The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SH-01A Boutique!
Old 13th July 2020
Here for the gear

I'm really loving mine. It's so easy to plug it in my computer and start jamming right away. I never fail to find some new cool sounds, and the real fun is tweaking a patch ever so slightly and keep the sound evolving. I can spend hours doing just that!

But I decided to be disciplined and make a full track using my SH-01A only (plus some drum samples and effects). Here, the little blue synth plays the arpeggio, the deep bass, the high pitched strings, the lead, the pads, and even some random-LFO sci-fi sound effects.

It was very well received so I might as well do some more tracks with this setup. Hope you like it too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwWMMjXZ04
Old 13th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavenumber View Post
I'm really loving mine. It's so easy to plug it in my computer and start jamming right away. I never fail to find some new cool sounds, and the real fun is tweaking a patch ever so slightly and keep the sound evolving. I can spend hours doing just that!

But I decided to be disciplined and make a full track using my SH-01A only (plus some drum samples and effects). Here, the little blue synth plays the arpeggio, the deep bass, the high pitched strings, the lead, the pads, and even some random-LFO sci-fi sound effects.

It was very well received so I might as well do some more tracks with this setup. Hope you like it too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKwWMMjXZ04
Well done! The SH-01A is very versatile indeed, especially in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear

Hey, I just got my 01a today. I hooked it up with balanced 1/8" to 1/4" audio cables, but I'm getting no sound when I play or program it. I'm thinking that maybe the cables need to be unbalanced. Is this true? Do I need to order some more unbalanced cables? I'm at a loss here.
Old 27th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom 27 View Post
Hey, I just got my 01a today. I hooked it up with balanced 1/8" to 1/4" audio cables, but I'm getting no sound when I play or program it. I'm thinking that maybe the cables need to be unbalanced. Is this true? Do I need to order some more unbalanced cables? I'm at a loss here.
Turn the volume up on the back
Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear

Yeah, I'm not that stupid. lol That's not the problem. Does it work with balanced and unbalanced cables?
Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear

Nevermind. Figured it out.
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought this very recently and just dug into it for the first time. I can't believe how good it sounds.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I bought this very recently and just dug into it for the first time. I can't believe how good it sounds.
Here here. I was also stunned when I got it how good it sounds. I bought a red one. It has that rubbery sound and sounds bouncy and lively. Peope have no idea how good it sounds when you get 1 on 1 with it. They probs watched some Youtube vids and are a bit prejudice. It's the best sounding 101 out there for your money.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inception7 View Post
Here here. I was also stunned when I got it how good it sounds. I bought a red one. It has that rubbery sound and sounds bouncy and lively. Peope have no idea how good it sounds when you get 1 on 1 with it. They probs watched some Youtube vids and are a bit prejudice. It's the best sounding 101 out there for your money.
I'm still holding on to my Behringer MS-1 for now, but yeah.

Actually, it was a YouTube video that turned me on to it:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's a shame they implemented patch storage as though we were back in 1985 though.
8 banks of 8? Really? :(

Even with my JX8P I now have an expander cartridge that allows me to store thousands of patches.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom 27 View Post
Nevermind. Figured it out.
Might I ask how you managed to solve this? I’m also not able to get any sound from my SH when using the audio outs, the audio over usb works fine. I’m using ADAM HALL 4STAR Y TRS3.5-2TRS 1.5M cable. Ableton is also set up correctly. Should I get a different cable?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepwn View Post
Might I ask how you managed to solve this? I’m also not able to get any sound from my SH when using the audio outs, the audio over usb works fine. I’m using ADAM HALL 4STAR Y TRS3.5-2TRS 1.5M cable. Ableton is also set up correctly. Should I get a different cable?
That cable should definitely work. So either it's faulty (not highly likely) or the issue lies elsewhere.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yea, I managed to make it work.
Quote:
It's a shame they implemented patch storage as though we were back in 1985 though.
8 banks of 8? Really? :(

Even with my JX8P I now have an expander cartridge that allows me to store thousands of patches.
Because once you start doing that, you need to start putting in a new screen, new buttons, the UI complexity starts going up, and you end up in a scroll hole versus actually tweaking the synth. I mean it's not like dialing in a patch on a DX7 or a Korg Prophecy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
This is the one Boutique I had that I kind of miss. The sound was excellent, I really should have sampled it before I traded in. I really liked using the self-oscillating filter to make those gooey sounding goa trance style kick drum sounds, and the unison with PWM could make some serious bass sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton View Post
Because once you start doing that, you need to start putting in a new screen, new buttons, the UI complexity starts going up, and you end up in a scroll hole versus actually tweaking the synth. I mean it's not like dialing in a patch on a DX7 or a Korg Prophecy.
If the Boutique SE-02 has 512 memory slots, I don't see why the SH-01a needed to be limited to merely 64.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm still holding on to my Behringer MS-1 for now, but yeah.

Actually, it was a YouTube video that turned me on to it:

damn those patches sound amazeballs..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the Boutique SE-02 has 512 memory slots, I don't see why the SH-01a needed to be limited to merely 64.
I could definitely use more. It’s so easy to make sounds I like that I filled up all 64 slots in just a few months. The System-8 suffers from the same problem (64 presets per plugout…nowhere near enough).

BTW, the SE-02 only has 128 user slots (640 total; one of the updates added a fourth factory bank). The other four banks are read-only.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
This is the one Boutique I had that I kind of miss. The sound was excellent, I really should have sampled it before I traded in. I really liked using the self-oscillating filter to make those gooey sounding goa trance style kick drum sounds, and the unison with PWM could make some serious bass sounds.
I have six boutiques now, and the SH-01A is still my favorite. Apart from sounding pretty much exactly like a real SH-101, it greatly improves on the original with polyphony, unison, patch and pattern storage, and a lot more. Yeah, the sliders are a bit close together and suffer from short travel, but otherwise this thing is a slam dunk.
Yeah its great im gonna get hack into using mine however i still recall some patches sounding much quieter than others. Any tips on getting patches vol standardised!?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jampot View Post
Yeah its great im gonna get hack into using mine however i still recall some patches sounding much quieter than others. Any tips on getting patches vol standardised!?
It usually needs about +12–15 dB gain. The extra headroom is there to avoid clipping when using the poly and unison modes.

In my case I use the Utility device in Ableton Live, and have the gain mapped to a macro with a range of 12–18 dB. I also use the free Softube Saturation Knob plugin to give it a touch of extra drive. The amount is also mapped to the macros. (The other six macros are mapped to the SH-01A itself. I can share my setup if you’re an Ableton user.)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
It usually needs about +12–15 dB gain. The extra headroom is there to avoid clipping when using the poly and unison modes.

In my case I use the Utility device in Ableton Live, and have the gain mapped to a macro with a range of 12–18 dB. I also use the free Softube Saturation Knob plugin to give it a touch of extra drive. The amount is also mapped to the macros. (The other six macros are mapped to the SH-01A itself. I can share my setup if you’re an Ableton user.)
so you only use it over USB audio? what about over 'real' analogue audio?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Last edited by ibtl; 3 weeks ago at 12:23 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have six boutiques now, and the SH-01A is still my favorite.
Just curious, do you have a JU06A ? If yes, how does it fare ?
Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seems like sh01a production also stopped , wanted to pick one up .
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'd appreciate knowing more about your setup. I'm in the process of building some Ableton templates/chains for several bits of hardware, including the SH-01A (also, SE-02, JD-Xi, Deepmind 6, Microbrute). I'm wanting something simpler than the full on VST editors, as the typically require a fair bit of extra track routing, so I'm curious to see what parameters you've chosen to map, for example.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Just curious, do you have a JU06A ? If yes, how does it fare ?
Thanks.
No, the four voice limit is a dealbreaker for me, so I bought a System-8 instead. It’s awesome. If you’re wondering about the Juno-106 emulation specifically, it’s fantastic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew 71 View Post
I'd appreciate knowing more about your setup. I'm in the process of building some Ableton templates/chains for several bits of hardware, including the SH-01A (also, SE-02, JD-Xi, Deepmind 6, Microbrute). I'm wanting something simpler than the full on VST editors, as the typically require a fair bit of extra track routing, so I'm curious to see what parameters you've chosen to map, for example.
Sure. I’ll export it and post here next time I’m in the studio.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Seems like sh01a production also stopped , wanted to pick one up .
Still seeing them on Amazon (Japan) and Thomann. Shouldn’t be hard to find.
Ah thanks man! Yeah makes sense on clipping front i’ll push my gain on my mixer when i wheel it back out. Its a keeper for sure
📝 Reply