The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tr-909 X2 vs. TR-8 VS. TR-09
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Tr-909 X2 vs. TR-8 VS. TR-09

With all the moaning about how "different" the Tr-8 (909 kit) and Tr-09 sound compared to the OG units, I wish someone with the means could compare 2 or more original 909 units in a blind test with the Tr-8 909 kit and a Tr-09. Again, in a blind shoot-out posted with decent audio quality.

I actually think 1 of the 2 or more original units would be called out as "bad" compared to the supposed way the OG is "supposed" to sound and that many would prefer the new ACB reproductions without being able to see the results beforehand. I do not have possession of any of these vintage units but am interested in the new boutiques. For now, samples are good enough for me but I always am on the lookout for some new inspiration in hardware.
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

I had a TR-8 and now a TR-09 and the difference is very small, the hats on the 09 are more clunky like on the OG.
Old 3rd April 2018
Here for the gear

I own a 909, and I played a TR-09 at Guitar Center for a while the other day.

The TR-09 is trash. Sounds like trash, sounds thin as hell, tones are just off, no depth, etc. It's what you'd expect for being a tiny little digital box. That, or the keyboard amp (I think it was a Behringer) that it was plugged into was truly *that* bad, but I don't think the amp had that much to do with it. The TR-09 is nowhere near the original in terms of separation of all the sounds in the mix, depth of the kick, depth of the clap, smoothness of the hi-hat, and so forth. But then again, do you want to spend $3k on a drum machine, or $400 on a toy?
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferstarship View Post
That, or the keyboard amp (I think it was a Behringer) that it was plugged into
Trash... No depth... Thin as hell... sounds off. Strong opinion for such an exacting listening environment.
Old 3rd April 2018
Im sure its about the same as the differences between the 808 and 08. Passes the 5 minute test, then you start noticing quirks.
Old 3rd April 2018
Deleted 7ad91e3
Quote:

The TR-09 is trash. Sounds like trash, sounds thin as hell, tones are just off, no depth, etc. It's what you'd expect for being a tiny little digital box. That, or the keyboard amp (I think it was a Behringer) that it was plugged into was truly *that* bad, but I don't think the amp had that much to do with it. The TR-09 is nowhere near the original in terms of separation of all the sounds in the mix, depth of the kick, depth of the clap, smoothness of the hi-hat, and so forth. But then again, do you want to spend $3k on a drum machine, or $400 on a toy?
Amen to that...I've blind tested a so called analog based TB-303 clone with the original 303 in a pro studio environment. Any time he switched I could tell instantly the difference...and that clone was analog...

While one may think there is not a lot of tech stuff in a TB-303 ongoing it is obviously enough to make a huge difference in sound...not to talk about the big boxes aka 909, 808...

Get over it...you'll never going to get the original TR sound of any of these boutique boxes as long as you dont get a honest 1to1 reproduction. NO one (the least of em all -> behringer) is going to do that because all companies are just into cheap production and easy money. They couldnt give less about the sound. They only care about cash....aka chinese production with lowest budget components produced by slave labour.

Thats why they need to keep on packing these cheap repros into look a like shapes and brainwash people with marketing. Its amazing how many idiots out there fall for it.

Also...it is a easy thing to get a "opinion" leader a la "egyptian lover" to speak online about how great these boutiques are as long as you give em cash...

The TR8s sounds so amazing bad and one need to be deaf not to hear a difference to the original 808/909...anything above 100.-- Euros for any of these boutique clones is a pure rip-off...The cost of marketing magic is the bigest part of what you pay for these days. Thats how they compensate for the bad quality....and again...people fall for it...for the looks and the hype.

The original boxes are instant magic. One needs to hear and experience them in a live situation to be able to catch up the vibe and because of that "magic" vibe these boxes were able to define a whole generation of great music.

House made a instant down turn in the late 80ies when digital synths came into play. The magic of House came back with strictly rhythm, nervous or nu-groove and artists who kept on using the real stuff for music production.

Face it...you'll never going to see epic releases with these toys. You'll get what you pay for...that trend is massively influenced by a new generation that was raised into chinese overproduction. The soundtrack to this generation should be something like "I deserve free ****"...

People need to start once again to appreciated quality and understand that quality comes at a price. It is part of the joy to save up for a quality device that is going to deliver quality results over long time.

Behringer by the way should be convicted for charlatanism...thats how bad it is...meanwhile Roland is making a living on its legacy for ever and ever by relaunching 808 and 909s wannabe toys...
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Addict
I have a tr909 and a nava 909 and sold a tr-8. tthe tr-09 and tr-8 are rubish. the nava sounds pretty spot on. if you really want the 909 sound and dont want to spend the cash on a original get a nava!
Old 3rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post

House made a instant down turn in the late 80ies when digital synths came into play. The magic of House came back with strictly rhythm, nervous or nu-groove and artists who kept on using the real stuff for music production.

Lol, this is nonsense! The best house tracks were made on Amiga's with 8/12bit samples and digital sounds like Korg Wavestation, Roland D50 and Yamaha DX7.

2 live crew, which has the fattest 808 beats on earth were progged on a Boss DR880.

It is just not true what you stated, most house is sample based and digital. (remember the octamed tracker era?)
Sure there are analog only housetracks but not all and not even the majority I think.

Alpha Juno's riffs were sampled and cut up in many pieces to get some weird fx (like Beltrams mentasm etc)

In fact, when I think of house music I think of digital synths and samples. Ok, most times the drums were a straight up TR808/TR909 combo, but not the synths.

Or you must mean some other kind of house music.....
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

LOL! You were listening on a keyboard amp and you could hear lack of depth? Try it on a set of decent speakers then report back...........
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Nut

Wasn't there for the original 909, but the TR-09 sounds pretty damn good through my bass amp, mixed w/a couple of analog synths--it provides plenty of punch and clarity (at low to moderate volume) - the only thing it's lacking is a proper power supply, and more outputs (which I'm ok without).

These things went on sale last year - you could find a TR-09 for less than $300.. at that price, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I suppose I wasn't spoiled by the originals, their supposed 'superior' sound doesn't factor in my enjoyment.
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Tr 09 and tr 08 sounds way better than tr 8 kits. In fact Roland Tr8 is the worst clone ever created. Cant believe people cant hear the dif.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic View Post
2 live crew, which has the fattest 808 beats on earth were progged on a Boss DR880.
Ummmmm...
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear
The TR-09 and TR-08 are better than samples, good enough.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

My feeling is these days you can do much more with samples, but it's the play flow (I hate the term workflow, slacker me) that's just as much a part of the music, and all the modern devices provide plenty of that.

If you can't enjoy the miniaturization on the -08 and -09, either the TR-8 or -8S are perfectly fine, and provide plenty of variety, as well as access to other Roland vintage drum sounds.

Are any of them exact replicas of the originals? No. But they don't have to be.

The 909 is honking big! The MV-8000/8800 even bigger! Unless you live in a castle, these days, they have to be your one and only instruments to merit the amount of space they take up.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhocan View Post
Tr 09 and tr 08 sounds way better than tr 8 kits. In fact Roland Tr8 is the worst clone ever created. Cant believe people cant hear the dif.
You owned all three?
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
You owned all three?
obvious
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Welcome to GS.
Nice of you to join solely to post these thoughts.
Old 3rd April 2018
I own a 909, 808, 707, and 727 and have a TR-8S on order. Not sure if I will bother doing a comparison. I don't have the equipment to do a proper video, so it would either be camera mic quality or no video just high quality audio samples. Do people still really care how much these new machines sound like exactly like the originals?
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear
Yes
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Half this thread reads like an OG unit plug to sell on eBay
Old 3rd April 2018
Deleted ea69e11
Quote:

not according to the guy who made them. only mentions using an 808 with 2 live

Red Bull Music Academy Daily
Old 3rd April 2018
??? DR-880 didn't exist when 2 Live Crew were making albums. DR-660 didn't even exist when "As nasty as they wanna be" came out.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by f33 View Post
not according to the guy who made them. only mentions using an 808 with 2 live

Red Bull Music Academy Daily
I don’t know what Mr Mixx stated in this interview, but he’s stated before they used an 808 sampled into an SP-1200, along with an 909, early on.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

@ akai612 : I almost fully agree with you. Few here would appreciate you messing with their blind dreams of producing great sounds on low budgets.

Question the wrong brand and corporate shills will egg on the lifelong fanboys to go for the jugular. So, tread lightly.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Ummmmm...
This has me bemused also, seems like the boss machine he mentioned is a modern box, I was listening to 2 live crew in 85, I'm sure he mixing it up with the other little boss machine used around that time, but I'm sure 'what I like' etc was an 808...
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Welcome to GS.
Nice of you to join solely to post these thoughts.
I think someone's had a puncture so he came in on his starship instead...
Old 3rd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
??? DR-880 didn't exist when 2 Live Crew were making albums. DR-660 didn't even exist when "As nasty as they wanna be" came out.
I always figured they had access to a time machine. Makes perfect sense to travel into the future to buy a cheapo unit that uses samples instead of just buying the original at the time they were still fairly cheap.

Thinking outside of the box, it's what the innovators do.
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
@ akai612 : I almost fully agree with you. Few here would appreciate you messing with their blind dreams of producing great sounds on low budgets.

Question the wrong brand and corporate shills will egg on the lifelong fanboys to go for the jugular. So, tread lightly.
Conspiracy theories aside...

There's already been some big name artists and producers that have owned up to "producing great sounds" on even higher budgets with the TR-8.

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing people have or are currently producing great sounds with the TR-08 and the TR-09 that are or will be hits? And likely to with the TR-8s?

As far as what sounds better? The OG always wins no question about it. There's always going to be some little something that it does that sounds a little better for sure. It's the gold standard to which all others are to be judged. And they all sound slightly different so even an exact clone of one is bound to fail up against others.

As far as creating facsimiles for say recreating old soundtracks to movies or doing a dated sounding recording? These come close and I highly doubt the end listener would be able to discern a slight change in a hihat response or an accent not up to par with the OG.

As far as creating brand new innovative music? It doesn't matter.
Old 3rd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
This has me bemused also, seems like the boss machine he mentioned is a modern box, I was listening to 2 live crew in 85, I'm sure he mixing it up with the other little boss machine used around that time, but I'm sure 'what I like' etc was an 808...
Yeah sorry about that, I meant the DR660
Old 3rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah sorry about that, I meant the DR660
I think you mean dr-110 or dr-55, they had an 808ish sound each.
📝 Reply