The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SH-01A Boutique!
Old 18th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️

Only if your bedroom is considered a 'professional workplace'
(and if so, that's probably TMI as it is )
Oh, but a lot goes on in my bedroom and I'm a very skilled professional in this area of my home
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I always considered the boutique line a bunch of ridiculous toys, and I reluctantly purchased an SH-01A because I needed thick bass in a very small form factor. Wow am I impressed by it. It sounds so good, I can get great sounds from it pretty fast. It’s also fun to use and it’s really well made. Still don’t understand the decision to not have a dedicated power supply (batteries really??) and no 1/4” output. Really strange design decisions. Other than that, super happy with it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo ➡️
I always considered the boutique line a bunch of ridiculous toys, and I reluctantly purchased an SH-01A because I needed thick bass in a very small form factor. Wow am I impressed by it. It sounds so good, I can get great sounds from it pretty fast. It’s also fun to use and it’s really well made. Still don’t understand the decision to not have a dedicated power supply (batteries really??) and no 1/4” output. Really strange design decisions. Other than that, super happy with it.
By a dedicated power supply do you mean on board or DC through a wall wart? IMO, given the form factor and the target audience USB and battery power makes the most sense since it offers flexibility for more situations where wall power isn't nearby but maybe a laptop or other 5V USB power source is. A regular DC wallwart takes up the same amount of space and offers no other advantages. Nothing of that size I've seen has it's own onboard power supply, even more expensive offerings from boutique companies (eg. Moog, Makenoise, Pittsburgh).

It's sounds pretty darn good except when you really push it to do things that are on the fringes of even the analog SH-101's sweet spots (high resonance, very narrow pulse widths, etc) but the users who require that kind of performance were never going to be happy with a virtual model, no matter how complex, expensive, or how much computer power is behind it. For everyone else's use case it sounds fantastic. Short slider distance seems to be a common complaint but interestingly the distance is only slightly shorter than that of the 101's successor the MC-202, and I've never seen any complaints about the 202 not being able to dial in those same sweet 101-like tones.

I do think Roland missed a beat by not offering this ACB engine in a larger form factor (in addition to the mini version) and they completely missed the point with the System-1. It seems like such a no-brainer after teasing and pussyfooting around for years with products that were named in such a way to vaguely suggest or evoke the memory of the original (SH-201, Gaia SH-01) and yet they don't ever just give the fans the synth they've been asking for in the size and form they've been asking for. That Roland thinks the names of things have more importance and brand power than the actual products themselves is both maddening and fascinating at the same time -- a weird corporate mentality that recognizes they have a marketable past but doesn't fully grasp the scope of what they are sitting on. The analog revival is going to pass them by (if it hasn't already started it's sunset).

It's also somewhat ironic then that Roland gave the 'toy' reproduction a much more solid build than the original could ever hope to have, and coloured it with that slight greenish tinge that some grey SH-101's take on with age. You have to wonder if the 101 they used as the Boutqiue bocolour reference was a ragged old one that someone pulled out of a smoker's closet.

IMO it's the best-realized of the Boutique line 'reproductions' (the all-analog SE-02 notwithstanding). It replicates all the functionality of the original, adds some modern conveniences like MIDI and patch saving, and throws in some very cool extras (second noise source, polyphony) that make it a must-own.
Lives for gear

Quote:
By a dedicated power supply do you mean on board or DC through a wall wart? IMO, given the form factor and the target audience USB and battery power makes the most sense since it offers flexibility for more situations where wall power isn't nearby but maybe a laptop or other 5V USB power source is. A regular DC wallwart takes up the same amount of space and offers no other advantages. Nothing of that size I've seen has it's own onboard power supply, even more expensive offerings from boutique companies (eg. Moog, Makenoise, Pittsburgh).
Yes, a dedicated DC power supply. I don't know what target audience only needs batteries or having the thing plugged into the computer all the time. I'd wager that 95% of these things are sitting on a desk most of the time. And what if you're someone who has a bunch of these in their studio? How do you power them? I guess some kind of USB hub. So weird. How do they overlook this?

As for size and space... my 0-Coast has a friggin dedicated power supply and it's smaller and I'd say is made for the same audience. There's really no excuse.

Quote:
I do think Roland missed a beat by not offering this ACB engine in a larger form factor (in addition to the mini version) and they completely missed the point with the System-1. It seems like such a no-brainer after teasing and pussyfooting around for years with products that were named in such a way to vaguely suggest or evoke the memory of the original (SH-201, Gaia SH-01) and yet they don't ever just give the fans the synth they've been asking for in the size and form they've been asking for. That Roland thinks the names of things have more importance and brand power than the actual products themselves is both maddening and fascinating at the same time -- a weird corporate mentality that recognizes they have a marketable past but doesn't fully grasp the scope of what they are sitting on. The analog revival is going to pass them by (if it hasn't already started it's sunset).
100% agree. It's as if Roland made these things just to spite everyone. THEY KNOW we all want a full-size SH101 reissue. THEY KNOW IT. The market is there. Other brands are killing it with faithful modern reissues. Why do they insist on releasing this stuff like this? So strange. Behringer showed them up big time. I'd be embarrassed if I were them. They've totally missed the boat, and it's probably all due to arrogance.

With that said, the size doesn't really bug me, even the length of the sliders, and I have big hands. I thought it was going to be a lot worse after reading all the complaints about how small it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, a dedicated DC power supply. I don't know what target audience only needs batteries or having the thing plugged into the computer all the time. I'd wager that 95% of these things are sitting on a desk most of the time. And what if you're someone who has a bunch of these in their studio? How do you power them? I guess some kind of USB hub. So weird. How do they overlook this?
You don't need to plug it into the computer to power it from USB, just use a phone charger or similar. It's not functionally any different from using a DC power supply.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life ➡️
You don't need to plug it into the computer to power it from USB, just use a phone charger or similar. It's not functionally any different from using a DC power supply.
Yeah, I know, but that's not a standard way of powering any synth. They didn't even include a USB cable, so batteries are the main way they expect you to power it... very strange.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The original concept behind the Boutiques was that you'd casually noodle with them wherever and then store them inside their fancy box on a shelf. They're like the synth equivalent to a coffee table book, not "pro"/serious by any stretch.

Hence the very nice presentation, limited edition/collector factor, 1/8 connectivity, etc. Some quotes from the behind the scenes interview to get their mindset:
WHAT WAS THE STARTING POINT IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE ROLAND BOUTIQUE SERIES?
Tojo:
Our starting point was that we wanted to create a full-fledged synth in a compact form factor; something that might look like a gadget at first glance, but was capable of producing amazing sounds. We wanted to create a synth that people could casually enjoy, came with a built-in speaker, and could also run on batteries. [...]

THE STANDARD SAMPLING RATE FOR THE AIRA SERIES IS 96 KHZ, BUT FOR THE ROLAND BOUTIQUE SERIES IT'S 44.1 KHZ.
Tojo:
Yes. AIRA uses 96 kHz, as it places priority on sound quality. But we've received feedback from some users that that has made them difficult to use in some situations. We wanted the Roland Boutique series to be something that a lot of people will be able to enjoy, so we went for the standard 44.1 kHz.

Ohnishi:Based on feedback from many users, we decided to use stereo mini jacks for the input/output and headphones jacks. We reasoned that this would make it easier for people to connect speakers and smartphones and such.

THE KEYBOARD HAS TWO OCTAVES. WHAT WAS THE DETERMINING FACTOR FOR DECIDING ON THIS SIZE?
Tojo:
With the keyboard attached, we wanted to make the setup the size of a standard sheet of paper, the size of an easily portable laptop.

Tohyama:So you can fit this setup in a laptop bag. (Laughs.)

Tojo:We went to great lengths to design the packaging as well, which we based on a book style. When you are not using it, you can place it in its package and store it on your bookshelf.
That they became popular sound modules for synth nerds was a surprise, not the plan. They've made some adjustments to the formula since, but the Boutiques still retain a lot of their novelty item DNA.

It's interesting that the Reface, that explore similar ideas, came out around the same time, "causal" must have been in the air.

Anyway, I think this is all hilarious BTW. The Boutiques likely played a big role in making people accept ACB, and they managed that by being aesthetically appealing toy boxes rather than by being serious instruments for studio or stage use.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
[...]

It's also somewhat ironic then that Roland gave the 'toy' reproduction a much more solid build than the original could ever hope to have, and coloured it with that slight greenish tinge that some grey SH-101's take on with age. You have to wonder if the 101 they used as the Boutqiue bocolour reference was a ragged old one that someone pulled out of a smoker's closet.
The aged look is deliberate, they did the same thing with the JU-06A, which has yellowed buttons and a bit dirty grey/black finish. Adds to the nostalgia factor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
The original concept behind the Boutiques was that you'd casually noodle with them wherever and then store them inside their fancy box on a shelf. They're like the synth equivalent to a coffee table book, not "pro"/serious by any stretch.

Hence the very nice presentation, limited edition/collector factor, 1/8 connectivity, etc.

It's interesting that the Reface, that explore similar ideas, came out around the same time, "causal" must have been in the air.

Anyway, I think this is all hilarious BTW. The Boutiques likely played a big role in making people accept ACB, and they managed that by being aesthetically appealing toy boxes rather than by being serious instruments for studio or stage use.
Thanks for that. Really helps understand their ideas being the line. What stood out to me the most was the part about them being surprised that the line ended up being popular with synth nerds. Really??? You make synths that kinda look and "sound" like vintage gear and you didn't expect us nerds to be into them?

This leads me to my next thought. After learning that there's a bigger market for these types of units, why not make them more "pro" by including things like a real power supply, 1/4" out, etc... or why not make bigger "pro" versions that look exactly like the originals? Blows my mind to think they're not aware that exact reissues would be huge sellers.

And what kind of customers did they speak to that told them they'd prefer 3.5mm outs?? Not anyone seriously into music-making... but then again it sounds like that wasn't their target. And to put the synths back in the box and on a shelf... huh? Again, strange.

I only have the SH-01A, but just based on it, I can say it sounds good enough to go onto any track, and "pro" enough for these to be used in studios.

Sure they make the Plug-out stuff, and the GAIA line, but to me, those are different things, and not really what we're all dying for. We want a real SH-101. We want a real 808. We want a real Juno.

Seems like such a missed opportunity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The other advantage is the ubiquity of USB cables and wall chargers means you don't add to your collection of specific use wall warts. Even after I've put labels on the power supplies they seem to inevitably get separated from their host hardware. Or frustratingly a visitor ends up plugging in an adaptor of the wrong voltage or current (or worse, tries to plug an AC wall wart into a device meant for DC) "because the plug looked like it fit".

The only times I've disliked USB power is when there are interference issues -- and that usually boils down to how carefully the devices are designed.

@ drainyoo : One of the odd things I've found is that when a manufacturer releases a device that uses a dedicated DC power supply there's a portion of the customers that yell loudly for the opposite: a USB option because they want to use their gear in portable rigs or with custom battery packs. A good example (and one of the more extreme ones) is the Kilpatrick Go!, designed to take +5V 0.5A USB and convert it into the +24V .3A needed for the Phenol. Not cheap, either... https://store.kilpatrickaudio.com/product/phenolgo
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would like a System 100 and a SH02 boutiques, or a new System 1M with more plugout slots for the mono plugouts and maybe even bitimbrality.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, I know, but that's not a standard way of powering any synth. They didn't even include a USB cable, so batteries are the main way they expect you to power it... very strange.

Actually i like using a slim USB charger WAY more than a wallwart that usually takes two slots in the connector strip,you can`t extend the cable length (or shape...i use an angled connector) to your own like and are cheaper to replace...

the little flimsy micro usb port on the other hand though...
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If Roland had of included a long usb cable and phone charger style plug in the box I doubt there would have been much fuss made at all about it being different from a transformer

Same again with a 1/4" out.
They did need the mini jack for linking other Boutiques but I thought it was a daft decision not to also have a 1/4" next to it. It's £300 plus quid for gods sake ??

I'm always fascinated with these great minds that develope things like the SH01A (and it is an amazing creation !) then lack the common sense to market it as well as they could have.

They need me on board
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL. ➡️
If Roland had of included a long usb cable and phone charger style plug in the box I doubt there would have been much fuss made at all about it being different from a transformer

Same again with a 1/4" out.
They did need the mini jack for linking other Boutiques but I thought it was a daft decision not to also have a 1/4" next to it. It's £300 plus quid for gods sake ??

I'm always fascinated with these great minds that develope things like the SH01A (and it is an amazing creation !) then lack the common sense to market it as well as they could have.

They need me on board
This is exactly my point. Want to make it with 3.5mm out? Fine. Want to make it powered by batteries and USB? Fine. But provide the USB cable and plug and a 1/4” adapter. My Make Noise 0-Coast came with a power adapter, MIDI adapter and a 1/4” adapter. You’re freaking Roland for crying out loud. They even make you buy a $70 case to properly contain these things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The reason the dock is optional is you might want the keyboard dock instead. The boutiques for which a keyboard doesn’t make sense (TB-03, TR-06, TR-08, TR-09) all include a dock.

I will say the dock is overpriced. But micro USB cables (nice braided ones, even) are like $5 for two on Amazon. The ability to power a bunch of boutiques with a single powered USB hub is also very nice.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild ➡️
But micro USB cables (nice braided ones, even) are like $5 for two on Amazon. The ability to power a bunch of boutiques with a single powered USB hub is also very nice.
So if it's so cheap why don't Roland just put one in the box ?

Other manufacturers seem able to provide all you need to get going initially
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

they do, there's four AA batteries in there.
Gear Addict

been considering buying one of these for awhile now.
i want to pair it with the mpc live2 for portability sake.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
been considering buying one of these for awhile now.
i want to pair it with the mpc live2 for portability sake.
just finally got one myself recently, the SH-101 was my first synth 20+ years ago. the SH-01A is even better than i expected.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
The ability to power a bunch of boutiques with a single powered USB hub is also very nice.
Don't do this. Ground loop hell.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a synth that includes everything I need. At the very least you always have to buy your own audio cables (because they don’t know what length you need). Every synth in my studio (except my old Yamaha CS-10) has a USB port and not a single one of them included a USB cable (and if I wanted to use DIN MIDI cables instead, those aren’t included either).

Even iPhones no longer include a power adapter (you do get a USB-Lightning cable but the wall adapters are now sold separately).

Roland at least includes four AA batteries to get you started. Depending on your setup the USB cable you need will be different, so IMO it makes more sense to buy the one you need separately.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_C ➡️
Don't do this. Ground loop hell.
Might be a problem with cheap equipment but not true in my setup. I have 6 boutiques powered by USB, and also sending audio and MIDI over USB. Zero noise (literally zero). I’ve also tested the analog outputs and they’re not noisy either (noise is not zero, of course, but it’s no higher than any of my other gear).

I also have a USB-powered MicroFreak, which only has analog audio output (no audio over USB), and it’s not even remotely noisy either.
Gear Head

Quote:
Might be a problem with cheap equipment but not true in my setup. I have 6 boutiques powered by USB, and also sending audio and MIDI over USB. Zero noise (literally zero). I’ve also tested the analog outputs and they’re not noisy either (noise is not zero, of course, but it’s no higher than any of my other gear).

I also have a USB-powered MicroFreak, which only has analog audio output (no audio over USB), and it’s not even remotely noisy either.
Your luck is better than mine then. I've had issues with some that don't like to share a power supply, like the D-05, which gets super noisy when sharing with anything. But for all of them, I find the noise floor drops when they have isolated power supplies.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
just finally got one myself recently, the SH-101 was my first synth 20+ years ago. the SH-01A is even better than i expected.
Yeah I agree, & my history with the SH101 is on a similar timeline. I just got an SH-01a too a few weeks ago, & it really takes me back & hits those places that Iv missed since my SH101 was stolen in the late 90s .
.I was a big SH101 user up til then since the late 80s & missed it a lot lately after trying to fill its space with VAs etc over the years & recently other analogue monos, & as much as I love the other analogue monos, the SH101 to me is the essential mono synth.
I just could not justify (= lack of funds) paying 1200 £ for a used one.

I was considering the Behringer & may still get one, but the SH-01a really hits the spot.

From my research ( mostly on here) it seems that synth heads that have had or still have an SH101 find the SH01a closer than the MS1 or MS101 to the SH101 sound.
Im still curious @ the MS1 though given its cloned chips etc.

Iv been really enjoying the SH-01a. I would have preferred they left off the touch strips though & expanded the panel to fit that space.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_C ➡️
Your luck is better than mine then. I've had issues with some that don't like to share a power supply, like the D-05, which gets super noisy when sharing with anything. But for all of them, I find the noise floor drops when they have isolated power supplies.
Yeah I know what you mean. When I power my MicroFreak and NTS-1 with a USB-C adapter (one of those ones with three USB-A ports, Ethernet, and HDMI) connected to my laptop, they're both very unpleasantly noisy. The noise goes away if I power them with phone chargers instead.

But for whatever reason, the powered hubs I use in my studio don't have this problem. I do use the USB audio connection for all the boutiques, but as I mentioned, I've tested the analog outputs and they're aren't particularly noisy (no angry bees…just typical hiss around -70 dB). Actually, now that I think of it, I've used several of the boutiques with my laptop using that same USB-C adapter and not had any noise, because I was using the USB audio. Haven't tried the analog outputs in that scenario though.

The thing about the boutiques in particular is I have to power them with a hub, because I also use USB for audio and MIDI (don't want to run three additional cables for each one), and in the case of the TR drum machines, it's the only way to get the individual channels.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectralwaves ➡️
... I just could not justify (= lack of funds) paying 1200 £ for a used one.

I was considering the Behringer & may still get one, but the SH-01a really hits the spot.
i somehow just now realized that i paid roughly the same for this as i did the SH-101 ($350), and i'm honestly not sure which i'd go for if given the choice between them at the same price again. i love the form factor of the SH-01A, just wish it were maybe a little bigger, etc

...and of course:

Quote:
I would have preferred they left off the touch strips though & expanded the panel to fit that space.
this is my biggest problem with some of the older Boutique releases, i wish they had been thinking like they did with the TR-08 and JU-06A all along. they're so close to perfect now.

i'd be pretty surprised if they all weren't repackaged into a more refined mid-sized "pro" version at some point down the road. hoping so. i don't even want full-sized replicas of the originals, something in between would suit most everyone just fine.
Lives for gear

Quote:
From my research ( mostly on here) it seems that synth heads that have had or still have an SH101 find the SH01a closer than the MS1 or MS101 to the SH101 sound.
The MS-1 is not as close as the SH01a.

It is a good deal though and will definitely get you most of the sound.

I find the sequencer on the SH-101 to be one of the main reasons it’s desirable. You don’t get that experience on the MS-1.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I agree, & my history with the SH101 is on a similar timeline. I just got an SH-01a too a few weeks ago, & it really takes me back & hits those places that Iv missed since my SH101 was stolen in the late 90s .
.I was a big SH101 user up til then since the late 80s & missed it a lot lately after trying to fill its space with VAs etc over the years & recently other analogue monos, & as much as I love the other analogue monos, the SH101 to me is the essential mono synth.
I just could not justify (= lack of funds) paying 1200 £ for a used one.

Iv been really enjoying the SH-01a. I would have preferred they left off the touch strips though & expanded the panel to fit that space.
From what I've heard, the Behringer MS-1 sounds pretty decent. If you want something with full size keys and properly spaced controls, and don't want to pay the exorbitant vintage prices for the original SH-101, it looks like a good option. The only chip they claim to have cloned is the CEM3340 VCO (…the IR3109 filter is much more important to the sound), but in any case, it sounds pretty close to me (here's a comparison with the original).

For me, though, the compact size of the SH-01A is a feature, and it also has many significant improvements over the original — patch memory and polyphony being the biggest ones. Most importantly, it totally nails the sound (IMO).

Totally agree about the touch strips. Not only do I never use them (they're only there for use with the boutique keyboard), but they aren't even particularly good ones. You have to apply a little pressure to get them to work reliably, which doesn't work well when it's tilted in either of the upper positions. That space would have been much better used for spacing out the controls so you can actually flip those tiny switches without nudging the sliders next to them. Roland obviously learned their lesson — they got rid of the touch strips in newer boutiques.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
this is my biggest problem with some of the older Boutique releases, i wish they had been thinking like they did with the TR-08 and JU-06A all along. they're so close to perfect now.
Now they just need to break the four voice limit. I don't think it's possible without a major advance in power efficiency in their DSP chips. The current ESC2 chip can only manage four voices, and two of those chips (or their newer BMC chip) would require more power than USB bus power or batteries can reasonably support (not to mention being much more expensive). And if it's not USB/battery powered, the compact form factor no longer makes much sense. So it's not an easy problem (otherwise they would have addressed it by now).

In the meantime, though, four voices is perfect for a Jupiter-4 boutique (with a ProMars mode)!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But for whatever reason, the powered hubs I use in my studio don't have this problem. I do use the USB audio connection for all the boutiques, but as I mentioned, I've tested the analog outputs and they're aren't particularly noisy (no angry bees…just typical hiss around -70 dB). Actually, now that I think of it, I've used several of the boutiques with my laptop using that same USB-C adapter and not had any noise, because I was using the USB audio. Haven't tried the analog outputs in that scenario though.
I'd love to know what USB hub you're using. I've tried a number of multi-USB power solutions and for every single one, once I get more than one Boutique on plugged in, the output gets noisy on the first one I've got powered on. The solution everyone points to is a $20-$40 dongle that amounts to a necessarily over-engineered ground loop, but I'm not going to buy one of those for every each of my Boutiques if there's a quiet USB power solution. For now I just run multiple plugs, but it would be great to consolidate.
📝 Reply