The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tr-909 X2 vs. TR-8 VS. TR-09
Old 4th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i think he used a Casio FZ-1 sampler?
I could see that, and that is an oft forgotten gem. I know domino (souls of mischief/hieroglyphics/casual) used the FZ for all their classic stuff.
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

This whole comparison thing is horse ****. The 808 kick and snare are the 2 most important sounds in the kit and they've been sampled and emulated countless times; same goes for the 909 and probably every other drum machine ever made. You don't need the original drum machines to make good songs, but you do need skill and talent. Like someone said earlier; the listeners don't give a flyin' fcuk how producers make the music...it seems time and time again these 808 'prima donnas' have to flap their gums to compensate for their lack of skill and talent. If you can't make a hot beat with the emulations, you sure as hell won't be making one with any drum machine- including an original Roland 808 or 909 drum machine. Shut up already and hone your craft- if you can...ffs
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

If you dont care it dont matter.

Had the OG 808 for a minute-
Attached Files

808 original.-1.mp3 (2.73 MB, 768 views)

Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
This whole comparison thing is horse ****. The 808 kick and snare are the 2 most important sounds in the kit and they've been sampled and emulated countless times; same goes for the 909 and probably every other drum machine ever made. You don't need the original drum machines to make good songs, but you do need skill and talent. Like someone said earlier; the listeners don't give a flyin' fcuk how producers make the music...it seems time and time again these 808 'prima donnas' have to flap their gums to compensate for their lack of skill and talent. If you can't make a hot beat with the emulations, you sure as hell won't be making one with any drum machine- including an original Roland 808 or 909 drum machine. Shut up already and hone your craft- if you can...ffs
Totally agree !
Old 4th June 2019
Quote:
its horse**** to compare a Behringer clone of an 808 to a real 808? Does that line of logic also extend to the Boog Model D? It all matters. Some things more than others, but it all matters. If I want an 808 sound and I fire up my RD 808 and it cant do that sound then seems a bit of a waste no?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a forum to discuss equipment preferences. I don’t see how it could become more simple.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7ad91e3 View Post
House made a instant down turn in the late 80ies when digital synths came into play. The magic of House came back with strictly rhythm, nervous or nu-groove and artists who kept on using the real stuff for music production.
I’d say that the vast majority of that era of NY/NJ house was done on samplers not real 808s and 909s and analog synths. Even Detroit stuff like Carl Craig was using R8s for these sounds. There were real ones around for sure but as soon as sampling became hot that was what the majority of that music used. There’s a picture of the Burrell Brothers studio around that era and it’s almost all digital. R8, samplers, ROMplers, etc.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
its horse**** to compare a Behringer clone of an 808 to a real 808? Does that line of logic also extend to the Boog Model D? It all matters. Some things more than others, but it all matters. If I want an 808 sound and I fire up my RD 808 and it cant do that sound then seems a bit of a waste no?
It doesn't matter to those who know how to achieve any drum sound or producing technique they want.
I can think of 3 drum machines right now which easily and accurately emu an 808's kick- including the tone and long decay- and I'm not even including the RD 808 in that list- and you (or anyone else for that matter) would be only guessing about which is the an original 808 kick in a blind test.
As I said before, those who whine about truly irrelevant things like 1:1 emus are just looking for excuses as to why they can't make relevant music.
Old 5th June 2019
Quote:
It doesn't matter to those who know how to achieve any drum sound or producing technique they want.
I can think of 3 drum machines right now which easily and accurately emu an 808's kick- including the tone and long decay- and I'm not even including the RD 808 in that list- and you (or anyone else for that matter) would be only guessing about which is the an original 808 kick in a blind test.
As I said before, those who whine about truly irrelevant things like 1:1 emus are just looking for excuses as to why they can't make relevant music.
I’m guess it could be possible that someone is looking to hold Behringer responsible for the relevance of their music. It also seems that a 1:1 emulator is not a priority for you. I think it’s a false dichotomy to say that just because you do care that they get some things right that you are looking for excuses about your music. For me, I don’t want to make room for a piece of gear that doesn’t meet my expectation. For other folks it’s something else. Gearslutz tends to foster this sort of conversation.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
Know what you want

Comes down to knowing what sound is right for what you are trying to achieve.

I made a beat the other day, Kick drum DSI Tempest, HiHats Jomox Airbase, snare was a combo of stuff made on synths and samples locked together and fired off as a sample.

No one drum machine is going to give a composer everything they want tonally.
Comparison without a musical context is fruitless.

The quality of a sound is not just measured as either good or bad. For example a cheap thin sounding thing can cut through a mix like a hot knife through butter sometimes. A TR909 might be exactly the wrong thing for your track. A more plastic sound might be better in that context

So comparisons and opinions are going to vary wildly depending on intent.
Depending on what your intent is either Tr09 or a TR909 may fit the bill.

I just wish my Tempest could cover all my drum stuff but just cant get the hats to sound like the Jomox... It dose a pretty good 808 impression though.

I would like to try the Nava.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akai612 View Post
Thats why they need to keep on packing these cheap repros into look a like shapes and brainwash people with marketing. Its amazing how many idiots out there fall for it.

Also...it is a easy thing to get a "opinion" leader a la "egyptian lover" to speak online about how great these boutiques are as long as you give em cash...

The original boxes are instant magic. One needs to hear and experience them in a live situation to be able to catch up the vibe and because of that "magic" vibe these boxes were able to define a whole generation of great music.

House made a instant down turn in the late 80ies when digital synths came into play. The magic of House came back with strictly rhythm, nervous or nu-groove and artists who kept on using the real stuff for music production.

Face it...you'll never going to see epic releases with these toys. You'll get what you pay for...that trend is massively influenced by a new generation that was raised into chinese overproduction. The soundtrack to this generation should be something like "I deserve free ****"...

People need to start once again to appreciated quality and understand that quality comes at a price. It is part of the joy to save up for a quality device that is going to deliver quality results over long time.
While I appreciate the sonic grain of original gear, I must mention that they were originally used not because they sounded so "good", but because at that time they were cheap since digital was just coming up, and everybody was selling their analog gear to buy digital synths, so lots of analog gear were on the used market.

In addition, house prods who could afford it would have no problem using digital gear. For example this fine 1994 house track:

with below a comment by one of the producers of the track: "Boy, this brings back memories. Doug and I made this entirely on the Ensoniq EPS-16 Plus."

Unless I am mistaken, the Ensoniq EPS-16 Plus is a digital sampler/workstation.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Doug and I made this entirely on the Ensoniq EPS-16 Plus.[/I]"

Unless I am mistaken, the Ensoniq EPS-16 Plus is a digital sampler/workstation.
Well this is certainly not what i would immediately associate with the eps but hey......But its a far high quality machine than most samplers nowadays imho
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Many pioneering house and techno producers used the Roland R-8. No one would ever know.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Many pioneering house and techno producers used the Roland R-8. No one would ever know.
As much as i absolutely lived and loved my R8 with cards......It did not have the dusty feel and grit of the originals.Very precise machine.Very clean.Very hifi.But it did not do an excellent version of the 808 or 909.It uses samples.Clean ones (for its time)Thats fine,no problem.Its a very digital box.Its all in the processing after the fact.

edit-the 808 i had sounded and felt like an old train rolling down the tracks .....
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
As much as i absolutely lived and loved my R8 with cards......It did not have the dusty feel and grit of the originals.Very precise machine.Very clean.Very hifi.But it did not do an excellent version of the 808 or 909.It uses samples.Clean ones (for its time)Thats fine,no problem.Its a very digital box.Its all in the processing after the fact.

edit-the 808 i had sounded and felt like an old train rolling down the tracks .....
Absolutely this. The 808 crackles with electricity. The 909 has a pounding bounce. Both had a driving, pulsing groove. The R8 was like a cd player, and it's clock was hopeless.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Absolutely this. The 808 crackles with electricity. The 909 has a pounding bounce. Both had a driving, pulsing groove. The R8 was like a cd player, and it's clock was hopeless.
...yet so many classics probably used one and nobody questioned it. didn't 'Vogue' use the R-8 for the 909 sounds? i don't think many people were actually going out and buying an original vinyl copy of 'Color Him Father/Amen Brother' either.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...yet so many classics probably used one and nobody questioned it. didn't 'Vogue' use the R-8 for the 909 sounds? i don't think many people were actually going out and buying an original vinyl copy of 'Color Him Father/Amen Brother' either.
Yep literally countless classics have used it. That’s why these ppl are funny to me.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

No you must use the originals.Analog to tape and pressed fresh to vinyl.And played at the right time of night to a certain audience.Keeping it real
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Aww hellz naw. Next I'll be told psk was named after the sk1 that provided drums
📝 Reply