The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg 770 or 800dv ? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Head

Korg 770 or 800dv ?

Both of these synths are available nearby, and i've been chasing that early korg sound. I know the 800dv is technically more synth, but the 770 seems quite unique.

What would you prefer and why?

Is there anything likely to go wrong with these synths, which would make one more reliable than the other?
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

if I could swing the prices (even temporarily via credit card,e tc), I'd buy both, decide for yourself and sell off the other.

I've had them and really loved the filter and the overall sound of the synths was great. I ended up keeping the 800DV longer because as you said, it's more synth, but either would be a great addition to your setup.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

I don't think the 770 does anything that the 800DV doesn't. They should use the same circuits and everything.
Old 12th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
I don't think the 770 does anything that the 800DV doesn't. They should use the same circuits and everything.
It does. Two independent oscillators through one filter, and it has a separate LFO for vibrato/filter. Two ring mod types (can't remember if 800 has this?), plus the unique filtered noise as well as better pitch mod conyrols. Might be one other things I'm forgetting.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

I've only heard demos but the 770 sounds so primitive and raw. Anyone know a good price for one?
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac

The 770 looks cooler than the 800DV. The 800DV has the voice triggering modes. I went with the 800DV but almost went with the 770. The tone is so rich and pleasant that it just melts in your ears.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
I've only heard demos but the 770 sounds so primitive and raw. Anyone know a good price for one?
It does indeed sound primitive, raw and fat, just listen to the early albums by Simple minds.

The 770 was also used a lot for bass sounds on Human league's Dare,
eg Don't you want me (main bass line), darkness, seconds (single note drones double-tracked), Love action and Sound of the crowd, including the powerful lead riff.
Old 13th August 2017
Lives for gear

Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

770 all day. It's much more rare and the things I use the most on the 770 are only available on the 770. Like the pitched noise, stock external input jack and envelope to filter modulation. Much better mixer section as well. A nice 770 today youre looking at 1000-1500 usd.

The 770 has a quasi repeater section in that one of the lfos can be routed to trigger the gate for trills or basslines etc. And routed to the filter as well.

When considering an 800dv one also has to consider how gigantic and heavy it is. Ridiculous for a mono with its features imho and in the world of easy multitracking today i dont think two of the same synth in one box is needed now. That reason is part of why i got rid of my SH-7. For its function and sound, it took up way too much space for me.
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Head

Great sounds Ned! Thanks for the opinions people.

I went for the 770, its in mint condition and was a fair bit cheaper than the 800dv. Also space is at a premium so I think i'll appreciate its smaller size. I'd still love an 800dv though. even a 700s would be cool.

Is a 700s rendered redundant if you own a 770 ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search