The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why are nowadays synth fans like that?
Old 19th August 2017
Why are nowadays synth fans like that?

Why are synth fans so lifeless and anti-rock'n'roll today
that not a little scratch is allowed on their synth (aka investment object)?

What kind of "music" do people do, whos gear looks mint even after years?

This is really something that's frightening me... honestly!
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Let me guess: you're trying to get a thousand bucks for a Korg M1 covered with drool, missing most of its slider knobs, with cigarette burns on the keys, but no-one wants it?
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Let me guess: you're trying to get a thousand bucks for a Korg M1 covered with drool, missing most of its slider knobs, with cigarette burns on the keys, but no-one wants it?
+ cat vomit/hairball residue on outputs.
Old 19th August 2017
Haha, good one

Not really, i am looking at the scratches in my (firsthand) Matrixbrute and Xenophone or my (second hand ) Voyager that already had some "patina" when i got it and think:
Others would literally cry if it were theirs.

I am close to 50 and if i think back how gear looked until the 80s...
It kinda slowly changed in the 90s.

Imagine Jimi Hendrix with a mint guitar. Jesus...
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

I think it's because nowadays most keyboards, and especially most synths and modules, are used in home studios.
They simply never get out to gig.
The worst you have to worry about is if it was left for years without any cover, to gather dust and smoke...

Less glamorous for sure, but much better for the used market!
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Hey, they don't make 'em like they used to
Old 19th August 2017
Maybe because it makes them more difficult to re-sell. Keyboards that are gigged constantly are a lot more expendable/committed and usually end up with some kind of decals or logos on them.

I know a lot of people will mark up their cases instead of their instruments. Keyboards are a lot less personalized than guitars, although there are some great examples, like Bernie Worrell's Clavinet (which was recently sold at auction).
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

I am completely uninterested in theorizing the what why and wherefore however, I find is sad / hilarious that people are so ridiculously OCD about the physical appearance of their gear. I see ads where they mention invisible scratches and and paint chipping on the rack mounting holes. If I am feeling in an exceptionally playful mood I will enquirer as to what effect the cosmetic issues effect the sound. The worst part being that I am forced to consider the way such details effect the value when I buy something because it is certain I will meet these knuckleheads when I go to sell it.
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Maniac

I don't get the "gigging" argument.

I used two NordModular G2Xs for over a decade, during which they were constantly in use, gigged, toured, airplane flights... When I sold them off two years ago, they didn't have so much as one single scratch on them, no loose or wiggly knobs, no visible wear and tear. I've also been using a NordStage2 since they hit the market, constantly gigged, played every day. The keyboard is getting a bit worn out from that (and will be replaced shortly) and the LCD backlight has faded, but otherwise it's still pristine.

These acquisitions were made for purely utilitarian purposes, not "as an investment". I won't lose any sleep over a making a nick in a piece of equipment, but why shouldn't I treat with care and respect the instruments that I love and depend on for a living?

Does that make me less "rock'n'roll"? Possibly. Although my audiences would definitely disagree.

Last edited by Tim Kleinert; 19th August 2017 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Back in my day, we beat up our instruments so badly that I literally would take one key out on stage because it's all that was left of the synth. But man did I ever play the hell out of that key.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

I don't like messy/ruined gear. My guitars are treated well too.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
Imagine Jimi Hendrix with a mint guitar. Jesus...
That's fairly easy - because that's what he played.

He may have burned or destroyed one or two, but they were definitely as close to mint as he could afford.

Those were the days when guitar players still thought that anything older than 5 years was "an old guitar" and "shiny and new" looked cool on stage...

...come to think of it, i am sure most guitar players still like their guitars to look "new and shiny" and leave the relics to the affluent lifestyle buyers...
Old 20th August 2017
I see where the OP is going with this. I have to agree that we use to be a lot less concerned about things having little dings. Most of the synth guys just dont play live a lot I believe.
Old 20th August 2017
Deleted 46dc28f
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Spotless gig cases are even sadder.

Some folks are just a bit anal about that thing. Spotless studios and how do i hide all cables. Immaculate vehicles. I used to be more like that till i had kids and gave up on tidiness hehe. Too much work. Im all function over fashionthese days.

I did watch a milipede and a tiny spider crall into my gear this week via keybeds which was a tad offputting
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Maniac

As mentioned before, I don't consider it rocket science to use or even gig with equipment without it getting full of scratches, dents and whatnot. It's a state of mind, concerned with just caring for the equipment for its own sake. Read Robert M. Pirsigs "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" if you don't understand what I mean...

As a prospective buyer of used equipment, I view such things as indicators of the sellers state of mind, and make my decision accordingly.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

I think one of the main reasons this has changed over the last 15+ years has to do with the marketplace moving online.

Before online marketplaces and your eBay reputation, etc. that would follow you around for the rest of your life, no one was as concerned and given that you can buy any piece of gear in any condition these days from the massive global catalog, you'll always pick the one that represents the best value, the best condition and the most reputable seller....

This is not only the case for our vertical, but all "luxury" goods, including stereos, cars, clothing, jewelry......

I actual appreciate that people are more honest about their descriptions of their gear and that people generally are taking better care of the "good stuff" these days.

I bought my first nice guitar (on layaway) in 1985 and it's still in great condition today - not because I plan to sell it (never), not because it's collectible and valuable (it is) - it's because of a sense of pride and preserving it for my own lifelong enjoyment.

Greg
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

I'm a hobbyist. I make a decent living so I can afford nice things, but if I spend $1500 on a Sub37, it is not earning it's keep. If I abuse it, and it dies, I'm unlikely to spend $1500 on it again because I can't afford to burn money. So, I take care of what I own, and to hell with the "rock and roll" image, which is BS anyway.

When I buy on eBay, I care about condition insofar as condition on the outside is an indicator of how the previous owner(s) treated it, and I care about how they treated is because, well, see paragraph one.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict

I thought people at that age didn't care what other people think...
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim238 View Post
Back in my day, we beat up our instruments so badly that I literally would take one key out on stage because it's all that was left of the synth. But man did I ever play the hell out of that key.
Were you in the Stooges!?

You played that single key on "I wanna be your dog" right?!

I'll buy it!...............as long as you have the original box and manual
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
I'm a hobbyist. I make a decent living so I can afford nice things, but if I spend $1500 on a Sub37, it is not earning it's keep. If I abuse it, and it dies, I'm unlikely to spend $1500 on it again because I can't afford to burn money. So, I take care of what I own, and to hell with the "rock and roll" image, which is BS anyway.

When I buy on eBay, I care about condition insofar as condition on the outside is an indicator of how the previous owner(s) treated it, and I care about how they treated is because, well, see paragraph one.
I'm afraid as a self-admitted "Hobbyist" you know nothing about "Rock n' Roll" if you've never lived it, you've never played it.

You should try abusing that sub37 to death. A funny thing happens when you stop worrying about things and let yourself go. Trash it onstage, load it with an m-80 and blow it up to close the show, inevitably, some hot girl will appear after the gig and insist on buying you a new one or some pseudo-record company owned by a Russian oil oligarch will decide you are a genius and sign you for a $1,000,000 advance..

That's the way it works and I've had those things and countless others happen to me. So as far as Rock n' Roll goes.....don't knock it till you've tried it.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
I'm afraid as a self-admitted "Hobbyist" you know nothing about "Rock n' Roll" if you've never lived it, you've never played it.

No argument here. I don't listen to rock and roll, and I have never like the style or any of the styles descended from it.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
You should try abusing that sub37 to death. A funny thing happens when you stop worrying about things and let yourself go. Trash it onstage, load it with an m-80 and blow it up to close the show, inevitably, some hot girl will appear after the gig and insist on buying you a new one or some pseudo-record company owned by a Russian oil oligarch will decide you are a genius and sign you for a $1,000,000 advance..

That's the way it works and I've had those things and countless others happen to me. So as far as Rock n' Roll goes.....don't knock it till you've tried it.
Cool story bro.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Guru

it's because a lot of serious synth buyers want to get a synth from the kind of person,
who was also someone who never really touched the thing either. that way, they know
it's in good condition and probably will remain that way.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Head

I like to damage my expensive equipment that I work hard for because I'm hardcore. After all I listen to anal ****!
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Jimi's guitar:

Jaco's bass:

Keith's Hammond:

Trent's DX7:

Etc.
Old 20th August 2017
Deleted 13e7993
Funny, I was just thinking about how seeing musicians trash instruments on stage grinds my gears a bit. Lots of hungry upstarts who can't afford gear could have really used that DX7 or Voyager that was casually smashed for no good reason. Schools, too.
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Too many rock stars in here
Old 20th August 2017
haj
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
I think it's because nowadays most keyboards, and especially most synths and modules, are used in home studios.
They simply never get out to gig.
The worst you have to worry about is if it was left for years without any cover, to gather dust and smoke...

Less glamorous for sure, but much better for the used market!
Yeah, and yet makers make promo videos like everybody's playing synths outdoor
Old 20th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino View Post
Trent's DX7:

I'm sure Trent's DX7 sounds much, much better now.
📝 Reply