The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer, please make a sequencer
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
But what can a hardware sequencer do better than a software sequencer?
The different user interface and features(or lack of) lead to different workflows and different results. I often prefer hardware sequencers for generating and writing patterns and software sequencers for arranging.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
But what can a hardware sequencer do better than a software sequencer?
they have physical knobs & buttons, that make the workflow far more immediate.

i decided to go completely hardware after i tried to perform with my favorite software sequencers and touchscreen. it's night vs day.

quite many software sequencers have Launchpad support, but anyway it does not work THAT flawless as hardware sequencer, and anyway it's always a certain limited set of operations that can be done vial Launchpad, not each and every operation that the sequencer is capable of.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Behringer !
Please don't waste your R/D resources on this idea.
Everyone has the ultimate MIDI sequencer in their computer, there are enough MIDI to CV hardware solutions.

*Yes i know that there is some demand for such a device, but it is not big enough to sell tens of thousands of units.
Yes it is going to sell, please move on if you're not interested.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
It was an ambiguous pronoun in my wording.
You monster.
Old 6th February 2020
Lives for gear

Just bumping this thread with some feature requests:

My ideal sequencer would include:

- real-time and step sequencing options
- polyphonic capable
- multiple "tracks"
- CV1 (pitch), CV2 (veloc / mod), Gate, and MIDI out for each "track"

- ability to dynamically split sequences between outputs, to that notes/events can be split round-robin or via note/velocity thresholds between different synths

- OR, ability to automatically divide a sequence between different tracks according to different rules (e.g. by key splits, velocity ranges, alternate notes, by dynamically allocating notes within chords to tracks, etc.)

- ability to offset tracks against each other, either by a fixed amount of time, or by a variable amount (to create phase-shifting effects)

- ability to overdub controller changes and then re-map controller data

- MIDI 2.0 compatibility
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear
Squarp seems to have a lot of bugs and annoying limitations, from what I've read. Price-point under $500 please.
Old 16th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Just bumping this thread with some feature requests:

My ideal sequencer would include:

- real-time and step sequencing options
- polyphonic capable
- multiple "tracks"
- CV1 (pitch), CV2 (veloc / mod), Gate, and MIDI out for each "track"

- ability to dynamically split sequences between outputs, to that notes/events can be split round-robin or via note/velocity thresholds between different synths

- OR, ability to automatically divide a sequence between different tracks according to different rules (e.g. by key splits, velocity ranges, alternate notes, by dynamically allocating notes within chords to tracks, etc.)

- ability to offset tracks against each other, either by a fixed amount of time, or by a variable amount (to create phase-shifting effects)

- ability to overdub controller changes and then re-map controller data

- MIDI 2.0 compatibility
Might as well be a Cirklon for a price of 299
Old 16th February 2020
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
Playing flute this way actually takes skill. When i first started i was hitting all sorts of bum notes.
Bum puns are tight!
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Might as well be a Cirklon for a price of 299
I'm not sure if this was covered:

- the ability to set each cv/gate to different time lengths

So

Seq1 is 8 steps

Seq2 is 8 steps, but I want to play it half-time irrespectively of Seq1.

Seq3 is 8 steps, but I want to play it on triplets.

Seq4 is 8 steps, but I want to play it at double-time.

--then there are other points - can the "step of the sequencer" remember the values that are changed on the knobs. Can the sequencer interpolate between value 0 to 127 for each step so to be able to allow changes per step? as it's recorded. ram buffer?

Seq5 is 8 steps but I only want to play one note every 4 measures.

Seq6 is 8 steps but I want to extend it infinitely - i.e. a long sample.

Seq7 is 8 steps but I want to speed the bpm up so as to put more "steps" in the sequence so my 8 step "normally" is now "256 steps" to allow the ability to do micro-timing.

I have other ideas... but - why post them.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Imagine something like this but more streamlined:
well, you can add a sampler in there while you're at it, it wouldn't cost much more.

Old 17th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by naos View Post
well, you can add a sampler in there while you're at it, it wouldn't cost much more.

levity is good - sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer, please make a sequencer-doesntmakeanysense_zpsd7a2dc49.gif  
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY___ View Post

So

Seq1 is 8 steps

--then there are other points - can the "step of the sequencer" remember the values that are changed on the knobs. Can the sequencer interpolate between value 0 to 127 for each step so to be able to allow changes per step? as it's recorded. ram buffer?

Seq7 is 8 steps but I want to speed the bpm up so as to put more "steps" in the sequence so my 8 step "normally" is now "256 steps" to allow the ability to do micro-timing.

Nice. Hardware sequencers should also be performance systems, so lots of assignable panel controls would be a good idea.
Old 17th February 2020
Quote:

So

Seq1 is 8 steps

Then it might as well be a Schrittmacher for the price of 299 (Although Schrittmacher is only 4 lanes of 16 steps, but can do different timings, note lengths etc per row, but is a rather limited sequencer and expensive at 1100 euros and has never had an OS update since it's release as Manikin Electronic don't give a sh1t about their products anymore)
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Perfect. This could also double up as a great daw mixer controller. There is just about nothing available with a lot of knobs per channel and faders.
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
Zaquencer is cheap, well designed.
I'd just like them to start making the Behringer BCR2000 again, the only ones available are some creaky looking examples on eBay.
Old 17th February 2020
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:

So

Seq1 is 8 steps

I don't know of any hardware sequencers that can do all that, but if you have some money to spend you could get mostly there with either . . . .

2 Moon Modular 569s

plus a Moon Modular 554 clock divider

and if you also want to control MIDI synths you'll need one or two Moon Modular 552 CV to MIDI converts

and you'll want to add a good clock source oscillator, probably some of the 569's accessory modules, and cases and power supplies etc etc Biggest downside here is there is no memory at all, you have to dial in everything as needed.
http://www.lunar-experience.com/sequencers.html

OR

Two or three Grp Synthesizer R24 sequencers

These have the ability to save the CV, gate, and other settings into one of 64 memory locations plus built in MIDI DIN and USB and includes the desktop case, power supply and rack ears for the price. The rows aren't as externally independent as the Moon 569 but the R24 has built in dividers so a majority of what one might want to do can be accomplished?
http://www.grpsynthesizer.it/index.p...er-r24-en.html
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Addict
So? What makes this so complicated for everyone - yet bet the universal point to make intricate music? I mean... can we talk this out on how to get sequencers better? Can we talk about what we all need?
Old 21st February 2020
Gear Addict
I.E. problem with the Behringer Sequencer - GOOD(has banks/patterns - I can record into the pattern (yet not live yet)) - But when I press "PLAY/STOP - then PLAY AGAIN" the pattern continues where I left off. For live play this should be an option because if you press play you expect the pattern to start at 0 or start. However I see where this option is good - so maybe a firmware setting to "set pattern to start at 0 on play or continue on play"?
Old 21st February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I don't know of any hardware sequencers that can do all that, but if you have some money to spend you could get mostly there with either . . . .

2 Moon Modular 569s

plus a Moon Modular 554 clock divider

and if you also want to control MIDI synths you'll need one or two Moon Modular 552 CV to MIDI converts

and you'll want to add a good clock source oscillator, probably some of the 569's accessory modules, and cases and power supplies etc etc Biggest downside here is there is no memory at all, you have to dial in everything as needed.
http://www.lunar-experience.com/sequencers.html

OR

Two or three Grp Synthesizer R24 sequencers

These have the ability to save the CV, gate, and other settings into one of 64 memory locations plus built in MIDI DIN and USB and includes the desktop case, power supply and rack ears for the price. The rows aren't as externally independent as the Moon 569 but the R24 has built in dividers so a majority of what one might want to do can be accomplished?
http://www.grpsynthesizer.it/index.p...er-r24-en.html
No need to spend silly money on all those above. Behringer has already made a Eurorack sized 960 sequencer and will be offered for sale at 99 bucks. As they are part of Behr's System-55 set of modules.

Old 21st February 2020
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
I.E. problem with the Behringer Sequencer - GOOD(has banks/patterns - I can record into the pattern (yet not live yet)) - But when I press "PLAY/STOP - then PLAY AGAIN" the pattern continues where I left off. For live play this should be an option because if you press play you expect the pattern to start at 0 or start. However I see where this option is good - so maybe a firmware setting to "set pattern to start at 0 on play or continue on play"?
With a 960 style sequencer you just send a gate to the step you want to reset to, either when you first start the sequence or when you stop the sequence. While the 960 is a fantastic sequencer it's fairly "primitive" by today's standards and even back in the day really needed some external modules to improve its usefulness like a sequential switch (962), a way to selectively combine gate outputs (961 or 963), and maybe a quantizer and an external gate sequencer etc etc

Consider that the 960 only steps forward by itself. One of the best accessory modules for the 960 (in the 5U world) is the COTK C961S, which can be used to force a 960 to do reverse, ping-pong, and random patterns etc. Here's a demo:

Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
With a 960 style sequencer you just send a gate to the step you want to reset to, either when you first start the sequence or when you stop the sequence. While the 960 is a fantastic sequencer it's fairly "primitive" by today's standards and even back in the day really needed some external modules to improve its usefulness like a sequential switch (962), a way to selectively combine gate outputs (961 or 963), and maybe a quantizer and an external gate sequencer etc etc

Consider that the 960 only steps forward by itself. One of the best accessory modules for the 960 (in the 5U world) is the COTK C961S, which can be used to force a 960 to do reverse, ping-pong, and random patterns etc. Here's a demo:

Oh?! That is very interesting!
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict
I still do not understand why all these basic features are not possible in this day-in-age?

"
Seq1 is 8 steps

"

It's apparent that all of these features are available with the new Elektron Model:Cycles -yet - that would be great for Behringer to accomplish.
Old 27th February 2020
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
I still do not understand why all these basic features are not possible in this day-in-age?

Seq1 is 8 steps

Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

Actually, Thank you - I did not realize why I passed these by - Thank you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search