The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SP-404A
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Roland SP-404A

This has just appeared on Instagram.

Is this old news I've missed?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXhjwFkh8Za/
Old 8th August 2017
Here for the gear
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

The fabled Aira sampler!!!
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Seems new , cosmetic update with more green , with tr8 update to. Sequence it.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

I always thought it was just a joke
Old 8th August 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

why is there hashtag analogsynthesizer?! where is the analog?! where?!
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

the a stands for analog. it's not acb, IT'S ANALOG! the worlds first analog sampler.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Does it even have an USB port?
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting approach... but mega disappointing. Missed opportunity to make a new SP featuring some modelling and updated features
Old 8th August 2017
Seems to be no different than a 404sx, unless you hook it up to a TR-8:

"When paired with the TR-8 Rhythm Composer, the SP-404A can be easily triggered via MIDI for syncopated beat and sample production.Through intuitive and meticulous design, the TR-8 can also act as an audio sub-mixer and processor for the SP-404A. Whilst in this format, every sample played through the unit can be altered through the implementation of the TR-8's Scatter feature. With the ability to reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter and much more..."
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear
So its the same as the old model but aira paint job basically? Weird.
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Jeeeez... Was it so hard to adapt the machine to match tr-8 with size and create more intuitive (serious) approach... Noooo, they just repacked the old 404... Meh...
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

I don't get the point? From the specs, its just like the regular SP-404SX , different paint job. They could have at least changed to proper 1/4" jack outputs and maybe added Spdif.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear
Chump change
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Maniac

We wanted an aira sampler. We got one

Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Cuz you can never have enough bile green kit.
Old 8th August 2017
It's the exact same as the SP-404SX, just a change of name and a lick of paint on the faceplate - that's it! Just as over-inflatedly expensive too.
The "partnership" with the TR-8 they try to sell it based on, is no more than what the TR-8 can do with any sampler, or either sampler can do in relation to any sequencer.
This is just as lazy as the "new" MicroKorgs, and even more disgusting as they try to sell it as something actually new. Korg atleast has the decency to say it's just a new paintjob.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

It either has USB (with AIRA link ability) as additional feature over the SX Version or it is not an AIRA sampler
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
It either has USB (with AIRA link ability) as additional feature over the SX Version or it is not an AIRA sampler
No USB, just RCA's like the old 404.

https://www.gearnews.com/roland-sp-4...e-sampler-djs/
Old 8th August 2017
Gear Maniac

You have to update TR-8 to version 1.5 to match this sampler with TR-8 new options. Don't think TR-8 can to this with any other sampler. Honestly don't know, I didn't try that with new update.

Still waiting for proper Aira SP-8
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

If it is also missing the vinyl sim compressor that can be found on the SP-303 and OG SP-404, that would be super stupid and lame.
Old 8th August 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_the_Darc View Post
It's the exact same as the SP-404SX, just a change of name and a lick of paint on the faceplate - that's it! Just as over-inflatedly expensive too.
The "partnership" with the TR-8 they try to sell it based on, is no more than what the TR-8 can do with any sampler, or either sampler can do in relation to any sequencer.
This is just as lazy as the "new" MicroKorgs, and even more disgusting as they try to sell it as something actually new. Korg atleast has the decency to say it's just a new paintjob.
Probably Roland trying to keep sales of the TR-8 afloat after the double whammy of the TR-09 and TR-08.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

This "update" is laughable at best
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Probably Roland trying to keep sales of the TR-8 afloat after the double whammy of the TR-09 and TR-08.
Doubt it, the TR-8 should be doing just fine. You get a TR-8 with extra sounds = 909 808 707 727 and 606, for less than a TR-09 and TR-08 cost. Then you also get proper 1/4" jacks instead of a noisy 1/8", with extra assignable outs. You don't get stuck with a BS (Built in Speaker). And more features in general.

Don't kid yourselves, it's the same programming. If it sounds different it's because the output stage in the Boutiques are worse.

This is just what it looks like, a lazy blatant attempt at squeezing a bit more money from the SP-404, without actually working for it.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

tr8 side theyve added the ability to trigger send a trigger but not play the sound on 808
404 side it looks like theyve just updated the midi note trigger to match the 808.

TR-8 Press pad [16] to select which sound module is
played when you press the [BD]–[RC] buttons.

The color changes each time you press pad [16].
Pad [16]
status Sound module that is played
Lit white The TR-8’s internal sounds are played.
Blinking
yellow

The TR-8’s internal sounds and the SP’s sounds are played
simultaneously.
Blinking
blue The SP’s internal sounds are played.

MEMO
When the pad [16] color is yellow or blue, you can turn the
[TEMPO] knob to select the sample bank (or pattern bank) that is
played by the SP.
Old 8th August 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_the_Darc View Post
Doubt it, the TR-8 should be doing just fine. You get a TR-8 with extra sounds = 909 808 707 727 and 606, for less than a TR-09 and TR-08 cost. Then you also get proper 1/4" jacks instead of a noisy 1/8", with extra assignable outs. You don't get stuck with a BS (Built in Speaker). And more features in general.

Don't kid yourselves, it's the same programming. If it sounds different it's because the output stage in the Boutiques are worse.

This is just what it looks like, a lazy blatant attempt at squeezing a bit more money from the SP-404, without actually working for it.
Thanks for the lecture; I have a TR-8 7x7. I'd prefer a TR-09 and TR-08 because good industrial design is important to me.
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
If it is also missing the vinyl sim compressor that can be found on the SP-303 and OG SP-404, that would be super stupid and lame.
You would think with all the hype about the vinyl sim they would include it.

EDIT: It has the Vinyl sim!
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Green lipstick on a sow already in pigpen.
Old 8th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licudi View Post
Thanks for the lecture; I have a TR-8 7x7. I'd prefer a TR-09 and TR-08 because good industrial design is important to me.
Fair enough, though personally I struggle to see how a built in speaker and polluted 1/8" jack output is good industrial design. Just because they look a lot like the originals, which undoubtedly is nicer and cooler than the TR-8, it doesn't actually make it good design. imho.

The size and battery operation are seriously cool though, and the interface seems well thought out too, that's what would make me consider them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search