The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg MS2000 - Opinions?
Old 22nd January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

a couple of questions as im tempted by demos of this synth.

what are the differences between the MS2000R and MS2000BR?

a few posts claim that the MS2000 is a microKORG with 1:1 knob per function, does that statement hold up with facts?
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Addict

The BR is black.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I in fact traded my MS2000 for a JP08, and it was a terrible mistake.

Now, alongside the JP-08, I own an SH-01a and a TB-03.

The fatal flaw in the MS2000 (for me) was the arpeggiator/sequencer timing drift. A known issue tied to hardware you can't swap out.

When I saw someone had a JP-08 with the little keyboard up on Craigslist and looking for trades, we did a 1:1 swap. I figured, four voice VA for four voice VA, change up the sound palette, pretty straight trade. When I got the JP08 home, I was immediately taken by the depth of its sound.

The MS2000 was marketed as 'virtual analog' at the time and while it had a subtractive architecture, the gnarly noises it made were more about the digital oscillators, the aliasing, the quirks of the model. I appreciated the modulation routing options, and the idea of the sequencer, and while it's capable of a wide variety of sounds, the JP08 sounded more like what I had failed for a decade to squeeze out of the MS2000.

Different strokes for different folks. Ladytron made a lot of great music with an MS2000 in the arsenal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m having more fun and exploring more with my MS2000r. Here’s my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Korg MS2000 - Opinions?-ed8ee073-3d21-4db3-8b15-4ead1a97145b.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vekter303 View Post
"Released in 2003 with an updated sound set, a sharp new black metallic color scheme and dedicated vocoder mic, the MS2000B and MS2000BR provide a combination of playability, expression ....."

As far as I know ... colour, vocoder XLR mic input on panel, new presets.

Quote:
a few posts claim that the MS2000 is a microKORG with 1:1 knob per function, does that statement hold up with facts?
Don't own a microKorg so never tried it, but apparently parameters, patches are interchangeable. Which means you can use an MS2000's knobs to program the microKorg.
Gear Addict

@ tricera

thanks, that helps. the MS2000R seems more widely available than the MS2000BR. i was curious why.

it sounds like theres nothing significant between them as far as sound design goes...

and it would seem the architecture of microKORG and MS2000 are indeed pretty similar.

unless, theres any dissent

cheers!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
I in fact traded my MS2000 for a JP08, and it was a terrible mistake.

Now, alongside the JP-08, I own an SH-01a and a TB-03.

The fatal flaw in the MS2000 (for me) was the arpeggiator/sequencer timing drift. A known issue tied to hardware you can't swap out.

When I saw someone had a JP-08 with the little keyboard up on Craigslist and looking for trades, we did a 1:1 swap. I figured, four voice VA for four voice VA, change up the sound palette, pretty straight trade. When I got the JP08 home, I was immediately taken by the depth of its sound.

The MS2000 was marketed as 'virtual analog' at the time and while it had a subtractive architecture, the gnarly noises it made were more about the digital oscillators, the aliasing, the quirks of the model. I appreciated the modulation routing options, and the idea of the sequencer, and while it's capable of a wide variety of sounds, the JP08 sounded more like what I had failed for a decade to squeeze out of the MS2000.

Different strokes for different folks. Ladytron made a lot of great music with an MS2000 in the arsenal.

That doesn’t sound like a mistake, to be fair!

I’ve just picked one up and looking forward to getting into it...we shall see!
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I hate that Korg abandons things like the MS2000/Radias instead of adding features in an updated model. Can you imagine if they kept what was great about their synths and just released new versions with more voices, filter models, etc? A Radias with KingKORG oscillator and filter models?!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
"Released in 2003 with an updated sound set, a sharp new black metallic color scheme and dedicated vocoder mic, the MS2000B and MS2000BR provide a combination of playability, expression ....."

As far as I know ... colour, vocoder XLR mic input on panel, new presets.
The MS2000BR and the MS2000R (with the latest firmware update) are identical except for color and some new patches you can add yourself. The keyboard versions differ with the addition of the xlr jack on the front panel of the MS2000B.

Korg had customer bug complaints with the original MS2k that went away with a firmware update but trust in the product had already been lost so they just reissued it as a "new" version with a new paint job.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Personally instead of a ms2000 for me there is no debate. For the same price used and polyphony a jp08 boutique sounds way better if one doesn't need a vocoder. and it actually nailed analogue modelling.
I've never thought of the MS2k as being a virtual analog synth. I know it was marketed as one but it doesn't sound very analog to me, never did and I owned one days after it was first released.

When I bought it I just played it at the store not even realizing that it said in tiny lettering "analog modeling synth". It was a complete impulse buy. I picked up a box and went into the checkout lane.

For me it's a knobby digital synth that has a few cool tricks up its sleeve.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post
I've never thought of the MS2k as being a virtual analog synth. I know it was marketed as one but it doesn't sound very analog to me, never did and I owned one days after it was first released.

When I bought it I just played it at the store not even realizing that it said in tiny lettering "analog modeling synth". It was a complete impulse buy. I picked up a box and went into the checkout lane.

For me it's a knobby digital synth that has a few cool tricks up its sleeve.
This has always been my question regarding "VA" synths.
Are they supposed to actually sound analog? Or do they just use analog style synthesis architecture? Or do they have an analog based layout and simply operate like analog synths?

"Analog Modeling" would indicate that the synth should have some sort of analog emulation baked in. Like subtle anomalies in the wave shaping or filter behavior.

The MophoX4 has a Slop control despite it being analog already! I think there are a few synths out there that should be called 'Analog Style' as opposed to 'Virtual Analog'.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Are they supposed to actually sound analog? Or do they just use analog style synthesis architecture? Or do they have an analog based layout and simply operate like analog synths?

"Analog Modeling" would indicate that the synth should have some sort of analog emulation baked in. Like subtle anomalies in the wave shaping or filter behavior.
Back in the 90's manufacturers were definitely shooting for recreating the analog sound but with more features and polyphony and of course more memory recall. That was actually a selling point aka "why would I buy an old poly analog that might break down on me and only has six voices and barely any patch memory?". Funny the MS2k only is a four voice synth.

I don't recall if the microKorg was originally packaged as a VA? I could be wrong but they seemed to stick that "analog modeling synth" in small letters on the MS2k to get into that one in that market when both are essentially the same circuit.

The MS2k does have some analogish traits but so do a lot of digital synths including the farther end of the spectrum FM synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelite View Post
I’m having more fun and exploring more with my MS2000r. Here’s my setup.
I keep my ms2000 on top of a drumstation too

Also, I've made a few ms2000 videos on youtube as well doing an overall walkthrough etc.. still seems pretty popular.
Old 14th August 2020
Here for the gear

What can you say about Arturia MiniLab MkiII? I have a pal who have one BUT he said that something wrong with this keyboard, but he don't know what exactly (some keys sounds strange). I have two options: get new one for a ~100£ (found it here) or get pals for ~65£. What do you think? I don't know if it's worth the risk.

Last edited by SamGreen082; 14th August 2020 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 14th August 2020
Deleted 39941f3
I love it. Great sound, great personality and great sequencer.
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ms2000 is relevant today because it does sound so different to the true analogs ...a good contrast to have in your arsenal.
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
TJT
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post

The MophoX4 has a Slop control despite it being analog already! I think there are a few synths out there that should be called 'Analog Style' as opposed to 'Virtual Analog'.
When these synths came out, it was a revelation. People were not talking about trying to emulate analog slop and stuff like that. It was exciting just to get a synth with a bunch of knobs controlling subtractive synthesis parameters and oscillators that weren't just bad samples. I think the "virtual analog" aspect of it at the time was the fact that it didn't use samples to generate its sound. Immediately before the Nord Lead, in my personal experience from the early 90s, it was just a bunch of keyboards with buttons, a mod wheel and pitch bend, and a ton of menu diving for PCMs and proprietary naming conventions for simple things like ADSR's.
Old 25th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've wanted one of these for over 20 years. Still do. It's a fun synth.
Old 26th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Can anyone recommend a decent gooseneck mic that will fit the MS2K keyboard MK1?

It's kind of a unique proposition as it's a Jack input on the pack of the unit, and most goosenecks seem to be XLR. Add to that, it would need some way of bracing it in the upright positions so it doesn't just roll round on it's own jack...

Anyone using something?
Old 26th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
I've wanted one of these for over 20 years. Still do. It's a fun synth.
lots of knobs, hands on and no mouse required
Old 26th August 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
https://www.thomann.de/at/saramonic_umic_m2.htm and get an adaptor. when i had an ms2000 i used it with a cable mic on a stand. much easier.
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

This is probably a bit late to the discussion, it being several years old now but for anyone who is still interested...

I think the MS2000 is a really excellent & unique synth. It was the first synth I bought as opposed to borrowing synths whenever I could... I've had it for nearly 20 years now & I still keep discovering new nuances and surprises in it...

It doesn't sound anything like an analogue synth really or like any of the other V/A synths either, it really has its own weird sound that I love... nothing like any other synths I own or have heard.

It is incredibly easy to program too.. like falling off a log... It even has a module flow chart screen printed onto the front... the virtual patch matrix is simple but pretty powerful.. you can make a huge range of sounds with it... The DWGS waveforms are great coupled with the other oscillator and although you can't assign an LFO to sweet through the waveforms you can with the modulation sequencer which makes some really interesting weird stuff.

I make weird so called "industrial" stuff (in the TG/Coil sense of the word, not that ****ty American goth techno rock rubbish most people call industrial) & it excels at that sort of thing... I have no idea if it's good for normal music, there's far too much of that in the world as it is.

you can still pick them up second hand for a decent price... I've read many times that the original MicroKorg is the same thing in a much smaller format but without all the knobs per function & without the mod sequencer... also with "better" D/A convertors so it sounds smoother but I love the weird kind of spiky sound of the MS2000...

I would never sell it and I've got loads of other stuff like a Nord Modular G2, a Nord Wave & a Hydrasynth amongst others (all of which are capable of an incredible range of very high quality sounds).. there's still always a place for the MS2000 though, it really does sound unique

I could't care less that it's only 4 note polyphonic (or 2 if you use it to make 2 separate timbres at once)... It can do plenty with just one or two notes... I'm no keyboard player anyway

It's quite big considering there's not much inside it but it looks really nice... a bit like a Poly Six... the rack version is a winner because you can use the patch select buttons as a keyboard!

Don't worry about the black version they brought out slightly later, the only difference is it has an XLR in for a gooseneck mic but you can get the same results plugging into the jack mic in on the back... apparently they put different presets in it but presets are always rubbish in all synths and should be mutilated beyond recognition or erased anyway... Just get whichever one is the cheapest.
Old 29th November 2020
Deleted 39941f3
I had it for 3 years and loved it.
It has a great sequencer, filters and sounds very good.
Gear Head

... yeah, I also love mine.
Due to its layout it also serves quite well as a VA-Plugins controller
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yup, just sold mine due to some financial constraints....minty with original everything including box.. luckily it went to a good home so am happy about that

it will be sadly missed, solid raw sound and knobs for everything.. good bang for the buck
Yul
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They should re-release it
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

To add to what @ zerocrossing said a year ago- Where as Roland puts the same synth engine in damn near everything, Korg abandons what was a really cool platform for something else. Maybe the Radias and other products use tech from the MS-2000, but damn they had an MS looking VA synth with tons of control. Why not just let Moores law push the synth further???
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine just arrived in the post today... A minty MS2000R.
I bought it from a Finnish death metal band called 'Children of Bodum'... I'm scared to turn it on in case I suddenly get possessed by the devil or something.

I've wanted one of these for absolutely ages. So glad to finally have it. It's used by SmallPeople, who are one of my favourite house acts.

I'm going to be throwing this at it, later today:

Old 1st December 2020
Gear Nut

Congrats. Its an underrated machine and reminds me of the DW6000 in many ways but much better.

Currently, I have a pair of MS2000Rs chained together. When you have chaining setup right the slave unit becomes transparent to the user experience except for one specific step - you must remember to save the patch on the slave unit! If you forget you have to sysex dump patches from master to the slave. A bit of a hassle so, reminder to self, don't forget!
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ Simonator

Hah, I used to listen to them when i was young and playing metal. they weren't really the heaviest thing around but had some nice riffs. though we were more into necrophagist, nile and other more technical bands. but they're still quite active. had a play a few times on alexi laiho's signature guitars and they always felt great.

cue 2000s metal cheese

PS: always loved the ms2000. though i like the looks of the keys waaay more. the original off blue/green thing. the black looked a bit boring
📝 Reply