork their own devices in the hope users would buy new stuff from them.
Absolute d**kmove and utterly counter to environmental sustainability.

After that, I've vowed never to buy their crap ever again.
Old 1 week ago
  #339
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Seemingly it was a move to intentionally bork their own devices in the hope users would buy new stuff from them...
After that, I've vowed never to buy their crap ever again.
Yep. All it did was make me think "Okay then, who else is there that makes this stuff, and is likely to actually support it?"

I'm definitely not buying anything from them new, any more. **** 'em. I'm not against buying things second hand, provided I can confirm that I'll be able to use them with what I have.

The UC33/UC33e and X-Session controllers are branded M-Audio, but that's only because they bought out Evolution, just to discontinue their products, as far as I can tell.

Fortunately, those have MIDI sockets, so I can use them without any drivers or support software. The UC33e and X-Session can dump their settings via sysex too. I have all three of those, but never bought one new.
Old 1 week ago
  #340
Lives for gear
 
badmark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHornBlower View Post
...
Yep. Connectivity is more of a problem as time goes on. OS releases break driver support, then mfrs either don't update them, or come out with something half assed, and most manufacturers of "MIDI" equipment seem to have decided we don't actually need MIDI sockets on them any more.

I have three M-Audio USB MIDI interfaces, for a PC, that are now completely useless - and an older one that still works.

I have a Roland Aerophone that only has USB out so I had to piss about making up a converter - from a ready made board that is now only sold in a multiples of 10 (I just checked), i.e. is being cleared out, but not at a price that makes it worth buying ten.

I'm still not happy about having to use that thing between the Aerophone and the MIDI socket on a synth, plus I'm now planning to re-do it so it can power my MIDI Solutions merger, which only works if the MIDI plugged into it is on 5V....

It's all a total **** up, IMHO.
Yeah, sigh. I cut my teeth on an Atari ST, so it's been quite the downhill Midi computer experience since then.

Got a Roland UM-1 that stopped working at some point, and its replacement, a UM-One that did the same. Conceptually the RME UCX midi dongles should work, but when I switched from PC to Mac last year it took 2 months for the Totalmix software to wake up, so :shrug:

That Aerophone looks cool, on the website it says something about 'Midi over Bluetooth - low energy'. Ouch.
Old 1 week ago
  #341
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
In the past, I struggled to get the Soundtower Tetra (paid version) to work. It was as buggy as hell and no support.

I currently have the following from Codeknobs:
*Tetra Programme
*Tetra Multi
*AS-1

... All work perfectly. Finally this makes the Tetra work as it should, including multi mode.
Super smooth, no bugs.
All open as VST/AU in your DAW.

Plus they all have a librarian tool built in which is an absolute dream to use.

Also, Codeknobs support is excellent. Think it's just one dude, but he typically replies to emails within an hour, in my experience.
I got the editors...I have one problem with the tetra one.
Each time I choose a new program in the database and move back to Layer for tweaking , the program jumps to Mellowbass ( the first program in Bank 1).
Do you have any idea why is that ?
Old 1 week ago
  #342
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
I got the editors...I have one problem with the tetra one.
Each time I choose a new program in the database and move back to Layer for tweaking , the program jumps to Mellowbass ( the first program in Bank 1).
Do you have any idea why is that ?
I cannot say for sure, but my best guess is that you've got some signal loop going on whereby you send a programme change to the Tetra then the synth transmits it and receives its own signal.
Triple check that you have all the settings exactly as prescribed by Codeknobs and if you have, drop them an email - their support is excellent.

In ye olden times, I used to control the Tetra exclusively with MIDI as it was more solid. Since Codeknobs, I'm now using USB to Tetra 1 (and Tetra 2 is MIDI polychained to 1). All works well.
Old 1 week ago
  #343
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
That Aerophone looks cool, on the website it says something about 'Midi over Bluetooth - low energy'. Ouch.
Mine's the first one, oddly called AE-10, which only has USB MIDI. There was plenty of room on it for a 5 pin DIN socket...

Bluetooth on any instrument is likely to be a barrel of laughs.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump